Class of 2021 . . . how ya doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Lately it's felt like vet school acceptances 2.0 with all my classmates posting about their jobs/internships. I posted something low key when I sent my deposit in to OSU about being excited to be a buckeye. Probably not going to post anything about my internship other than adding it to my job section after I start.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Is anyone else dealing with jealous people/ snide comments about you getting accepted and them not? If so, I'd really appreciate an answer of how to deal with this.

So I've been friends with this girl for 2 1/2 years- same major (my 3.6 GPA vs her 2.9), she's IS, and I'm OOS, and she's a lot older than me and she has probably 13,000 vet hours and I had 600. She seemed happy about me getting in, but she keeps making super snide comments about everything. I felt bad about getting in and she didn't, but I barely shared my excitement to her because of that. I really don't know what to do- I don't want to ruin this friendship/ professional relationship but she's being a terrible friend. Anyone have any ideas/ went through this same situation?

Is anyone else dealing with jealous people/ snide comments about you getting accepted and them not? If so, I'd really appreciate an answer of how to deal with this.

So I've been friends with this girl for 2 1/2 years- same major (my 3.6 GPA vs her 2.9), she's IS, and I'm OOS, and she's a lot older than me and she has probably 13,000 vet hours and I had 600. She seemed happy about me getting in, but she keeps making super snide comments about everything. I felt bad about getting in and she didn't, but I barely shared my excitement to her because of that. I really don't know what to do- I don't want to ruin this friendship/ professional relationship but she's being a terrible friend. Anyone have any ideas/ went through this same situation?

Her attitude isn't your problem, it's something she'll have to come to terms with. Why should you feel bad you didn't do anything wrong, you didn't tell them to not accept her. Again, not your problem. Just leave her to her sour grapes and hopefully she'll get over it eventually.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)

It sounds like you're attempting to be a good friend and I encourage you to keep trying to be one, even though she's being challenging to be friends with at the moment. It might even be worth of a discussion of something like... "Hey, I am really sorry this wasn't your year. I am willing to help in any way I can for your next cycle (PS editing, etc). However, I am feeling hurt by some of the things you are saying". Ideally, she will realize that her not getting in has nothing to do with you, and that other's happiness should never affect her own. It's a hard lesson but it's one that is important to learn, and if she gets to keep a friend through while learning that, all the better.

Reactions: 7 users
Her attitude isn't your problem, it's something she'll have to come to terms with. Why should you feel bad you didn't do anything wrong, you didn't tell them to not accept her. Again, not your problem. Just leave her to her sour grapes and hopefully she'll get over it eventually.
Yeah hopefully. Thanks Bear.
It sounds like you're attempting to be a good friend and I encourage you to keep trying to be one, even though she's being challenging to be friends with at the moment. It might even be worth of a discussion of something like... "Hey, I am really sorry this wasn't your year. I am willing to help in any way I can for your next cycle (PS editing, etc). However, I am feeling hurt by some of the things you are saying". Ideally, she will realize that her not getting in has nothing to do with you, and that other's happiness should never affect her own. It's a hard lesson but it's one that is important to learn, and if she gets to keep a friend through while learning that, all the better.
That's what I'm thinking as well. If it keeps going I'll talk to her. Hopefully she stops though.

