Class of 2019...how ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
High fives to my fellow potential equine med students! :)

I'm so happy to be posting on this thread! I am interested in zoo med right now but also possibly equine, though I don't have that much experience in equine med to know yet if that's something I'll want to do!

Currently, I'm interested in equine with a potential specialty in lameness/sports medicine. Also pretty sure I want to get certified in acupuncture.

If I go into equine at all, it'll definitely be sports med/rehabilitation. Love! I shadowed an excellent lameness vet for a day and would have loved to follow her around more regularly if she wasn't well over an hour away!

Members don't see this ad.

Lameness is way too fun! It's like a giant puzzle all the time. Except half the time I'm staring at the horse like... now which leg is it lame on?

Reactions: 1 users
Lameness is way too fun! It's like a giant puzzle all the time. Except half the time I'm staring at the horse like... now which leg is it lame on?

Moved to the south and had never seen a lameness exam on a gaited horse. Huge learning curve for me since gaited horses look lame regardless.

Members don't see this ad :)
Moved to the south and had never seen a lameness exam on a gaited horse. Huge learning curve for me since gaited horses look lame regardless.

YES! I haven't gotten to see too many exams on gaited horses, even though there are a ton of them around. However, I have a feeling it's going to be a monster trying to figure one of them out.

Reactions: 1 user
They head nod when they are sound. I was like "uhhh it's lame on all 4 feet???" Needless to say, I bought a book to learn footfalls and more about them and not feel like an ass. Did I mention my husband is a farrier?

What book did you get? I'd love to check it out!

What book did you get? I'd love to check it out!

Easy Gaited Horses by Lee Ziegler. $14 on Amazon. Nothing fancy but it explained the gaits nicely and I could take it with me for reference. Principles of Horseshoeing by Doug Butler is my basic go-to farrier book.

I'm so happy to be posting on this thread! I am interested in zoo med right now but also possibly equine, though I don't have that much experience in equine med to know yet if that's something I'll want to do!
Are we the same person

Easy Gaited Horses by Lee Ziegler. $14 on Amazon. Nothing fancy but it explained the gaits nicely and I could take it with me for reference. Principles of Horseshoeing by Doug Butler is my basic go-to farrier book.

Sweet thanks! Because I definitely have time to do leisurely reading while finishing my Masters and completing two online courses :rolleyes:

Hello everyone I am interested in poultry, especially commercial production. I would love to work in industry rather then a private practice.

It appears the majority of people who have made decisions thus far have put in for UTK. Coincidence that this is the school that the moderator of this forum went to? I think not! Dyachei and her mind control abilities.... (Watch out Dubz!)

Because UTK is where it's at! So excited to meet you guys! :)

I've only ever seen one gaited horse in person, so this has literally never even crossed my mind. That sounds utterly terrifying. :confused: I'd be like "let's just x-ray everything :laugh: "

Thanks for the book recommendation now that you've put gaited lameness on my radar!

Members don't see this ad :)
Me with horse talk: :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Ha! Yaaaa, us horse people are a strange breed. I could talk horses, training, riding, etc for hours! I miss having horsie friends around here to talk horses with. The girls I grew up riding with are all living in different states now. I miss having a barn buddy. Maybe vet school will fix this problem! ;)

Tomorrow I get to see the vets lay a horse down to remove a sarcoid, scope a horse to investigate nasal drainage, and do a lameness workup. It's like the gold mine of shadowing! :love:

Reactions: 2 users
I guess I'm the only one tired of lameness exams...maybe 10-12 in one day for 2 years of shadowing has made me senile :shrug: Not to mention the 10-12 I've had on my personal horse alone....
I'm interested in equine therio :soexcited:

Therio is great too! And baby season is upon us!! :banana:

They head nod when they are sound. I was like "uhhh it's lame on all 4 feet???" Needless to say, I bought a book to learn footfalls and more about them and not feel like an ass. Did I mention my husband is a farrier?
I wouldn't generalize all gaited horses like that. But then again, I ride Peruvians so I am biased.

