-----> ***CCOM Class of 2012*** <-----

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just got accepted a few days ago, yay! Anyone have tips on filling out the paperwork?

Also, orientation is Aug 4-8.

For those looking for places to live, I'd recommend living close to campus or close to a major highway. Traffic can be bad, especially in downtown DG because of the train tracks. I've lived about 15 mins south of Midwestern my entire life, so I know. If anyone is buying a condo, look for places near Metra train stations. For your rotations, being close to a train line will be convenient to get to the city (and much less stress) even if you have to drive to some hospitals. If anyone needs specific help, PM me, I can definitely give pointers as I also used to work in real estate/leasing.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

I have been accepted into Midwestern University and was wondering out of the ppl who have been accepted how many got into the The Pines, the on-campus apartments? And I would also like to know how nice are they and are they worth living in? I got a renovated room. I was planning on living on on-campus and they were my first choice, but if they aren't very nice should I live off-campus, or should I enjoy the fact that the commute among other things will easier living on campus. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Any word on when orientatiom materials will be sent out? I know they said that it would be available in May, but it seems like last years class got it around min-June?

See you guys this August ;)

I was wondering myself when we were going to get any other materials. All I know is when the orientation is and my email from fin. aid on my award letter. Has anybody else received any emails, is there an M1 listserv that I missed?

I was wondering myself when we were going to get any other materials. All I know is when the orientation is and my email from fin. aid on my award letter. Has anybody else received any emails, is there an M1 listserv that I missed?

I think what we have is all that is out there so far. I still haven't recieived my award letter, but thats because I just finished my finanical aid stuff about a week ago.

Hopefully more news to come soon:)

I think what we have is all that is out there so far. I still haven't recieived my award letter, but thats because I just finished my finanical aid stuff about a week ago.

Hopefully more news to come soon:)

Make sure you take a deep breath and sit down before you open your award letter ;) Even though I knew the tuition and budget beforehand, it still was a shocker.

Make sure you take a deep breath and sit down before you open your award letter ;) Even though I knew the tuition and budget beforehand, it still was a shocker.

i totally feel you on that, two of my friends and I calculated our total debt after school will be over....lets just say that we are going to owe our dear sallie mae about a cool million. :eek:

Hello Everyone and Congrats on your acceptance. CCOM is a great/INTENSE program.
I am a second year and have several books (the relevant ones) for sell if anyone is interested.
The list includes:

Grant's Disector ( required and a must for anatomy)
Rohen's Atlas (great for studying anatomy at home)

Biochemistry required text

Mosby's Guide to Physical Examination (required and the tests are directly from this book)

Neuroanatomy text and atlas

PM me if you are interested and also if you have any more questions.

Good Luck and I will see you all at orientation as I am one of the student leaders.

Does anyone have any idea why Downers Grove MS2s start with us on August 11 and why the Glendale starts after Labor Day? I think MS2 used to start later, but they bumped it up. I was just curious.

I sure hope everyone is planning on ENJOYING their summer! :)

We (Class 0f 2011) were the pilot class for the new CCOM 'decompressed' schedule. So we started early both years.

Hello Everyone and Congrats on your acceptance. CCOM is a great/INTENSE program.
I am a second year and have several books (the relevant ones) for sell if anyone is interested.
The list includes:

Grant's Disector ( required and a must for anatomy)
Rohen's Atlas (great for studying anatomy at home)

Biochemistry required text

Mosby's Guide to Physical Examination (required and the tests are directly from this book)

Neuroanatomy text and atlas

PM me if you are interested and also if you have any more questions.

Good Luck and I will see you all at orientation as I am one of the student leaders.

hey, I was looking into Mosby's, and there are several options online including downloadable videos. Do you have a recommendation for which is the best version.

hey, I was looking into Mosby's, and there are several options online including downloadable videos. Do you have a recommendation for which is the best version.

They pretty much make you buy the actual full text book and Require you to bring it to Clinical Medicine Lab.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,
I'm a second year at CCOM and looking to find some medical students to take over our rent this summer (probably sometime in August). My fiance and I live in a 2BR/1Bath house about 10 mins from campus and a few blocks from the train station that we love, but will be giving up for finer city living once I start my rotations. We wanted to post on here b/c we love our landlords and want to find them good tenants when we leave :) If anyone is interested, please send me a direct message and I can give you more information.