I didn't have anything to this extent happen, but here are just a few thoughts I'm going to toss out there:
  • Don't let anyone belittle your accomplishments, but be polite about it. I had a great GPA when I applied and every once in a while people would try to tell me I only got in because of that and I would always gently remind them about all of the work I put in to my application (vet/animal/extracurricular/volunteering hours, writing strong essays, etc etc) and essentially say that I hope schools considered me as a whole instead of just sweeping me into the accept bin because they thought I would do well in classes. I think people tended to get the message that I was communicating that it was hurtful to suggest that I could have gotten in with an on average worse application just because one portion of my app was strong.
  • Your friend probably needs some time to process things right now and being around people who have gotten in probably still pokes a very sore spot for her right now. I would let her know that you're willing to support her or help her in any way she needs, but you should probably give her some space for the time being.
  • With the above being said, there is also a limit to how long she should need to process, what kind of support you should give her, and how much space she needs.
  • If you always need to be at arm's length away from her because otherwise she'll start trying to throw verbal kicks and punches, stay way away from her and let her know you're giving her space because she is treating you disrespectfully right now and that's not how friends should treat one another.
  • Likewise if she takes "being supportive" to mean "tell me everything about your application and how you're somehow better than me", don't participate in that. If she wants to know why she wasn't accepted she needs to do a file review and listen to the feedback the school has to share with her.
  • And, as rough as it is to not get in... That's not an excuse for her to treat people she knows like garbage, and that's behavior that someone is eventually going to call her out on.
  • The trap everyone always falls into is somehow thinking that veterinary admissions are direct comparisons, despite the fact that the nuances of building a class are a lot more intricate than that. Adcoms spend a lot of time balancing interests, backgrounds, aptitudes, IS/OOS, "fit" with the school culture, etc when they're admitting people. I feel like not getting in to a school isn't always a commentary on the personal greatness of an applicant, and shouldn't be read as such. It's not like schools send you individualized hate letters with every rejection they send. Sometimes it's not your cycle and that's okay and your eye should always be on improvement and moving forward
  • Frankly, if it were me, I would politely tell her every time she was doing something rude/snide/uncomfortable, especially if I couldn't avoid her for a while (say if you have a class together). Something simple, along the lines of "I know you feel that way but I found that comment hurtful and I would appreciate it if you didn't make it to me again." Be respectful, but always remember to advocate for yourself and your feelings.
  • You shouldn't feel bad about getting in and nobody has the right to make you feel that way.

Reactions: 6 users

Well. I think you need to understand that the heart of it is her own disappointment. I doubt she's TRYING to take it out on you, it just sucks for her.

Not saying it's ok to make snide comments to you when you deserve to have people celebrate with you. Just saying ..... I'd try to understand that the source of her behavior is her disappointment in her own outcome.

You can't do anything except give it time.

And hey - would you rather be accepted and have to deal with this, or not accepted? :)

Reactions: 8 users

Just ignore her, I'm sure she's feeling pretty down on herself, and while it isn't your responsibility to make her feel better, maybe just allow her time to realize that she can't take it out on you. I honestly have been trying to avoid the topic of vet school around other people who I know applied unless they bring it up because I do feel really bad for the friends I have who haven't gotten in/waitlisted. Plus, I'm kinda sad too...I wanted everyone to get in!

Reactions: 3 users
I lived with someone for all of vet school who was unsuccessful getting into stateside and caribbean schools. Every once in a while I'd definitely get a bit of a snide comment, but I knew it wasn't coming from a bad place, just disappointment and rejection. Time and being kind fixes most things.

Reactions: 8 users
Well. I think you need to understand that the heart of it is her own disappointment. I doubt she's TRYING to take it out on you, it just sucks for her.

Not saying it's ok to make snide comments to you when you deserve to have people celebrate with you. Just saying ..... I'd try to understand that the source of her behavior is her disappointment in her own outcome.

You can't do anything except give it time.

And hey - would you rather be accepted and have to deal with this, or not accepted? :)
A couple of us were studying for a biochem test and I had about 100 Flashcards made already and she was like "why are you bothering studying? Already better than the rest of us". Couple more but idk that specifically rubbed me the wrong way.

I also don't bring it up unless someone brings it up to me.

Definitely excited I'm in though! I'll deal with terrible people everyday until August if I have to, cause I'm fab like that. :laugh: (Obvious internet and not irl sarcasm)
tumblr_lx8j8dChAe1qin8q8o1_500.gif

Reactions: 1 user
A couple of us were studying for a biochem test and I had about 100 Flashcards made already and she was like "why are you bothering studying? Already better than the rest of us". Couple more but idk that specifically rubbed me the wrong way.
Do you have biochem in the PM? I still haven't figured out what to think about that professor. But at least her class isn't overly difficult.

