Duke, class of 2010!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
pcthurlow said:
So I asked for a sample weekly schedule, and they sent me the last year's M1 first week. It's pretty wicked. 19 lectures (no labs or discussions) over the 5 days, going from 9:10am-2:00pm, then 2-3 hours of something called "The patient". That last one makes me laugh a little. Most schools managed to give that a more creative name, but I guess Duke distills everything to only what you need, no wasting words ;)

Just in case you're concerned, they schedule in independent study time. It's every morning from 8-9 :confused: . This makes me feel better, I was a little worried I wouldn't have any time to pursue other interests.

Sorry, I had to put this up. But hey, maybe they change the schedule this year?

PLEASE tell me the 2-3 hours of "The Patient" is once a week!!! I have NEVER learned anything by sitting in lecture in my life, so if we really have class basically 9-5 every day, I will def. have to sit in the library and self-teach while you guys go to lecture.

Members don't see this ad.

UTpremed said:
PLEASE tell me the 2-3 hours of "The Patient" is once a week!!! I have NEVER learned anything by sitting in lecture in my life, so if we really have class basically 9-5 every day, I will def. have to sit in the library and self-teach while you guys go to lecture.

i'll join you. we can quiz each other. :)

Well I just finished college....I have not walked across the stage yet, but I just took my last exam! I also officially sent the "I am going to Duke" letter today!

Members don't see this ad :)
whats up guys, just wanted to let yall know ill be at duke next year too. i went to duke undergrad, so im really familiar with duke/durham so if you have any questions fire away. lookin forward to meeting everyone.

UnivrslRemonstr said:
whats up guys, just wanted to let yall know ill be at duke next year too. i went to duke undergrad, so im really familiar with duke/durham so if you have any questions fire away. lookin forward to meeting everyone.

awesome! where are the best places to eat? especially asian food. chinese? japanese? korean? thai? indian? :p

UTpremed said:
Well I just finished college....I have not walked across the stage yet, but I just took my last exam! I also officially sent the "I am going to Duke" letter today!

you're so lucky.... i still have 5 weeks to go :sleep: ... quarter system sucks. :(

i have been quite busy with work lately, somehow there's a lots of sample coming into the lab and I have no more free time to surf the web. *sniff*

kirexhana said:
awesome! where are the best places to eat? especially asian food. chinese? japanese? korean? thai? indian? :p

Grace's is a Chinese place on campus, not fantastic. There's an Asian bistro on Erwin called Chai's that is good, and a Mongolian wok place on 9th street called Bali Hai that IS fantastic. Both of those places are <5 min from campus.

As for Japanese, there's Kanki which is on 15-501 towards Chapel Hill, and Karama's, which is closer on business 15-501 but isn't as good. They're both 10-15 min away. There are tons more, but those are the ones I have the most experience with. Durham/Chapel Hill is a pretty good place for restaurants.

alright, time to put duke back at the top of the thread again, so everyone wakes up to a nice healthy dose of blue devil. ;)

kirexhana said:
alright, time to put duke back at the top of the thread again, so everyone wakes up to a nice healthy dose of blue devil. ;)

Kanki IS good. :thumbup: Haven't tried any of those other places but I was vaguely wondering about Indian food. Mum says there's a rather large Indian population in the area so I'm rather sure there must be SOMETHING good. Then again, if that fails we can always just make Krishn cook for us.

In other news, I just got my FA package from Baylor and it sux0rs almost as much as my Duke one (Loans totalling $50k/year at BCM vs. $60k/year at Duke) so that pretty much removes the last obstacle I had against becoming a Devil.

I'll be withdrawing from everyone else this week. :D

pagemmapants said:
I'll be withdrawing from everyone else this week. :D

I just did that this week too! See you in July!!

yea, i'll get around to withdrawing next week. how did you withdraw from wash u , walt? email? letter? call?

kirexhana said:
yea, i'll get around to withdrawing next week. how did you withdraw from wash u , walt? email? letter? call?

A sent a letter.

Happy cinco de mayo everyone!!!!! Drink a cerveza....not for me....but WITH me!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is that housing link that we received in the email useful? I can't access it on our home computer...

Thanks

Shaka said:
Is that housing link that we received in the email useful? I can't access it on our home computer...

Thanks

it's ok it's just a listing of available housing, right now it's just people who have houses and are looking for roommates.

BUUUUUUUUUUMP. Sorry for my recent silence. Had the boyfriend down for a week. :D

pagemmapants said:
BUUUUUUUUUUMP. Sorry for my recent silence. Had the boyfriend down for a week. :D

GEMMA!!!!!!! i miiiiiiissed yoooooou :p

So can one of you Duke experts answer a couple of questions about financial aid for me? Say my annual loans are about 38k a year. Is there some chance that I won't have to pay for the 3rd year or something? What's the deal with that? I didn't get a financial aid speech because I regional interviewed/didn't go to 2nd look. Or say I wanted an MPH, would that be included in the 3rd year cost?

