Emergency Medicine 2013-2014 Residency Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
seriously dude, "this late in the cycle"????? It's three weeks in!!!! It's not late at all. If you still have this question in december or something that might be a valid question but i'm just baffled by this question considering many programs won't do anything before the mspe is in (a whopping 1 week ago) and others wait til after acep. I think you forget that many of these programs are getting upwards of 1000 apps... The thought that they have gotten through all of them in the last week is frankly a bit comical. Relax, add if you feel you need to or wait if you don't. Don't forget, most of us in this thread are all med students and nobody has the answer you're looking for... But just like a-holes, everyone here has an opinion. Most of them are uneducated guesses, very few have inside information, and probably none actually know the real answer. Do what you think is right and go with it cuz no amount of uneducated "i think you should..." type advice changes the reality... This is all on you. Sorry for the rant... Just gets old hearing numerous people asking opinions of anonymous posters on this, that, and the other when in reality, they have no better information or insight than you do.

preach on!!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
so ACEP is 14-17th, & if we don't hear from progs tmro/fri, its a waiting game till next fri (18th) whaaaat?:uhno:

So I am with what seems like a good deal of others that have a few interviews and definitely hoping for more. Does anybody know if it really helps (getting interviews that is) to go to the EMRA residency fair and chat with as many programs as possible or 10 minutes'ish each. Thanks.

So I am with what seems like a good deal of others that have a few interviews and definitely hoping for more. Does anybody know if it really helps (getting interviews that is) to go to the EMRA residency fair and chat with as many programs as possible or 10 minutes'ish each. Thanks.

was wondering the same thing - I was planning on hopping over to seattle just for the EMRA fair to try and get a feel for some of the programs, hopefully get my app another look by some. i guess it can't hurt you, but i don't know if it's all that beneficial. oh well, i already paid for the flight.

Any IMGs managed to get EM iv's yet?
(I belong to no iv group)

Thinking ahead about the cold Dec/Jan interviews, what kind of jackets/coats do guys wear? Something over the suit jacket? Thanks!

Thinking ahead about the cold Dec/Jan interviews, what kind of jackets/coats do guys wear? Something over the suit jacket? Thanks!

Thermal under the dress shirt??

growacet-bp.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
lol i meant to the interview/wear into the building + any outside tour of facility. Thermal inside shirt during interviews will have you sweating bullets;)

To all the people who haven't received interviews:

Hang tight! ACEP conference is finishing up on the 17th so I would expect emails to come through NEXT WEEK.

Everyone on this thread is a f*****g rockstar, so i'm sure u will all interview and match happily!

Anyone get an invite from baystate/tufts this AM only to have it turn out to be a glitch or something? I was all excited until I saw the second email :/

Happened to me as well, hope they make up for it by sending a real interview out next week!

Yeah, i did get a odd copy of what i took to be a genuine invite, but nothing i saw to indicate a glitch. What did your secon email say?

I'm just happy/surprised that the Rejection Thread is getting no action;)

Anyone get an invite from baystate/tufts this AM only to have it turn out to be a glitch or something? I was all excited until I saw the second email :/

I got two emails as well but they were both interview offers... no "just kidding" second emails and already booked. Sucks that happened for you that got those emails.

Any IMGs managed to get EM iv's yet?
(I belong to no iv group)
US IMG here, Caribbean student from a fully accredited med school. I received an interview at Sinai Grace/Wayne State and Emory. Still waiting on more...definitely don't feel comfortable enough with just 2.

1 of 2 being Emory is not bad though. Did you rotate there? Also, if you qualified for Emory, you should hear from others soon.

Last edited:
1 of 2 being Emory is not bad though. Did you rotate there? Also, if you qualified for Emory, you should hear from others soon.
I have a rotation there lined up in the ED at Emory this winter, so my guess is that I was offered a courtesy interview. My Step 1 & 2 are both in the 240s, CS passed, and I have 2 Master's degrees in medical field studies...so who knows? My guess is that I will start hearing back from more programs (for better or worse) next week when the ACEP conference is over. Keeping fingers crossed!