As far as the vet school thing, I was worried I was going to find myself in a similar situation. My OOS best friend was not accepted this round, unfortunately. Thankfully she has been really supportive and I've done my best to be the same for her. She is incredibly smart and I'm sad she won't be going on with me, but I'm confident she'll make it in the next go around and have made sure to express that to her. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have biochem in the PM? I still haven't figured out what to think about that professor. But at least her class isn't overly difficult.

As far as the vet school thing, I was worried I was going to find myself in a similar situation. My OOS best friend was not accepted this round, unfortunately. Thankfully she has been really supportive and I've done my best to be the same for her. She is incredibly smart and I'm sad she won't be going on with me, but I'm confident she'll make it in the next go around and have made sure to express that to her. :)
Check your pm! I PM'd you!

It's rough, seeing other people be successful where you have not, especially if you feel like you deserve it. We're all only human, you know? It sounds like you're trying to consider her feelings and be a good friend, so just keep doing what you're doing and hopefully she'll start to get over it and her attitude will improve. Maybe give her some space if you can. If it gets bad enough that you feel it's warranted, you can gently talk to her about it.

Edit: Should finish reading the thread before I respond...since this was pretty much all already covered...and also forgot which thread I was in :rage:

Reactions: 1 users
It's rough, seeing other people be successful where you have not, especially if you feel like you deserve it. We're all only human, you know? It sounds like you're trying to consider her feelings and be a good friend, so just keep doing what you're doing and hopefully she'll start to get over it and her attitude will improve. Maybe give her some space if you can. If it gets bad enough that you feel it's warranted, you can gently talk to her about it.

Edit: Should finish reading the thread before I respond...since this was pretty much all already covered...and also forgot which thread I was in :rage:
Muahahahaha. I am forcing you to post in the 2021 thread.
tumblr_n6mctgGkli1tvkweco1_500.gif

I'll give you a like though. Hopefully that'll appease you.

So I'm basic af and I made a photo collage of all the photos of me being a baby vet/ working with animals/ first time in scrubs/ first day of work, etc with a post about how excited I am to be attending OkState CVM in the class of 2021.

(I heavily recommend this if you appreciate the likes/ are a like ***** like me. I got a lot of likes- I got like 222. It was magnificent.)

I hope I get to do this... waiting on my IS now :)

Reactions: 2 users
How early are you all planning on moving before orientation for vet school?

Two-three weeks I'm thinking. Plus would give some time to familiarize with whatever area I'll be in

Reactions: 3 users
I moved a month before. Presumably so I would have time to settle in, get my apartment all nice and set up, explore the area, etc. But...mostly I just lazed around.

I'm actually keeping my same apartment as this year. So I'm very fortunate! So our orientation starts on a Tuesday, and I'm probably only going to move back in the weekend before, since I won't have that much to do!

I'm actually keeping my same apartment as this year. So I'm very fortunate! So our orientation starts on a Tuesday, and I'm probably only going to move back in the weekend before, since I won't have that much to do!

Not having to move while my classmates are all looking for housing in other states is a great feeling.

Oh, man... moving in at the start of the year was such a chore. My lease had terms that wouldn't allow me to move in until the day before school started, so I ended up staying in a nearby hotel for the three days of orientation. Fun times.

Well, I ended up in a summer program so I'm now moving out there in May but my original plan was to aim for the beginning of August which would have given me about 3 weeks before orientation.

Oh, man... moving in at the start of the year was such a chore. My lease had terms that wouldn't allow me to move in until the day before school started, so I ended up staying in a nearby hotel for the three days of orientation. Fun times.

Oh gosh that sounds like a headache and a half!

I'm thinking of moving in about 2 weeks before orientation starts! I'm not sure if I want to haul all of my stuff out there or if should buy dressers, a bed & a desk once I get to Kansas.

I probably won't be able to officially move until about 2 weeks after school starts :scared:

My boyfriend and I will probably store our stuff and AirBnB, but I'm not sure what I'll be doing with my cat.

The apartment I was looking at doesn't start move in until the week after I need to start

I need to find other options but they're either expensive or no pets

Has anyone had any luck with getting their insurance to cover the rabies series or at least part of it? I was going to call mine tomorrow to ask, but my insurance is pretty crappy so I doubt they'll cover any of it...