Also, if you have any other questions, I'd be happy to try and answer them. Thanks!

Hello,
I have gotten into the pines and would really prefer to stay on campus the 1st year. The question I have is if the neighborhood is safe (I read somewhere on these forums that it was not ' nice') and if they are not furnished, is it easy to do so once there? I am coming from out of state and don't really want to bring furniture all the way from VA.....Also how far are these from the lib + the rec center ?
Thanks

Hello first years. Big welcome to CCOM. My name Is Tom Brozek and I will be a MS2. I am looking to sell my textbooks that I purchased during my first year at CCOM. Email me at [email protected] if you are interested. You can pay me and pick up the books from me during the first week of classes.
I am selling
ANATOMY: Text by Moore and Daley, Atlas by Rohen, and Dissector by Grant (3 books you want for fall and winter quarters)
HISTOLOGY: Text by Ross and Paulina, an d atlas by Wheater (2 books you want for fall quarter)
PHYSIOLOGY: Text by Berne and Levy (1 book that you want for winter and spring quarters)
PSYCHIATRY: Text by Wedding (1 book you want for fall and spring quarters)
NEUROSCIENCE: Atlas by Nolte (1 book you want for the spring quarter)
That’s it! Like I said, 1st come 1st serve. Email me for prices!

Does anyone know when we're supposed to get any stuff for orientation and all that? It looks like the class of 2011 had a meet and greet last spring for their entering class sponsored by the school, and also got a lot of info way before this time last year. As far as I know, we have yet to receive anything from the school (other than our acceptance letters of course and any info that is on online.midwestern.edu)

I called admissions last week and they said they'd be sending out orientation packets soon. I don't know what kind of time frame soon is but I took it to mean within the next week.

Hey all,

I have been accepted into Midwestern University and was wondering out of the ppl who have been accepted how many got into the The Pines, the on-campus apartments? And I would also like to know how nice are they and are they worth living in? I got a renovated room. I was planning on living on on-campus and they were my first choice, but if they aren't very nice should I live off-campus, or should I enjoy the fact that the commute among other things will easier living on campus. Thanks

Hello,
It seems they are about 500 sq ft, no word on if the units are air conditioned or not, they are supposed to be old, but I suppose the free cable + internet should be a plus + living walking distance to the library (almost a necessity for me) is definitely great, I would love to know if they have normal sized fridges and microwaves there - anyone feel free to answer please? It seems it is not a bad idea to go with the Pines the first year until you get a good look around.... I lived in Hyde Park for 5 yrs but it seems living on campus at CCOM is not such a bad idea as it is located in the middle of deathly boring suburbia so it wouldn't matter -- until rotations take you to live in the city......

Cheers and see you in August.

I was not aware that they would give us free cable and internet, where did you find this information out? All of your other points I agree with, I think it does make sense b/c its closer and you do have to pay a lil bit more, but if you can get them, then it allows you feel out the area before you go out on your own. I'm almost positive they have AC, but I don't know about the microwaves, the sheet I received with my housing contract said in on-campus housing microwave ovens are not allowed, I don't know if that was only for the dorm rooms, it very well may be that way.

It will be nice to meet all of you. I think living on campus is a good move. I noticed that the students on campus used our library quite a bit.

I don't know if I did this as a reply or not but it is less of a reply.

I have a full set of 1st year books for sale minus a few. Some marking but i bought them all new so they are all pretty good. You can message me here if you are interested; i can give a good deal. Best if we can meet in person, i would rather not send them. I am in town for the summer.

thanks

I was not aware that they would give us free cable and internet, where did you find this information out? All of your other points I agree with, I think it does make sense b/c its closer and you do have to pay a lil bit more, but if you can get them, then it allows you feel out the area before you go out on your own. I'm almost positive they have AC, but I don't know about the microwaves, the sheet I received with my housing contract said in on-campus housing microwave ovens are not allowed, I don't know if that was only for the dorm rooms, it very well may be that way.

A student living at the Pines last year had replied to a post about the internet + cable being free, except I hear service is lousy on campus? I assume the bit about the microwaves applies only to the dorms......Regarding those ever-elusive and ill-named 'orientation' packets, they are supposed to be mailed out this Wed, June 25th according to the admissions office. And if anyone has found a rich oil tycoon to foot the med school bill, do let me know.

