Class of 2021 . . . how ya doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Jumping off of the current discussion, does anybody know what is a "reasonable" monthly payment via the standard repayment programs (e.g. 10 year, 25 year)? At this point in my life I have only been a student with part-time jobs, so I am not familiar with all of the different expenses and taxes I will have to deal with upon graduation. For instance, is a $1000 monthly payment doable for a single person starting off at a $65,000 salary (I think that's a reasonable salary for my area), or is that way too high to live modestly? I feel a bit stupid for asking this but I know many of you guys have more life experience than me. I have run the VIN simulator many times but I still am struggling putting the monthly payments into perspective.

It really depends on cost of living in the area. For instance I was paying just around $1,000 a month after graduating from undergrad, and I had around $65,000 starting. My rent was low due to living with my now husband, and that was by far my largest expense. In some areas it's completely doable, for others not even remotely possible.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I posted it about two hours after I got the email, once I called all of my immediate family that would be seriously offended if they didn't hear it directly from me (mom, dad, brother, grandpa, two grandmas, and aunt).

I wake up every morning, fearing that OkState realized their mistake and are rescinding my admission- and it's been 2 1/2 weeks since I found out. So I promise you're not the only one!

I borrowed your collage idea and I think everyone loved it :) The day I got the call, my parents and I spent like 3 hours calling just my dad's side of the family, and I think I have slight hearing loss from all the screaming :laugh:

Reactions: 3 users
I borrowed your collage idea and I think everyone loved it :) The day I got the call, my parents and I spent like 3 hours calling just my dad's side of the family, and I think I have slight hearing loss from all the screaming :laugh:
Your childhood pictures were precious! I thought about trying to find one of mine, but considering I looked like Harry Potter for all of my childhood I decided against opening that can of worms. :rofl:

Members don't see this ad :)
I was talking to my dad and he said that feeling, in general, never goes away. He said that several years after his college/ masters graduation he would frequently have nightmares that he actually didn't turn a paper or something, and didn't actually graduate. So yay for the crippling paranoia that we're not good enough!

Wow... I haven't posted in a while but I'm SO glad I'm not the only one who feels like I'm floating around in a dream for the past two weeks. NOTHING feels real. I have to literally say to myself, "I'm going to vet school." :happy:

Reactions: 4 users
Wow... I haven't posted in a while but I'm SO glad I'm not the only one who feels like I'm floating around in a dream for the past two weeks. NOTHING feels real. I have to literally say to myself, "I'm going to vet school." :happy:

That's how I was too! It took me a solid three weeks to get over the shock/dream effect that this is really happening and then I had a couple weeks of freaking out from imposter syndrome. Now I just really want it to be the fall or to at least get more info about starting school since I won't get anything from K-State until around June!

Reactions: 2 users
Jumping off of the current discussion, does anybody know what is a "reasonable" monthly payment via the standard repayment programs (e.g. 10 year, 25 year)? At this point in my life I have only been a student with part-time jobs, so I am not familiar with all of the different expenses and taxes I will have to deal with upon graduation. For instance, is a $1000 monthly payment doable for a single person starting off at a $65,000 salary (I think that's a reasonable salary for my area), or is that way too high to live modestly? I feel a bit stupid for asking this but I know many of you guys have more life experience than me. I have run the VIN simulator many times but I still am struggling putting the monthly payments into perspective.

Could be tough depending on where you are.

With a 65K salary, I would bring home about 3400/month. Rent my first year out was $1600/month and that was a pretty typical range for all the places I looked at. Some were less but included fewer utilities or required additional pet deposits/rent. People with an SO have it a lot easier when there's two people splitting that rent. So, $1600+ utilities + groceries + gas + car/renters insurance, car payment if you have one, pet expenses, health insurance, any license fees that work doesn't cover.... it disappears quickly. If you are willing/able to live with roommates or otherwise keep costs down, $1000 a month could be doable for student loans. But I also know many people who's standard monthly payment is 2-3K per month for their loans..

Your childhood pictures were precious! I thought about trying to find one of mine, but considering I looked like Harry Potter for all of my childhood I decided against opening that can of worms. :rofl:

Funny you say that, because I have pictures from Harry Potter book releases of me dressed like Hermione... so much so that people were lining up to take pictures with me because I was that acurate :laugh: we need to compare pics lol!

