-----> ***CCOM Class of 2012*** <-----

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey everyone! I just found out that I was accepted at CCOM!! I am ECSTATIC as this is my absolute number one choice!! I just wanted to say congratulations to everyone else on their acceptances and I am looking forward to meeting you all soon!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone! I just found out that I was accepted at CCOM!! I am ECSTATIC as this is my absolute number one choice!! I just wanted to say congratulations to everyone else on their acceptances and I am looking forward to meeting you all soon!! :)

Congrats! I too was recently accepted and will also definitely be matriculating :D. I'm coming from Boston so I'm trying to figure out details in terms of securing an apartment. I'm thinking I'll probably have to go out there in the next few months to look for places.

For those of you who are definitely matriculating, have any of you decided/thought about when you're moving to the area?

I just noticed that CCOM requires students to do 12weeks of Family practice during 3rd year and 4 weeks of OMM during 4th. I am not really interested in FP or OMM. Also do students have enough time to do their auditions during 4th year to have everything submitted in time for the match?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! I too was recently accepted and will also definitely be matriculating :D. I'm coming from Boston so I'm trying to figure out details in terms of securing an apartment. I'm thinking I'll probably have to go out there in the next few months to look for places.

For those of you who are definitely matriculating, have any of you decided/thought about when you're moving to the area?

As I said in another CCOM thread I'm looking into the Oak Park area. I'm moving from Colorado so I've got little to no idea what I'm doing. Any CCOM'ers recommend other areas to find an apartment in? I'm looking for some proximity to the city with a not horrible commute time. Move-in date in the middle of July.

:)....can't wait to meet all of you!! I am soooo excited to be an official member of the CCOM family

Hey guys, I got my acceptance on Monday and I am soooooo excited. I have lived in the city (downtown Chicago) for a ~3 years and I can't wait to start. We have to sell our condo and move to the suburbs which sucks but oh well, I think it will be worth it!

If any people moving from out of town have questions for me feel free to ask! I still am not sure exactly where we are going to live but I am thinking probably Oakbrook/Downers Grove area. Just keep in mind that traffic in the whole Chicagoland area does suck and when there is bad weather (which can happen quite often some winters) traffic can be horrendous (think a 45 minute drive being up to 3 or more hours if a storm hits during rush hour) so you don't want to push it and live too far away. The way I look at it traffic/driving lots is just one stress-or I can prevent by living nearby so why not.

I am wondering if anyone knows how seriously the first year white coat ceremony is taken??? I have looked around online and apparently they have a "unifying" white coat ceremony for all of the programs in September of the first year and then we will have our Doctor white coat ceremony after our 2nd year so I am wondering if any students can tell me anything??? Should I tell my parents to come out for the white coat ceremony in the first year or is it not a big deal?

Is anyone thinking they're going to live on campus?

hey guys, does CCOM accept credit card as tuition payment? I got this special of 2.99% on my CC right now w/out balance transfer fees and it is much lower than any loan I can get. I will be able to make monthly payments once I borrow.

CCOM was my first choice but I did not get in. They sent me an email to transfer my application to their biomedical sciences program. There was no charge, so I did. I just received the acceptance letter for this program. I am excited because this is my first acceptance.

I retook the mcat in January and received my scores last week. Because I just got my new scores, I have not heard back from any other DO schools yet about interviews. I really want to go to Chicago, but I have to submit my deposit of $750 by March 14th for the MBS program. If I cancel my acceptance after I submit my deposit, I can only get $100 back.

I was just wondering if anyone is familiar with this program. I am hoping that it will help increase my chances to get into CCOM in 2 years. There is another program similar to this at TCOM in Ft.Worth, TX (this is about an hour from my home). The only thing is the committee doesn't meet for that until April. I don't want to decline my acceptance at Midwestern and then not get in elsewhere. Any advice? If you know anyone who has gone through the MBS program and is now in med school please let me know. Thanks!

Hey future CCOMers. I'm graduated from Midwestern this May and have a condo to (preferably) sell, but might consider renting. It’s about 15 min south of campus in Dairen. Quiet complex, close to lots of good studying spots (public library, Starbucks, Panera). Google Brookdale Dr, Darien, IL to check out the area for yourself. PM me if interested or have any questions.

Does anyone know the chances of a first year getting into the Pines apartments or really any on-campus housing other than the dorms? Is it likely, or because of being a first year, very unlikely? I am assuming that they dish out housing based upon year in school.

any way we can get a textbook list for next year? I am excited to buy some of my first books and start reading something!