Hi guys! I recently got accepted to the program and am excited to meet you all!! For the housing situations...all the people I have talked to say don't live on campus its not worth the money...the apartments are horrible and expensive, if you are going to dorm then dorm in the Redwoods. That leads me to the next point...is anyone looking for a roommate still? I want to live close by off campus since it is probably cheaper...a friend of mine lives in the Yorktown apartments(right across the highway) and the place is nice. He would also give us a cut of the referral money he gets..:)...can anyone help? Thanks!

Hi guys,
I just got my orientation packet via my midwestern email account so maybe try looking there if you were instead expecting it via regular mail. I can't wait to meet everyone:) I'm moving into my apartment July 25th-ish...is anyone planning on meeting up for drinks or anything before orientation begins??!! I guess I should really join facebook huh :p

-Jen

I haven't received mine! Has anyone else not received theirs? Has anybody talked to the admissions office about this yet?

Want to live across the street from campus??? We are renting our beutiful townhouse right across the street in "Oak Brook Colony". 3 bedroom 2 bath and 1 1/2 bath. The basement could be used as bedroom and has a furnished bar!!! There is also a loft space- so we are looking for 3 or 4 students! Great price!!!

Hey guys,
I just got a phone call from Midwestern. I just got in!!!

A student living at the Pines last year had replied to a post about the internet + cable being free, except I hear service is lousy on campus? I assume the bit about the microwaves applies only to the dorms......Regarding those ever-elusive and ill-named 'orientation' packets, they are supposed to be mailed out this Wed, June 25th according to the admissions office. And if anyone has found a rich oil tycoon to foot the med school bill, do let me know.

Hey I'm a 2nd year- I lived in the dorms (Redwood) last year and will be living in the Pines next year. Internet and cable is free- the internet was slow last year, but they have gotten a new server and it is now MUCH faster. About the microwaves, a lot of people in the dorms had microwaves anyway, and it wasn't a big deal. In the pines, I'm sure that they are actually allowed. About the pines being old, there are actually 2 options: regular pines and renovated. I believe the traditional pines are hardwood floors, and I know for sure that the renovated ones have carpet and stuff- I'm gonna be living in the renovated next year, and it was actually really nice. So, the quality you get depends on whether you go for regular or renovated-- renovated does cost a little bit more. Hope that helps, feel free to PM me or whatever if you have any more q's!!

The block schedule is up at the intranet site for those who are anxious to know our schedule.

hey guys, i got a phone call earlier today from the admissions office to tell me i've been accepted from their waitlist!! i'm so excited to be going to this school in the fall!

now i have to find me an apartment and take care of all the paperwork within the next few weeks. where is everyone living? any suggestions of some nice apartments in the area?

Hello,
The summer and fall schedules have been posted on the MWU intranet site, but so far no word on where I could possibly get a book-list for the 1st year (i.e., a book-list that I'll actually use, not the unending list of what is required), I would like to purchase them somewhere other than the Univ. bookstore and save myself some $$ as the attendance costs and the debt that will be looming over my head are giving me palpitations... :)) And anyone know why the move-in dates into the Pines are NOT sooner than two days before orientation. Do they really expect us to set up house in less than 2 days?

If you have any info on this, please do share, and may I add that I am looking forward to meeting all of you.

Cheers,

Hey guys, i got off the waitlist a few days ago too! So excited. I live like half an hour away but am not looking forward to the drive when we have 7:30am exams. So im thinkin of finding the least expensive way to find a room by the school. Others schools have a link to find roommates and such, seems like mwu doesnt. I figure id give it some time since no need to move right away. but whats the best way to find roomates who are mwu students? I think a 3 bed would be ideal, i only plan to sleep like 3 days a week there. any ideas?:rolleyes:

has anybody come across a list of required/recommended books? i fine the midwestern site difficult to navigate and find anything useful, but that might just be me... :oops: i'm planning on buying my books online also, which means i need that list asap.

along those lines, anyone recommend a histology atlas in particular?

also, i got a letter from midwestern about a pair of scrubs, so looks like our class is getting them too!:cool:

