Dating in Med School for a Girl? Disturbing Trend?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
SDN should really have an .edu email requirement that has to link to an actual medical school, because it seems like some people join SDN thinking they've gone to college because they watched American Pie.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Do you actually read the words you are writing?

Do you? You take an analogy that refers to the fact that some males don't want to put in more effort and commitment into a female long term than others before him into me saying women are literally cows so you can support your argument that I'm some type of sexist tyrant.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you? You take an analogy that refers to the fact that some males don't want to put in more effort and commitment into a female long term than others before him into me saying women are literally cows so you can support your argument that I'm some type of sexist tyrant.
So you don't understand how analogies work. Sometimes, comparisons can be offensive - like if I were to compare the president to a monkey that would be racist as hell. Comparing a woman to a cow, or a dog is sexist. And the entire point of the analogy is sexist, I already explained this - I don't understand what you aren't comprehending. This isn't a difficult concept.

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't even know what your own idiom means. The usage of that phrase has nothing to do with other men, and has everything to do with discourging women from having sex in a relationship before marriage because then the guy won't have any incentive to marry her.

Which is bull**** anyway, but it's funny to me that you don't even know what you're saying.

Reactions: 5 users
So you don't understand how analogies work. Sometimes, comparisons can be offensive - like if I were to compare the president to a monkey that would be racist as hell. Comparing a woman to a cow, or a dog is sexist. And the entire point of the analogy is sexist, I already explained this - I don't understand what you aren't comprehending. This isn't a difficult concept.

The problem that exists in your thinking is that you're equating a saying/analogy to be equal to a literal transference of roles (transferring women with cows and milk with sex). These analogies aren't the same as if I were to use a simile (saying someone is like a monkey) to compare two things.

Squamous were the born in the US? Is English your first language? Because there seems to be a huge disconnect here, almost like you have got all your ideas about American culture from crappy 2000s movies and don't seem to understand common idioms....

Reactions: 4 users
You don't even know what your own idiom means. The usage of that phrase has nothing to do with other men, and has everything to do with discourging women from having sex in a relationship before marriage because then the guy won't have any incentive to marry her.

Which is bull**** anyway, but it's funny to me that you don't even know what you're saying.

Not really, most men would be happy to take the milk, they just might not buy the cow. I still am not getting how this is offensive to say

his well of knowledge derived from rappers, trash comedy and pissedthatgirlsdon'twantme.com has been officially exhausted, he will now delve into personal attacks and circular arguments to the deny the reality of his failures in logic. You've been warned.

Night y'all!

Reactions: 1 users
The problem that exists in your thinking is that you're equating a saying/analogy to be equal to a literal transference of roles (transferring women with cows and milk with sex). These analogies aren't the same as if I were to use a simile (saying someone is like a monkey) to compare two things.
It doesn't work like that. I don't understand where you are getting these ideas from, but the English language simply does not work like that. I have a BA in English, you are wrong.

Not really, most men would be happy to take the milk, they just might not buy the cow.
You misunderstand. Women grow up hearing that phrase from their parents, authority figures, friends, etc not from their boyfriends. Like "Don't have sex before you marry the guy, because he won't want to buy the cow if the milk is free." It's a phrase that suggests women should dangle sex like some prize to be won so that she can trick someone into marrying her, and that men are only interested in sex and that is the only reason that they would ever marry someone.

You misunderstand. Women grow up hearing that phrase from their parents, authority figures, friends, etc not from their boyfriends. Like "Don't have sex before you marry the guy, because he won't want to buy the cow if the milk is free." It's a phrase that suggests women should dangle sex like some prize to be won so that she can trick someone into marrying her, and that men are only interested in sex and that is the only reason that they would ever marry someone.
yup yup yup yup yup yup

It doesn't work like that. I don't understand where you are getting these ideas from, but the English language simply does not work like that. I have a BA in English, you are wrong.

You think I literally called women cows with that analogy when I clearly used the analogy to make a point, but it's much easier to go the route you're going instead of addressing the actual argument.

