Dating in Med School for a Girl? Disturbing Trend?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What's sad is that you didn't even read the study yourself, since they address many of the "arguments" Mad Jack "disputes" and the power of the sample is strong enough to at least conclude that their linked somehow. Many of the categories in the UVA study control for "outside" factors that may influence the results.

The fact is that you can't find one reputable study that shows that there is absolutely NO correlation between number of sexual partners and marital satisfaction. Also since there are many studies saying the same thing it would be intellectually dishonest to conclude that they're absolutely unrelated is quite foolish. Again, back up your arguments with studies and data instead of "m-muh feelings". Even if you disagree with someone you should at least be able to back up your points.

http://www.researchgate.net/publica...d_Women_A_Study_of_Married_Lithuanian_Couples

http://journals.lww.com/aidsonline/...tween_premarital_sexual_behaviour_and.13.aspx

Part of the lack of evidence probably has to do with publication bias. Studies that fail to show correlation don't get published because they're not "interesting." The other part is that people like me are too lazy to look up information that isn't going to change your mind no matter how true it is.

Do you have any studies that are based on American populations? Or at the very least, Western Europe? The culture and societies of the places these studies were done hardly seem generalizable to the discussion at hand.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
What's sad is that you didn't even read the study yourself, since they address many of the "arguments" Mad Jack "disputes" and the power of the sample is strong enough to at least conclude that their linked somehow. Many of the categories in the UVA study control for "outside" factors that may influence the results.

The fact is that you can't find one reputable study that shows that there is absolutely NO correlation between number of sexual partners and marital satisfaction. Also since there are many studies saying the same thing it would be intellectually dishonest to conclude that they're absolutely unrelated is quite foolish. Again, back up your arguments with studies and data instead of "m-muh feelings". Even if you disagree with someone you should at least be able to back up your points.

http://www.researchgate.net/publica...d_Women_A_Study_of_Married_Lithuanian_Couples

http://journals.lww.com/aidsonline/...tween_premarital_sexual_behaviour_and.13.aspx
I have to look at the full text of your first link but the second is pertaining to men so uh...why aren't you going around advising women not to marry guys who have had previous sexual partners?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Maybe you should before you disagree with it.
I read the part that I specifically disagreed with. Since we aren't discussing children or a particular couple co-habitating before getting married, the rest of it is not exactly relevant to this discussion.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Part of the lack of evidence probably has to do with publication bias. Studies that fail to show correlation don't get published because they're not "interesting." The other part is that people like me are too lazy to look up information that isn't going to change your mind no matter how true it is.

Do you have any studies that are based on American populations? Or at the very least, Western Europe? The culture and societies of the places these studies were done hardly seem generalizable to the discussion at hand.

The fact is that the literature is more supportive of my stance than it is yours. Whether or not you want to do a true critical analysis of the literature is up to you, and the fact that a study that was done in a completely different culture came to the same conclusion adds strength to the argument, not the other way around. Even studies that take into account many things that could affect long-term relationship satisfaction still list number of partners prior to marriage as a factor.

http://www.jstor.org/stable/585327?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents

Plus your idea about publication bias is funny, I'm sure if there was a good study that actually showed that sleeping around prior to marriage was either beneficial or had absolutely no effect on marital satisfaction that it would be cited ad nauseam all over the internet to justify sleeping around. I've posted enough evidence to support my stance even if you disagree. Until you can actually back up your claims instead of using how you feel to justify your argument then we have nothing more to discuss.

Plus your idea about publication bias is funny, I'm sure if there was a good study that actually showed that sleeping around prior to marriage was either beneficial or had absolutely no effect on marital satisfaction that it would be cited ad nauseam all over the internet to justify sleeping around.
The whole point of his statement was that a study that showed no correlation would be less likely to be published in the first place, so how exactly would people have access to it in order to cite it? You don't necessarily need a contrary study to point out the flaws in the evidence that you have presented.
And, even if the conclusions that were drawn by the studies you posted were true, you are still using it to support a double standard that none of the research advocates for.

The whole point of his statement was that a study that showed no correlation would be less likely to be published in the first place, so how exactly would people have access to it in order to cite it? You don't necessarily need a contrary study to point out the flaws in the evidence that you have presented.
And, even if the conclusions that were drawn by the studies you posted were true, you are still using it to support a double standard that none of the research advocates for.

