Class of 2021 . . . how ya doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also how are everyone's classes going??

We've had almost all of them so far (Phys 1, Phys 2, Histology, Anatomy). An Anatomy lab and I just got out of a Histology lab which just... destroyed the entire class. Very confusing but we'll figure it out (she lies)
Purdue has been easy on us so far. We have a real, adult day tomorrow though. How have you had Phys 1 and 2?

Members don't see this ad :)
Purdue has been easy on us so far. We have a real, adult day tomorrow though. How have you had Phys 1 and 2?
We take them concurrently since they don't necessarily coincide. So phys 1 is more of a cell bio type class. We're talking about proteins and cell membranes and stuff right now, whereas phys 2 is organs and stuff- we're talking about connective tissue and bones and whatnot right now.

Reactions: 1 user

We've had almost all of them so far (Phys 1, Phys 2, Histology, Anatomy). An Anatomy lab and I just got out of a Histology lab which just... destroyed the entire class. Very confusing but we'll figure it out (she lies)

I'm so jealous!!! Almost 4 more weeks before orientation :( (But I get to go to Alaska for 10 days, and I'm super excited)

Reactions: 3 users
That's so weird!!! But hey! Keep enjoying your summer for me (please I'm dying already)
Will do, if you do the same when I'm dying next spring and you're already out!

First histo lab always leaves you feeling hopeless, it gets better (or worse, but you figure out how to sort through it). By the end you'll laugh at yourself for thinking epithelium was confusing.

Reactions: 1 users
First histo lab always leaves you feeling hopeless, it gets better (or worse, but you figure out how to sort through it). By the end you'll laugh at yourself for thinking epithelium was confusing.
Yeah! For the most part I kinda figured it out last night (I think). But still, oh man. The look on everyone's face once the TA stopped lecturing yesterday was priceless. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Anatomy kicked my butt, so I get to try again. Lol. No longer a sore spot; accepted a while ago with some support. And no point in hiding it! Going to be pretty obvious when I'm at orientation in two weeks. Lol
Oops I'm back haha

Well, I have no idea who you actually are, but I'm sure we'll meet in person soon enough! Hopefully anatomy goes better for you this time around!

We had a training lecture today where we learned how to talk to clients and we had to practice with each other asking the right questions to take a history. (In a couple weeks, we have a mock communications thing with fake clients and they record it and they play it for the class to point out what you did good/bad. They said that first year isn't too bad, but after that they make it exponentially more difficult. :eek:)

I definitely felt like Russell from UP today. :laugh:

"Good afternoon. My name is Cdo, and I'm a veterinary student from Oklahoma State University. Are you in need of any assistance today, ma'am?"

Reactions: 2 users
Oops I'm back haha

Well, I have no idea who you actually are, but I'm sure we'll meet in person soon enough! Hopefully anatomy goes better for you this time around!

My skills with anonymity are astoundingly poor. It will be relatively easy to figure it out once we get into the swing of things. Lol

Okay so 100000000% unrelated, but since I've never seen Up (oops) I haven't seen that scene so I watched it and low key freaked out when they were talking about hunting snipes because we definitely did that when I was pretty young in our daddy-daughter camping thing through the Y (called Indian Princess). Used to bring extra pillow cases specifically for snipe hunting :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
After 2 of our campouts (there were 3 a year I think?), some of us figured it out but then it was fun to make the new kids go snipe hunting and tell them stories of seeing/catching snipes before. :laugh:

We take them concurrently since they don't necessarily coincide. So phys 1 is more of a cell bio type class. We're talking about proteins and cell membranes and stuff right now, whereas phys 2 is organs and stuff- we're talking about connective tissue and bones and whatnot right now.

