Columbia or Penn?! HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Where would you rather go for medical school?

• Columbia P&S

Votes: 44 50.6%
  • Penn Med

Votes: 43 49.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

columbiaORpenn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am very lucky to have to decide between Columbia and Penn for medical school. I was wondering if you could please provide some insight into how you would make this decision. Please assume that financial aid is equal for both. Also, although location is somewhat of a factor that I am considering, it is not the ONLY factor and I would appreciate other reasons for choosing either school. I like them both-- I need help!

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Penn. My co-worker is waitlisted at Columbia, so help him out.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know everyone seems to love columbia on here, but up around 168th st is a nasty location (I volunteered at Presbyterian for a while). If I could go to one of those schools... Penn.

I would go to Penn. I liked the students I met at Columbia more and it would be a very close decision but in the end I think I'd go to Penn.

But I'm really not a New Yorker. I'd rather live in Philadelphia. I think you should go to both second look weekends if you can and see where you feel more at home.

since their curriculum's are pretty much identical now, i think location shoudl play a big(gish) role in your decision. do you want to me up in washington heights in nyc or in philly on the huge upenn campus?

Penn....I would give up one of my testicles to go to Penn. Unfortunately they just rejected me...ummm, guess who is not getting a testicle.

I know this is going to sound super douchey, and I feel like an idiot asking, but which school has the better name? Which one is the more prestigious institution? I am having a hard time figuring this out. While Penn is ranked (slightly) higher, Columbia's hospital is ranked higher. I agree that their curriculums are going to be very similar and that this should not be a factor when deciding between both schools.

I guess I just want to know where I'll feel the most stimulated. Where will I feel the greater sense of mission?

I know this is going to sound super douchey, and I feel like an idiot asking, but which school has the better name? Which one is the more prestigious institution? I am having a hard time figuring this out. While Penn is ranked (slightly) higher, Columbia's hospital is ranked higher. I agree that their curriculums are going to be very similar and that this should not be a factor when deciding between both schools.

I guess I just want to know where I'll feel the most stimulated. Where will I feel the greater sense of mission?

I don't think any of us can answer this question for you then. They're so close it's such a minor thing. Really, all I can just say go to Columbia so you can open up a spot at Penn and maybe somehow increase my chances of getting in off the wait list!

They're both prestigious institutions. If you don't care about financial aid and location, then all you've really got is gut feeling. Where do you want to go? Where do you think you'll be happier?

Or toss a coin.

really? you want to get picky about prestige? is it that close of a race?

Penn-----------> ~*md*~

Columbia-------> ~*md*~

judge based on the 3rd and 4th year rotation stuff if everything else is so close.

My question is, who doesn't wanna go to Penn? I do, but alas, they do not like me:(

If you want more "feel good factor" for the name sake (the "oh you went to xx school" + look of admiration). go to columbia. in terms of the lay men view, more has heard of columbia than penn.

but in terms of other things(location, facilities, etc), i'd go to penn. also i'm waitlisted at columbia so please open up another spot for me:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
ben franklin --> bifocals
ben franklin --> the franklin stove
will smith --> born and raised (in the play ground, spendin' most of his days)
paul revere --> warned us about the british

---

from above examples, it can be seen that without philly there would be no big apple to speak of because people wouldnt be able to see/brave the winter/have entertainment/or even exist

conclusion: penn

I'm sort of in the same boat...for me, I think the decision is largely going to be geographical. I went to college in Philly and have been living in the city this past year as well, but I also come from NYC. My biggest hesitation with Philly is that it's a city that's sort of "expired" in my head...meaning, it feels like it's reached its shelf life for me. At the same time, though, I was in LOVE with Penn during interview day and the program is everything I've wanted.

To make things a little more fun, I'm also still heavily considering Sinai because its environment seemed so relaxed and friendly and I love the location.

Haha. I'm a 4th year at P&S, and did a post-bac at Penn. I wanted to go to Penn until I came to revisit weekend. Can you go to both revisits? If so, go and just hang out. You're in so the pressure is off. Which people do you like more? You'll spend a good amount of time with them.

I know everyone seems to love columbia on here, but up around 168th st is a nasty location (I volunteered at Presbyterian for a while). If I could go to one of those schools... Penn.

Ok man, be fair. The fact that we're in Washington Heights made 3rd year for me. A demographic that is >75% Dominican, your time in the free-clinic and your Spanish will all benefit. For me, I got to see Polio in 2008...not bad. It's not the Upper East Side, but that's what the subway is for.

