CCOM Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
lilymoo said:
OUch! I think last year it was 38K.

gotta love that instate tuition, last years was 32, i don't know what it is this year

Members don't see this ad.

laboholic said:
I got my financial aid letter today. It says tuition is 40,500! Jeeze, I thought it was more like 38K. Whats up with that?

They raised it 2652$ for out of staters and I think 5k for instaters.

Im pretty excited that it exceeds my stafford loan amount.

I certainly made a poor decision coming to this school from out-of-state. If you have in-state options, I recommend you take them. Im kicking myself.

Buckeye(OH) said:
They raised it 2652$ for out of staters and I think 5k for instaters.

Im pretty excited that it exceeds my stafford loan amount.

I certainly made a poor decision coming to this school from out-of-state. If you have in-state options, I recommend you take them. Im kicking myself.

No kidding - Iowa is ~23k per year for in-state.... you dont even have to tap into private loans to get a top notch education. granted its public, but someone IS making a killing off of us.

Members don't see this ad :)
laboholic said:
I was told at my interview by the students that you should wait until classes begin to buy equipment. Evidently they sell stethoscopes and other things in bulk at a discount.

Also, does anyone know anything about the immunizations that you can get from the university? They gave us that blue? sheet with all of the prices. They seemed to be a lot cheaper that what my local hospital can do. Can we get those during orientation or should we have them done before hand?.

I can't stress this point enough. Buy the cheapest equipment available. The salespeople from WelchAllyn will put the screws to you -as they did me- otherwise

Try to get your titers done in a manner that your insurance can cover you. If you come to the Wellness Center it will be $275 large, but at least the baller drawing your blood is easy on the eyes.

bbake87 said:
Try to get your titers done in a manner that your insurance can cover you. If you come to the Wellness Center it will be $275 large, but at least the baller drawing your blood is easy on the eyes.

:rolleyes: IF you like washed up Brett Favre wannabe's

Do NOT read a damn thing before first year. Relax enjoy, and then hit the ground running when you get there....then...the hard part...maintain for the entire year...use your summers to relax, catch up and live normally. Watch as much tv as you can, catch up on movies etc!!!! THERE SHOULD BE ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO READ BEFORE FIRST YEAR!!!!

HoosierDO said:
Do NOT read a damn thing before first year. Relax enjoy, and then hit the ground running when you get there....then...the hard part...maintain for the entire year...use your summers to relax, catch up and live normally. Watch as much tv as you can, catch up on movies etc!!!! THERE SHOULD BE ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO READ BEFORE FIRST YEAR!!!!

Well said Ms. HoosierDO. As a matter a factly, tonight I drank enough beer to kill a small horse watching the Brew Crew put the pick on the Cubs. And as for Buckeye, I believe he'll be pimpin the green and gold when my main man A.J. Hawk is getting crunk in the middle. Listen to Hoosier though, DO NOT study and enjoy your summer.

If WelchAllyn is over priced, where else should we look and how much should we expect to pay? What kind of features do we really need?

DocOxDO said:
If WelchAllyn is over priced, where else should we look and how much should we expect to pay? What kind of features do we really need?

Try the WelchAllyn grade C medical equipment
Sketchy, but affordable

(I understand that it comes with a small flask of gin seen in the bottom left corner)

Attachments

• doc2.jpg
    doc2.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 166
DocOxDO said:

A stethescope. An otoscope. A syphgmomanometer (the blood pressure thing, however the **** you spell it)

anybody get into CCOM with less than 25 MCAT?

Are there students that are selling their used equipment? (otoscope and blood pressure thing) I am going to wait until school starts to buy these things because #1. I have no idea what I am doing and #2. I dont know how much anything should cost and I dont want to get ripped off on the internet buying worthless junk.

Members don't see this ad :)
laboholic said:
Are there students that are selling their used equipment? (otoscope and blood pressure thing) I am going to wait until school starts to buy these things because #1. I have no idea what I am doing and #2. I dont know how much anything should cost and I dont want to get ripped off on the internet buying worthless junk.

Good call laboholic. The instructors and MS2s will have more information for us to base our decisions. My guess is we probably don't need all of the bells and whistles for these things we are going to be learning on. But we will find out.

Does anyone know which BRS books are good to have for MSI (my friend told me Biochem) And where can we find our class schedule?

Also I was told by the lady in finaid office that there is no tuition difference between in and out of state anymore. Is that true?

lilymoo said:
Also I was told by the lady in finaid office that there is no tuition difference between in and out of state anymore. Is that true?

Well for in state it's 36,391, and a previous post said out of state is 40,500, so it looks like there is still a difference.

lilymoo said:
Does anyone know which BRS books are good to have for MSI (my friend told me Biochem) And where can we find our class schedule?

We didnt have our class schedule until orientation.

