Edward Via - Virginia (VCOM-VC) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Woohoo! First to post. How friendly is VCOM-VC toward out of state residents? I think I heard that they are friendly toward Appalachian states. Would NY count?

Do I have a shot? Grew up in Roanoke, student at Virginia Tech (engineering major), got a LOR from a faculty member in VCOM. Basically, I'm born and raised in VCOM's backyard my entire life. Will that matter enough to make up for my stats:

3.33c/3.14s/23

MCAT breakdown: 7 ps / 11 vr / 5 bs

If you don't think I have a shot, no need to sugarcoat it. I'm just trying to decide whether it's even worth it to apply this year or if I should just take the MCAT again after studying harder for it and apply next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do I have a shot? Grew up in Roanoke, student at Virginia Tech (engineering major), got a LOR from a faculty member in VCOM. Basically, I'm born and raised in VCOM's backyard my entire life. Will that matter enough to make up for my stats:

3.33c/3.14s/23

MCAT breakdown: 7 ps / 11 vr / 5 bs

If you don't think I have a shot, no need to sugarcoat it. I'm just trying to decide whether it's even worth it to apply this year or if I should just take the MCAT again after studying harder for it and apply next year.
I really think that your BS will hurt your chances. I think if you can bring it up, and another point for your PS as well, you'd be a really good candidate. I'd shoot for an 8 in each section.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Reactions: 1 user
I really think that your BS will hurt your chances. I think if you can bring it up, and another point for your PS as well, you'd be a really good candidate. I'd shoot for an 8 in each section.

Posted using SDN Mobile
Interesting. I didn't receive a secondary from here and was told that my 27 mcat was too low in my rejection email.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Instead of rushing through studying though and trying to do it again in July, I'm gonna pace myself and just apply next year. No sense in trying again really quickly and just increasing by a few points. That's just going to hurt my application more.

Interesting. I didn't receive a secondary from here and was told that my 27 mcat was too low in my rejection email.

I read the thread from last year and it seems that for those who applied later in the application period, this was the case. I think people who applied in June or July didn't run into this and did get secondaries.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Instead of rushing through studying though and trying to do it again in July, I'm gonna pace myself and just apply next year. No sense in trying again really quickly and just increasing by a few points. That's just going to hurt my application more.

I read the thread from last year and it seems that for those who applied later in the application period, this was the case. I think people who applied in June or July didn't run into this and did get secondaries.
Nailed it right on the head. I applied at the end of september and didn't hear back about not getting a secondary/rejection until February or march. I think they fill up pretty early or at least they filled up fast this year.

Woohoo! First to post. How friendly is VCOM-VC toward out of state residents? I think I heard that they are friendly toward Appalachian states. Would NY count?

According to the Website, they admit 65% Appalachian students, and 35% non-Appalachian students. Here is the link:
http://www.vcom.edu/aboutvcom/recruitment.html. Also, it states that they have a particular interest in students from VA, SC, NC, and TN. I am not sure as to the stats necessary for out of state/region. I would imagine that you would need to be average or above in order to get in out of state. Maybe someone else has more info on that part. Anyway, I hope this helps!

Hey guys! If my MCAT comes back solid I'll be applying here this year. I'm a VT grad from VA with a 3.4 GPA currently living in Roanoke. I'm expecting an MCAT score on the low side.

I've heard of people getting in with 21s and 22s. (One was African American, one was from rural VA, and the other in the military). Do you guys think that's a huge risk to take? I have experience volunteering in a neighboring town to Blacksburg amongst other connections to the school.

Just crossing my fingers to get a 25+ on my MCAT from yesterday... It was harder than any AAMC practice test :(

applied today; hopefully they consider northern Virginia as part of the "Appalachian region" lol

Hey guys, I'm not sure how this school views multiple MCAT's, but I know most view the highest score. If thats the case, do you think 10/7/10 followed by 10/6/10 would be ok for this school. It seems as if osteopathic schools place more emphasis on the composite scores than individual subscores.

Thanks!

Does VCOM not post a match list? I cannot find it and if anyone can either post it or let me know where I can find it I'd appreciate it!

Hey guys, I'm not sure how this school views multiple MCAT's, but I know most view the highest score. If thats the case, do you think 10/7/10 followed by 10/6/10 would be ok for this school. It seems as if osteopathic schools place more emphasis on the composite scores than individual subscores.

Thanks!
most schools take the highest single sitting. As long as the 27 is not expired, that is what most schools will look at.

Members don't see this ad :)

They post on their website their average is 25-26. How is a 27 too low? thats higher then their average!

They post on their website their average is 25-26. How is a 27 too low? thats higher then their average!
Because I'm getting caught up about my low verbal score! I mean you can get a 27 by getting 13-1-13, so that why I was asking how much a 7 would hurt me.

most schools take the highest single sitting. As long as the 27 is not expired, that is what most schools will look at.
Because I'm getting caught up about my low verbal score! I mean you can get a 27 by getting 13-1-13, so that why I was asking how much a 7 would hurt me.

it won't. as long as your GPA's are not horrible, I would expect enough interviews to get in somewhere.

Nah a 27 is fine. The 7 would most likely hurt you at some schools that require an 8 on every section. I would think VCOM would be fine.

It was a 2.89 cgpa and 3.3 sgpa at the time i applied. It was also late october by the time they received it.

Late october and sub 3 science GPA is a killer. I guess that makes sense then. But that 27 mcat shouldn't have been a problem.

