Cardiology Salary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
what type of jobs have you been encountering this year with those salaries? Employed positions at hospital or private practice?
private

Members don't see this ad.

When is a good time to start looking for jobs? 1 year prior to graduation?

Following up on this question, what is the salary and job market like for the pediatric equivalent of the cardiology sub-specialties? It seems like pediatric EP has more interesting cases than adult but both the job market and salary seems way worse for peds in general.

Members don't see this ad :)
Following up on this question, what is the salary and job market like for the pediatric equivalent of the cardiology sub-specialties? It seems like pediatric EP has more interesting cases than adult but both the job market and salary seems way worse for peds in general.
1621516364759.png

Mean median 375/353

Does anyone have specific information about pay for non-invasive/advanced imaging jobs in Boston/Boston suburbs. The pay for academic centers in the region is known to be way lower than the national average, but how low are we talking? How about smaller community hospitals affiliated with academic institutions or hospital-employed positions?

Does anyone have specific information about pay for non-invasive/advanced imaging jobs in Boston/Boston suburbs. The pay for academic centers in the region is known to be way lower than the national average, but how low are we talking? How about smaller community hospitals affiliated with academic institutions or hospital-employed positions?
New EP/IC attending in one of the Harvard hospitals start in the 180-200 range

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Numbers vary a lot on location and type of practice. My co-fellow and I compared our list of places and found that most private groups offered in the mid-upper 300's to mid 400's with bonus pay and partnership track in about 3 years. Hospital employed was more regional in the pay. California and Hawaii offered mid 400's starting with little room for increasing that salary. Rural areas were much better paying with up to 760k/year starting (I almost signed one such contract but the call was Q2 and I thought I might die plus school options for my kids were quite poor). Most hospital employed positions started in the upper 5's or low 6's in the PNW. I eventually chose to go with an employed position offering low 600's with a 10-15% group based production bonus plan after the first year, an automatic 10% raise after the second year, and guaranteed salary for 3 years with option to go to production after first year at anytime per my desire along with typical medical and 401k options. I made sure to get a contract lawyer to review my offers and was so glad I did. The place I chose had the best balance in terms of flexibility, procedures, pay, and lifestyle/education options for my kids.

Look at MGMA data for your region of interest and specialty and likely you will find jobs offering salaries in that range. Most residency programs will have this available to you. As a new grad expect to start in the 25-50th percentile of pay for your region.

Bump.

Any comment on the job market for IC in the DFW area? Would it be worth it to move to the Tyler/Longview area?

Bump.

Any comment on the job market for IC in the DFW area? Would it be worth it to move to the Tyler/Longview area?
Long time lurker here. Started a new IC position in DFW. I absolutely love it. Great work life balance. Pay isn’t that great, mine started at 410 base with option to move to RVU (67 per) after 1-1.5 years. 15k signing bonus.
What makes it amazing is that i have amazing partners who have my back. So I would say yes money is important but what’ll make it or break it is who you get to work with everyday. Can you run things by them at 1-2am if you get into trouble, can you see yourself hanging out with them on your off weekends, do they have the same values as yourself when it comes to family/etc.
I was lucky enough to find that work environment with being in a metropolitan city and having good school system for my kids. Salary isn’t as high as some of my cofellows (one got 650k to start in Midwest) but it’s all about priority.
I can see myself working here and building my practice and salary up vs I won’t be able to last in mid-west even if my starting salary was 200k higher.
Feel free to PM me for any more questions

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Long time lurker here. Started a new IC position in DFW. I absolutely love it. Great work life balance. Pay isn’t that great, mine started at 410 base with option to move to RVU (67 per) after 1-1.5 years. 15k signing bonus.
What makes it amazing is that i have amazing partners who have my back. So I would say yes money is important but what’ll make it or break it is who you get to work with everyday. Can you run things by them at 1-2am if you get into trouble, can you see yourself hanging out with them on your off weekends, do they have the same values as yourself when it comes to family/etc.
I was lucky enough to find that work environment with being in a metropolitan city and having good school system for my kids. Salary isn’t as high as some of my cofellows (one got 650k to start in Midwest) but it’s all about priority.
I can see myself working here and building my practice and salary up vs I won’t be able to last in mid-west even if my starting salary was 200k higher.

An OK starting salary but the wRVU rate is pretty good. I was under the impression that the wRVU rate would be lower for larger cities like DFW. Congratulations!

Anyone working in the Pacific Northwest? How is it out there in terms of salary and living? Any reply would be greatly appreciated, I’ve never visited that region.

WRVU rate is really good for metro city. Do you mind sharing what is the target RVU # you need to hit to get more than your base salary?

Generally, is target RVU based on median RVU for the region based on MGMA data?

Is 10k RVU target for non-invasive cardiologist even imaginable?

