Columbia vs Sinai (not so obvious anymore)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doodl3s

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want people to hear this out from my point of view. and lets PUT RANK ASIDE for just a little bit.

Here's what I like:
Columbia: I've worked there doing research for 2-3 years, know doctors, love the hospital and know I will make great contacts with doctors and due to the name and rank...
The location is not that great and the students seem a bit TOO busy and neurotic (although it IS medical school). The living quarters are communal bathrooms/showers with small one person rooms.

Sinai: The location is great (for me) I get to run in central park and meet with friends by hopping on the 6 train. The students at Sinai say that 70% of students at the med school mixers are from sinai, they're known as the "fun med school". They can take classes online and have paintball (along with sports and videogames 0_0) tournaments with the grad school and faculty!
The curriculum is a bit newer, the buildings are definitely newer. your apartment is 550 a month for 4 bedroom/2bath apartments! Higher floors get balconies overlooking central park. nice gym too.
Sinai is around 8k cheaper. Research is also equal to columbia's in my mind, especially their biochem grad department and the entire new building their opening.

NOW. I clearly sound biased toward sinai. And thats the issue, I liked columbia a lot, and still do. But on paper, sinai seems better to me. its ONLY THE RANK that really make it better. What am i missing? PS, for rank people. sinai is moving fast up the ranks, and will move up next year too.

I also have nyu and cornell to look at, but tbh

I think the new decision for NYC med schools is gonna be either Mount Sinai and Columbia!

help?

Members don't see this ad.

Go where you are going to enjoy school. I'll be turning down a top 10 school for a top 45 school for this fall.
I heard that as along as you're in the top 1/3, it doesn't really matter..

I want people to hear this out from my point of view. and lets PUT RANK ASIDE for just a little bit.

Here's what I like:
Columbia: I've worked there doing research for 2-3 years, know doctors, love the hospital and know I will make great contacts with doctors and due to the name and rank...
The location is not that great and the students seem a bit TOO busy and neurotic (although it IS medical school). The living quarters are communal bathrooms/showers with small one person rooms.

Sinai: The location is great (for me) I get to run in central park and meet with friends by hopping on the 6 train. The students at Sinai say that 70% of students at the med school mixers are from sinai, they're known as the "fun med school". They can take classes online and have paintball (along with sports and videogames 0_0) tournaments with the grad school and faculty!
The curriculum is a bit newer, the buildings are definitely newer. your apartment is 550 a month for 4 bedroom/2bath apartments! Higher floors get balconies overlooking central park. nice gym too.
Sinai is around 8k cheaper. Research is also equal to columbia's in my mind, especially their biochem grad department and the entire new building their opening.

NOW. I clearly sound biased toward sinai. And thats the issue, I liked columbia a lot, and still do. But on paper, sinai seems better to me. its ONLY THE RANK that really make it better. What am i missing? PS, for rank people. sinai is moving fast up the ranks, and will move up next year too.

I think the new decision for NYC med schools is gonna be either Mount Sinai and Columbia!

help?

You've seen both places more than the average applicant, so there is no glaring thing you are 'missing' about these programs.. 10 vs 18 isnt a huge difference at all.. go with your gut.

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel you, tough choice. I personally would have gone cornell out of the three. The location isn't as convenient as sinai but it's only like 3 blocks away from the 6 train. Plus the opportunities to do research at rockefeller/MSK/HSS depending on what you're interested in seemed like a great bonus to the school. Liked the curriculum more too, although I guess they have some sort of hidden ranking?

As far as rank, it probably shouldnt be much of a factor. Although, while Sinai has been moving up fast, it's probably not going to move up much further after its stopped at 18 for 2 years. It's really hard to move around in the top 20 (look at schools like pitt who have been trying really hard to crack the top 10 but haven't really moved). Either way, rank shouldnt be an issue between these schools, although columbia would be the most recognizable of the three.