What exactly are we arguing about anyway? That you're really sensitive or the fact that society has messed ideas (both of which are true)? Yes women are shamed for having lots of sex. We can argue back and forth for 10 more pages why this is and why it even came about to be (a combination of holdovers from religious societies in the past and other issues), we can argue about how men are sexist pigs or that English is my third language behind Mandarin and Spanish, we can argue about how the "trashy movies" have an influence on our collective culture or that they're merely a reflection of ideals already held by popular culture, but honestly I feel like that wouldn't matter because you have your ideas about what a majority of men think and I have mine. Let's just agree to disagree.

Members don't see this ad :)
You think I literally called women cows with that analogy when I clearly used the analogy to make a point, but it's much easier to go the route you're going instead of addressing the actual argument.

What exactly are we arguing about anyway? Your over-sensitivity or the fact that society has messed ideas (both of which are true)? Yes women are shamed for having lots of sex. We can argue back and forth for 10 more pages why this is and why it even came about to be (a combination of holdovers from religious societies in the past and other issues), we can argue about how men are sexist pigs or that English is my third language behind Mandarin and Spanish, we can argue about how the "trashy movies" have an influence on our collective culture or that they're merely a reflection of ideals already held by popular culture, but honestly I feel like that wouldn't matter because you have your ideas about what a majority of men think and I have mine. Let's just agree to disagree.
Called it.
Ok everything makes sense now

Of course the boyfriend won't say that, he's trying to get some. Like I said earlier men want to "have fun" with girls that sleep around but commit to a girl that doesn't. Yes that's unfair, irrational, and hypocritical but reality. Also I could easily take that phrase to mean that a woman should simply hold herself in high regard and prize her love as something she should only give to her husband, but that doesn't fit your narrative.

If you're against promiscuity and all of it's negative effects on society (unwanted pregnancies, stds, broken homes, etc) wouldn't it make sense to hold the group that controls the sexual marketplace (women) responsible, IF you're against promiscuity.

wow this thread has devolved. in b4 the lock

Of course the boyfriend won't say that, he's trying to get some. Like I said earlier men want to "have fun" with girls that sleep around but commit to a girl that doesn't. Yes that's unfair, irrational, and hypocritical but reality. Also I could easily take that phrase to mean that a woman should simply hold herself in high regard and prize her love as something she should only give to her husband, but that doesn't fit your narrative.
I have an issue with anyone generalizing what "men" want or what "women" want so I won't even address that. Your perception of the issue is likely based on just as much anecdote as mine is. Though you could do with a good bit of introspection to figure out why you hold that opinion about what most men want.
It would take some interesting bending of connotation to turn that phrase into something that wasn't degrading to men and women, but good luck with that. You can try to conceptualize the idiom however you like, that doesn't change the actual meaning. I take no issue with a woman choosing to wait until marriage to have sex. I take issue with the idea that she should wait because if she doesn't, she's never going to get married. And I take issue with the idea that all men want out of a relationship is sex, and that once they have that they'll stick around for it but won't make any further committments. I'm sorry that your version of reality portrays men in such a poor light and that the idea that some men may not be irrational and hypocritical, or that perhaps they should try not to be, doesn't fit your narrative.

I have an issue with anyone generalizing what "men" want or what "women" want so I won't even address that. Your perception of the issue is likely based on just as much anecdote as mine is. Though you could do with a good bit of introspection to figure out why you hold that opinion about what most men want.
It would take some interesting bending of connotation to turn that phrase into something that wasn't degrading to men and women, but good luck with that. You can try to conceptualize the idiom however you like, that doesn't change the actual meaning. I take no issue with a woman choosing to wait until marriage to have sex. I take issue with the idea that she should wait because if she doesn't, she's never going to get married. And I take issue with the idea that all men want out of a relationship is sex, and that once they have that they'll stick around for it but won't make any further committments. I'm sorry that your version of reality portrays men in such a poor light and that the idea that some men may not be irrational and hypocritical, or that perhaps they should try not to be, doesn't fit your narrative.

So we're gonna pretend that men aren't looking for sex and just say things because they sound "PC"? Ok then

So many reading comprehension fails here I can't even

I expect to marry a virgin but I also expect to be a virgin until I get married. Of course that's idealistic but I wouldn't want to have sex with someone that I might only be with for a month or so.

Finding virgin women is so hard now a days especially when they are in their 20s.