Actually studies that show no correlation where people would "assume" there to be a correlation get published all the time as they disprove preconceived notions. You really think that if someone did a study that disproved all of those "evil" conservatives that they wouldn't publish that **** ASAP? Furthermore it's not as if anyone actually posted a good critique of the studies besides posting possible explanations to the findings that were already controlled for in the studies themselves (despite what you think the people that did these studies probably predicted you guy's arguments).

Actually studies that show no correlation where people would "assume" there to be a correlation get published all the time as they disprove preconceived notions. You really think that if someone did a study that disproved all of those "evil" conservatives that they wouldn't publish that **** ASAP? Furthermore it's not as if anyone actually posted a good critique of the studies besides posting possible explanations to the findings that were already controlled for in the studies themselves (despite what you think the people that did these studies probably predicted you guy's arguments).
I don't pretend to know how these things get published, that was Rogert's argument and I was just explaining what he was actually saying. But it seems to me that most of the studies have the end goal of providing advice for people who are married or want to get married. From that lens, "Don't have sex with anyone other than your eventual spouse and don't live with them before you're married" is a lot more interesting than "Um. Yeah...can't really generalize that kind of thing to all marriages. Sorry guys, guess you'll have to realize that relationships are complex and there aren't any rules that work for everyone."
I named at least three factors that they did not address. Whether or not they thought of the arguments, they did not control for them. And my final point in that post still stands.

Reactions: 2 users
See my concern is more the bleeding and pooping all over myself plus the whole episiotomy thing
Well, truth be told, it's more frustrating if you try to hold it in. I couldn't give a **** if you pooped as long as the baby comes out.
But the episiotomy is not gross, persay, but I just can't imagine how painful that must feel. How can you ever go to the bathroom without thinking "OMG I'm gonna tear it!"
It's an exaggeration. But it looks painful.
Although I wonder if any ob/gyn has ever been like it "screw it, let's staple this and be done"

Edit- didn't mean to sound arrogant with that just poop and be done with it.

Why are you getting angry at him?

WAIT OMG HE PUT A BUN IN YOUR OVEN!??!?!
Because I only want to go to hospitals that have bars. And I can't find one.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know this reference. I know it. It's from some stupid show you made me watch ><
I should ban you. It's only the best television show on the planet with people on that show voicing characters from ANOTHER amazing show.

I should ban you. It's only the best television show on the planet with people on that show voicing characters from ANOTHER amazing show.

WS likes me more than she likes you. So your chances of getting banned are way higher than mine.

Plus I've been here longer. Get off my lawn!

WS likes me more than she likes you. So your chances of getting banned are way higher than mine.

Plus I've been here longer. Get off my lawn!
Uh,
I'm surprised I haven't been banned already. The fact that I haven't shows that you have to do incredibly stupid things on here to get banned. I mean, come on. If someone gets banned and sees I'm still not banned... That must mean you really really really did something to deserve it.

Well, truth be told, it's more frustrating if you try to hold it in. I couldn't give a **** if you pooped as long as the baby comes out.
But the episiotomy is not gross, persay, but I just can't imagine how painful that must feel. How can you ever go to the bathroom without thinking "OMG I'm gonna tear it!"
It's an exaggeration. But it looks painful.
Although I wonder if any ob/gyn has ever been like it "screw it, let's staple this and be done"

Edit- didn't mean to sound arrogant with that just poop and be done with it.
No I didn't think you came across as arrogant.
Just the thought of - let's take 2 holes and make 1 hole makes me want to vomit. **** that's gotta hurt. And you are right I would (will? eventually) probably think that especially right after having a baby.

Just the thought of - let's take 2 holes and make 1 hole makes me want to vomit. **** that's gotta hurt. And you are right I would (will? eventually) probably think that especially right after having a baby.

Tee pee the right answer was "you're always arrogant. Ugh!"

:D

I don't want a gorgeous male obgyn delivering my baby princesses. I need someone who I'm not going to feel bad about yelling at

Why feel bad for yelling at the hot guy? That sounds like a good plan to me

Is this your husband? Can someone inform me of what is going on I don't want to have to read anything

Ok I can't access this article, and I tried to read most of what people said. But maybe the fact that that number of partners is affecting long-term satisfaction is because those people are overly honest. Maybe the factor affecting satisfaction is when one partner is just like telling way too much truth haha

The fact is that the literature is more supportive of my stance than it is yours. Whether or not you want to do a true critical analysis of the literature is up to you, and the fact that a study that was done in a completely different culture came to the same conclusion adds strength to the argument, not the other way around. Even studies that take into account many things that could affect long-term relationship satisfaction still list number of partners prior to marriage as a factor.

http://www.jstor.org/stable/585327?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents

Plus your idea about publication bias is funny, I'm sure if there was a good study that actually showed that sleeping around prior to marriage was either beneficial or had absolutely no effect on marital satisfaction that it would be cited ad nauseam all over the internet to justify sleeping around. I've posted enough evidence to support my stance even if you disagree. Until you can actually back up your claims instead of using how you feel to justify your argument then we have nothing more to discuss.

