Class of 2019...how ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I forgot to update, but I was indeed offered the job and received the contract today. Now I'm having major commitment phobia. What if I move there, buy a house, and decide I don't like it or that we just aren't a good fit?

Ideally I'd like to buy a house where ever I end up, and it would suck to buy a house, only to move again in a short period of time. Renting isn't as much of an option for me since I have 3 dogs, 3 cats, and a 65g fish tank. And my dogs can be a bit noisy.
Try finding a realtor who also helps with rentals. We did that with our dogs and it was a lifesaver because they can help you find rentals that don't pop up on internet searches, just in the real estate listings.

And, to give you hope, one of my work friends had 3 large dogs (including a pit mix), 4 ferrets, and 2 rabbits and has still managed to find a places to rent in several different cities. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G892U using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Woo! Took my last necessary test of clinics. Now I get to just be and learn without paperwork irritating me.
sml_gallery_15587_3010_850.gif

Reactions: 7 users
Gurgle. Got the usual notice that I should look at my loans, so I did. This is the final amount, so I hadn't looked at it since this last semester amount was added. It just made my eyes water and my stomach turn.
sick.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
I love our people. I am needing to get things done to my kitten before taking off for an externship, but regular scheduling is full for the things I need. So they told me to just bring him in and they'll get it done. :biglove:

I will miss our faculty and clinicians when I'm done. I mean, I'll be chatting with them through email and text, but still. Good people. This is my last week here, so I guess that is making me sentimental. lol

I will miss our faculty and clinicians when I'm done. I mean, I'll be chatting with them through email and text, but still. Good people. This is my last week here, so I guess that is making me sentimental. lol
There are some I will miss, others that I certainly won't, like the one that is currently stressing me out over make up shifts because I had the flu. I missed 2 days of the rotation and was originally told that I would need to make up one day, then I got an email stating I needed to make up 2 days. When I emailed asking for clarification on the excused absence policy, I was then informed that I needed to make up a total of 3 shifts, which will likely take 3 days. So 1 day has turned into 3, and I have no idea how I'm supposed to make that happen. I ended up contacting a higher up, and now the clinician is refusing to speak with me at all.

There are some I will miss, others that I certainly won't, like the one that is currently stressing me out over make up shifts because I had the flu. I missed 2 days of the rotation and was originally told that I would need to make up one day, then I got an email stating I needed to make up 2 days. When I emailed asking for clarification on the excused absence policy, I was then informed that I needed to make up a total of 3 shifts, which will likely take 3 days. So 1 day has turned into 3, and I have no idea how I'm supposed to make that happen. I ended up contacting a higher up, and now the clinician is refusing to speak with me at all.
:lame:

Members don't see this ad :)
Feel like I disapeared for 3 years and came back and I'm almost done with school? What happened, where am I?

:heckyeah: Can't believe I'm finally "old enough" to be in job negotiations and to be starting my final vet school rotation next week... (8 weeks of surgery...Ugh.)

Reactions: 5 users
Feel like I disapeared for 3 years and came back and I'm almost done with school? What happened, where am I?

:heckyeah: Can't believe I'm finally "old enough" to be in job negotiations and to be starting my final vet school rotation next week... (8 weeks of surgery...Ugh.)
OMG HAI SWIN

I'm apparently a terrible human being. I just feel like I'm being accused of faking the flu (I guess I faked the snap test results from my doctor as well).
We have a clinician who's super hard on us about stuff like this. She instituted a rule that for every day missed, we make up 2 days. If we miss 3 days, we make up the whole 2 weeks. She doesn't care if someone in your immediate family died, if you lost a limb, etc.

I hope you get this figured out and it works out in your favor.

We have a clinician who's super hard on us about stuff like this. She instituted a rule that for every day missed, we make up 2 days. If we miss 3 days, we make up the whole 2 weeks. She doesn't care if someone in your immediate family died, if you lost a limb, etc.

Good grief. Not sure why this is a thing. People are weird.