Last edited:
So we're gonna pretend that men aren't looking for sex and just say things because they sound "PC"? Ok then
Where did I say that? At all?
Men and women are looking for sex (except for those who aren't). But in most cases, especially when in long term relationships, that isn't the only thing they're looking for.
I have had this same exact conversation way too many times on this website.

I expect to marry a virgin but I also expect to be a virgin until I get married. Of course that's idealist but I wouldn't want to have sex with someone that I might only be with for a month or so.

Finding virgin women is so hard now a days especially when they are in their 20s.

Well, I'm sorry but you should know that virgins don't exist. If a woman tells you she's a virgin its actually virgin x 3, Lord Squamous has informed us that you must multiply by three the value that a womanite gives you for her past mating partners. We must trust him on this because "studies have shown"....we're not sure what studies, we're not sure who has conducted these studies and what the controls are, but these studies have shown and thus we must believe. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 3 users
That wasn't very nice.
Although I have to say I've had a lot of people call me a lot of things, but boring is a new one.

Your ideals, arguments, reactions, and posting style seem like they came straight out of a feminist 101 training manual. It's hard to describe, but it seems like I've seen your same exact persona post in your style 1000 times before all over the internet.

Your ideals, arguments, reactions, and posting style seem like they came straight out of a feminist 101 training manual. It's hard to describe, but it seems like I've seen your same exact persona post in your style 1000 times before all over the internet.
haha alrighty then, I'm still pretty sure you are a reincarnate of a past member so I can say the same thing about you! :)

7e7.png

Reactions: 10 users

To be fair, "why buy the cow when the milk is free?" is a common expression and I don't think he intended to equate women to cows, but just use the analogy to say that some guys wont marry because they can already get everything they are looking for without doing so. I can see how you could interpret this analogy as offensive, but I really dont think the point of it was to equate women to cows. It was perhaps a poor choice of words that lacked obvious foresight of misinterpretation... but I think the point was just to use a common analogy to explain why a situation is the way it is, and it merely coincidentally happens to include the word cow.

To be fair, "why buy the cow when the milk is free?" is a common expression and I don't think he intended to equate women to cows, but just use the analogy to say that some guys wont marry because they can already get everything they are looking for without doing so. I can see how you could interpret this analogy as offensive, but I really dont think the point of it was to equate women to cows, but rather to use a common analogy that just so happens to include the word "cow" to explain why a situation is the way it is.
Oh it's not just the cow thing that's offensive - WZ did a better job at explaining why than I did. I was just trying to figure out how to explain it to him why that's an offensive idiom and figured he might be able to get the most simplistic explanation.

Famousangeloid

Nah, arkengeloid may have been shockingly out of touch with reality, but he wasn't belligerent about his ideals. When people would call him out for some of the ridiculous stuff he said, he'd just respond with things like "but my dad always told me that... [insert insanely sexist comment here]". It was comical really.

Oh it's not just the cow thing that's offensive - WZ did a better job at explaining why than I did. I was just trying to figure out how to explain it to him why that's an offensive idiom and figured he might be able to get the most simplistic explanation.

I don't see how this is offensive. I swear... some people look for reasons to be offended just so they can act like some kind of victim or something.

I'm dumber for having read the past few pages of this thread. Damn you all.

I dont think Ive ever been so insulted in my life. So because Im a guy I cant have any deep emotional connection? Im only after sex? Better tell my sig I cant marry her, turns out I have no reason to now.

I expect to marry a virgin but I also expect to be a virgin until I get married. Of course that's idealistic but I wouldn't want to have sex with someone that I might only be with for a month or so.

There are some virgins out there in their 20s. At least for men. Virgin magnet here. Not sure what attracts them to me. I build relationships before sex though. Maybe that's it?

FYI for the guys saying virgin men are unwanted, the vast majority of guys I've slept with have been virgins and I'm convinced virgin men >>>>> non-virgin men. Just saying. That's a secret for obvious reasons. :whistle:

Well, I'm sorry but you should know that virgins don't exist. If a woman tells you she's a virgin its actually virgin x 3, Lord Squamous has informed us that you must multiply by three the value that a womanite gives you for her past mating partners. We must trust him on this because "studies have shown"....we're not sure what studies, we're not sure who has conducted these studies and what the controls are, but these studies have shown and thus we must believe. :rolleyes:

Actually... 0 x 3 = 0 :D

There are some virgins out there in their 20s. At least for men. Virgin magnet here. Not sure what attracts them to me. I build relationships before sex though. Maybe that's it?