How do you get accurate information on the number of partners somebody has had? Makes no sense. Also gross about stuff that happens when you have a baby, everyone knows this, can't we pretend it doesn't happen. Women poop flowers and sunshine if they don't teach you that in medical school

TELL ME EVERYTHING THAT HAPPENED WHILE I WAS GONE

this is all very traumatic. i want to be asleep, i want it cut out of me, and i want to wake up to baby, and hair and makeup.
I believe there are OB-Gyns who have a very low threshold and will go straight to C-section. I hear you about the avoiding an episiotomy thing - no way in hell - cut me open please!

For the record I don't think that being fully-studied in what is going on in SDN dating thread will help me very much in third year

And having a baby I wouldn't be much with concerned with the gender of the physician nor much less than permanent damage as long as the baby is healthy

But, like, I guess I forgot that the purpose of my attending medical school will be so that I can feel like I am better than everyone who didn't!

Just don't have time to respond to the comments as they come in -- I am interested in the conversation

Just didn't go to medical school I think someone actually unliked something I said after I revealed this, you guys are ridiculous

Having read it to summarize it seems several people feel the need to prove they have intimate relationships with other sdn members by flirting with each other in public, famoussquamous is busy trying to prove something I'm not even sure he believes, learned to avoid epistiotomy, correlation does not equal causation. If I have misunderstood any details let me know. Oh yeah I forgot about the guy who never got laid getting pepper sprayed by the police. He kind of creeps me out pretty hard core I'm not sure how one gets in a situation where one is being pepper-sprayed by the police.

Last edited:
Just don't have time to respond to the comments as they come in -- I am interested in the conversation
Me in a nutshell. If it's more than three pages, I fast forward and reply.
It's usually pointless debacle that no one cares about except the two or three people involved.
Having read it to summarize it seems several people feel the need to prove they have intimate relationships with other sdn members by flirting with each other in public, famoussquamous is busy trying to prove something I'm not even sure he believes, learned to avoid epistiotomy, correlation does not equal causation. If I have misunderstood any details let me know. Oh yeah I forgot about the guy who never got laid getting pepper sprayed by the police. He kind of creeps me out pretty hard core I'm not sure how one gets in a situation where one is being pepper-sprayed by the police.
More like fml is in a relationship with the most pretentious dingus on SDN. the person who hasn't ever been banned beyond their belief and has a massive crush for Winged Scapula.

Agreed. Giving birth is so... Alien. C-sections seem like the best route. Why ruin your vagina for sex and also perineum? Also make your best place of intercourse that much more loose?
Yes, I'm being selfish. But honestly, a c section seems way better. But I'm not a woman.

Agreed. Giving birth is so... Alien. C-sections seem like the best route. Why ruin your vagina for sex and also perineum? Also make your best place of intercourse that much more loose?
Yes, I'm being selfish. But honestly, a c section seems way better. But I'm not a woman.
While i do agree with don't ever say this to your wife. Trust.

Faster recovery time, beneficial bacteria the baby is coated with as it passes through the birth canal, easier breastfeeding. I mean, plenty of women all around the world are able to have sex just fine after delivering a baby, obviously not right after but you wouldn't be having sex right after a c section either. And not every natural birth requires an episiotomy :shrug:

Reactions: 5 users
Not to mention that, while c-sections are common nowadays, they are still considered a major surgery and carry more risks and a longer recovery time than a normal, vaginal birth. Womens' bodies were designed to give birth. I'm surprised that anyone even remotely involved in the medical field would describe the process as "alien."

Reactions: 2 users
Don't forget that C-sections also increase the risk of future pregnancy complications (e.g. placenta previa, etc.) if you plan to have more kids... #step1repro

Not to mention that, while c-sections are common nowadays, they are still considered a major surgery and carry more risks and a longer recovery time than a normal, vaginal birth. Womens' bodies were designed to give birth. I'm surprised that anyone even remotely involved in the medical field would describe the process as "alien."

Have you even seen one?

Are we comparing it with Alien the old 80s movie?

Reading this thread was like riding a rollercoaster from hell.

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.