Des Moines University (DMU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yep that helps a lot...thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi fellow DMU-ers, I have some questions about admissions! I have submitted my app through AACOMAS but I was thinking about adding DMU as a school. This thread scares me about the competitiveness of the school, but I think I'm willing to throw my hat into the ring. How competitive are my stats at this school, and does having a DO LOR help significantly towards the competitiveness of your app?

- cGPA: 3.1
- sGPA. 2.96
- SMP GPA: 4.0
- MCAT: 506

Thank you!

Hi fellow DMU-ers, I have some questions about admissions! I have submitted my app through AACOMAS but I was thinking about adding DMU as a school. This thread scares me about the competitiveness of the school, but I think I'm willing to throw my hat into the ring. How competitive are my stats at this school, and does having a DO LOR help significantly towards the competitiveness of your app?

- sGPA. 2.96

Thank you!

As for your GPA, the SMP 4.0 definitively shows an upward trend and that you have worked hard to make yourself competitive and are ready for med school.

Mcat - I can't say too much about the news scores as I took the old one and am not familiar with what score fared well at which schools.

DO LOR - from what I understand, most (if not all) DO schools require this. However if you have one from DMU alumni, I would imagine that would immensely help.

Looking at your stats, I think you should apply. DMU (in my opinion) really values long-term learning and improvement. I had a weak undergrad GPA rollercoaster and even first year of masters, but I killed it second year and I was first quartile on DMU waitlist. FYI: I also interviewed late because my improvement began last semester. You already have all that complete, so you shouldn't have a problem with that.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

- sGPA. 2.96

Thank you!

Assuming you have decent ECs, decent secondary answers, and a fairly balanced MCAT (no one section that is really low), I would definitely anticipate an interview invite! As for a DO LOR, I wouldn't bother tbh. I submitted with only an MD LOR and had no issues. Good luck with applying!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys! Quick q: Does DMU email separate secondaries? Because on the portal it already asks two questions: (1) Please describe your exposure to osteopathic medicine, including (but not limited to)..." and (2)
What activities are you currently or planning to pursue leading up to potential matriculation?

Hey, so quick question, I just got invited to interview yesterday and I am curious as to whether this interview will be for a wait list position since it is pretty late in the cycle? Did anyone else get this invite?
I'm excited to have the opportunity to interview, I just hope its not for a wait list position...

Hey, so quick question, I just got invited to interview yesterday and I am curious as to whether this interview will be for a wait list position since it is pretty late in the cycle? Did anyone else get this invite?
I'm excited to have the opportunity to interview, I just hope its not for a wait list position...
I just got accepted off the 3rd quartile of w/l so might be for an accept spot. I'd go, this school is AMAZING & will be choosing DMU!

:eek::eek::eek: wow good on you i had assumed all school stopped interviewing by mid may, let alone sending an interview this late! Congrats on the interview! Idk if they would interview just for the waitlist, but I say its pointless to worry about whether its for a waitlist spot or not. If they really like you and you put your best foot forward I say you got a good shot. best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I would go ahead and go. It would be pointless and kind of crappy for a school to be interviewing for waitlist spots so close to matriculation. And DMU doesn't strike me as that kind of school, really. Maybe something happened and they ended up with a couple of spots after they sent out waitlist acceptances or something! I.e, maybe a bunch of students they accepted off the WL already had deposits down/housing arrangements at other schools. It would be worth going if you can see yourself attending!

DMU is great. Go & don't look back :)

Thank you all for your responses! I think I might as well go and see the school, it seems like an amazing school! Thank you all again!

I got an interview invite today, I turned them down but still a surprise to see this late.

How are they still sending out interviews at the end of June?? I've never heard of a med school interviewing this late.

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of having a waitlist? lol

How are they still sending out interviews at the end of June?? I've never heard of a med school interviewing this late.

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of having a waitlist? lol

Best guess is that they have already gone through all of their wait list or are anticipating going through it all. I wonder if this is the first year of this happening for them. I've never heard of this happening either, pretty crazy.

Esp at a top DO program with a lot of history... definitely surprised by this as well

I'm under the impression that it's purely for additional waitlist spots to have in case of craziness at the end of the cycle so they hit than 221 numbers. I have a friend who got the call from a respected DO school 3 days before classes started last year because someone had to drop out last second

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Ok weaklings. I have been ghosting this page for a while but i finally made an account. I am a student here. I know that our year and from classes above/below us we had people not show up on the first day of school. Yes, as in people paid their 1000 dollar deposit and probably got accepted elsewhere but were too salty to call DMU and tell them that they forfeit their spot. It happened multiple times. I think our year we had 2 people flake. I remember it distinctly. so although chances of WL moving becomes lower and lower, it is not impossible until the very last day

I was pulled off the alternate list last year. They will send out an email asking you to confirm your interest in the alternate list sometime in April. (Essentially an online form we filled out to still be considered for a seat. You had to respond to be considered for a seat.) They allowed us to submit updates for our file until April 25th. In early May we were all sent our quartile rank for the list. I've heard that most years you have a pretty good chance if you're in the first quartile. Last year they said in the alternate list email that they anticipated making 'considerable offers of admission' to candidates on the list. I was accepted a few weeks later. So it is possible to get off the list :)
Is it possible to share your stat.

As I am trying to decide where to send in my deposit, I had some questions for current DMU students. Feel free to write on this thread or PM me.
1) Why did you chose DMU?
*Specifically, if you were also accepted to CCOM, why did you chose DMU over CCOM
2) Is there anything you wish you would have known when making your decision?
3) Pros? Cons?
4) How is the teaching? How much time do you spend in class? Are the lectures recorded? How often do you have exams? How is the grading?
5) Where do you live? About how much do you pay for rent/bills per month?
6) How do you feel about the facilities? Are they top-notch, mediocre, or substandard?
7) How are the clinical rotations / residency match sites?
8) Is there anything else unique about DMU or worth noting?

Hey guys! Quick q: Does DMU email separate secondaries? Because on the portal it already asks two questions: (1) Please describe your exposure to osteopathic medicine, including (but not limited to)..." and (2)
What activities are you currently or planning to pursue leading up to potential matriculation?

^ if anyone can answer this, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm applying this 2019 cycle, wish me luck!