Edward Via - Virginia (VCOM-VC) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys I've been accepted to vcom-auburn and would appreciate it if a current vcom student could answer some questions for me. I'm trying to decide between vcom-auburn and another school. My situation is pretty unique and I would appreciate someone answering some questions I have. If you wouldn't mind helping out, send me a message or let me know and I can message you

Members don't see this ad.

Just withdrew my seat from VCOM-VC. LOVED the school, but a better option was just offered to me this week. Good luck to you all!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
interviewing next week on the 21st. is this just for wait list at this point? how long typically til you hear back after interviews? it looks like a lot of people it was just 2 days.

Any tips on interview questions or what to expect?

Accepted! I received the call Thursday afternoon, 1/15!
…this is my first post on SDN. Best wishes everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
interviewing next week on the 21st. is this just for wait list at this point? how long typically til you hear back after interviews? it looks like a lot of people it was just 2 days.

I interviewed on 1/6 and was accepted on 1/15.

Any tips on interview questions or what to expect?

Not sure about your first question, but I heard back in a week (interviewed in October). As for what to expect, my experience was pretty laid back. You know how they always tell you not to be nervous and that they just want to get to know you better? For once, this was actually true. From the faculty, I was asked a few questions that were semi-related to my application, but a lot of it was just conversation. Nothing like "what do you think is the biggest problem in healthcare" or any ethical dilemmas. The student interview was more about me and my study habits. Best of luck!

--Are there any current students who would be willing to answer a few questions for me? I'm trying to decide between VCOM and another school and it's tearin' up my heart :/

Not sure about your first question, but I heard back in a week (interviewed in October). As for what to expect, my experience was pretty laid back. You know how they always tell you not to be nervous and that they just want to get to know you better? For once, this was actually true. From the faculty, I was asked a few questions that were semi-related to my application, but a lot of it was just conversation. Nothing like "what do you think is the biggest problem in healthcare" or any ethical dilemmas. The student interview was more about me and my study habits. Best of luck!
:/

Thanks for the information. Did they ask you many 'interview' type questions? Things like 'whats your biggest weakness, tell me a time you had to work as a team', stuff like that? I never feel genuine answering questions like that, and I'm getting nervous about the interview.

Thanks for the information. Did they ask you many 'interview' type questions? Things like 'whats your biggest weakness, tell me a time you had to work as a team', stuff like that? I never feel genuine answering questions like that, and I'm getting nervous about the interview.

I PMed you!

Look forward to hearing your good news!

Interviewed back in December and got accepted. Let me know if I could be any help! I prefer PM for personal questions/recommendations/advice.

Best,

Reactions: 1 user
For current VCOM students.... any advice on possible townhomes to rent that would allow a German Shepherd? He is super well behaved and nice, but I'm having trouble finding a place that will allow him . Also, any advice on what to do with my year off before starting? I've been out of school since May 2014. Should I study anything or just enjoy the time off?

Ill be starting at VCOM VC this August.

Feel free to PM me as well if you'd rather do that.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Any II's recently? I've been complete since August and really feel like a good fit, just hoping to receive an invitation soon

@Mmmargarita

What other school you deciding on?

Thanks for replying!! I'm trying to decide between VCOM-VA and PCOM-PA :\ I like VCOM more and they made a better impression on me when I went in for my interview. Also, I really like that they have such great service programs and since it's a smaller school I feel like it will be easier to get the support from admin/faculty (which might be lacking at a larger school). But I'm conflicted because PCOM is more established and has strong ties w/ hospitals in the area, and in general it's more well known. So obviously both schools have their pros, which is why I'm stuck.

I don't know if I should try to call, but I haven't heard anything any direction. I'm getting paranoid because I love this school.