Wahina said:
So can one of you Duke experts answer a couple of questions about financial aid for me? Say my annual loans are about 38k a year. Is there some chance that I won't have to pay for the 3rd year or something? What's the deal with that? I didn't get a financial aid speech because I regional interviewed/didn't go to 2nd look. Or say I wanted an MPH, would that be included in the 3rd year cost?

there is an opportunity for funding when you apply for research money for your 3rd year. sometimes you can cover your tuition, sometimes you can make a huge dent in your tuition, sometimes the money can just cover your research. the loans or efc has nothing to do with how much money you get 3rd year as it just depends on which grants you are able to get.

for the MPH during the third year instead, i believe you would still pay the med school tuition, plus a nominal administrtive fee, which i heard was like. 75 or 750 or something (a drop in the bucket).

heyyy, i'm borrowing 38k a year too... but i think we still need to pay for our 3rd year, but you can get paid for your work during 3rd year, so that can pay back then to lessen interest. for MPH, you will still need to pay med school tuition + a few extra $$$ for the program (application fees in such but not too much)...

forevalwayzz said:
and rex beats me to posting the same answer...
yea, i'm confused. my fed stafford loan sub is 8500 and my unsub is 36666. but i thought the limit i could borrow is 38k for stafford..... does anyone else have an unsub higher than 30k?

edit: and what can i say, except hot people think alike. ;)

kirexhana said:
yea, i'm confused. my fed stafford loan sub is 8500 and my unsub is 36666. but i thought the limit i could borrow is 38k for stafford..... does anyone else have an unsub higher than 30k?

edit: and what can i say, except hot people think alike. ;)

My unsub is 30819. So I have 39319 stafford, if my math is right. Wow that's a lot. So does duke not calculate efc at all, they just expect you to take it out of the loans if you feel like paying for something?

Gnomes. That's how they figure it out. They steal gnomes from Gringotts and chain them in the basement.

I'm boooooooooooooooooooored. I have a crazy huge midterm in 4 hours and I started studying last night.

Should I not be procrastinating?

Gringotts is run by goblins, not gnomes... but I agree with the hypothesis of how they determine your aid.

heheh now you all know who is the avid Harry Potter fan in your class! ;0D

Shaka said:
Gringotts is run by goblins, not gnomes... but I agree with the hypothesis of how they determine your aid.

heheh now you all know who is the avid Harry Potter fan in your class! ;0D

sorry babe, i'm afraid you're not that special. *raises hand* I.... am.... in love.... with Harry Potter. :eek:

sweet. now I know I'll have somebody to go to the next movie with, and talk about the next book with. hmmm maybe we should start a club - I'm sure it would look great for residencies!! ;0)

Shaka said:
sweet. now I know I'll have somebody to go to the next movie with, and talk about the next book with. hmmm maybe we should start a club - I'm sure it would look great for residencies!! ;0)

i don't want to see the next one.... i can't bear to think of the ending... :( (yes, i get emotional over it)

i'm curious tho, am i the alone in that i read fanfiction? :oops:

I think you are, Rex. I really think you are.

It's ok. I'm more of a LotR nerd myself. (Was anyone else disappointed about the lack of Tom and Goldberry in the movies?!)

And, might I add, I just bought myself a Captain Jack Sparrow action figure. He comes with a bottle of rum!

By the way - I have NEVER been that unprepared for a midterm in my LIFE before. It was kind of amusing.

awww.... oh well, i think i've grown out of it anyway. i've moved on to anime (although i'm not quite sure if that's a step forward or a step back :p )

anime would be a step forward, next thing you know, you'll be player one of those massive multiplayer online role playing games, but wait til we have the internet connection from Duke, then we can play in class...

I am SO going to be going on raids during histo lectures. WOO!

(I eat bodies for energy. . . sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. I'm also nerdy enough to have named an undead "Ostia" and a tauren "Io".)

what? my post at 3pm didn't get posted?! but i said:
...and we have our first confession of a manic WoW player, as for me, I will hunt down terrorists and get as many "headshots" and "killing rampagne" as i possibly could during histo...

forevalwayzz said:
what? my post at 3pm didn't get posted?! but i said:
...and we have our first confession of a manic WoW player, as for me, I will hunt down terrorists and get as many "headshots" and "killing rampagne" as i possibly could during histo...

i'll need to join you guys, i'm not good at paying attention in lecture, and yet, i'm always compelled to go!

this has been pushed back to the second page? UNACCEPTABLE! BUMP!!!!!!

Unnnnnnnnnnnnnnngh, so I just got a scholarship at another school and my parents are telling me I should go there instead. Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

I call FA office. See what they can do.

Okay so I deferred and it's time for me to take my rightful place in this thread. Greetings, my future classmates :D

pagemmapants said:
Unnnnnnnnnnnnnnngh, so I just got a scholarship at another school and my parents are telling me I should go there instead. Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

HA! now who's the one that's not bleeding blue? CONGRATS btw ;)

forevalwayzz said:
gosh i love to walk my dog on the beach, she's so full of energy and I dont know where she gets it from. Galveston isn't the best beach in the world (the most crappiest beach in the US even) but it's nice around sunset time. Tell us when you guys are moving in so I can plan my schedule and such too, have a cousin up there who would willing to let me crash for a few days while searching for apartment.
You've never been to an NYC beach have ya? ;)

Where are you guys from? I have 10 pages to catch up on LOL

pagemmapants said:
Meeee too. Besides, for "college-type fun" we can always head over to Franklin Street and masquerade as Tar Heels. Or actually, I'm planning on organizing boatloads of camping trips over the school year. Tents + Fire = good times to be had by all! Having spent the last 4 years in LA I'm ready for a change, that's for darn sure. See you at 2nd look?
Ok I can relate. Im coming from NYC and I am SOOOOO ready for the change.