The kids I met at Sinai during my interview were cool, and I remember some of them telling me that they went harder in med school than in college. However, I didnt really get that vibe from the incoming class during second look. Columbia kids definitely go out a lot too, I went out with some of the 2nd years downtown the night before my interview and it was pretty fun. I dont think you should make your choice about which school is "more social", because the truth is that every student body will not be homogeneous and you'll find kids that are more social and kids that aren't as social at every school.

I have nothing valuable to contribute to this thread, but I will say that it really irks me when schools talk about how they're "quickly rising up through the rankings." This is nothing more than salesmanship, and I wouldn't put any confidence in these claims.

Some examples: Vanderbilt's "top 10 by 2010" campaign (do a forum search) or more recently, OSU's promise of making the top 20 by 2015, which came immediately prior to an 11 slot drop to 38.

Don't fall for the interview day hype.

I get the sense that you want to go to Sinai but don't want to give up the Columbia "prestige". Happiness is key in medical school. Many people derive happiness from a lot of different things. Prestige, having more money in their bank account (or less on their loan statement), learning from the right people, having the social life you want, etc. In the end, choose the place where you think you'll find the best balance that works for you. 4 years from now, the name of the school you went to probably won't matter much. It'll be more of the location, the experience, the people, etc.

Medicine is a long career. Always make sure you're enjoying the journey. I go to a Top 5 school and almost went to Sinai last year anyway. I chose not to go for mainly geographical reasons. Personally, if I was in Manhattan, Sinai would be my first choice.

Go where you are going to enjoy school. I'll be turning down a top 10 school for a top 45 school for this fall.
I heard that as along as you're in the top 1/3, it doesn't really matter..

Good for you man:thumbup: I'm glad to see you went with your gut and did the opposite of what most SDN'ers would do in your shoes

I get the sense that you want to go to Sinai but don't want to give up the Columbia "prestige". Happiness is key in medical school. .... In the end, choose the place where you think you'll find the best balance that works for you. 4 years from now, the name of the school you went to probably won't matter much. It'll be more of the location, the experience, the people, etc.

Medicine is a long career. Always make sure you're enjoying the journey. I go to a Top 5 school and almost went to Sinai last year anyway. I chose not to go for mainly geographical reasons. Personally, if I was in Manhattan, Sinai would be my first choice.

yes, I do admit prestige is inching away at my brain. It's annoying when I tell other people this dilemma and they're like, "Mount Sinai? I've heard of them, but why wouldnt you go to columbia?" right away!

Granted anyone actually IN the fields of medicine (even doctors) are like ":eek: WOW good for you, you're gonna be trained amazingly well at both" without mentioning any sort of ranking.

In the end, I think I want a school that has the location and ability to have a less stressful life, which is Sinai from what I've heard and seen with my own eyes.

The only thing I'm looking for here is maybe for anyone to put input on things i may be missing that one school is definitely better than the other for other reasons besides rank. I also respect the NYpresbyterian A LOT and what to be a part of it in the future. But that should only really matter come residency right?

It seems to me like you're looking for someone to convince you that picking Mt. Sinai over Columbia is a bad decision. I'm glad no one here has actually said that. (kudos to that person who turned down a top 10 for a top 45)

It sounds like you will enjoy yourself much more at Mt. Sinai. So go there. The only thing keeping you back is the prestige you may or may not get from Columbia. But really, once you're an attending, that prestige isn't going to matter to you at all. Take Sinai.

well, I'm just making sure i'm not missing anything. Part of it is that before the application process, i was 100% sure I wanted to go to Columbia. I only to revisits for the sake of them... Now I can't believe how much my disposition has changed, it's a weird feeling.

Here's what I like:

help?