Has anyone had any luck with getting their insurance to cover the rabies series or at least part of it? I was going to call mine tomorrow to ask, but my insurance is pretty crappy so I doubt they'll cover any of it...

See if you can get it when you're at the school? Might be cheaper at least....."cheaper"

I'm going to ask my doctor tomorrow. I'll let you know!

I asked him before I was accepted, and he said that if I provide proof that it is mandatory, it's possible. Of course, that depends on your insurance. I'm very fortunate that my doctor is willing to personally call my insurance company as many times as necessary to get them to cover things, but I'm still doubtful.

I had about $330 of the $915 I was quoted for the series covered by my insurance (Cigna). I didn't expect them to pay anything but decided to try just as a stretch and was pleasantly surprised. I do wonder if it was covered partly only because I went through the school.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm going to ask my doctor tomorrow. I'll let you know!

I asked him before I was accepted, and he said that if I provide proof that it is mandatory, it's possible. Of course, that depends on your insurance. I'm very fortunate that my doctor is willing to personally call my insurance company as many times as necessary to get them to cover things, but I'm still doubtful.

I unfortunately do not have a personal physician. Just got this new insurance and have yet to find a practice that will take it except for one doctor who isn't taking new patients... but definitely let me know what your doctor says!

My school's clinic is offering the series for $720 but idk if that's relatively cheap or not?

What happens if we got the rabies series in 2015?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I unfortunately do not have a personal physician. Just got this new insurance and have yet to find a practice that will take it except for one doctor who isn't taking new patients... but definitely let me know what your doctor says!

My school's clinic is offering the series for $720 but idk if that's relatively cheap or not?

My school's estimating $800-1,000 at their clinic if that helps at all.

I'd ask your school but they'll likely ask for proof the series was received + a check to make sure your titers are still good

@cheathac this is what my school asks for. It actually looks like they'll accept one or the other, as long as the series was received within the past couple of years.

I got my entire Rabies series covered in 2015 with the BCBS insurance I was on through my mom during the period when I was under 26. I needed it for an externship at OSU. I couldn't believe I didn't pay a dime for it but I didn't fight it. Worth checking into if you have BCBS. I did have to contact my local health department to set up the appointments since my healthcare provider didn't care them in their office.

Reactions: 2 users
Kind of a mixed bag. Mine was covered because the military gives away all that stuff for free. A couple of classmates were able to get it covered by sending in the letter stating that the school required it (since it is included in CDC recommendations for specific occupations). Also, if you get the student health insurance here and get the vaccines through them, it's only $25 a shot, so other schools might have a similar thing.

I got my entire Rabies series covered in 2015 with the BCBS insurance I was on through my mom during the period when I was under 26. I needed it for an externship at OSU. I couldn't believe I didn't pay a dime for it but I didn't fight it. Worth checking into if you have BCBS. I did have to contact my local health department to set up the appointments since my healthcare provider didn't care them in their office.

Oooh that's my insurance. Did they want paperwork or anything as proof it was required?

Oooh that's my insurance. Did they want paperwork or anything as proof it was required?

They did not. I had printed it thinking they would want the document from OSU stating it was required, but they didn't ask me to mail it in. I also stated to my insurance company and the health department that I worked in a veterinary practice and volunteered with our local shelter because they asked what type of exposure I could be at risk for. I don't know if I just got extremely lucky or it was deemed I was higher risk but it was definitely worth the long phone call in the end. I really hope you have a similar outcome!!

I didn't think my insurance would cover it because it was pretty crappy as well (through the Marketplace), but they ended up covering all of it! I didn't even have to call and explain that it's needed for vet school, it was a very pleasant surprise (would have been $825 total out of pocket). It was through Coventry if that helps.

And I moved here two weeks before school started, I initially wanted to move earlier but my apartment only had leases starting in August. I think two weeks was plenty of time to get settled and used to the town, any longer and I would have been miserable. I was getting lonely and bored before orientation started as it was.