Hey guys, i got off the waitlist a few days ago too! So excited. I live like half an hour away but am not looking forward to the drive when we have 7:30am exams. So im thinkin of finding the least expensive way to find a room by the school. Others schools have a link to find roommates and such, seems like mwu doesnt. I figure id give it some time since no need to move right away. but whats the best way to find roomates who are mwu students? I think a 3 bed would be ideal, i only plan to sleep like 3 days a week there. any ideas?:rolleyes:

There are bulletin boards at the commons and in many lounges for roomates. Also, I live in New Lenox and drive everyday.....Getting there by 7:30 test time is pretty doable. Traffic is not too bad before 7 on 355. I usually drive in early test or not and study in a lounge somewhere until class starts.
Marcia

has anybody come across a list of required/recommended books? i fine the midwestern site difficult to navigate and find anything useful, but that might just be me... :oops: i'm planning on buying my books online also, which means i need that list asap.

along those lines, anyone recommend a histology atlas in particular?

also, i got a letter from midwestern about a pair of scrubs, so looks like our class is getting them too!:cool:

You need a good histology atlas, I have Ross, but you can look at them in the library too. Netters atlas and Grants disector for Anatomy, and Mosby's guide for Physical Examination for your ICM. The pocket one is not really okay, the exams come from the big book and is required at all labs. As for Netter, some prefer other atlases. Look at a few and see what you like. Do you like real bodies or drawings? Netter is drawings and Rohen is real bodies (although your cadaver will look nothing like his pictures either) really it is just preference. As for your other classes, and text books for Anatomy and Histo.......Just use the lecture notes that they will sell you at the beginning of school. You will be tested from lectures and notes, that are very dense. You really will not need a text. Good Luck!

Marcia

There are bulletin boards at the commons and in many lounges for roomates. Also, I live in New Lenox and drive everyday.....Getting there by 7:30 test time is pretty doable. Traffic is not too bad before 7 on 355. I usually drive in early test or not and study in a lounge somewhere until class starts.
Marcia

Your probably right... just dealing with the drive will probably save me a lot of money. Thanks for the info!

im leaving for chi town in an hour.......14 hr trip from the dirty jerz..ugg
but other than that....woooooooooooooooooo:D

hi Marcia,
thanks for the info, it definitely helped me a lot. I actually just finished an anatomy course, and we primarily used Netter although I referred to Rohen and I think even Clemente occasionally since they used photos. Do the instructors at CCOM use one book more than another? and did you use Netter or Rohen? again, thanks for your advice!

Im trying to set up an appointment for the fingerprinting. But the instructions link i got in the email doesnt work. I called the school and they didnt really know anything either. I went to the ibt website, but when it asks for reason for fingerprinting midwestern doesnt show up int he pull down window. Does anyone know how to work this or send me a functional link to the instructions page?? thanks!

there are instructions on one of the docs that dr. dombrowski sent. I want to say its in the same document as the orientation schedule, you have to scroll down and there are detailed instructions on how to sign up for a fingerprinting appt. For Midwestern, the category is something like public schools, although I'm not sure if that's the exact name. Hope this helps.

hi Marcia,
thanks for the info, it definitely helped me a lot. I actually just finished an anatomy course, and we primarily used Netter although I referred to Rohen and I think even Clemente occasionally since they used photos. Do the instructors at CCOM use one book more than another? and did you use Netter or Rohen? again, thanks for your advice!
In lecture they use Netter slides and a lot of drawings. But really it is preference. I used Netter to find structures, so I would know where they are supposed to be...then before practicals I would use Rohen. But really going to lab is the absolute best before practicals.
Marcia

Hey guys...sorry for the late notification, but we've mostly been discussing this on the facebook group. A bunch of us incoming first years are meeting at Rock Bottom today (Weds 7/30) at 5pm for drinks etc. if anybody's interested. It's the one right near campus off of Highland Ave, north of Butterfield, near the Yorktown Shopping Center. Hope to see some of you there!

Ok, so I am fairly new to facebook and I can't figure out how to join/post on the ccom facebook page... any helpful hints???

nevermind

Last edited:
Hello, class of 2012!

I am another 2nd year looking to sell a couple of my books for cheaper than online:

1) Rohen's Color Atlas of Anatomy, 6th ed. (VERY helpful for anatomy practicals!)

2) Grant's Dissector, 13th ed. (also helpful to prepare for each anatomy lab)

Please email me at [email protected] if you are interested in either of them.

Best wishes as you get into the school year!