Edward Via - Virginia (VCOM-VC) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone received a VCOM username/password email yet or know when we will? If you did get the email how long after your pre-check was received did you have to wait?

I've set mine up. It was probably a few weeks after the background check. Not too sure on the exact date.

does anyone know how full the class is? and are they still sending out interview invites? I know its really later in the cycle now but I was gonna submit my supplementary today. should i just forget it? 26mcat, 3.71cgpa, 3.5 sgpa

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know how full the class is? and are they still sending out interview invites? I know its really later in the cycle now but I was gonna submit my supplementary today. should i just forget it? 26mcat, 3.71cgpa, 3.5 sgpa
If I were in your shoes, I would apply as early as possible for the next cycle.

I've heard radio silence since December after submitting my secondary. So your call.

Submit it..you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Reactions: 1 users

You wouldn't be alone. I'm submitting tomorrow

Just submitted a secondary today. I found it interesting they are requesting secondaries so late but thought I might as well.

Those who were considering submitting, I'd say do it - I just received an interview today and submitted my secondary sometime in February. So I think all hope is not lost :)

Reactions: 3 users
Those who were considering submitting, I'd say do it - I just received an interview today and submitted my secondary sometime in February. So I think all hope is not lost :)

Are you from the region?

Reactions: 1 user

Good luck! There are still seats up for grabs so I hope you own that interview. My best piece of advice is not to get nervous.

did anyone else send in their supplementary application and fee recently? If so, how long after did vcom send a confirmation email that everything has been received?

Members don't see this ad :)
did anyone else send in their supplementary application and fee recently? If so, how long after did vcom send a confirmation email that everything has been received?

took about a week when i applied

Just sent mine in this past Sunday.

Anyone know the typical turnaround between complete date and interview invite?

Hey how are the accepted students looking/finding roommates?

Last edited:
Are you from the region?

Not exactly - I'm from Massachusetts but have been living in Northern Virginia for almost 3 years now.

Good luck! There are still seats up for grabs so I hope you own that interview. My best piece of advice is not to get nervous.
Thank you! I'm excited about the interview and hope not to be nervous :)

Not exactly - I'm from Massachusetts but have been living in Northern Virginia for almost 3 years now.

Thank you! I'm excited about the interview and hope not to be nervous :)

Thanks for the reply. Hope things go well for you at the interview!

So VCOM actually has interviews on Mondays??my date falls on a Tuesday...and it just seems so hard not to miss at least 2 days of work in order to attend this interview

Is anybody on this thread a wait list applicant for the Virginia Campus? I recently interviewed and am on the wait list. If so, do you know based on past experiences how likely one is to get off the wait list? For example, do many people tend to get off the wait list, or is it just random year by year? Also, does anybody that was wait listed and accepted here have any recommendations how to work with admissions through this process? Thanks!

Is anybody on this thread a wait list applicant for the Virginia Campus? I recently interviewed and am on the wait list. If so, do you know based on past experiences how likely one is to get off the wait list? For example, do many people tend to get off the wait list, or is it just random year by year? Also, does anybody that was wait listed and accepted here have any recommendations how to work with admissions through this process? Thanks!
I totally second this question, I am waitlited as well! In the email, did you respond? If so did you respond to jjordan email or the julie mills one? I ask because if you click on the jjordan email it goes to juliemills email…I emailed jjordan and I haven't gotten a response in a few days!

Yes, I responded initially to the wait list email, and it went directly to the general admissions email. I had a question after that, and I emailed Julianne directly. Im not sure about the email switching to Julie's, but maybe others would have advice on that? If they don't have anything new to tell us (whomever is on the wait list), that would be my guess as to why there wasn't a direct response. Praying for an acceptance to us both!

Yes, I responded initially to the wait list email, and it went directly to the general admissions email. I had a question after that, and I emailed Julianne directly. Im not sure about the email switching to Julie's, but maybe others would have advice on that? If they don't have anything new to tell us (whomever is on the wait list), that would be my guess as to why there wasn't a direct response. Praying for an acceptance to us both!
Awww I agree! I ll be praying for us too ;) So did you get a response??? I know they accept quite a few get accepted off waitlist ;)

I had an interview not too long ago. The admission committees told our group that the class is currently not full. However, the reason is because there are still people who have yet to decide whether they want to attend or not. Last year, they had 30+ spots from the waitlist moved into the class. My advice is if you do receive an interview invitation, do really well on it. You both have a chance since I know someone who got an interview last March and is currently attending first year.
What was the interview like? What should one expect? what should one know going in other than the basic why DO, why doctor, why this school?

There are different interviewers and each ask different questions regarding to the application. Please know that the faculties have read your file so if there is any red flag in your application, you should address it and turn it in your favor so they can advocate for you during the meeting. Don't get too nervous and remember that you need to be able to handle the conversation no matter what questions they throw at you. For example, they asked me about my experience with OMM (instead of why DO). I thought I did well on my interview, but still got wait listed. Good luck to you.

Yes, I received the same e-mail. It would be my guess that it is their generic wait list email, but I could be wrong on that. I hope everything works out for you, and congratulations still on your other acceptance!