That is assinine and shouldn’t be allowed. Thankfully we have some pretty awesome student advocates, and I only have to make up one day, which I will be doing tomorrow. I’m looking forward to having it over with.

Reactions: 2 users

...what the actual ****

Reactions: 3 users
Good grief. Not sure why this is a thing. People are weird.
She's very much against the idea that students have any sort of life/responsibility outside of school. Hell, she wanted to try to fail me for missing the first week of third year to finish out an extremely competitive externship and for missing a junior surgery lab for going to a conference (when classmates missed lab for lesser things). Luckily the actual junior surgery head (so not even the same clinician trying to fail me) agreed that a conference was more important than me monitoring anesthesia for 3 hours.

She's very much against the idea that students have any sort of life/responsibility outside of school. Hell, she wanted to try to fail me for missing the first week of third year to finish out an extremely competitive externship and for missing a junior surgery lab for going to a conference (when classmates missed lab for lesser things). Luckily the actual junior surgery head (so not even the same clinician trying to fail me) agreed that a conference was more important than me monitoring anesthesia for 3 hours.
I always wonder if someone was hard on them during some point in their life and they think this is the only way to establish "grit" so to speak.

That's ridiculous. Like, there's no way I would have been functional last September had I been on clinics. I would have had no problem making up every day I had missed, but there was no way I would have made up double the days of clinics after being gone for 2.5 weeks (including weekends).

That's ridiculous. Like, there's no way I would have been functional last September had I been on clinics. I would have had no problem making up every day I had missed, but there was no way I would have made up double the days of clinics after being gone for 2.5 weeks (including weekends).
You would just make up the entire block you missed during an off block or after clinics are said and done (which is crappy too...).

It really depends on if this particular clinician hears about it though (somehow she's got some authority in the game). When my dog dropped dead in the middle of the cardio room, ophtho gave me the next day off so I could pull my **** together and didn't make me use a personal day for it.

You would just make up the entire block you missed during an off block or after clinics are said and done (which is crappy too...)

That makes total sense to me. Like, fair is fair. But the concept of making up 2 days for every day you miss is a little insane.

I made up the missed day of my rotation today, so that is done and over with, and I've officially completed all of my competencies and had them accepted! :soexcited: So nice to know I don't have to worry about submitting those anymore.
Ours are currently a PITA due e-value being a well, PITA. I hate this crap.

I hope it feels a bit like sweet, sweet victory.

I popped a double middle fingers at the building on my last day. I get the feeling you enjoyed yourself more. Maybe an endearing pat in the doorway?

(Meh)
Unceremonious really. I walked out like always and used the dumpster for cleaning out my car. :)

Same!! And these next three are vacation. :heckyeah:
Nice! I'm kind of bummed I'm only going to have about a month off after graduation before my internship. Most of that time will be eaten up by my wedding unfortunately.

Are you guys all done on May 5th too?
Technically yes, but we have the following week for random activities such as our USDA accreditation talk. We officially graduate May 11th.

Hey everyone! Tomorrow is the day where we celebrate the #VetMedUnited movement! It is a day of remembrance of veterinarians and veterinary students we have lost to suicide and an opportunity to celebrate steps we can take, both together and individually, to better our well-being. You can participate by wearing Purple and/or Teal Tomorrow! Let's unite and raise awareness of the epidemic within our community! #VetMedUnited #NoMore!

• Love
I can say working 8-8 has made my feet hurt by the end of the day. BUT, I am enjoying myself immensely and am quite thrilled that in a couple weeks I get to be the one responsible again, be it good or bad. I hope I can keep up my client education skills from becoming boring. If I can turn at least one outta five to preventative medicine, I'll be over the moon. haha

Reactions: 1 users
Today is my last day at our large animal facility, EVER!!!! I really could not be any happier about that.

Your signature...looks like you saved the coolest rotation for last.... :love:

I feel bad for the students on with us right now. It's their last rotation too. And it's insane.