I am wondering if anyone knows how seriously the first year white coat ceremony is taken??? I have looked around online and apparently they have a "unifying" white coat ceremony for all of the programs in September of the first year and then we will have our Doctor white coat ceremony after our 2nd year so I am wondering if any students can tell me anything??? Should I tell my parents to come out for the white coat ceremony in the first year or is it not a big deal?

White coat ceremony was a pretty big deal to a lot of people, I think. Most students did had parents fly in from other states. Yet, it obviously comes down to where your parents are coming from (Indiana? vs India?). They do have several speakers talking about the significance of the "white coat" and then they call each student upon individually and "coat" them. Everyone takes fun pictures and then most go out to a nice dinner afterwards.

I don't know anything about the doctor white coat ceremony since I"m only an MS-1, but to my knowledge, I'm pretty sure that happens AFTER MS-4 (for graduation) since that's when you become a doctor. Also, I've seen MS3's and ms4's around still wearing the short coat. I could be wrong though.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys, does CCOM accept credit card as tuition payment? I got this special of 2.99% on my CC right now w/out balance transfer fees and it is much lower than any loan I can get. I will be able to make monthly payments once I borrow.

I don't think they do, but you can call to make sure. I could be misunderstanding... but I don't think it'd be a very good idea. However, IF they do allow this, it seems that you would be borrowing money from the credit card company (w/ interest accumulating) IN ADDITION to paying interest for the money you're loaning in order to make the monthly payments. Some other things to consider is:
1.I think educational loans can usually be deferred even after residency if you need. I would guess that the credit card payments would not be.
2. There is a certain ammount of subsidized loans that does not accum interest while in school, which credit card companies don't have.
3.Tuition/fees/books would be around 40-45k/year. That's only 1 year. Would your credit card have that high of of a limit?

Just some things to consider.

Try Mosby's Physical Examination. You can probably get a list from the dean's office, but a lot of the stuff probably wont' make too much sense right now. Relax and enjoy your free time!

I don't think they do, but you can call to make sure. I could be misunderstanding... but I don't think it'd be a very good idea. However, IF they do allow this, it seems that you would be borrowing money from the credit card company (w/ interest accumulating) IN ADDITION to paying interest for the money you're loaning in order to make the monthly payments. Some other things to consider is:
1.I think educational loans can usually be deferred even after residency if you need. I would guess that the credit card payments would not be.
2. There is a certain ammount of subsidized loans that does not accum interest while in school, which credit card companies don't have.
3.Tuition/fees/books would be around 40-45k/year. That's only 1 year. Would your credit card have that high of of a limit?

Just some things to consider.

I am talking about the unsubsidized portion. Any kind of loan will accumulate interest once the school cashes the check.

Are most of you planning on living with a roomate or on your own?

^^^

I was curious on this as well. I thought about even living on campus, have not decided yet.

Hey guys,
I'm a second year at CCOM and looking to find some medical students to take over our rent this summer (probably sometime in August). My fiance and I live in a 2BR/1Bath house about 10 mins from campus and a few blocks from the train station that we love, but will be giving up for finer city living once I start my rotations. We wanted to post on here b/c we love our landlords and want to find them good tenants when we leave :) If anyone is interested, please send me a direct message and I can give you more information.

Also, if you have any other questions, I'd be happy to try and answer them. Thanks!

Hey guys,
I'm a second year at CCOM and looking to find some medical students to take over our rent this summer (probably sometime in August). My fiance and I live in a 2BR/1Bath house about 10 mins from campus and a few blocks from the train station that we love, but will be giving up for finer city living once I start my rotations. We wanted to post on here b/c we love our landlords and want to find them good tenants when we leave :) If anyone is interested, please send me a direct message and I can give you more information.

Also, if you have any other questions, I'd be happy to try and answer them. Thanks!

Hey, I am an MS1 so my husband and I will be moving out to the burbs this summer. Unfortunately we are looking to buy but I thought I would let you know we are selling our 1bed/1bath condo in Printer's Row if you guys are looking to buy in the city (or anyone else you know). I am pasting the link to the craigslist post below:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/rfs/608903512.html

any way we can get a textbook list for next year? I am excited to buy some of my first books and start reading something!

I highly recommend not reading anything, and chilling out all summer.

For those looking for off campus apartments:

One of the CLOSEST apartments to campus is Yorktown II. I have lived in yorktown my first year and will be there agian my 2nd year (next year). It's about a 5-8 min drive from campus (depending on lights). Honestly, you can't really get much closer unless u buy one of those houses across the street or live on campus. There are a good ammount of students (med/pharm/PA) in the building and it's essentially in the same parking lot as the yorktown mall.