Reactions: 2 users
Ok, one doctor's visit and four phone calls later... it looks like it'll be covered!

Details, in case they help:

My doctor said he does not carry the vaccine but I should contact a travel clinic. I found a travel/urgent care clinic that does pre-exposure rabies and takes my insurance (Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO). I called my insurance company to ask if it would be covered, and they said that immunizations are generally covered 100% and I wouldn't need to provide any paperwork, but I should get the exact billing code and call back to be sure. I called the urgent care clinic and they gave me the billing code. I called my insurance company again and gave them the code, and here's where it got a little tricky. The customer service rep put in the code and said it came up as a rabies "injectable oral medication." Since that didn't make sense, she then tried a whole bunch of combinations. Even with a specific billing code, how much I'm charged can depend on if the visit is coded as out-patient or in-office and if it's coded as an immunization (covered 100%) or an injection or injectable oral medication (I pay $500 and then the rest is covered at 80%). Eventually she figured that in this particular case, it shouldn't matter whether it's in-office or out-patient and that since it is an immunization, I should ask the doctor to code it as one and not an injection (and she said the doctor will as long as they think that's appropriate). I called the clinic back and was able to confirm that it will be coded as an immunization, so it should be covered 100%. Huzzah!

I hope this helps! For anyone else trying this, I would recommend finding a travel clinic that does rabies vaccines and making sure they take your insurance and are considered in-network (may be difficult if you have an HMO, but the clinic I'm going to is in-network for some HMOs so it's worth a try). Ask them for the billing code, then call your insurance company to ask if it's covered. You may have to go through something similar with immunizations vs. injections and in-office vs. out-patient. Feel free to PM (or ask here) if you have any questions.

EDIT: I'm annoyed with myself for not even trying this earlier. I used to volunteer at a wildlife clinic that would only let vaccinated people work with raccoons. I missed out on some baby raccoon snuggles!

So after spending an hour on the phone with the insurance, and them calling my pcp directly, I found out that they do not cover the rabies series unfortunately. So looks like I'll be spending the $720 to get it at my schools health clinic. Thanks so much for your help though!

So I have a July birthday, and my large family is so excited this year because "we can buy you vet school stuff! Pick out what you want, and we'll buy it for you!". So I have different family members calling 'dibs' on different things for me as soon as I decide which one I want- I have two aunts already planning on going halfsies on my stethoscope. :laugh: They're all so happy.

Reactions: 10 users
So I have a July birthday, and my large family is so excited this year because "we can buy you vet school stuff! Pick out what you want, and we'll buy it for you!". So I have different family members calling 'dibs' on different things for me as soon as I decide which one I want- I have two aunts already planning on going halfsies on my stethoscope. :laugh: They're all so happy.

I'm July, too! The 3rd. :)

Also, don't know if it has been addressed, but generally first year you go ahead and take a bit more than you might think just in case until you have an actual baseline for your needs. There is nothing more stressful than getting used to things and suddenly finding yourself with no money on top of it and no way to get a job to fix it. It sucks, but don't screw yourself by being too conservative either.

Is it possible to go back and borrow more than you initially took out, or to return whatever you don't use? Which is easier to do?

Is it possible to go back and borrow more than you initially took out, or to return whatever you don't use? Which is easier to do?

You can do either (you have 120 days to return which is nearly the length of a semester). It's easier to get more than return but both are completely doable.

Members don't see this ad :)

Returning what you don't use is probably easier, but definitely check into whether or not loan fees are still deducted from whatever you return. Federal direct unsubsidized loans have a fee of about 1% taken out of whatever you borrow, and grad PLUS loans have a fee of over 4%. If those fees aren't also refunded, that would be a waste.

I'm sure you'll get more info from the financial aid office when it gets closer to the start of school. Technically, being able to return unwanted loan money for up to 120 days is at the school's discretion and different schools have different policies about lending you more money, so it's important to check specifically with where you're going.