You should go where you feel you fit most, but to clarify a few points for you:

1) You don't have to live in Bard Hall, there are opportunities to live nearby, down at the undergrad (10 mins away), and in some apartments. Most people live in bard hall because of convenience, price, and because you get essentially a guaranteed spot in the best apartment complex on campus (the towers) after one year.
2) Columbia and Sinai are both very "fun medical schools". Columbia puts on 3 plays a year, has a rugby team, plays intramural sports, and has mixers with the enormous number of graduate programs at the University. We have variety shows about every 2 months, wine and spirits tasting, and a number of other fun activities that people participate in (70+ clubs, food tasting, marathons, weight lifting charities, squash and other sports, a comedy troupe, two dance clubs and twice a year dance shows, etc). I have also gotten the impression that both columbia and sinai had a lot in common in that regard. The whole sinai is the most present at mixers is entirely subjective on their part and definitely varies. The mixers that I went to as a first year were definitely heavier columbia than sinai from my POV, but I didn't count everyone, meet everyone, or even stay the entire mixer to see who all came. Not all mixers are as convenient for all medical schools in the NYC area, but Columbia, Sinai, Einstein, and NYU seem to be the biggest attenders.
3) Columbia has all lectures online as well as other materials and also allows you to take FREE classes (online or in person) at any school or department affiliated with Columbia. Not to mention the wide array of combined degree programs offered if you find that you are passionate about something.

If you have any more questions about Columbia or want to stop by to meet more students feel free to hit me up in the coming weeks, I'm more than happy to host you. As I said, I think you should go where fits you best, because I can tell you from first hand experience what a blessing it is to go to your top choice.

One negative I noticed about Sinai.

Some of the students seemed really bitter about the school. One specifically told me he was only at Sinai since it was the highest ranked school he got into. I told other students I interviewed at Columbia the day before and they started talking about how they were way more "fun" than columbia students. they seemed bitter that they weren't an ivy league in a city with two ivy league schools.

but this was definitely just the vibe i got. by no means is it representative of the school. i just wanted to share my perspective since hey, thats what these threads are for

you should go to mt. sinai

you'll save money and it's obvious that you will be happier there. the minor discrepancy in the rankings won't make any difference in the long run, and you'll be saving money. your increased happiness and quality of life are well worth the trade off. go to mt sinai!

Here's what I like:

help?

Sounds like you know you'll be happier at Sinai, you just need to take the plunge. Happier med student = better grades = more successful IMO.

Members don't see this ad :)
I love Sinai as well - I had a great experience interviewing there (didn't go to second look), but every student in the suite I stayed at was doing something non-academic that night (it was a Monday night). Everyone seemed really chill, and not stressed out about school at all.

To comment on the "inferiority complex" statement above, I can easily add another one of my own. When I was interviewing at Cornell, they could never stop talking about how they were an Ivy League medical school...so apparently people have some superiority complex problems going on there (which may arguably be just as bad, if not worse, than having an inferiority complex). Of course, I don't believe any of these to be representative of the whole med school population, but it goes to show that these comments are very anecdotal, and I don't think much significance should be placed on these comments.

Going back to Sinai, I greatly enjoy the fact that students are able to structure their learning by having unproctored, self-scheduled exams. A lot of the students really like this fact, as then you are free to schedule your study time around your commitments, rather than the other way around. Additionally, Sinai places a big premium on liberal-artsy premeds, which is a huge plus for me. Their HuMed program has churned out doctor authors (see Rivka Galchen and Safran-Foer (although he probably doesn't count)), for example. I think Sinai's HuMed and emphasis on humanities majors is a very innovative and interesting approach, since they are willing to take a risk and experiment with premeds that might not fit the conventional mold. I love this kind of innovation and willingness to experiment coming from a medical school. Mount Sinai also has an excellent program in geriatrics (top of the country this year) and there is the option of doing a MD/MPH in 4 years, which is pretty appealing to me. The Central Park location is great, housing is cheap, and it's true pass/fail for the first 2 years. I really can't ask for much else.