I didnt use any BRS books except for physio, and you dont have that until winter and spring.

For fall you will have:

biochem, anatomy, interdisciplinary core class, history of medicine, histology, intro to clinical medicine, and OMM.

Every quarter first year is increasingly worse....well maybe not for you guys since you are starting earlier than we did.

DocOxDO said:
Good call laboholic. The instructors and MS2s will have more information for us to base our decisions. My guess is we probably don't need all of the bells and whistles for these things we are going to be learning on. But we will find out.

Ack! I doubt you'll find an MS2 selling any of their equipment.

Some people went with the expensive welch allyn equipment, and other people bought stuff off the cheap sites on the internet.

Getting the cheap stuff is fine for what you're buying it for (practicing on each other in the lab). However, I highly recommend putting some time and effort into finding a good stethoscope!

Interestingly, one of our professors (an MD), thought it was pretty silly that ccom required the MSIs to buy medical equipment that we'll only use a few times in the lab.

Take that as you will. But at least we get to learn to do heart/lung/eye/ear/reflex exams early. That's fun!

Im just curious...is cell biology covered in any of the courses? I dont see it in the curriculum but it is kind of important isnt it?

laboholic said:
Im just curious...is cell biology covered in any of the courses? I dont see it in the curriculum but it is kind of important isnt it?

Oh yeah, Biochem is a big umbrella for cell/molecular and genetics

bbake87 said:
Oh yeah, Biochem is a big umbrella for cell/molecular and genetics
I see. Thanks

DiscoDO said:
Ack! I doubt you'll find an MS2 selling any of their equipment.

Some people went with the expensive welch allyn equipment, and other people bought stuff off the cheap sites on the internet.

Getting the cheap stuff is fine for what you're buying it for (practicing on each other in the lab). However, I highly recommend putting some time and effort into finding a good stethoscope!

Interestingly, one of our professors (an MD), thought it was pretty silly that ccom required the MSIs to buy medical equipment that we'll only use a few times in the lab.

Take that as you will. But at least we get to learn to do heart/lung/eye/ear/reflex exams early. That's fun!

So what IS a "good stethoscope" for students? The Littmann Cardio III seems to be popular....

Do we need a great stethoscope while learning? I can see a good one enabling you to hear faint sounds whereas a cheaper model might not make them as audible. Is this true...OR are the better ones only really needed for good for cardiologists who know what he/she is doing? OR, maybe there is a happy medium.

Hello future classmates! I'm enjoying all the advice for us students about to start medical school. Anything else we should know?

So are any of the incoming MSI's planning on reading any of the suggested books?

laboholic said:
I see. Thanks

So what IS a "good stethoscope" for students? The Littmann Cardio III seems to be popular....

Do we need a great stethoscope while learning? I can see a good one enabling you to hear faint sounds whereas a cheaper model might not make them as audible. Is this true...OR are the better ones only really needed for good for cardiologists who know what he/she is doing? OR, maybe there is a happy medium.

Littman Classic II SE should be fine for now. The chances of you losing it during rotations/it being stolen are high.

I am headin to CCOM in August livin at the Versailles apts in Oakbrook Terrace movin out August 15 just wonderin who else is livin there.

SchekDO said:
I am headin to CCOM in August livin at the Versailles apts in Oakbrook Terrace movin out August 15 just wonderin who else is livin there.

Im living in building 7 i think. moving in august 19. Looking for someone who is living close to share internet with via a wireless router. If you are in the same building let me know if you are interested.

Buckeye(OH) said:
Littman Classic II SE should be fine for now. The chances of you losing it during rotations/it being stolen are high.

thats me

Yes I'm living in Versailles too. What are these suggested books? I didn't get anything in the mail.

CityDweller said:
Yes I'm living in Versailles too. What are these suggested books? I didn't get anything in the mail.

1. Read "The DO's: Osteopathic Medicine in America" by Norman Gevitz, Ph.D.
2. Read "The anatomy of Hope: How People Prevail in the Face of Illness" by Jerome Groopman, MD
3. Read "The Breakout Principle" by Herbert Benson, MD
4. Read "The Paradox of Osteopathy" from JAOA and "Hero DO" (Formerly Hero MD) from Newsweek
5. Complete a course in medical terminology. There are several on-line courses and also self-tutorial books.

I have only read the 2 articles from JAOA and Newsweek, but the others are supposed to give background on the profession and info on dealing with stress.

laboholic said:
1. Read "The DO's: Osteopathic Medicine in America" by Norman Gevitz, Ph.D.
2. Read "The anatomy of Hope: How People Prevail in the Face of Illness" by Jerome Groopman, MD
3. Read "The Breakout Principle" by Herbert Benson, MD
4. Read "The Paradox of Osteopathy" from JAOA and "Hero DO" (Formerly Hero MD) from Newsweek
5. Complete a course in medical terminology. There are several on-line courses and also self-tutorial books.