NubianPrincess said:

I'm Rex, from LA! what's UP!!!!!

NubianPrincess said:

I'm Peter. I'm from Madison, Wisconsin.

So, who thinks that we might see more people in this thread as May 15 approaches? It should give us some more stuff to talk about. Bumping to move the thread to page one is no fun.

pagemmapants said:

Congrats on the scholarship!! I can commiserate about the parents telling you where to go. My parents would always talk about how if I went to Wisconsin, I could remodel their kitchen...and probably the rest of their house :laugh: oh wait, that's not funny :mad:

I'll be curious to hear whether the FA office will work with you.

huh.... this might just be me, but I was just reading aol's ratings on fine dining in Raleigh-durham. Apparently, P.F.Chang's is the best CHinese place there. am i alone in my worry?

kirexhana said:
huh.... this might just be me, but I was just reading aol's ratings on fine dining in Raleigh-durham. Apparently, P.F.Chang's is the best CHinese place there. am i alone in my worry?

Rex, I'm afraid that in NC you have to hunt a LOT harder for good Asian/Latin American/Indian/etc. food than in Cali. I am certain that we will be able to find a better Chinese restaurant than P.F. Chang's... In undergrad in NC (not RDU), we eventually found a superb Indian restaurant, as well as good Chinese and Mexican restaurants. It's hard to beat the food (and other) diversity in SoCal. We might just have to learn how to cook some of that good stuff for ourselves. :eek:

Shaka said:
Rex, I'm afraid that in NC you have to hunt a LOT harder for good Asian/Latin American/Indian/etc. food than in Cali. I am certain that we will be able to find a better Chinese restaurant than P.F. Chang's... In undergrad in NC (not RDU), we eventually found a superb Indian restaurant, as well as good Chinese and Mexican restaurants. It's hard to beat the food (and other) diversity in SoCal. We might just have to learn how to cook some of that good stuff for ourselves. :eek:
i think i'm screwed then... oh well, med school's a good time as any to go on a diet right? right?

when i went to duke for interview, my cuz took me out to the cheesecake factory that just openned not long ago and their foods were good actually, and across the street is P.F Chang so take your pick...

parents can be a bit "problematic" sometimes in this process, but you can't just ignore them altogether; unlike my parents, my actually do not want/push me to be a physician and let me be the main director of my life so, when being in my shoes, I feel lonely sometimes for not having people make decision for me.

I haven't been to any beaches outside of texas and florida so I wouldn't know how NC beaches are, and I would love to learn to surf, but I dont know to swim--I can float though ^_^

helllo princess (felt weird calling someone that the first time), my name is Kevin and I'm from Houston Texas, home of the humid hot weather and a football team that doesn't know what's best for them when they blindly and foolishly draft williams as their first pick rather than J. Bush or V. Young, so to protest, I will not attend any of their game except when they're playing against the Tennessee's Titans because I want to see J. Bush jumps over their sorry heads for not picking him. I'm not bitter, I'm just a huge fan of the Texans, until now!
I will drive to Duke around mid July and see what I have to work with in the next four years, so if you guys are comfortable with one another, I'm willing to trade cell phone #s just for us to meet up and have that first uncomfortable icebreaking moment and thinking to ourself, gosh, s/he doesn't look like what I had imagined, oh well...

forevalwayzz said:
when i went to duke for interview, my cuz took me out to the cheesecake factory that just openned not long ago and their foods were good actually, and across the street is P.F Chang so take your pick...

parents can be a bit "problematic" sometimes in this process, but you can't just ignore them altogether; unlike my parents, my actually do not want/push me to be a physician and let me be the main director of my life so, when being in my shoes, I feel lonely sometimes for not having people make decision for me.

I haven't been to any beaches outside of texas and florida so I wouldn't know how NC beaches are, and I would love to learn to surf, but I dont know to swim--I can float though ^_^

helllo princess (felt weird calling someone that the first time), my name is Kevin and I'm from Houston Texas, home of the humid hot weather and a football team that doesn't know what's best for them when they blindly and foolishly draft williams as their first pick rather than J. Bush or V. Young, so to protest, I will not attend any of their game except when they're playing against the Tennessee's Titans because I want to see J. Bush jumps over their sorry heads for not picking him. I'm not bitter, I'm just a huge fan of the Texans, until now!
I will drive to Duke around mid July and see what I have to work with in the next four years, so if you guys are comfortable with one another, I'm willing to trade cell phone #s just for us to meet up and have that first uncomfortable icebreaking moment and thinking to ourself, gosh, s/he doesn't look like what I had imagined, oh well...

same here, pm me if you want my contact info.