I know at least two who are turning down Columbia for Sinai this year, so it goes to show that rankings aren't everything. Pick the place you'll be happier at - as a senior in ugrad, I finally see how important this is not only for med school, but also undergrad as well.

Just to clarify, my understanding is that most people in Aron hall live in 6 bedroom suites, with a few 4 bedroom suites available.

You should go where you feel you fit most, but to clarify a few points for you:

1) You don't have to live in Bard Hall, there are opportunities to live nearby, down at the undergrad (10 mins away), and in some apartments. Most people live in bard hall because of convenience, price, and because you get essentially a guaranteed spot in the best apartment complex on campus (the towers) after one year.
2) Columbia and Sinai are both very "fun medical schools". Columbia puts on 3 plays a year, has a rugby team, plays intramural sports, and has mixers with the enormous number of graduate programs at the University. We have variety shows about every 2 months, wine and spirits tasting, and a number of other fun activities that people participate in (70+ clubs, food tasting, marathons, weight lifting charities, squash and other sports, a comedy troupe, two dance clubs and twice a year dance shows, etc). I have also gotten the impression that both columbia and sinai had a lot in common in that regard. The whole sinai is the most present at mixers is entirely subjective on their part and definitely varies. The mixers that I went to as a first year were definitely heavier columbia than sinai from my POV, but I didn't count everyone, meet everyone, or even stay the entire mixer to see who all came. Not all mixers are as convenient for all medical schools in the NYC area, but Columbia, Sinai, Einstein, and NYU seem to be the biggest attenders.
3) Columbia has all lectures online as well as other materials and also allows you to take FREE classes (online or in person) at any school or department affiliated with Columbia. Not to mention the wide array of combined degree programs offered if you find that you are passionate about something.

If you have any more questions about Columbia or want to stop by to meet more students feel free to hit me up in the coming weeks, I'm more than happy to host you. As I said, I think you should go where fits you best, because I can tell you from first hand experience what a blessing it is to go to your top choice.

Y U NO KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT MMMCDOWE? you're making me unsure again.
I did try not to listen to all the hearsay stuff. But I seem to have missed the ability to listen to ANY lectures from ANY grad school course there. That is really something for me. and the amazing towers were just apartments like Mount Sinai's apartments. But I do know columbia has TONS of clubs, they make sure you know that when you visit, so i know their is definitely stuff to do.
I think theres a little bit of difference in the students. At columbia, many kids seem to be up at 8 and dont get back till 10 pm doing medical school stuff. Sinai kids that i met woke up at 2 in the afternoon and didnt even have class, or just didnt go, study on their own and pass. Sinai is also truly P/F, fully unranked....

I love Sinai as well - I had a great experience interviewing there (didn't go to second look), but every student in the suite I stayed at was doing something non-academic that night (it was a Monday night). Everyone seemed really chill, and not stressed out about school at all.

Going back to Sinai, I greatly enjoy the fact that students are able to structure their learning by having unproctored, self-scheduled exams. A lot of the students really like this fact, as then you are free to schedule your study time around your commitments, rather than the other way around. Additionally, Sinai places a big premium on liberal-artsy premeds, which is a huge plus for me. Their HuMed program has churned out doctor authors (see Rivka Galchen and Safran-Foer (although he probably doesn't count)), for example. I think Sinai's HuMed and emphasis on humanities majors is a very innovative and interesting approach, since they are willing to take a risk and experiment with premeds that might not fit the conventional mold. I love this kind of innovation and willingness to experiment coming from a medical school. Mount Sinai also has an excellent program in geriatrics (top of the country this year) and there is the option of doing a MD/MPH in 4 years, which is pretty appealing to me. The Central Park location is great, housing is cheap, and it's true pass/fail for the first 2 years. I really can't ask for much else.

I know at least two who are turning down Columbia for Sinai this year, so it goes to show that rankings aren't everything. Pick the place you'll be happier at - as a senior in ugrad, I finally see how important this is not only for med school, but also undergrad as well.

