CCOM Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ULTRA nerves said:
I haven't seen these places myself, but I have heard many comments about them. Pines Apartments are 500 sq. feet consisted of a living space, a bedroom, and a small kitchen. I hear that it is relatively old when compared with other dorms on campus...some describe it as small and dusty. Currently, there is a construction for a new gym, so I speculate that it will be more dusty later in the year. For those of you not familiar with Downers Grove, I am a city kid so when compared with innercity Chicago, CCOM is in a high-class neighborhood. There are big houses (for some, I would call them mansions) gigantic yard, ponds, fountains...you get the drill. So my guess is that apartments such as city view and york town II will be much better in terms of quality (much bigger space and better maintenance, perhaps). There is a disadvantage, however; these apartments will be a lot more expensive, esp. if you desire one bedroom. In comparison, pines apts. cost only $2200 per quarter. Unless, you share an 2-3 bedrm apartment, I think that paying about $800 per month (maybe more) is the norm. My opinion is based on what other students had informed me on campus, so don't take it verbatim. I hope that helps.

I saw the pines once....
There are some pictures online that make them look pretty nice (great interior design), but when I saw one empty it was kind of depressing. There are hard tile floors and painted cinder block walls. It reminded me of a dorm room with a stove and bathroom. Personally, the positives didnt outweigh the negatives so I went off campus.

Members don't see this ad.

Empty rooms depress me in general. I am glad though that you were able to see one in person.

I know that there was a talk of going to Midwestern Research Day, did anyone go? I am just curious to know what others thought of it.

I got an effiency at Versailles for 729. That had studios going for 799, not too bad for a single. My place is smaller though.

Members don't see this ad :)
ULTRA nerves said:
Empty rooms depress me in general. I am glad though that you were able to see one in person.

I know that there was a talk of going to Midwestern Research Day, did anyone go? I am just curious to know what others thought of it.

There were more posters that I had expected... probably around 30 - variety of topics - cell biology, pharmacy, public health etc.. Looks like the university is serious about it at least.

Hey everyone...Does anyone know much about our white coat ceremony in September like if we can invite family or if it's for all of Midwestern not just CCOM?

jw83 said:
Hey everyone...Does anyone know much about our white coat ceremony in September like if we can invite family or if it's for all of Midwestern not just CCOM?

I think it is all of Midwestern students including students of physical therapies, physician assistants...etc. I am not sure if there is a limit on the number of guest you can bring, but I believe that this is an event for the family as well. By the way, White Coat Ceremoney is not in Sept (unless changed for this year)...more like in the middle of the fall qt right after the first set of exams.

laboholic said:
There were more posters that I had expected... probably around 30 - variety of topics - cell biology, pharmacy, public health etc.. Looks like the university is serious about it at least.

There were alot of posters than I expected too. Glad to see that MWU is helping students do research. Publishing an article as a med student will be a plus.

ULTRA nerves said:
I think it is all of Midwestern students including students of physical therapies, physician assistants...etc. I am not sure if there is a limit on the number of guest you can bring, but I believe that this is an event for the family as well. By the way, White Coat Ceremoney is not in Sept (unless changed for this year)...more like in the middle of the fall qt right after the first set of exams.

It says on the schedule the white coat ceremony will be Sept. 29.

ssdoc said:
It says on the schedule the white coat ceremony will be Sept. 29.

I am sorry. It is on Sept 29th. When you mentioned sept., I was thinking of orientation since I know of handful of schools that have the ceremony towards the end of orientation. Thank you for the correction.

ULTRA nerves said:

Well, it was sept 30, 2005. Thats pretty much in september.

Each student gets two tickets per person. That means you get to have two guests.

Some students give up their tickets, but other students definately don't get the number of tickets they need to invite large numbers of family.

Its a pretty ****ty ceremony overall. I mean its just in the lecture hall.

Hey guys..jsut signed up and cant wait until next year! :D

ChicagoDO said:
Hey guys..jsut signed up and cant wait until next year! :D

Welcome and congrats. We kick ass.