We have cell bio and then we have a histo class and today's histo lecture was basically like my entire undergrad cell bio in one lecture and it took me quite some time to even realize it was a histo lecture and not the actual cell bio lecture. What is even happening

Reactions: 5 users
Okay so 100000000% unrelated, but since I've never seen Up (oops) I haven't seen that scene so I watched it and low key freaked out when they were talking about hunting snipes because we definitely did that when I was pretty young in our daddy-daughter camping thing through the Y (called Indian Princess). Used to bring extra pillow cases specifically for snipe hunting :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
After 2 of our campouts (there were 3 a year I think?), some of us figured it out but then it was fun to make the new kids go snipe hunting and tell them stories of seeing/catching snipes before. :laugh:

My dad tells a story (which, knowing him, I believe is 100% true) about two older teenage boys who invited him snipe hunting when he was in elementary. They told him to bring a feed sack and a flashlight and meet them after dark. Their target was the snipe, a hairy mouse/shrewlike creature who could only be found at night.

My dad thought it was a great privilege to be invited along, especially from two older guys he looked up to, so he happily told an older family friend about his upcoming hunt. The older gentleman started busting out laughing and told my dad what they were actually up to: snipes (as described at least) were not real, and the boys were playing a trick on him.

Wanting to flip the tables on the older buddies, my dad disassembled his single-shot shotgun and put it in his sack. When he met up with the boys, they told him to go to the bottom of a ridge, open the sack, and flip on the flashlight. They would go to the top and beat the brush on their way down, yelling "snipe, snipe!" to flush them to him. He was to spot them and try to catch them, alive, in the sack.

After everyone was split up, my dad got in position and assembled his shotgun. As the boys came down the hill, snickering and calling out for their quarry, a shotgun blast from down the hill caused them to immediately shut up and run the other direction.

He says the boys never talked to him much after that.

This has been redneck stories with love2hunt.

Reactions: 11 users
My dad tells a story (which, knowing him, I believe is 100% true) about two older teenage boys who invited him snipe hunting when he was in elementary. They told him to bring a feed sack and a flashlight and meet them after dark. Their target was the snipe, a hairy mouse/shrewlike creature who could only be found at night.

My dad thought it was a great privilege to be invited along, especially from two older guys he looked up to, so he happily told an older family friend about his upcoming hunt. The older gentleman started busting out laughing and told my dad what they were actually up to: snipes (as described at least) were not real, and the boys were playing a trick on him.

Wanting to flip the tables on the older buddies, my dad disassembled his single-shot shotgun and put it in his sack. When he met up with the boys, they told him to go to the bottom of a ridge, open the sack, and flip on the flashlight. They would go to the top and beat the brush on their way down, yelling "snipe, snipe!" to flush them to him. He was to spot them and try to catch them, alive, in the sack.

After everyone was split up, my dad got in position and assembled his shotgun. As the boys came down the hill, snickering and calling out for their quarry, a shotgun blast from down the hill caused them to immediately shut up and run the other direction.

He says the boys never talked to him much after that.

This has been redneck stories with love2hunt.
that's...

This is actually beautiful. :laugh:

Reactions: 1 users
We have cell bio and then we have a histo class and today's histo lecture was basically like my entire undergrad cell bio in one lecture and it took me quite some time to even realize it was a histo lecture and not the actual cell bio lecture. What is even happening
Ugh the feels. We spent several months talking about all these different pathways in the mitochondria in biochem 2 and our physio 1 professor just SKIPPED OVER IT. "Yeah that's the Krebs cycle... glycolysis... gluconeogenesis"

I have like no advantage anymore. I was counting on having those already under my belt!!! o_O

Reactions: 6 users
You guyz are scaring me. (egg and singb)

You guyz are scaring me. (egg and singb)
Um. Vet school is actually rainbows and butterflies and sunshine and there's no confusion and everyone gets along and you always have enough time in the day and you definitely don't mentally question if you're smart enough to be there 10x a day.