Also a senior in ugrad now. Thats interesting you say u noticed other turning down as well. As far as liberal-artsy, i must admit that I am NOT that. I'm the calculated science nerd who likes to chyll when not working my ass off. So, at sinai, it seems i can chill more, but columbia may jive with my more calculated side thats looking into difficult surgeon careers.

The Md/mph thing in 4 years I totally forgot about! and thats big for me too. I want to be a doctor as soon as possible which is why i dont care for the 5 year md/mph. But at the same time, i work hard and fit a lot of stuff in. Getting an MpH in four years with my MD would be a NICE touch.

Also, Sinai has this really nice neuro rotation now that I am REALLY interested in. I forget the specifics, but you do Neuroradiology, Neurosurgery, and Neurology all AT THE SAME TIME so you get to see how it all interacts at once. (i like idea of neurosurg., but a 7 year residency may change my mind :p)

GAAAH, I have such a GREAT problem that I can't even complain about!

what to do what to do....

you clearly want to go to Sinai. you should go where you'll be happy, case closed!

Y U NO KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT MMMCDOWE? you're making me unsure again.
I did try not to listen to all the hearsay stuff. But I seem to have missed the ability to listen to ANY lectures from ANY grad school course there. That is really something for me. and the amazing towers were just apartments like Mount Sinai's apartments. But I do know columbia has TONS of clubs, they make sure you know that when you visit, so i know their is definitely stuff to do.
I think theres a little bit of difference in the students. At columbia, many kids seem to be up at 8 and dont get back till 10 pm doing medical school stuff. Sinai kids that i met woke up at 2 in the afternoon and didnt even have class, or just didnt go, study on their own and pass. Sinai is also truly P/F, fully unranked....

Also a senior in ugrad now. Thats interesting you say u noticed other turning down as well. As far as liberal-artsy, i must admit that I am NOT that. I'm the calculated science nerd who likes to chyll when not working my ass off. So, at sinai, it seems i can chill more, but columbia may jive with my more calculated side thats looking into difficult surgeon careers.

The Md/mph thing in 4 years I totally forgot about! and thats big for me too. I want to be a doctor as soon as possible which is why i dont care for the 5 year md/mph. But at the same time, i work hard and fit a lot of stuff in. Getting an MpH in four years with my MD would be a NICE touch.

Also, Sinai has this really nice neuro rotation now that I am REALLY interested in. I forget the specifics, but you do Neuroradiology, Neurosurgery, and Neurology all AT THE SAME TIME so you get to see how it all interacts at once. (i like idea of neurosurg., but a 7 year residency may change my mind :p)

GAAAH, I have such a GREAT problem that I can't even complain about!

what to do what to do....

I cant help it, I have a big mouth!