3.62 cgpa,3.52 sgpa. show me some love VCOM
you will have interviews out the wazoo. focus on your interviewing instead of worrying about the 7

cGPA 3.4, sGPA 3.1, MPH 3.9...great LORs....no MCAT yet, will take it in septemberish....I am a Virginia resident. Any chance?

Any idea how they determine the "last 120" hours? I have 190 hours overall but 83 were post-bac. I did a paramedic program at a CC (35) and then all the prereqs (48) at a 4 year school. The 120 hours will throw me right in the middle of a semester. Would they include the entire semester?

This last 120 is a huge help for me. I went from a cumulative 3.06/science 3.52 to a cumulative 3.48/science 3.62.

Just got primary confirmation email!
It said committee will review credentials within 2 to 3 weeks. Anyone know if it's a heavy screen or just computer screen?

Just got primary confirmation email!
It said committee will review credentials within 2 to 3 weeks. Anyone know if it's a heavy screen or just computer screen?

I just did too! It's about to get busy!

Confirmation of primary receipt yesterday, and secondary received just now!!

So dumb question, but on their secondary it says to list volunteer and work experience not included on AACOMAS. Is it bad if we leave this blank since I included everything on my primary?

So dumb question, but on their secondary it says to list volunteer and work experience not included on AACOMAS. Is it bad if we leave this blank since I included everything on my primary?
thats what i was thinking. I am just going to leave it blank too.

1. Describe the top three reasons you have chosen osteopathic medicine as your professional choice in becoming a physician (Please use your own description and not one that widely describes the profession).
2.Professionalism and the ability to gain respect in the community in which you live is of utmost importance as you embark upon a career as a physician. What three professional qualities do you feel a Student Doctor must be able to demonstrate as he/or she makes the transition into the study and practice of medicine. How will you demonstrate those qualities as a medical student at VCOM?
3.Please describe a volunteer or service activity that played a large part in your decision to become a physician.
4.In the event you submitted an application to VCOM last year, what In the event you submitted an application to VCOM last year, what improvements have you made to your application?
5.If you have not completed all the prerequisite coursework, please state how you intend on completing it prior to matriculation.

BTW nice pic @emagavin lol

1. Describe the top three reasons you have chosen osteopathic medicine as your professional choice in becoming a physician (Please use your own description and not one that widely describes the profession).
2.Professionalism and the ability to gain respect in the community in which you live is of utmost importance as you embark upon a career as a physician. What three professional qualities do you feel a Student Doctor must be able to demonstrate as he/or she makes the transition into the study and practice of medicine. How will you demonstrate those qualities as a medical student at VCOM?
3.Please describe a volunteer or service activity that played a large part in your decision to become a physician.
4.In the event you submitted an application to VCOM last year, what In the event you submitted an application to VCOM last year, what improvements have you made to your application?
5.If you have not completed all the prerequisite coursework, please state how you intend on completing it prior to matriculation.

BTW nice pic @emagavin lol

Very much appreciated! And lol thanks! Been fan since the first season. :D

Waitlisted last cycle (Top 10 now) and accepted for the 2019 VA campus class (assuming I don't still get called off in the next month). Just giving you guys a bit of perspective:

NC resident (and previous in rural setting) AACOMAS sent 8/23/13. Secondary complete 10/18/13. Interview 12/17. And waitlisted since then..

cGPA: 3.48/ sGPA 3.35/nsGPA3.66 and MCAT of 26. Multiple jobs including working as a medical scribe in ER, 3 years of gross anatomy TA and research experience.

Good luck to all!

People are saying that apps aren't getting sent to schools until like 27/28 of june, but some are already getting secondaries..... Can someone explain?

People are saying that apps aren't getting sent to schools until like 27/28 of june, but some are already getting secondaries..... Can someone explain?
Supposedly they were released early. My AACOMAS says they were released 6/19/14

I think we're confusing each other...

Where are you seeing on AACOMAS that secondaries were released 6/19?
AACOMAS released the apps 6/19/14 (a week before the estimated release as you said)
AACOMAS has nothing to do with secondaries, so after youre released you can expect a secondary from the school itself

AACOMAS released the apps 6/19/14 (a week before the estimated release as you said)
AACOMAS has nothing to do with secondaries, so after youre released you can expect a secondary from the school itself

Sorry, where are seeing that AACOMAS released the apps on 6/19?

it says it next to each individual school you applied to. Remember, they might not be released the second after verification is complete.

this school's average is around 25. and they explicitly told you your 27 is too low???? this is crazy!!!! but im pretty sure ur accepted in another DO school right?

this school's average is around 25. and they explicitly told you your 27 is too low???? this is crazy!!!! but im pretty sure ur accepted in another DO school right?
Yes, it appeared to be a standardized email that they send out but it was obviously due to my low gpas which were 2.9 c and 3.3 s at the time my app was submitted. I was waitlisted at touro ny and acom with no acceptance yet and have bumped those up to 3.05 c and 3.46 s.

Yes, it appeared to be a standardized email that they send out but it was obviously due to my low gpas which were 2.9 c and 3.3 s at the time my app was submitted. I was waitlisted at touro ny and acom with no acceptance yet and have bumped those up to 3.05 c and 3.46 s.

wait so that email mentions MCAT only or GPA and MCAT or it just says in general like low stats, we look for more in applicants?
Thanks!

The subject line read "VCOM Admission Status: Improve GPA and MCAT"

i think for your case that is the GPA, u think so too? because your MCAT is like 2 point above the claimed average for this school!