I'm posting this b/c most apartments in the area have referral incentive programs. If you visit yorktown and sign a lease and put down a referral from a current resident, the resident gets 400$ off rent. So that everyone benefits, if anyone is interested in using me as a referral for yorktown, I'd be willing to split the incentive and give you 200$. Some nice features I've enjoyed at yorktown as a student: 24 hr "clubhouse" (which i use as a study room), free coffee/tea, free copying/printing/faxing/computer/internet, 24 hr workout

PM me if you want more info.

Hi, I am an MSII and I live 2 miles from campus at Versailles apartments. I am moving in mid May and need to sublease my apartment. My rent is about 950, and I will give you $600 if you rent it for June, July and August (thus, your rent will be 750). You could then sign a lease and live there the rest of the year. It is a really nice single bedroom apartment on the 2nd floor with a small "deck" and very safe area. The downside is that I have to finalize the deal by next Thursday (April 3). Please let me know if you are interested.

www.versaillesatoakbrook.com

I highly recommend not reading anything, and chilling out all summer.

Exactly-
I seem to remember BuckeyeOH posting on this same topic before I entered medical school.... He said something along the lines of "Studying before medical school is a waste of time... anything you learn before you start will be covered in the first 2 days"

You will be surprised how much you can cover once 20+ credit hours are bearing down on you all at once... and it is a lot more that you can do on your own. Seriously, just relax

Hi! I've been accepted and now I'm looking for a roommate/a place to live. I want to live off campus and definitely want to live with one other person. If you're also looking for a rommate, let me know and we can search together!

Hey CCOM 2012-I am almost a third year at CCOM and my roommates and I are moving out of our condo. It is literally ACROSS the street from campus in Downers Grove. It is a 3bdrm, 2.5 bath, 2 fireplaces, 2 car garage-the place is huge and the master has a massive walk in closet. It is a very quite neighborhood-mostly elderly people...the best part is you can walk to campus! We pay $675/person (there are 3 of us) and cable is included. Please email me if you are interested: [email protected]

I'm looking for a roommate--any guys (or girls open to living with a guy) interested in looking together??!?!

Kind of in the vein of stmclovin's earlier post:

I don't know how crazy I am about the 4 week rotation in OMM or the 12 week FM rotation. Can any current students shed some light on OMM class, in general? It seems like most osteo students either love or hate their OMT class. Anybody know why? I'm wanting to believe that I'm really going to like it, but I don't want to set myself up for disappointment.

I'm quite interested in surgery (though I know this could change a million times over by the end of year 1--I could eat my fp-hatin words). Any body have any advice/wisdom on how to go about prepping for a match into g. surgery (allo or osteo)? Better yet, how osteopathy fits into the practice of surgery (and a critique of CCOM's surg dept)? The reason I ask is b/c it seems that med school can be a completely different experience depending on what area of practice you're trying to get into (board scores, research, etc).

Kind of in the vein of stmclovin's earlier post:

I don't know how crazy I am about the 4 week rotation in OMM or the 12 week FM rotation. Can any current students shed some light on OMM class, in general? It seems like most osteo students either love or hate their OMT class. Anybody know why? I'm wanting to believe that I'm really going to like it, but I don't want to set myself up for disappointment.

I'm quite interested in surgery (though I know this could change a million times over by the end of year 1--I could eat my fp-hatin words). Any body have any advice/wisdom on how to go about prepping for a match into g. surgery (allo or osteo)? Better yet, how osteopathy fits into the practice of surgery (and a critique of CCOM's surg dept)? The reason I ask is b/c it seems that med school can be a completely different experience depending on what area of practice you're trying to get into (board scores, research, etc).

I am a 4th year at CCOM that matched into general surgery and the 1 month of OMM and 12 weeks of family med really aren't that bad. The nice part of the OMM month is depending on when you take the PE exam, it gives you a nice refresher for the test if you are working in an office (the doc I followed did a lot of family med and not as much OMM). This definately helped, especially when I was coming off of 2 surgery rotations in a row.

Hey, I'm a current MS-1, and I've lived in the dorms my first year, so if you have any questions about living on campus, feel free to PM me.

On another note, if you're looking to live off campus... I have recently checked out a bunch of apartments and decided on the complex called International Village in Lombard (~3 miles from campus). They're really nice apartments, great amenities, and inexpensive (2bed, 2bath for 1205). Anyway, I'm advertising where I'm living because if you say I referred you when you sign a lease there, I get $400, and I'd share half of it w/ you!!!