10k rvu isn't terribly difficult, especially with the new outpatient rvus. The bulk of rvus can come from clinic and then echo. But the non-rvu producing parts of the job are important too. 2 people producing same rvu could have very different lifestyles and "busy-ness." A job paying $50k more but 50% busier isn't a good deal.

10k rvu isn't terribly difficult, especially with the new outpatient rvus. The bulk of rvus can come from clinic and then echo. But the non-rvu producing parts of the job are important too. 2 people producing same rvu could have very different lifestyles and "busy-ness." A job paying $50k more but 50% busier isn't a good deal.
What are the non-RVU producing part of the job in non-invasive cardiologist is day today work?

Messages, phone calls, prior auths, peer to peer, refills, meetings, supervising, curbsides rooming you own patients (yes I know some who have to sometimes), etc.

WRVU rate is really good for metro city. Do you mind sharing what is the target RVU # you need to hit to get more than your base salary?

Generally, is target RVU based on median RVU for the region based on MGMA data?

Is 10k RVU target for non-invasive cardiologist even imaginable?
Usually we get about 1000-1400 wRVU per month

Anyone ICs in Virginia? Preferably between DC and Richmond or within 1-2hr driving distance from either of these places

Curious to know if the comps are as low as NYC
Let me know if you find out. A friend got a job in Maryland in private practice, IC, 375K base + 100K bounce

Recently signed as a non-invasive in a metro city on the west coast, all salary, no productivity, 550k

Reactions: 1 user
Beyond Salary Q:

What is the typical sign on bonus, relocation allowance, and PTO for non-invasive Cardiology?

I will start- Midwest $40k sign on bonus, $10k moving, and 37 PTO(includes vacation, holiday, sick, CME). liked the base pay which is fixed for 3 years. Did try to negotiate base but they didn’t budge. they were firm stating I am anywhere 75th percentile (which I figure is not 100% true but it’s out there.. no complaints about it )

I wish I had negotiated bonus and PTO. Posting here as most are focused on salary, like I was. PTO and bonus matter

In my area:

-30 k signing
-10 to 15k relocation
-30-40 days per year (including holidays)

The days per year is the ridiculous things as no one is counting those 24 weekend days one works as “work” or obviously all the weekday call nights.

I think the best chance that you get anyone to budge on anything is to focus on PTO.

A friend of mine took an offer within a 1 hour commute to Richmond for $450k base, 50k signon and the option to move to RVU based after 2 years
I got a similar contract in CT, suburban location, goes up to 600k after 2 years.

Here is a tough one - my wife and I are both new F2s in cardiology fellowships. Hope to practice in NJ (central vs north) ideally. She wants to do general with focus on imaging (trying to convince her to do community but maybe academic) and I want to do either general or possible interventional (coronary + peripheral) community practice.

Is it going to be impossible to both get jobs with 30 mins of each other if we both do community? What base salary should we be expecting if we both do community and options for growth in salary?

Here is a tough one - my wife and I are both new F2s in cardiology fellowships. Hope to practice in NJ (central vs north) ideally. She wants to do general with focus on imaging (trying to convince her to do community but maybe academic) and I want to do either general or possible interventional (coronary + peripheral) community practice.

Is it going to be impossible to both get jobs with 30 mins of each other if we both do community? What base salary should we be expecting if we both do community and options for growth in salary?
Plenty of jobs in NJ, esp noninvasive, many are not advertised. Starting ~400 and IC a little higher ~50k more with the call stipend.

You will be fine. Lots of jobs in NJ. General cardiology market is pretty hot. Lots of health systems want non invasive cardiologists. IC jobs are harder to find. Private practice IC job in Northern NJ means 80% general cardiology and 20% interventional work and you can do as much or as little STEMI call as you want.

Agree with starting salaries with above poster. If you are employed by a big health system, your salaries don’t increase that much. If you are in PP and make partner, you can earn upto 2x your starting salary (or more).

You will be fine. Lots of jobs in NJ. General cardiology market is pretty hot. Lots of health systems want non invasive cardiologists. IC jobs are harder to find. Private practice IC job in Northern NJ means 80% general cardiology and 20% interventional work and you can do as much or as little STEMI call as you want.

Agree with starting salaries with above poster. If you are employed by a big health system, your salaries don’t increase that much. If you are in PP and make partner, you can earn upto 2x your starting salary (or more).
Partner income after 3-5 years are in the 700-900k range.

Partner income after 3-5 years are in the 700-900k range.
Is this for group private practice or community? I am unsure hospital employed base/base +RVU have partner track.

I am currently hospital employed. High volume, busy hospital in healthcare oasis. Volume just flows in. High base+ RVu. Place is meh. I intend to switch in 2-3 years for long haul in good group, 3-4 days/week, robust in imaging , and 1:7 weekend with competitive salary/partner track. Does this kind of job exist ? Wonder how soon to start looking, interview and negotiate.