I wouldn't generalize all gaited horses like that. But then again, I ride Peruvians so I am biased.

Gaited horses are a far cry from the TBs and warmbloods I grew up riding. The first gaited horse I encountered was a Paso Fino, who was truly lame. Are Peruvians the same as Paso Finos? Wiki calls them Peruvian Pasos... educate me pls.

Peruvian pasos and Paso Finos are drastically different. Youtube the difference in their gaits...I personally am more partial to Peruvians...but I have a warmblood whom I adore :)

Peruvian pasos and Paso Finos are drastically different. Youtube the difference in their gaits...I personally am more partial to Peruvians...but I have a warmblood whom I adore :)

Not gonna lie, tonight is the first time I have ever heard of a Peruvian paso. Edit: Referenced my gaited horse book and there they are! I guess I never read up on them because we've never worked on them. I now have some weekend reading to do.

Last edited:
Not gonna lie, tonight is the first time I have ever heard of a Peruvian paso. Edit: Referenced my gaited horse book and there they are! I guess I never read up on them because we've never worked on them. I now have some weekend reading to do.

It's like comparing hunter warmbloods to western pleasure in the western world. Way different style of moving.
Then again I'm a huge horse nerd so I know a lot about different breeds or styles of riding..... #lame-o

It's like comparing hunter warmbloods to western pleasure in the western world. Way different style of moving.
Then again I'm a huge horse nerd so I know a lot about different breeds or styles of riding..... #lame-o

I totally get that. Even comparing USEF hunters to AQHA hunters are way different. Gaited is all relatively new for me.

Hello everyone, :D I'm so excited to post here as well. We're all going to be Vets XD!!! Congrats!!!

Crazy how many equine and zoo med interests we have here :)
Gotta admit they both sound awesome. Even though not having any experience whatsoever with horses it's something that interests me a lot, maybe their majesticity (is that a word :p)

Arghhh so many opportunities my head can't handle them all :)

Had orientation day at the campus today was fun meeting future classmates and can't wait to go back next thursday where we will be starting our animal handling husbandry course with alpacas :)

That's a first hahah, hope I don't get spat in the face, or is that just llamas? :confused:

I kinda wish getting accepted was a valid reason to quit my job and not to anything for the next 5 months....but money....

Reactions: 5 users
And you are my new favorite prevet :). Practically no one knows they are different.

To be completely fair, there are under 1000 total in the US, so it's not the most probable horse you will find while out and about with an equine vet lol. Maybe a tad more likely if you are from Cali or Texas, but still very unlikely

Me, too. I touched a horse, once, a few years ago. :nod:
It's entirely possible that I know more about zebras than I do about horses.
I'm over here like "Gait? What? Do different breeds walk different? Why the hell would they do that?"

Reactions: 5 users
It's entirely possible that I know more about zebras than I do about horses.
I'm over here like "Gait? What? Do different breeds walk different? Why the hell would they do that?"

They don't, horse people are just crazy..... ;)

(I don't really know though, but I like the explanation that horse people are simply crazy)

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Hey guys! I'm interested in small animals, but more specifically shelter medicine! I'm really big into rescue and work at an animal shelter :)

Hey guys! I'm interested in small animals, but more specifically shelter medicine! I'm really big into rescue and work at an animal shelter :)

Yaaay, same here!! Planning on small animal med & hoping for shelter med.

I love large animals and horses, but I'll leave those to people who grew up with them and are way more experienced in that area :D And I hate long drives, as much fun as shadowing a large animal vet was...

Yaaay, same here!! Planning on small animal med & hoping for shelter med.

I love large animals and horses, but I'll leave those to people who grew up with them and are way more experienced in that area :D And I hate long drives, as much fun as shadowing a large animal vet was...