Vox Animo said:
I'm proud to annoucne that im the 50th person with a housing question.

I just got my housing app and they are sticking me in a single w/private bath dorm.

I don't think i can do the dorm thing after having my house for 2 years. Anyone still looking for a roommate? Im gonna call around now and look for apartments. I am from about 20 minutes from CCOM, so i will be able to look at places starting next monday.

If still need a roommate just PM me.

So does that mean you're giving up your single? I got stuck with a double suite and a shared bath -- my 11th choice for on campus. I'm from California and figure living on campus would be a lot easier to sort out. If you're letting that one go, I'd love to try to find a way to get it (if that's even possible...i'm not sure). Otherwise I'm definately moving off campus...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys!
I am finishing up my second year at CCOM and I am looking to move into the city for my clinical rotations. I need to rent out my place to 3 Midwestern students (preferably CCOM students). It's a really nice townhome ACROSS THE STREET FROM CAMPUS!!! The rent is $650 and internet and cable is included. There is also a government assistance program for electric and gas where the gov. pays most of it, so you wouldn't be paying that much extra in bills (especially between 3 people). The place has everything you need and more...washer/dryer, dishwasher, garbage/recycling, 2 car garage with driveway, back porch (for those post-exam times when you just need to relax and have a nice cold broosky!)...it's 2 1/2 baths, 3 levels, corner unit, 2 fireplaces...it's big and spacious, cheap and convenient...it's AWESOME and a total steal! If anyone who is interested in my place, please contact me at your earliest convenience. Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you!
Take care and congrats on your acceptance to CCOM!
Tamar:)
[email protected]
p.s. I would be more than happy to answer any questions you guys have on anything about CCOM/med school/Downers Grove/really anything... I look forward to meeting you guys!

so i'm coming from california and need some suggestions on what kind of winter clothing to purchase before the big move. gortex? wind resistant? long underwear? needless to say, i've never experienced anything like this yet and i'd like to be as prepared as possible before arriving to school. any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks!

mwaterplo007 said:
so i'm coming from california and need some suggestions on what kind of winter clothing to purchase before the big move. gortex? wind resistant? long underwear? needless to say, i've never experienced anything like this yet and i'd like to be as prepared as possible before arriving to school. any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks!

Welcome to chicago!!! Chicago winters could be BRUTAL!! This past one was really mild tho. I would bring LOTS of sweaters, nice and warm coats, gloves, hats, scarves, a nice pair of warm winter boots, and long underwear is good to wear when you're outside a lot during the winter. For going to school, long underwear may be a pain because once you get inside you start sweating with them on. Layering is key in the winter cause you are contantly going from warm to cold and back. Good luck!

Hey guys,

Sorry to invade your thread but I'm looking to see if there is interest in having a Chicagoland SDN meetup this fall!

I'm particularly interested in knowing when your classes begin and if you would be interested in spending a night out on the town with your fellow SDNers from Chicago area med schools.

PM me if you think this sounds like fun!

Thanks,

Molly

mwaterplo007 said:

thanks!

Just wait until you get here to buy anything. It wont get cold for a couple of months (The beginning of september is usually very warm), and you wont have to move all your winter clothes. :thumbup:
Besides, im sure Chicago has a better selection of winter stuff than California.

cjsteller said:
So does that mean you're giving up your single? I got stuck with a double suite and a shared bath -- my 11th choice for on campus. I'm from California and figure living on campus would be a lot easier to sort out. If you're letting that one go, I'd love to try to find a way to get it (if that's even possible...i'm not sure). Otherwise I'm definately moving off campus...

Actually when i went to the school, found out i have a shared bath. Does double sweet mean you share your room? thats horrible.

I have untill june 1st the turn in the app, so im gonna wait to cancel. If I were you i would get on the waitlists for other dorms because i think that is how they do housing.

Anyone using The Higher Education (T.H.E.) at northstar.org as a lender for private loans?

I was on the phone with financial aid and i want to use this, but the school answer to everything was Sallie Mae

Vox Animo said:
Anyone using The Higher Education (T.H.E.) at northstar.org as a lender for private loans?