Haha. I'm a 4th year at P&S, and did a post-bac at Penn. I wanted to go to Penn until I came to revisit weekend. Can you go to both revisits? If so, go and just hang out. You're in so the pressure is off. Which people do you like more? You'll spend a good amount of time with them.

yeah, i'm going to both revisits. i'm hoping there will be an obvious frontrunner with me after revisit. how much do you love P&S as a 4th year? Would you make a different decision if you had to do it all over again?

And West Philadelphia is not??? Bottom line is Philadelphia is the armpit of the northeast and if you haven't spent time there you should...you'll see what I mean. New York is infinitely better to live in. A lot of people seem to choose Penn just because of US News Rankings. In the real world of medicine those rankings mean absolutely nothing. No program director even knows what they are. They are irrelevant, so don't even consider them when making this decision. Go where you like the people and environment more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIDdoLUrBL0

in all seriousness, to help you out: i am a student at penn med, and i have friends at many different top medical schools. the bottom line is that nowhere that i have heard are the students happier, more cohesive, and more collaborative than at penn. we work hard, love what we are doing, love our school, and party hard. for some reason, despite the condensed curriculum, everyone here is really laid back and we go out hard 2,3 nights per week, and do other fun stuff on most nights, since we spend our free afternoons studying. basically, you arent going to find a better quality of life than here at penn. and as for philly, most students live in the posh city center, near rittenhouse square, which is teeming with bars, cafes, clubs, and restaurants. i assure you, as a new yorker, that beats the crap out of 168th street.

the match results? nearly every student gets their top choice, and i say nearly just to be safe, since i have not heard of anyone who did not get their first choice. go to the website and check out the match list--all the hospitals are top 10 in their field, except where people chose a place specifically for location. the fourth years cleaned up.

frankly, to not go to penn would be a rather grave error.

now the caveat--ignore everything i just said because that is my opinion and go to both revisits to decide for yourself.

Last edited:
thanks so much for the replies! any Columbia students out there want to pitch in? I'd like to hear from both sides.

I didn't interview at Columbia, so I have no way to compare Columbia to Penn, but I was accepted MSTP at Penn (and plan to attend) this year and can tell you that during my interview, I got the impression that it was a special place.

The construction on campus is simply phenomenal -- http://www.pennconnects.upenn.edu/. New research buildings, culture, commercial, etc. The part of West Philly Penn is in is not the West Philly that most people think of.

Also, the curriculum is phenomenal, and PennMed shares campus with Penn's undergrad school, which is IMO a great thing since it makes you feel part of a university.

And, rv816, I am glad to hear a real-life Penn student so happy!

yeah, i'm going to both revisits. i'm hoping there will be an obvious frontrunner with me after revisit. how much do you love P&S as a 4th year? Would you make a different decision if you had to do it all over again?

Yeah, I would. I really enjoy it here. New York is great, and I really like my classmates. Granted 4th year is the most chill, so I'm biased lol. The Curriculum is going to be different, but I think the clinical years matter more anyway. (I seemed to learn more). P&S is great if its a fit. I was surprised and impressed. I'm sure Penn does the same for some. Enjoy the revisits, and meet a few people. Good luck.

Hey guys,

I am very lucky to have to decide between Columbia and Penn for medical school. I was wondering if you could please provide some insight into how you would make this decision. Please assume that financial aid is equal for both. Also, although location is somewhat of a factor that I am considering, it is not the ONLY factor and I would appreciate other reasons for choosing either school. I like them both-- I need help!

Thank you.

I haven't logged on to this website in quite awhile, but I'm going to refer you to my son's website: www.runpjrun.com.

In a nutshell, after completing 1.5 years at Columbia, he came home for holiday break and was found to have a brain tumor. He had a total resection on January 2, 2009.

The Columbia community has been the most supportive group of people we have ever encountered. He loved the school while he was there and he loves it more now. Not only the students in his class (2011), but the other classes, the Deans, the neurological department, the Financial Aid staff, every last one of them, have given of themselves, their time, their support 150%.

P & S's motto is "Humanism in Medicine." Believe me, they practice what they preach. You could not make a better choice.

I haven't logged on to this website in quite awhile, but I'm going to refer you to my son's website: www.runpjrun.com.

In a nutshell, after completing 1.5 years at Columbia, he came home for holiday break and was found to have a brain tumor. He had a total resection on January 2, 2009.

The Columbia community has been the most supportive group of people we have ever encountered. He loved the school while he was there and he loves it more now. Not only the students in his class (2011), but the other classes, the Deans, the neurological department, the Financial Aid staff, every last one of them, have given of themselves, their time, their support 150%.

P & S's motto is "Humanism in Medicine." Believe me, they practice what they preach. You could not make a better choice.
thanks for the reply, and good luck to your son! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.