Ugh the feels. We spent several months talking about all these different pathways in the mitochondria in biochem 2 and our physio 1 professor just SKIPPED OVER IT. "Yeah that's the Krebs cycle... glycolysis... gluconeogenesis"

I have like no advantage anymore. I was counting on having those already under my belt!!! o_O

Don't worry cdo, all those topics (and more) will be covered in phys 3!:banana:

Um. Vet school is actually rainbows and butterflies and sunshine and there's no confusion and everyone gets along and you always have enough time in the day and you definitely don't mentally question if you're smart enough to be there 10x a day.

LOL. Much, much better. Orientation tomorrow!

Reactions: 4 users
Way to go. You just HAD to bring up the biochem. I could have died not knowing.
we're not gonna die! My muscles and joints want to die right now, but that's beside the point. But we can do it! Plus if it's actually stuff I know I can try to help. :highfive:

I can almost say the orientation presentation with our associate dean. I've had three cups of coffee and still might fall asleep.

Don't worry cdo, all those topics (and more) will be covered in phys 3!:banana:
Oh good, I was about to complain because we definitely had to know a lot about that stuff for physiology. I do not miss that class one bit.

Oh good, I was about to complain because we definitely had to know a lot about that stuff for physiology. I do not miss that class one bit.

Yeah, we didn't get out that easy....

Full names correctly spelled for receptors and ligands and processes and all!!! lol
I had to know those too so at least I knew them at one point. I knew a lot of things at one point but I don't seem to remember anything anymore.

Thank the lord for good TA's though (especially multiple anatomy TA's- they're saints.) :laugh:

Guys, a bar crawl on blood thinners is bad news bears.

Fun stories from the first week:
  • I learned what a radiograph of a sock looks like (it looks like a sock. Or a ghost. Ghost socks?)
  • Our professor cut class short to watch the eclipse and our class collectively freaked out for like two hours about the eclipse
  • I accidentally found the office of a professor I have known for three years while I was looking for a bathroom
  • One of our emergency & critical care clinicians is basically the same person as me
  • I've taken up impromptu anatomy tutoring and managed to throw a birthday party/anatomy lesson at the same time
  • I think I'm currently about 500% more chill than your average vet student
How professors think I should be:
beaker-gif-20.gif

How I am:
giphy.gif

Reactions: 11 users
  • I learned what a radiograph of a sock looks like (it looks like a sock. Or a ghost. Ghost socks?)
  • Our professor cut class short to watch the eclipse and our class collectively freaked out for like two hours about the eclipse
  • I accidentally found the office of a professor I have known for three years while I was looking for a bathroom
  • One of our emergency & critical care clinicians is basically the same person as me
  • I've taken up impromptu anatomy tutoring and managed to throw a birthday party/anatomy lesson at the same time
beaker-gif-20.gif

How I am:
giphy.gif
God I love you :love:

beaker-gif-20.gif

How I am:
giphy.gif
I, being the type of person that I am, just hosted an anatomy study session outside of my group so I went from frantic meeping, to not as frantic but not super chill meeping. :laugh:

I'm really jealous of all of you that have started classes already. I still don't even leave for orientation for 2 weeks!

I'm really jealous of all of you that have started classes already. I still don't even leave for orientation for 2 weeks!
Enjoy the free time while you still can!

Reactions: 3 users
Class of 2021 ...

I couldn't resist posting this picture for you.

View attachment 223027

Keep up the good work ... it may be demanding, hard and time-consuming, but you can DO IT!!!! :)
*tries not to think about lectures*
*cries*

I know that @singhb09 mimics my feelings when it comes to that. :laugh: On the bright side, I am 5/80ths (1/16ths) done with the first semester of vet school *cries more*

*tries not to think about lectures*
*cries*

I know that @singhb09 mimics my feelings when it comes to that. :laugh: On the bright side, I am 5/80ths (1/16ths) done with the first semester of vet school *cries more*
You're 1/128th a vet! :clap:

Reactions: 6 users
beaker-gif-20.gif

How I am:
giphy.gif

*fist bump*

Me too.

To the point where yesterday I had a brief moment where I wondered if I should be freaking out more. But then I just didn't want to worry about that either, so I had a beer and took a nap with the cat instead.

Last edited: