Des Moines University (DMU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essay prompts when available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Secondary From Last year, Hopefully it doesn't change too much.
1. Please describe your exposure to osteopathic medicine, including (but not limited to) experiences with physicians in primary care or rural practice within the US. How have these experiences impacted you and your pursuit of osteopathic medical education as it relates to the mission of Des Moines University? (500 word limit)

2. * Do you have research experience?
If yes, briefly describe the type of research experience and any measurable outcomes (presentations, publications, etc.)

3. Please describe what you feel to be your most defining service experience (including medical or non-medical service, volunteer, military, leadership, etc.). Be sure to describe how this experience impacted you and contributed to the development of your capacity to care for others. (500 word limit)

For #2 of the secondary, do you guys say almost the same thing as what you mentioned about research/publication on AACOMAS?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
For #2 of the secondary, do you guys say almost the same thing as what you mentioned about research/publication on AACOMAS?

So for my secondary, I went into greater detail about what I did. Prepared ligands with what technique; prepared type of data and how this helped my research group.

I have zero publications so this is the only way i could say "Hey I have been productive but its just not any measurable outcome yet".

So for my secondary, I went into greater detail about what I did. Prepared ligands with what technique; prepared type of data and how this helped my research group.

I have zero publications so this is the only way i could say "Hey I have been productive but its just not any measurable outcome yet".

By any chance do you know the character limit for this question in particular? Is it the same as the other two prompts with 500 word limit? It did say "briefly."

Wow, I haven't even taken my Mcat yet. I take mine EARLY August, I hope I'm not too late. I will have my Aamcas application done and it should be verified, so everything will be in, only thing I will wait on is my Mcat score.

Reactions: 1 user
By any chance do you know the character limit for this question in particular? Is it the same as the other two prompts with 500 word limit? It did say "briefly."

No clue bud sorry :(

~500 words probably is a good idea though.

Secondary received! I wonder what their "initial review" entails.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your username for your secondary is your email right? I'm trying to register for an account and keep getting "an account already exists with that email?"

EDIT: If anyone else is having this problem, the secondary portal is using an application system utilized by many (non-medical) schools across the country, so you may already have an account.

Last edited:
Your username for your secondary is your email right? I'm trying to register for an account and keep getting "an account already exists with that email?"

I had to put in my email and make a password to register.

There is this question on the secondary:

Please describe your exposure to osteopathic medicine, including (but not limited to) experiences with physicians in primary care or rural practice within the US. How have these experiences impacted you and your pursuit of osteopathic medical education as it relates to the mission of Des Moines University? (500 word limit)

How do you answer this question if you have no osteopathic experience? Any tips?

Please describe your exposure to osteopathic medicine, including (but not limited to) experiences with physicians in primary care or rural practice within the US. How have these experiences impacted you and your pursuit of osteopathic medical education as it relates to the mission of Des Moines University? (500 word limit)

How do you answer this question if you have no osteopathic experience? Any tips?

It looks like you could talk about physicians in primary or rural care too. If you have any background in that, I'd talk about that.

DMU requires DO exposure. If I was you, I'd either put off this secondary and go shadow a DO ASAP and get a recommendation or save my money and apply elsewhere.

It looks like you could talk about physicians in primary or rural care too. If you have any background in that, I'd talk about that.
This works.
DMU requires DO exposure. If I was you, I'd either put off this secondary and go shadow a DO ASAP and get a recommendation or save my money and apply elsewhere.
They don't require you to have DO exposure.

Last edited:
Got my secondary today! Really want to go to this school!

Unfortunately, I don't have primary care shadowing experience or rural care experience. I'm thinking about just not applying at all to Des Moines, unless someone in my situation has had success.

Thanks.

Unfortunately, I don't have primary care shadowing experience or rural care experience. I'm thinking about just not applying at all to Des Moines, unless someone in my situation has had success.

Thanks.
It is probably best not to apply. Before you apply to any other DO school, check which schools requires DO experience or has a mission in primary or rural care.

Reactions: 1 users
Specific question: are you guys writing these essays in past or present tense?

Anyone have any idea when we might see II's here? We seem to be slightly delayed from last year's timeline.

Anyone know if this school is pass/fail?

It is probably best not to apply. Before you apply to any other DO school, check which schools requires DO experience or has a mission in primary or rural care.

100% false.

I was accepted without ever shadowing a DO or having any specific experience with a DO. Only experience I had was meeting our team ortho at my undergrad who was a DO. Never shadowed him or anything.

Thanks.

Only shadowing experience I had was in ortho/neurology/cardiology/emergency med when I applied. Nothing really rural either. Currently going into my third year at DMU.

An internal medicine DO counts as a primary care physician, correct?

Only shadowing experience I had was in ortho/neurology/cardiology/emergency med when I applied. Nothing really rural either. Currently going into my third year at DMU.

Out of curiosity, what'd you end up saying in the essay and did anyone ever bring it up in an interview?

100% false.

I was accepted without ever shadowing a DO or having any specific experience with a DO. Only experience I had was meeting our team ortho at my undergrad who was a DO. Never shadowed him or anything.

When you applied 3 years ago the requirements were different. Every year the stats increase and requirements change. I applied to DO schools last year with no DO experience and didn't get in anywhere even though I have a >3.6 and >30 MCAT.

When you applied 3 years ago the requirements were different. Every year the stats increase and requirements change. I applied to DO schools last year with no DO experience and didn't get in anywhere even though I have a >3.6 and >30 MCAT.

I can already tell why you didn't get in to any DO schools

Out of curiosity, what'd you end up saying in the essay and did anyone ever bring it up in an interview?

It was never brought up in my interview at DMU. I'll see if I can find my secondary essays and get back to you what I wrote. I have them on a hard drive somewhere

This school's website made me love this school so much. Wishing for an II here!

Got a "secondary received" email this morning!

Reactions: 2 users
Incoming 1st year student here! I went into my application season last year thinking that another well-regarded DO school was my top choice (just happened to apply to DMU based on reputation) and was completely won over by DMU on interview day.

Every interaction I've had with anyone with the school has been nothing but positive. The school and students really seem to embrace a sense of community and everyone tries to help each other out. I wanted a solid medical school education without the cutthroat nonsense that many schools inherently foster. Despite my slightly underdog background (PM for details if interested), I was offered interviews at all of the DO schools that I applied to and was accepted to every school I attended interviews for.

Good luck to everyone applying and don't be afraid to apply just because you think you aren't the ideal applicant!

Secondary submitted today. Received 7/7, submitted 7/11. Anyone know when they send II's?

Also got complete email this morning. Can any current students speak to the social life? Are there good bars and other places to go out to after exams and go nuts? I've never been to Iowa so just wondering...