More counterpoints

1)Columbia is half nonscience majors, with many humanities folk mixed within. I studied dance myself, one of my closest friends has a PhD in philosophy.
2) I dont think that is a fair assesment that columbia kids are a bunch of 8 to 10 workaholics. Despite whatever appearances, students at all schools work about the same amount in the end, some just have opportunities to be more efficient than others (such as double speed online lectures). I rarely went to class and preferred to sleep in and do my work at night. Others went to class and were out and about many nights a week. I really feel strongly in emphasizing that I doubt that Sinai has any more chillness than Columbia, though Im not saying they have less. We have so much time to dedicate to extra curriculars and enjoying the city that I just cant see how anyone could pack more into top notch medical curriculums like Sinai and Columbia. The great thing about the columbia curriculum (which is also p f truly unranked for the preclinicals) is that everything is essentially optional (a few exceptions for things that are one on one with docs or with patients). This allows you to study and learn the way you want during the preclinicals, be it in class or online. This allows you to dedicate your free time as you like, be it going to theater, doing theater, going to bars/clubs, etc, etc. Further, while Sinai is a great hospital, I think you would be hard pressed to say that they have as wide a range of opportunities during the major clinical year. We have a wide range of clinical opportunities all over the country (I just got back from doing family medicine on a native american reservation), as well as direct affiliations with international schools (something like 30 in 20 countries). You can go elsewhere, but its nice to have prepackaged clinical sites that you know are guaranteed to be good.
3) To reiterate, we are also pass fail unranked during preclinicals. Clinical grades are pretty lax, with about 30 to 50 percent of students honoring a given rotation.
4) I think you would be hard pressed to say that, of all rotations, neuro at sinai is superior to columbia. Not only do we have two of the great neuro hospitals in the city as direct affiliates (including the oldest neurological hospital in the US), but we also have a week of neurosurgery on top of the 5 weeks of neurology. Neuroradiology is encorporated into both sections, as we have 2 full interventional neuroradiolgists (Meyers and Lavine, awesome people) that are involved with the 20ish attendings in the neurosurgery department, but there are also additional neuroradiologists (Dr. Khandji comes to mind as an awesome teacher and a huge patron of Columbia theater) during your 5 week roration in neurology. We also have our basic science neurology taught by some of the greatest neurologists and neuroscientists (Dr. Kandel, nobel laureate, is hillarious) in the country. Any other rotation Id be willing to hear out, but as one of the president of the neurology and neurosurgery interest groups I feel like I have to take a stand. The opportunities to be involved in both departments are immense. Ive had a blast working with attendings directly in both departments, and Dr. Quest (superman/neurosurgeon) is one of the most dedicated people that I have ever seen in education.
5)Its subjective to cite kids choosing sinai over columbia without knowing how many are choosing columbia over sinai (which I have no clue about and I think is irrelevant to your own decision personally. Go where you are happier)

I fully support you going to Sinai if you fit best there, but I also welcome further discussion on the merits of both excellent schools.

Also, sorry for spelling errors and lack of punctuation, Im on a mexican computer and the keyboard is all different.

I cant help it, I have a big mouth!

4) I think you would be hard pressed to say that, of all rotations, neuro at sinai is superior to columbia.

Just wanted to point out i did NOT say either program was 'superior' to the other. Just that Sinai does it in a way that links all three equally (it might be a little longer than a normal rotation as well). It's not neuro, then a week of surgery. It's no big deal, I'm aware columbia has a top neuro program lol

ANd other than your neuro points, its the same at sinai, true P/F, no internal ranking, recorded lectures u can speed up... The bottom line is, the two schools are neck and neck for me. I've researched at columbia for a few years and have friends that are doctors there... And sinai left an amazing impression. I love both schools differently... I'm torn.

Just wanted to point out i did NOT say either program was 'superior' to the other. Just that Sinai does it in a way that links all three equally (it might be a little longer than a normal rotation as well). It's not neuro, then a week of surgery. It's no big deal, I'm aware columbia has a top neuro program lol

ANd other than your neuro points, its the same at sinai, true P/F, no internal ranking, recorded lectures u can speed up... The bottom line is, the two schools are neck and neck for me. I've researched at columbia for a few years and have friends that are doctors there... And sinai left an amazing impression. I love both schools differently... I'm torn.

It is not clear from your posts that you have been accepted to Columbia, Sinai, NYU and Cornell. Or whether you are speculating about your future "dilemma" of having 4 NYC med schools to choose among.

Is this a "what if" thread, or reality? If "what if" please shut up and apply to med school. If reality, go to Sinai.

It is not clear from your posts that you have been accepted to Columbia, Sinai, NYU and Cornell. Or whether you are speculating about your future "dilemma" of having 4 NYC med schools to choose among.

Is this a "what if" thread, or reality? If "what if" please shut up and apply to med school. If reality, go to Sinai.

reality... sorry, ill shut up now, I just dont know what to do. :(

^ Dude, come to Sinai. We'll party it up at Sinai in August! : )

Status
Not open for further replies.