I was on the phone with financial aid and i want to use this, but the school answer to everything was Sallie Mae

They want you to give into the beast!

Im so glad im not a first year anymore.

Have fun with that, suckers.

mwaterplo007 said:

thanks!
Where in CA are you from? I'm from San Diego and don't know much about cold weather...I'm just a little worried...

cjsteller said:
Where in CA are you from? I'm from San Diego and don't know much about cold weather...I'm just a little worried...

Just make sure that you dont leave any skin exposed or it will freeze instantly

laboholic said:
Just make sure that you dont leave any skin exposed or it will freeze instantly

I've seen it

The winters can be ugly in the midwest- I went to school in Madison, WI for 4 years and the worst was definitely the winds in winter where it got to -30 windchill. A good hat and windproof jacket are key, but since we don't have to walk 25 minutes to class it won't be a huge issue at CCOM.

can somebody tell me what questions are asked on the CCOM supplementary application?

cjsteller said:

*hugs*

I feel for both of you. I'm from southern CA (LA) and I've had two winters in Chicago, and yes, they've been mild, but I did not do well at all. :(
I never thought I was an outside girl or that I spent that much time outside until I got to DG. SAD might get to you, because I was hit hard with it big time. For me, it wasn't so much the cold that killed, it was the lack of sunlight. Most of the time the skies are gray, and that part sucks big time. :thumbdown:

I swear I'd stare at my summer skirts and tank tops wishing to wear them. :laugh:

All I know is that, do whatever it takes to fight off SAD. I opted not to go the drug route, and tanning salons and light box therapy aren't really a long term fix. I think it was the idea of needing to be outside baking in sunlight. :(

Anyway, I'm a third year now, so if you guys have any questions, you can PM me anytime.

Oh, and living on campus was a plus for me since summer storage is relatively cheap, but I ended up studying off campus most of the time to just "get a break" from school. You spend way too many hours to live, eat, and breathe at school without losing some sanity.

Good luck! :luck: I wish someone had warned me about the weather. If you're really a sunny, outdoorsy person, just brace yourself for the winter.

If anyone is in the Boston area this summer, let me know and we can plan a get together. I'll be here until August 14.

hey guys...sorry for not getting back to those that contacted me for the apt. i advertised. As soon as my landlord found out I was leaving he jumped and got the placed rented. Anyway...here is my advice...log onto the chicago tribune and search the classifieds for apts in downers grove. There are plenty of places that advertise on apartments.com and other websites like that but they are significantly more expensive. I lived in a complex like city view my first year, out in naperville, it was amazing but so were the bills and the drive was not worth it for me. My second year i moved within 2 miles of school, i sacrificed all of my princess priorities and lived in a privately owned apt. It was the best thing I had ever done, being that close just makes like so much easier. Anyway there are plenty of apts that are downtown downers grove, just south of ogden that are much cheaper than other places. I lived just north of ogden and that cut out a ton of traffic, and made my commute never longer than 4 minutes...which was priceless on exam days...hmmm well that makes it 3 of the 5 days a week ;) anyway enjoy summer and let me know if you have any questions!!!

Ciao

Hello fellow CCOM class of 2010 classmates. :D I'm so excited to get started. Can anyone recommend any specific threads on here or other resources for first year med students?

Does anyone know if CCOM has their classes viewable or recorded online?

No one tapes our classes as far as I know. Trust me, the notes you are given/have to buy are PLENTY sufficient to excel.

So lecture is for suckers. Gotcha. That a huge relief considering I just decided to communte to school next year.

Well this is a repost, I now have signed for a 2 bed 2 bath at Yorktown II in Lombard. I need a roommate. Email me if you're interested at [email protected] Rent is $1169/month + utilities.
-Jeremy

The lecture notes are money. I went to class about 10% of the time - just to chill and say hi to everyone. BUT, everyone has different ways in which information presented to them 'sticks'. By about 2nd or 3rd quarter you'll have your routine down.

Vox Animo said:
So lecture is for suckers. Gotcha. That a huge relief considering I just decided to communte to school next year.