Thanks for replying!! I'm trying to decide between VCOM-VA and PCOM-PA :\ I like VCOM more and they made a better impression on me when I went in for my interview. Also, I really like that they have such great service programs and since it's a smaller school I feel like it will be easier to get the support from admin/faculty (which might be lacking at a larger school). But I'm conflicted because PCOM is more established and has strong ties w/ hospitals in the area, and in general it's more well known. So obviously both schools have their pros, which is why I'm stuck.

I hope you will choose VCOM, it is such an amazing school and it seems like you would make a great addition to the class. In regard to rotation sites, from my discussions with current students you can set yourself up with rigidly structured rotations in the Hampton Roads metro, or you can stay in the southwest and have a great deal of flexibility. It seems that if you are resourceful you can get yourself really amazing experience and perhaps better access than some of the more structured rotations.

Last edited:

I totally agree with you about "the support" that VCOM provides us with! Always had and always will! Cannot emphasize how many times those words such as "family" and "welcoming atmosphere" are repeated by current and visiting students.

I hope you will choose VCOM, it is such an amazing school and it seems like you would make a great addition to the class. In regard to rotation sites, from my discussions with current students you can set yourself up with rigidly structured rotations in the Hampton Roads metro, or you can stay in the southwest and have a great deal of flexibility. It seems that if you are resourceful you can get yourself really amazing experience and perhaps better access than some of the more structured rotations.

Why do you say rigidly structured in HR?

Hi everyone! VCOM told me they would consider sending me a secondary after seeing my FA'14 grades. I turned them in and they decided to give me one. I returned in within hours and received my complete email in January.

I'm happy, of course that I am still under consideration, but what do you guys think my chances are of actually getting an interview this late in the game? I love this school and would love to receive an interview here!

Anyone interviewed last month on January 20 or after heard back anything yet?

has anyone had any luck talking with someone in their admissions department? I have called for the past couple of days and keep getting voicemails.

I'm in! They called at 1:30 today.

Reactions: 3 users
Got a voicemail notification at 1420...was licking my wounds from a rough shift the night before and taking a nap. I'll see you guys in August!

Interviewed 1/8 and was waitlisted. I'm psyched.

Reactions: 2 users
Got a voicemail notification at 1420...was licking my wounds from a rough shift the night before and taking a nap. I'll see you guys in August!

Interviewed 1/8 and was waitlisted. I'm psyched.

Congratulations! Guess what? You don't have to wait untill August! The Accepted Student day is nearby! Come and greet!

Heh...we'll see. I work 24 hour shifts and have a 5 month old. Not sure if I will be able to swing a visit. We'll see.

I'm in! They called at 1:30 today.

Oh. I read the forum bottom-up! Didn't notice your post!

Congrats! Very happy for you! Go celebrate! Is this your top choice?

When is accepted student day? Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Oh. I read the forum bottom-up! Didn't notice your post!

Congrats! Very happy for you! Go celebrate! Is this your top choice?

I appreciate it brother! After I interviewed here it became my number 1. And I'm partying alright, raging in the ED as a scribe until midnight! Cheers!

9681YgZ.jpg

I am on a wait-list at VCOM-VC. Does anyone know how they rank their wait-list?

Hey folks, recently decided to apply here. Anyone have a good pulse on where they are on their admissions timeline? In other words, have they filled a majority of their class/is this very late in the application cycle/are they interviewing for wait list spots?

Hey there! do you guys know their acceptance rates for students who have been interviewed? I found some data but it was from like 2007 and I am thinking its very different now.

Hey folks, recently decided to apply here. Anyone have a good pulse on where they are on their admissions timeline? In other words, have they filled a majority of their class/is this very late in the application cycle/are they interviewing for wait list spots?
I can't really help you, but I submitted my application here mid-January and have only received an email saying that my file was complete.

Tough to say. You can look at the old threads to get an idea of when you are interviewing for wait list spots. From what I have seen in the previous two years, it seems to be between the end of Feburary to mid March. However, there are three VCOM schools now, so the dynamic of interviewing and acceptance will be different.