FYI for the guys saying virgin men are unwanted, the vast majority of guys I've slept with have been virgins and I'm convinced virgin men >>>>> non-virgin men. Just saying. That's a secret for obvious reasons. :whistle:

Actually... 0 x 3 = 0 :D
Sounds more like virgin hunter.
3d4.jpg

No the guys I'm attracted to just tended to be virgins so far. It'll probably change when I get into my mid 20s.

I build relationships before sex occurs so it weeds out most guys because they want sex earlier than maybe in a few to several months. That's probably why basically only virgins stick it out.

I'm surprised with how "valued" women waiting for sex supposedly is because it's not my experience. It is what it is though. More casual sex can be great for others but it's not for me.

Last edited:
No the guys I'm attracted to just tended to be virgins so far. It'll probably change when I get into my mid 20s.

I build relationships before sex occurs so it weeds out most guys because they want sex earlier than maybe in a few to several months. That's probably why basically only virgins stick it out.

I'm surprised with how "valued" women waiting for sex supposedly is because it's not my experience. It is what it is though. More casual sex can be great for others but it's not for me.
Well in that case...
original.gif

I dont think Ive ever been so insulted in my life. So because Im a guy I cant have any deep emotional connection? Im only after sex? Better tell my sig I cant marry her, turns out I have no reason to now.

If you've "never been so insulted in your entire life", you have been living an extremely sheltered life. Don't be so melodramatic. I too disagree that guys are only after sex, because I know that I am personally after a lot more than that. But I'll be damned if I am going to get offended because some random stranger over the internet types out a sentence that doesn't resonate with me. He's entitled to his opinion, and I honestly couldn't care less if that opinion is different than what my experience is. We are cultivating a society of hypersensitivity where we are encouraged to become offended by even the most trivial of slights, and quite frankly it's ridiculous. Time to get over the fact that people are going to say things that you don't like and not get all bent out of shape about it. It amazes me how some people can even function in the world when seeing a stranger on the internet state that "men are only after sex!" is considered an affront of the highest magnitude.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
I don't see how this is offensive. I swear... some people look for reasons to be offended just so they can act like some kind of victim or something.

You just accurately described most of the Tumblr community.

Some of which apparently bleeds over here into SDN.

Good for you. Nobody was acting like a victim in that discussion. Merely explaining the connotation of the phrase (which was necessary because the poster who was using it didn't actually know what the phrase meant) and pointing out that it is outdated and casts the nature of sex and relationships in a negative light.

Thank you for showing me I'm not too paranoid for carrying pepper spray on my keychain.

I have been pepper sprayed before and it had no effect on me besides inducing light coughing and some burning of the eyes.

A stun gun (almost surely illegal if you live in the mid-Atlantic/northeast), screaming or yelling, or some competence in fighting (Krav Maga) will be far more useful in a scenario where you have a clear and pressing threat to your safety. Any reasonably athletic male would have thrown you headfirst on concrete by the time you are in a position to deploy your pepper spray.

Also, what about my post makes you want to carry pepper spray? I didn't say anything about forcing myself on the opposite sex.

Last edited:
I have been pepper sprayed before and it had no effect on me besides inducing light coughing and some burning of the eyes.

A stun gun (almost surely illegal if you live in the mid-Atlantic/northeast), screaming or yelling, or some competence in fighting (Krav Maga) will be far more useful in a scenario where you have a clear and pressing threat to your safety. Any reasonably athletic male would have thrown you headfirst on concrete by the time you are in a position to deploy your pepper spray.

Also, what about my post makes you want to carry pepper spray? I didn't say anything about forcing myself on the opposite sex.
Your misogynistic scenarios are alarm bells for you needing gender sensitivity training. Badly. Most men have not experienced being pepper sprayed by women for good reason.

Reactions: 7 users
Status
Not open for further replies.