I have only read the 2 articles from JAOA and Newsweek, but the others are supposed to give background on the profession and info on dealing with stress.

The only book I read was the DO's. Not to mention, IM pretty sure we didnt have a 'required reading' list.

Take it for what its worth. I wouldnt bother.

Hey Everyone! So, I got this idea from another fellow med student to start a Google Group (similar to Yahoo groups) because I think it'll be easier to communicate and is a little less flaky than SDN (I've had problems accessing it before, but that may just be me). You can choose whether or not you want to receive messages in your email and we can use it throughout our four years to post things like study guides and social events (work hard, play hard, right?) Also, if you know anyone else in our class or other classes who may be interested, please pass this link along!

http://groups.google.com/group/CCOM2010

Awesome. I look forward to seeing you all soon!

Hey all! I'm moving up to the area around late August and I definately think we should try and plan a class party/BBQ/meet at a bar type get together. Any takers?

So is anyone in Yorktown II?

polam said:
Hey all! I'm moving up to the area around late August and I definately think we should try and plan a class party/BBQ/meet at a bar type get together. Any takers?

The MS2s will take care of this.

I just got accepted to the incoming class, is anyone still looking for a roomate? I wish I had something witty to say but I am really tired from the weekend...thanks.

I am having a tough time making a decision on which school I should go to...could someone tell me why they chose to go CCOM and if it is meeting their expectations? Are you happy?

In almost any decision you make, there will always be regrets. Make a decision and stick with it, deal with the regret later.

They are both good schools. The longer you play around with dual acceptances, the more its gonna torture you.

shttthttle said:
I am having a tough time making a decision on which school I should go to...could someone tell me why they chose to go CCOM and if it is meeting their expectations? Are you happy?

I chose CCOM because of its supposed respect among the Chicago medical community, not having to relocate 3rd & 4th year, great match list and opportunity to maybe do a PhD. I definitely did not choose it based on its fancy, easy to use web pages (they are ticking me off already and I havent even begun my first year!) or the nicely affordable tuition and surrounding community.

One thing I didnt like about DMU was the good probability of having to move to a new state 3rd year. I dont like Des Moines either but thats a personal preference.

>>>Attn CCOM. Please hire a new webpage designer to make a site that allows you to search and actually find something, and that also allows you to "go back" when looking through faculty profiles (among other things) without having to start over. Oh, make it less confusing too! Thanks! :) <<<

Whomever told you that you could do the DO/PhD thing doesnt know jack because its not really a viable option at CCOM.

Buckeye(OH) said:
Whomever told you that you could do the DO/PhD thing doesnt know jack because its not really a viable option at CCOM.

I spoke directly with the research director (or whatever his title is). In the past the PhD has been done at a chicago university (e.g. UIC), but they are planning changes to the program in the next couple of years.

Did you also happen to ask when the last person that actually did one, did one?

Buckeye(OH) said:
Did you also happen to ask when the last person that actually did one, did one?

Yes, It doesnt happen often but as I said, they are trying to change it. Also, I dont think many DO students are even interested in a combined degree. A lot of the schools that have that kind of program do not have a whole lot of students in them.

I never said that the DO/PhD program at CCOM was awesome by any means. I just mentioned that it existed -- If someone felt ambitious, they have the opportunity to go for it.

i was interested at one point, but they more or less discouraged me. And then when I realized how much work I really had, it was too much.

Buckeye(OH) said:
i was interested at one point, but they more or less discouraged me. And then when I realized how much work I really had, it was too much.

Yea, I highly doubt that I will be up for it.. unless they start giving scholarships to the students, or the NIH starts funding them like at allopathic schools

I hate CCOM's website...I want to talk to them about improving it because it's not efficient at all. Plus, I doubt SDN users are novice web surfers...the search thing is a piece.

shttthttle said:
I hate CCOM's website...I want to talk to them about improving it because it's not efficient at all. Plus, I doubt SDN users are novice web surfers...the search thing is a piece.

:thumbup:

Is the CCOM site down? Their site sucks!

I agree- the worst feature in my opinion is that you cannot search for anything, even the most basic of inquiries. I am not a huge fan of the intranet site, the email, or the mwu student login site either.

i am planning to shadow an alumnus of CCOM starting next week, does anyone know if this will help a lot for my application to CCOM? is that any kind of advantage?

bbake87 said:

I called my insurance company and they said I am not covered for this. Is there some special way to make them pay? I have been calling around and it is really hard to find out how much places charge for the titers. At the university hospital here they are charging almost 2x what the midwestern university wellness center. It is almost worth it to drive to chicago just to get this crap done. Anyone have any tips?