What's proper etiquette for declining/canceling interviews? Do you just cancel via Interview Broker or however they contacted you with the offer? Or is there something I'm supposed to do via ERAS?

I'm lucky to have hit my goal number so anything from here on out is 1in-1out. I wanna make sure I properly free up spots for other people.

What's proper etiquette for declining/canceling interviews? Do you just cancel via Interview Broker or however they contacted you with the offer? Or is there something I'm supposed to do via ERAS?

I'm lucky to have hit my goal number so anything from here on out is 1in-1out. I wanna make sure I properly free up spots for other people.
What's your goal? Like 12?

I personally emailed the program coordinators. If they asked me to withdraw on ERAS I also did that, otherwise just the email was it.

As of now, which programs are only offering wait-list spots? From the "interview" thread, I only see Nebraska.

Ok, today is the day. I'm feelin it. Lots of interviews are going to be had by us today.

:luck:

So something to think about... 125 of 161 programs (I leave out the 2 military and 2 Puerto Rico programs) have shown up in the interview invite thread. I think it's feasible to say that if 75% are represented in our fairly small population sample that it's fairly certain that quite a few that aren't represented in the thread are offering or more likely that they have all pretty much started offering now. That's kinda scary... especially hearing that a number of places are full and some places that aren't even represented in the thread are possibly full as well. This was supposed to be a good week, lol :rolleyes:

Good Guy UNM just sent out an email through ERAS. Apparently they usually have a lot more cancellations and have no problem scheduling everyone they invite; this year nobody is canceling.

h15B832BD

Good Guy UNM just sent out an email through ERAS. Apparently they usually have a lot more cancellations and have no problem scheduling everyone they invite; this year nobody is canceling.

h15B832BD

Didn't even apply UNM, but happy to hear a program do this! This sounds like a wise move on their part.

I had been told earlier this year by a PD that a smaller group of people took more of the available interviews last year since there had been a trend of more people applying EM over the past few years especially. The thought was that people freaked about how "competitive EM is getting" and decided to apply way more broadly than had been happening in years past. Seems to be playing out on this board with a few taking a TON of spots and others having almost none. I'm beginning to wonder if the stage is being set for EM to wind up with more unmatched spots if this is true and the potential for scramble positions to be open come March.

More power to the people who have earned the ability to get what they can, just wondering how it will play out in the end. Perhaps more dropped interviews than normal come November as people meet their quota? Can only hope.

Last edited:
For those who were asking if programs send out interviews in waves, I recently got an interview from a place that initially sent out invites over a month ago according to the interview thread. I assumed that place was already full since it was a smaller, newish, community program. I am not sure if I got mine due to cancelations, but there were several dates open (even in November) when I scheduled.

Didn't even apply UNM, but happy to hear a program do this! This sounds like a wise move on their part.

I had been told earlier this year by a PD that a smaller group of people took more of the available interviews last year since there had been a trend of more people applying EM over the past few years especially. The thought was that people freaked about how "competitive EM is getting" and decided to apply way more broadly than had been happening in years past. Seems to be playing out on this board with a few taking a TON of spots and others having almost none. I'm beginning to wonder if the stage is being set for EM to wind up with more unmatched spots if this is true and the potential for scramble positions to be open come March.

More power to the people who have earned the ability to get what they can, just wondering how it will play out in the end. Perhaps more dropped interviews than normal come November as people meet their quota? Can only hope.

Same thing happened last year. Pretty sure it played out in last year's residency/interview threads. Ended up working out okay.

I am admittedly sitting on a couple more than I can attend, trying to figure out how to cancel them without ever meeting any of them. How does one determine fit if they haven't met the other pieces?

I am admittedly sitting on a couple more than I can attend, trying to figure out how to cancel them without ever meeting any of them. How does one determine fit if they haven't met the other pieces?