It totally depends. I make considerably less than that, live in a fairly high COL area, don't feel like I'm making any major sacrifices, and save well over $1,000 per month. I live with my SO and don't have a car, which both help a lot. Our apartment is pretty crappy- that helps too :)

To really put things in perspective, it helps to come up with a mock-budget of rent, food, car payments, loan payments, etc. Keep in mind that while you may be fine with roommates and eating ramen now, when you're in your 30s and well past graduation you may be sick of living like a student. If you have large dogs, that can also raise your rent considerably. Job benefits (especially health insurance) can also have a big effect.

There are all sorts of take-home pay calculators that will show you how much your paychecks will actually be, so you don't need to know specifics about taxes. Here's one. Hopefully, if you're living in an area with high taxes and a high cost of living, your salary will be higher than average as well.

If you aren't already using mint.com, I highly, highly recommend it. You link it with your credit/debit cards and bank accounts and it automatically tracks how much you're spending/saving and exactly where that money is going. You can use it to budget, but it's also nice just to keep track of your finances and predict your future spending.

As mentioned, either is possible. I don't know the process for taking out more (except if an emergency comes up and you need it I imagine it would take longer to get to you than you would probably like) but as far as sending it back:

Returning what you don't use is probably easier, but definitely check into whether or not loan fees are still deducted from whatever you return. Federal direct unsubsidized loans have a fee of about 1% taken out of whatever you borrow, and grad PLUS loans have a fee of over 4%. If those fees aren't also refunded, that would be a waste
TPanda mentions something important here...and at least at UTK, that fee is not refunded, and I imagine it wouldn't be elsewhere either.

The 12th here! :) it's gonna be a lonely birthday though, especially since it's my 21st and I won't be able to celebrate in Stillwater where all my friends live.

Birthday buddies!!

Was talking to a couple of people who will be applying this coming cycle yesterday, and all I could think was "I'm so glad I don't have to do that ever again" lol.

Reactions: 13 users
Was talking to a couple of people who will be applying this coming cycle yesterday, and all I could think was "I'm so glad I don't have to do that ever again" lol.

After two years of applying (and all the emotional baggage with it), I also am so grateful to not have to repeat the process again!

Reactions: 6 users
I'm glad I don't have to spend the money on applying again. Also, I'm grateful this will be my last undergrad class I ever have to take!

Reactions: 7 users
I'm excited to be done taking these gen eds. I "nicely" spread them all out so I wouldn't be taking 100% science any semester, but they always end up being my least favorite. I'm taking an upper division philosophy this semester and have determined I am NOT a philosopher. :rolleyes: Bring it on, 100% science.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm excited to be done taking these gen eds. I "nicely" spread them all out so I wouldn't be taking 100% science any semester, but they always end up being my least favorite. I'm taking an upper division philosophy this semester and have determined I am NOT a philosopher. :rolleyes: Bring it on, 100% science.
I took science related philosophy courses, which ended up being a great idea. Philosophy of Artificial Intelligence and Philosophy of Neuroscience.

I took science related philosophy courses, which ended up being a great idea. Philosophy of Artificial Intelligence and Philosophy of Neuroscience.
They had a couple similar courses here but unfortunately none of them would fit with my schedule. :( I am taking philosophy of race. Important topic with everything that's been going on, but I struggle forming a coherent opinion when it comes to a lot of it.

Last edited:
I was so happy I will never have to do the MMI format A&M uses again. That was the most stressful part of the entire process (including waiting to find out after interviews - the interview was terrifying).
I got stupid lucky and got accepted to a school that didn't interview out of state students, and got rejected from schools that did interview. So I never actually interviewed for vet school (which I am very okay with)

I was so happy I will never have to do the MMI format A&M uses again. That was the most stressful part of the entire process (including waiting to find out after interviews - the interview was terrifying).
I was thinking about this the other day, but I wonder why MMIs were so stressful for me vs. other people who said they were fun.

Is it because I don't have a strong moral and ethic compass? :oops:

I got stupid lucky and got accepted to a school that didn't interview out of state students, and got rejected from schools that did interview. So I never actually interviewed for vet school (which I am very okay with)

Damn girl. How'd you make that one work?! Lol

I was thinking about this the other day, but I wonder why MMIs were so stressful for me vs. other people who said they were fun.