Did you two also get this? "Thank you for your patience during our application process. Your application has been carefully reviewed by the Admissions Committee, and I am pleased to notify you we have placed you on our Waiting List for acceptance. Although we do not have a seat currently available in our Class of 2019, please know we are extremely interested in your application. We will utilize the Waiting List to fill any seats that become available in our Class of 2019, which will matriculate this August. In the event we do not experience enough movement in the class to proceed with admission for this year, your application will be evaluated regarding early admission to the Class of 2020. Competitive candidates will receive the opportunity for early admission to the VCOM – Virginia Campus."

Honestly, I am a bit disappointed because another school just accepted me. I may attend there instead, even though VCOM is my higher choice.

Sorry about the last post. I must of messed up where I posted my reply. To answer your question, yes I received the same e-mail.

@kenjixshadow : what were you scores if you dont mind me asking? Did you have any connections to the school/region? Did you shadow a DO? Sorry to hear but Im rooting for you to get in!!!!

Oh okay, so technically they sent a generic email and we don't know where we stand in the waitlist. Sorry to be pessimistic, but if we are in the low end of the waitlist, we have less chance to get in. :thinking:

I don't have a competitive MCAT score. I have no connection to the school and am not from the region, I live in the other side of country. I shadowed a DO and got a letter. Actually, I'm rooting for you to get in. I'm already in, just at a different school and I also like it a lot. When I put down my deposit there, I'll withdraw my application at VCOM. The reason is I will have to put down another deposit at VCOM acceptance ($1500 I think), when I can use that money to travel and go to EDC this summer.
@kenjixshadow, I don't know you but what a great way to have fun before med school!lol EDC is awesome!

Congrats to anyone who got accepted! Cannot be happier to have you in the Class of 2019.

Those who are waitlisting, don't lose hope yet because I know several people who haven't decided! "Come on! Don't hold back the seats!"

To those who have received an ii, let me know if you need any help. To those who I helped, please let me know how it went so that I can adjust my advice/comments to accommodate others ONCE like you!

Thanks!

:D:rolleyes::D

@kenjixshadow, I don't know you but what a great way to have fun before med school!lol EDC is awesome!
I am on the waitlist and received the same email! do you guys know when they rank?? and how many are on the waitlist in general…they haven't answered an email or call and I don't want to be pushy! This is my number one school and pretty much the only school I applied to this year so if anyone has any info please let me know…It would be a blessing to be accepted finally after all this! staying in faith =)

Congrats to anyone who got accepted! Cannot be happier to have you in the Class of 2019.

Those who are waitlisting, don't lose hope yet because I know several people who haven't decided! "Come on! Don't hold back the seats!"

To those who have received an ii, let me know if you need any help. To those who I helped, please let me know how it went so that I can adjust my advice/comments to accommodate others ONCE like you!

Thanks!

:D:rolleyes::D
Thank you! I truly appreciate your encouragement. I am on the wait list, and trying to keep the hope! VCOM is my number one choice by far. The interview really distinguished itself for me from other medical schools. I love it here!

I am on the waitlist and received the same email! do you guys know when they rank?? and how many are on the waitlist in general…they haven't answered an email or call and I don't want to be pushy! This is my number one school and pretty much the only school I applied to this year so if anyone has any info please let me know…It would be a blessing to be accepted finally after all this! staying in faith =)
I believe that anyone on the wait list could potentially come off of it prior to May. However, I believe it is in May when they rank the wait list. I could be wrong about that though, if anyone else wanted to clarify? I am not sure how many are on the wait list, but I would love to know that! I am in a similar position to you. VCOM is my number one choice as all. Let's hope we both get accepted off of the wait list! It would really be a blessing and make a great summer if we were to be accepted. Keeping the faith with you!

I believe that anyone on the wait list could potentially come off of it prior to May. However, I believe it is in May when they rank the wait list. I could be wrong about that though, if anyone else wanted to clarify? I am not sure how many are on the wait list, but I would love to know that! I am in a similar position to you. VCOM is my number one choice as all. Let's hope we both get accepted off of the wait list! It would really be a blessing and make a great summer if we were to be accepted. Keeping the faith with you!
U ive in the region?

Outside of Philadelphia. Not in the city, but a relatively rural area yes. I have big connections with rural areas within my family, which is where I tied it together in my interview

Does the interview day definitely ends at 2:30? as in does the tour of the school takes up the whole hour as the schedule shows (1:30-2:30)?I have a bus to catch in Christianburg at 2:55 (only bus available that day), google maps tells me that its a 10 min drive from the school to "Christiansburg, VA, Route 460 Roanoke Rd, Park and Ride opp Hubbell Drive"...any local here or someone who knows the area pretty well? Is it usually easy to get a cab in the VCOM area? Thanks

Does the interview day definitely ends at 2:30? as in does the tour of the school takes up the whole hour as the schedule shows (1:30-2:30)?I have a bus to catch in Christianburg at 2:55 (only bus available that day), google maps tells me that its a 10 min drive from the school to "Christiansburg, VA, Route 460 Roanoke Rd, Park and Ride opp Hubbell Drive"...any local here or someone who knows the area pretty well? Is it usually easy to get a cab in the VCOM area? Thanks

Call the school and ask them what time they usually end. I can't remember when mine ended but we spent maybe 20 mins on the tour at most.

I would call a cab the day before and let them know when you need them. Or during the tour let Mrs. Sampson know that you would like to check call a cab to be ready for your quick turnaround.