Same here, my friend has a farm, and I think her cows are magnificent. I think horses are too, but they are not my forte. I'm sure I will enjoy the rotation, but its small animals all the way for me!! I haven't seen many people interested in shelter med, I am happy to see a fellow person interested in it!

Same here, my friend has a farm, and I think her cows are magnificent. I think horses are too, but they are not my forte. I'm sure I will enjoy the rotation, but its small animals all the way for me!! I haven't seen many people interested in shelter med, I am happy to see a fellow person interested in it!

Same here! Shelter medicine rocks! I shadowed a shelter vet, which is why I'm leaning towards it. Granted, it was a really nice shelter with a lot of donation coming in, so it was a lot of fun and money wasn't really an issue in treating animals - which was awesome. Probably not the case everywhere - but still excited about the prospects of shelter med. Have you read the blog, tails of a shelter vet? If not, google it, it's so fun to read! :)

Hello everyone I am interested in poultry, especially commercial production. I would love to work in industry rather then a private practice.

Hey new bestie

Reactions: 2 users
I've gotten accepted to two schools now...waiting to hear back from one, but I'm pretty sure I've already chosen the school I wanna go to.

I'm a horse girl , butttt during undergrad at Virginia Tech I definitely dove into the dairy industry and loved it! So, I'm probably going to go large animal mixed.

I current work at the VT teaching hospital as a surgical technician (and central sterile supply tech) for large and small animal soft tissue, neuro, and ortho procedures! Definitely a super cool full time job :)

I've gotten accepted to two schools now...waiting to hear back from one, but I'm pretty sure I've already chosen the school I wanna go to.

I'm a horse girl , butttt during undergrad at Virginia Tech I definitely dove into the dairy industry and loved it! So, I'm probably going to go large animal mixed.

I current work at the VT teaching hospital as a surgical technician (and central sterile supply tech) for large and small animal soft tissue, neuro, and ortho procedures! Definitely a super cool full time job :)

I definitely know who you are and my little, I believe, is one of your friends :p Glad to see you've been accepted... congrats from one Hokie to another!

And you are my new favorite prevet :). Practically no one knows they are different.

Too bad you aren't going to K-State and then we could have been classmates and school everyone with our knowledge of obscure horse breeds

I definitely know who you are and my little, I believe, is one of your friends :p Glad to see you've been accepted... congrats from one Hokie to another!

Oh my gosh :) yes definitely know you. Thanks a bunch! And as always....go hokies ;)

Before we get serious, broilers or layers?
On a daily basis I mostly interact with broilers and that's primarily where most of my focus has been. The company where I did my summer internships is an integrated company and they do everything from breeding all the way up to hatching and everything in between. So I've got to experience a lot of different aspects of the industry. I would have to go with broilers though.

I already have my MPH ...but thinking APHIS or government work would be cool. That or large animals all the way. LOVE dairy cows and really enjoyed my internship with a subsidiary of Smithfield a few years ago...

Either way....VET MED!!!

I already have my MPH ...but thinking APHIS or government work would be cool. That or large animals all the way. LOVE dairy cows and really enjoyed my internship with a subsidiary of Smithfield a few years ago...

Either way....VET MED!!!

Yay dairy cows! Not super interested in working for the government but APHIS would be cool!!

I just want to say as an owner of a grade-a-classic mutt gaited horse (no idea on his history) finding lameness isn't as bad as you think, especially if they do something stupid like tear a tendon :beat:

Edit: I don't condone the beating of said horse but it kind of describes how I feel when one of my horses tries to kill themselves lol

Jumping in way late on this conversation.....I have no idea what I want to do. I love SA and equine.....maybe mixed is the long term goal???? Who knows. I know several vet students that have completely changed their minds by like 3rd year, and other's who have stuck to their guns...but that's the great thing about veterinary school, we aren't limited in what we can and can't do. Other than people....working on people is a no-no