I definitely wouldn't say that. MMIs aren't for everyone and A&M's is particularly intense. While I don't particularly mind them, A&Ms was far from fun. However, when I did Michigan State's MMI, I had an absolute blast. So I think it depends on the school cuz theirs was way different.
But one thing is for sure, I am SO glad I never have to do any interviews for vet school again!

Reactions: 3 users
I definitely wouldn't say that. MMIs aren't for everyone and A&M's is particularly intense. While I don't particularly mind them, A&Ms was far from fun. However, when I did Michigan State's MMI, I had an absolute blast. So I think it depends on the school cuz theirs was way different.
But one thing is for sure, I am SO glad I never have to do any interviews for vet school again!

I thought VA-MD's MMI was really fun, but I kinda approached it as a game and honestly had a really good time at all my interviews. Some people like that stuff, others don't...

Yes I'm sure that's exactly what it is ;). For me interviews are already so stressful, but eventually I relax a little once I get a better read on my interviewers. It seems like you don't really get the chance to do this in MMIs.

This is a really interesting conversation to me because I felt that I connected really well with most of my MMI interviewers (at TAMU specifically too lol)

EXACTLY. I really like the chance to connect with the interviewers but that is nearly impossible during MMIs. So happy that process is over!

I agree! I really connected with my interviewers at Minnesota during their formal interview. I still enjoyed the MMI at MSU but I felt Minnesota's interview process was superior in every way, including the welcome weekend itself and the opportunity to get to know your interviewer/express yourself. I was so impressed when the day after my interview, some of the faculty sat down to eat lunch with other veterinary students, interviewees, and myself. This won't be everyone's experience, but was definitely mine!

My MMI was heavily influenced by the 0.5 hours of sleep I got before hand due to travel craziness and nerves. As a result I think it might have helped me because I was too tired to give a ****. I came out laughing, others came out near tears. It is what it is. They want to put you under as much pressure that they can and see how you react because your going to be stressed as hell the next four years and they want to make sure you can take it. That's how I felt, but I certainly never interviewed at A&M, so I can't comment there.

Reactions: 6 users
That's awesome! Since it was only the 3rd year for MSU to interview like this maybe they should talk!

There were definetly rooms I could connect with the interviewers but a lot of them were questions being read off of a paper with minimal eye contact. Honestly practicing more would have probably made the experience much much better. Oh well.. it's over!

I believe Minnesota had an outside party design their behavioral based interview. However, knowing people prefer the MMI's I suppose it's important to be prepared for both types. I also had a 1-2 interviewers who read straight from the paper with little eye contact, while others I either knew personally or were really outgoing/invested in the process. Interesting for sure. But yeah, it's over and done with! Woohoo for that.

My MMI was heavily influenced by the 0.5 hours of sleep I got before hand due to travel craziness and nerves. As a result I think it might have helped me because I was too tired to give a ****. I came out laughing, others came out near tears. It is what it is. They want to put you under as much pressure that they can and see how you react because your going to be stressed as hell the next four years and they want to make sure you can take it. That's how I felt, but I certainly never interviewed at A&M, so I can't comment there.

In tears? Gosh, that would be an awful way to leave any interview. :-/

Yeah I enjoyed the interviews (both MMI and traditional). Coincidentally (or not?) I got accepted at everywhere that interviewed me and rejected from everywhere that doesn't interview.

I liked my MMI! I only had one MMI and one traditional, open-file interview. I actually felt like I was able to express myself more with the MMI, but I think part of that was because I had (I think) about 10 seven-minute stations at the MMI and only one 15-minute interview for the other.

Some of the MMI questions were weird and I'm sure I didn't do well for some, but I felt like my interviewers actually learned new things about me and I was able to sell myself. The other interview had pretty blah questions (what was you favorite class, tell my about x experience, etc.). Then again, it was only 15 minutes so it couldn't be too in depth.

Oof. I'm sorry to hear some were so upset. I think my group was mostly confused- I know I had no clue how I did. I think it's rare to reliably predict your interview performance. I bet some of the people who were upset got in!

I liked my MMI! I only had one MMI and one traditional, open-file interview. I actually felt like I was able to express myself more with the MMI, but I think part of that was because I had (I think) about 10 seven-minute stations at the MMI and only one 15-minute interview for the other.