Hey everyone, quick question. I am sure this has been answered beforehand, but I JUST received a secondary invitation after I submitted my application in July 2014. Is there any point in me filling out the secondary? I do not want to fill out a secondary just to lose money and not receive an interview invite.

Hey everyone, quick question. I am sure this has been answered beforehand, but I JUST received a secondary invitation after I submitted my application in July 2014. Is there any point in me filling out the secondary? I do not want to fill out a secondary just to lose money and not receive an interview invite.

I would fill it out. They must screen their secondaries pretty hard because it took quite a while for me to receive one also. Btw, as of this week, I know they are still sending out interview invites, with opportunities to interview next week.

I would fill it out. They must screen their secondaries pretty hard because it took quite a while for me to receive one also. Btw, as of this week, I know they are still sending out interview invites, with opportunities to interview next week.
Thanks. I logged in but for some reason my entire application is locked and the form can not be edited. Not sure how to go past this, tried called the admissions but like usual as the last couple of weeks, no one picks up. I sent an e-mail and hopefully it gets fixed

Yup fill it out theres always a chance and they screen hard. They wouldn't have kept your app for such a long time either

Always be careful with primaries because the schools do have an estimated timeline as to when they will most likely be reviewed. In the case of VCOM, it should be 2-3 weeks. If it has been beyond 3 weeks, you should check with the school. This happened to me were the secondary was not sent 3 weeks after my primary was verified (maybe an emailing error ?). When emailed the VC office, they sent me the secondary the next day. Be very vigilant with your app.

Always be careful with primaries because the schools do have an estimated timeline as to when they will most likely be reviewed. In the case of VCOM, it should be 2-3 weeks. If it has been beyond 3 weeks, you should check with the school. This happened to me were the secondary was not sent 3 weeks after my primary was verified (maybe an emailing error ?). When emailed the VC office, they sent me the secondary the next day. Be very vigilant with your app.
I had contacted them multiple times and they kept informing me that my app was still under review for a secondary. I guess I just wasn't competitive enough to receive a secondary from them. It's weird though because I got accepted for two other schools and am now debating on whether I would really consider this school over the others

I had contacted them multiple times and they kept informing me that my app was still under review for a secondary. I guess I just wasn't competitive enough to receive a secondary from them. It's weird though because I got accepted for two other schools and am now debating on whether I would really consider this school over the others

Seem strange. If you have been accepted to other schools, you must be competitive stat wise. Congrats to you none-the-less. I hope your happy wherever you go.

Seem strange. If you have been accepted to other schools, you must be competitive stat wise. Congrats to you none-the-less. I hope your happy wherever you go.
Thanks a lot, I appreciate it. I got accepted to Touro NY Harlem so I thought I was competitive for VCOM. I am debating whether I would rather go to this school or go to NYC. I love Virginia tech, hell, I went there for undergrad and grad school. But I am really only going to turn in the secondary if I really would rather go here because I don't want to unnecessarily take up a possible interview slot for someone who really wants or needs it, compared to me who is still on the fence. I am going to sleep on it and decide which school I would rather.

Thanks a lot, I appreciate it. I got accepted to Touro NY Harlem so I thought I was competitive for VCOM. I am debating whether I would rather go to this school or go to NYC. I love Virginia tech, hell, I went there for undergrad and grad school. But I am really only going to turn in the secondary if I really would rather go here because I don't want to unnecessarily take up a possible interview slot for someone who really wants or needs it, compared to me who is still on the fence. I am going to sleep on it and decide which school I would rather.

Yeah, Touro NY is a really good school. Since you have ties to Virginia, I can see why it would be a tough choice.

Has anyone received a VCOM username/password email yet or know when we will? If you did get the email how long after your pre-check was received did you have to wait?

Has anyone received a VCOM username/password email yet or know when we will? If you did get the email how long after your pre-check was received did you have to wait?

It should come shortly..maybe check your spam folder.