Ey guys I need a male/female student roommate for a 2bedroom/2bathroom apartment at Yorktown II in Lombard (Astor floor plan, 1056 sq.ft). The total cost = $1169/mo + utilities. I'm easy going, sharing, co-operative, quiet or social as appropriate, non-smoker, was a Resident Assistant at the University of Texas for 2 years, so open-minded, good humored and easy to get along with. I study equally frequently at campus and at home.
Call at (210) 259 7945 or email at [email protected] if interested.

Sid

Hi everyone,
I'll be joining you in Downers Grove at CCOM! I'm living in the on-campus apts...little did I know that I would be paying a lot of rent for a not-impressive apt...super. Is anyone else living on-campus (esp. the apts?).

Hi Zinnia!

I will be living in Pine Apartment as well. The location will definitely be convenient consider how many morning exams we will have. I hope this advantage will override the disadvantages of living there!

SuperDOgirl,
Apt#7
Zinnia said:
Hi everyone,
I'll be joining you in Downers Grove at CCOM! I'm living in the on-campus apts...little did I know that I would be paying a lot of rent for a not-impressive apt...super. Is anyone else living on-campus (esp. the apts?).

Hey do y'all know if CCOM offers research preceptorships in the summers for med students? from what i know getting published in med school is money.
O...and really excited to start school...bleh bleh bleh.
Anyone down to put together a mixer a coupla weeks before school? Cos then we can have another one @ the end of 1st year and have a betting pool going on how much weight i'm gonna gain. My bookies standing by.
Anyways email me at [email protected] if anyone's interested.
And still looking for a roommate for Yorktown II...see above.

siddro said:
Hey do y'all know if CCOM offers research preceptorships in the summers for med students? from what i know getting published in med school is money.

Yes, they do. I think you can get around $4-5K? for a 10 week summer research fellowship. I talked to someone about it during the meet and greet. I think I might do that next summer.

Buckeye(OH) said:
No one tapes our classes as far as I know. Trust me, the notes you are given/have to buy are PLENTY sufficient to excel.

Buckeye! BBake!!! What's going on?!? Hope your summer is going good, definitely enjoying the freedom in chi-town and grateful that the first year is over!

Anyone just recieve the summer reading packet?

laboholic said:
what is that?

I just got a packet in the mail on saturday from CCOM with a letter that contained suggested summer reading books, and a few copies of some articles, a sheet that said i needed to buy medical equipment, immunization reminder. They even suggested taking a medical terminology course.

Vox Animo said:
I just got a packet in the mail on saturday from CCOM with a letter that contained suggested summer reading books, and a few copies of some articles, a sheet that said i needed to buy medical equipment, immunization reminder. They even suggested taking a medical terminology course.

I was told at my interview by the students that you should wait until classes begin to buy equipment. Evidently they sell stethoscopes and other things in bulk at a discount.

Also, does anyone know anything about the immunizations that you can get from the university? They gave us that blue? sheet with all of the prices. They seemed to be a lot cheaper that what my local hospital can do. Can we get those during orientation or should we have them done before hand?.

laboholic said:
I was told at my interview by the students that you should wait until classes begin to buy equipment. Evidently they sell stethoscopes and other things in bulk at a discount.

Also, does anyone know anything about the immunizations that you can get from the university? They gave us that blue? sheet with all of the prices. They seemed to be a lot cheaper that what my local hospital can do. Can we get those during orientation or should we have them done before hand?.

The way I understood the immunizations, you should try to get them done before orientation just in case your titers indicate that you need another immunization. I had all my labs done before I graduated in the spring, and my advice is to start them now. It was a hassle to get the blood drawn, return for the labs, and return again for the second round of the TB, plus get the physical. My titers were cheaper to get them done through the hospital.

I got my financial aid letter today. It says tuition is 40,500! Jeeze, I thought it was more like 38K. Whats up with that?

laboholic said:
I got my financial aid letter today. It says tuition is 40,500! Jeeze, I thought it was more like 38K. Whats up with that?

OUch! I think last year it was 38K.