You'll never have all the answers/know all the "what could've beens" with anything in life. Just like we picked EM b/c we enjoyed it more than the cores/few specialties, but none of us have tried every specialty possible "ent/optho/rad-onc/uro...etc.". If you applied to a bunch of EM progs and got >invites than you can handle, congrats:). First step I'd assume is drop the ones undesirable based on location. Classic example that comes to mind is Wake Forest. It's a great prog that seeks competitive applicants...but truth of the matter is, its in Winston Salem...a tiny ole southern town, which clearly won't be appreciated by a top-applicant who seeks a city-life (vice-versa, with ppl holding on to NYC progs that clearly detest the city-life). Start by dropping the clear location-misfits is my advice. G'luck!

Same thing happened last year. Pretty sure it played out in last year's residency/interview threads. Ended up working out okay.

Agree with others that this is a great problem to have :)

I've had variable success so far; good number of invites, but not at all where I would have expected. Looking forward to checking the "unknowns" out, but would be in a similar position should I get a few more in places I know I'm interested in. Good luck with your decision.

As for last year, weren't there a few scramble spots open in the end? Not sure, but agree that there are more than enough people interested in EM to go around at the end of the day...

You'll never have all the answers/know all the "what could've beens" with anything in life. Just like we picked EM b/c we enjoyed it more than the cores/few specialties, but none of us have tried every specialty possible "ent/optho/rad-onc/uro...etc.". If you applied to a bunch of EM progs and got >invites than you can handle, congrats:). First step I'd assume is drop the ones undesirable based on location. Classic example that comes to mind is Wake Forest. It's a great prog that seeks competitive applicants...but truth of the matter is, its in Winston Salem...a tiny ole southern town, which clearly won't be appreciated by a top-applicant who seeks a city-life (vice-versa, with ppl holding on to NYC progs that clearly detest the city-life). Start by dropping the clear location-misfits is my advice. G'luck!

Winston Salem is NOT my cup of tea.

Winston Salem is NOT my cup of tea.

haha my point exactly. But its a prog that many top-candidates might apply to by "default"...as a throw-in w CMC/UNC. Same state, why not! But hopefully, as they get other invites, they remember to withdraw from WF (and alike).

Agree with others that this is a great problem to have :)

I've had variable success so far; good number of invites, but not at all where I would have expected. Looking forward to checking the "unknowns" out, but would be in a similar position should I get a few more in places I know I'm interested in. Good luck with your decision.

As for last year, weren't there a few scramble spots open in the end? Not sure, but agree that there are more than enough people interested in EM to go around at the end of the day...
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't understand what the confusion is here. You (not singling you out... using "you" to mean everyone in this boat) applied to a lot more programs than you could apply to for one reason... security. If it was feasible to JUST interview in places you were truly interested then most of us would interview at about 5-10 spots at most, BUT... most people don't have the luxury of knowing that we can interview anywhere we want. For that reason we put a LOT more places on our list than we really want to go to but when you get enough interviews at places that you know you would be happy with there will ALWAYS be a place or two on your list that you look at and you clearly recognize as bottom of the list. Drop em. You know that there are 10-12 places that you would like to interview at more. Drop the others. You're not doing anything but screwing everyone else (including the programs) by holding onto interviews that you KNOW you don't want to do. I don't understand the confusion or hesitation here. Again, not singling out the quoted posters as much as just bringing the point because I KNOW there are at least a few others that are holding interviews that they KNOW they don't want but that many others would be VERY happy to get.

I used location when screening. Specifically avoided some of the majorest of major cities. Also tried to screen out places with more limited employment opportunities for the SO. Will adjust the filters and rescreen.

You know that there are 10-12 places that you would like to interview at more. Drop the others. You're not doing anything but screwing everyone else (including the programs) by holding onto interviews that you KNOW you don't want to do. I don't understand the confusion or hesitation here.

While its true there are places on my application list that are more for "security," I personally have not been getting invites at those programs. Am genuinely interested in checking out the programs I've been invited to, but should I get invites to more of my "top choice" programs, I have no desire to take 20+ interviews either (I currently have 10 invites, so not exactly in trouble of this yet anyhow).

I don't think anyone here disagrees with your sentiment in context of "taking invites one really doesn't want," but that's not the boat I'm in. I took the other comments related to this to be of a similar nature, but I can't speak for others.