Some of the MMI questions were weird and I'm sure I didn't do well for some, but I felt like my interviewers actually learned new things about me and I was able to sell myself. The other interview had pretty blah questions (what was you favorite class, tell my about x experience, etc.). Then again, it was only 15 minutes so it couldn't be too in depth.

Oof. I'm sorry to hear some were so upset. I think my group was mostly confused- I know I had no clue how I did. I think it's rare to reliably predict your interview performance. I bet some of the people who were upset got in!

I'm sure they did! I could just see the stress radiating off them, I felt like they needed a hug... or a cookie. The nice thing was there were current student hanging around after the interview and they had their dogs with them so it was like a little therapy session! :laugh:

Haha, I was kidding...sort of!
Yes I'm sure that's exactly what it is ;). For me interviews are already so stressful, but eventually I relax a little once I get a better read on my interviewers. It seems like you don't really get the chance to do this in MMIs.

Texas A&M's MMI questions were all ethical/behavioural/situational stuff - nothing that would typically be seen in a traditional interview (except for one, I think). Which can be nice, I suppose, since it's an almost entirely separate aspect from your application. The interviewers are instructed to give no feedback whatsoever, so a lot of mine didn't even smile or frown. A few nodded their heads to show they were listening.

It was really stressful because there wasn't anything reassuring me and I kind of have foot in mouth syndrome so I was worrying half the time that I said something really really stupid lol

I'm sure they did! I could just see the stress radiating off them, I felt like they needed a hug... or a cookie. The nice thing was there were current student hanging around after the interview and they had their dogs with them so it was like a little therapy session! :laugh:
Hahahahaha..."or a cookie" :claps:

Texas A&M's MMI questions were all ethical/behavioural/situational stuff - nothing that would typically be seen in a traditional interview (except for one, I think). Which can be nice, I suppose, since it's an almost entirely separate aspect from your application. The interviewers are instructed to give no feedback whatsoever, so a lot of mine didn't even smile or frown. A few nodded their heads to show they were listening.

It was really stressful because there wasn't anything reassuring me and I kind of have foot in mouth syndrome so I was worrying half the time that I said something really really stupid lol

Yeah I feel some people really get in their own heads too much. I can be kind of telling if someone doesn't get feedback and they immediately start thinking negative thoughts (not that this is what you were doing!) or those who are all cocky and think they're the best. I think it's a great way to determine a person's ability to preform under pressure.

One of my friends had a similar experience with TAMU's interview. I never did any MMI style interviews so can't comment myself, but he said it was very disconcerting to basically be talking to a brick wall.

VA-MD's was kinda like this. They weren't really allowed to give any feedback, but I still found most everyone to be pretty friendly.

I can be like this sometimes but one of the things I actually liked about MMIs is that if I did say something stupid or stumble on a question (which definitely happened), I could leave that in the room when I moved on to the next station. It was like starting with a clean slate and I loved that.

Yeah I feel some people really get in their own heads too much. I can be kind of telling if someone doesn't get feedback and they immediately start thinking negative thoughts (not that this is what you were doing!) or those who are all cocky and think they're the best. I think it's a great way to determine a person's ability to preform under pressure.
One of my friends had a similar experience with TAMU's interview. I never did any MMI style interviews so can't comment myself, but he said it was very disconcerting to basically be talking to a brick wall.

Yeah, a lot of the pressure definitely comes from the lack of feedback. Traditional interviews helped me relax and open up more with how friendly the interviewers were - I was still nervous as heck and my hands were kind of shaking at the end of my MMI lmao

I can be like this sometimes but one of the things I actually liked about MMIs is that if I did say something stupid or stumble on a question (which definitely happened), I could leave that in the room when I moved on to the next station. It was like starting with a clean slate and I loved that.

Oh god there was definitely one room where I sounded like the biggest idiot on the face of the planet and that was one of the very few rooms where I could tell what they were thinking. Lemme tell ya...they were not impressed :bang:

I was thinking about this the other day, but I wonder why MMIs were so stressful for me vs. other people who said they were fun. :oops:

I have to admit I did not find mine particularly fun. I only did one interview period and it was MMI, so I have no basis of comparison. It just felt very all over the place as far as the questions and the interviewers, and I left with no clear feeling as far as how I did. I have to admit, some of the questions were so left field it really bugged my sense of order.