Hey, I'm a current MS-1, and I've lived in the dorms my first year, so if you have any questions about living on campus, feel free to PM me.

On another note, if you're looking to live off campus... I have recently checked out a bunch of apartments and decided on the complex called International Village in Lombard (~3 miles from campus). They're really nice apartments, great amenities, and inexpensive (2bed, 2bath for 1205). Anyway, I'm advertising where I'm living because if you say I referred you when you sign a lease there, I get $400, and I'd share half of it w/ you!!!

Are there any grocery or convenience stores close to campus?

did anyone else just get their financial aid "award" letter in the past few days? i knew in my head roughly how much i was going to have to borrow, but seeing it there on the screen makes it a little more painful. with these kinds of loans, i don't know how anyone can afford to go into primary care! anyone have any reassuring thoughts? or at the very least, if anyone feels like commiserating, misery loves company :(

Congrats to those of you who have been accepted!

Those of you thinking about starting to look at text books, don't do it. Not only should you be enjoying yourselves, but I made the mistake of buying a lot of books I didn't use my first year (willing to sell for cheap if you still want a book). if you're that bored, just review some Anatomy... for about 10 minutes and then go play in the sun!

Any Qs about CCOM, off-campus living, or what it's like to live in suberbia, PM me.

~CCOM 2011

where do you guys live? I have seen Yorktown and City View Highlands apartments. Both are expensive, but offer nice amenities. Any feedback on those two apartments?

I was also looking for apartments in the area, primairly City view and Brook Hill in westmont (right off midwest rd). I was wondering if you guys knew anything about both of those. I toured the Brook Hill apartments and they were really nice but the guy giving me a tour was a prick and I was curious if most of the staff was like that. Also I'm looking to get a 2 bedroom apartment and may need a roomate.

so, who thinking about doing some research @ CCOM?
And, if so, how do you go about doing this?

There is a lot of information on this webpage if you look under the "Links" section:

ccomresearch.googlepages.com

Hey, guys if you are looking for an apartment let me know. I can split my refferal bonus with you if you sign the lease ($250 split into $125 for each of us). The apartment I am at right now is City View at higlands (here: http://www.forrent.com/apartment-community-profile/999908367.php). These guys have other specials for Midwestern students (no security depasit, $25 off rent each month)

Also, I can get an additional $100 off if you are approved for the lease. Please, let me know.

Congratulations to all on your acceptance to CCOM. I am finishing residency in June and will be moving out of state after graduation. My husband and I are looking to rent/sell our condo. It is a 2BR, 1 bath condo, first floor with nice sized balcony. It is part of a small condo complex, well maintained, with a nice swimming pool.

We are currently living in La Grange, a small village in the southwest suburbs. It is a 20-25 minute commute to CCOM--rush hour is not a huge deal since you can reach ccom without going on the expressway. There is a very nice downtown area with tons of restaurants, coffee shops, Borders, Metra access, great schools. We are 15 minutes from downtown Chicago (a bit longer during rush hour) and are close to 55 and 294. I've lived in the same condo throughout med school and residency. The location is ideal as it is close to school, as well as several highways (which becomes important during years 3-4 as you rotate throughout the city).

If interested or if you have any questions, let me know.

Hey guys, I'm a current MSI living in the Versailles on the Lake apts in Oakbrook Terrace (less than a 5 min drive from campus). If any of you are thinking of living here and you let me "refer" you before you take a tour of the place, I may get a nice little bonus that I would be willing to split in half (it will probably be abt 250$ for the both of us). Prices are not bad for the area, esp if you sign early. Let me know if you are interested!

hey guys, I tried to join Facebook CCOM 2012 group, but it says that the group is restricted. I entered my e-mail in the profile as [email protected]. any idea why I cant join? I tried to message the admin, but it gives an error, I tried this from like 2 different computers.

So I understand that I have to add myself to Midwestern Network before being added to CCOM 2012. I am new to FB stuff.

Congrats to all the new MS-1's! I am a MS2 at CCOM and just wanted to see if anyone was interested in buying some of my old textbooks. If so, PM me.

Enjoy your summer! DO NOT STUDY or do anything related to school....enjoy it!!!!! :)

I will be MS1 this fall and looking for a female roommate. Please e-mail ([email protected]) me if you are interested in looking for an apartment together in the downers grove area or west loop area.

If you friend the administrator you he can invite you to join. I don't know why after joining the network you can't join the group. Friending the group creator works though.

Anyone know when we get info about orientation and all that fun stuff? PS. I also heard that last years class got free scrubs sent to them, I wouldn't mind me some of those:thumbup: