General Cardiology Boards 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Guys any insight on this ?
I know of two individuals who submitted the funds for rescore request for IM boards (not cards) and both got the same score back. They won't admit that they might have made an error even if they did, so I would consider not doing it, I suspect it may only add insult to insult.

It's a garbage exam. Please don't let this dictate how you feel about yourself or clinical abilities.

Agree with minimalist coding. I coded maybe 2-3 things on some of the angiograms and while I did only about average, I know I missed two huge diagnoses and suspect the minimalist coding (sparing myself from further points being detracted) helped. That being said, who the hell knows because it's a clusterf*ck of a test.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Overall I would say minimalist coding is the way to code. Only code the obvious pathology. Do not code normal findings as they are at best +0, at worst -1.

Angiograms were tricky. Take the time to look for additional pathology like late filling collaterals etc. I coded more pathology than my colleagues and I think that was in my benefit. But still, only coding frank pathology, not moderate disease etc.

So you weren't coding moderate or mild disease? Only severe disease?

How did you code back filling of native arteries with disease in CABG patients?

What about echoes? Were you coding EF for every echo? Atrial size or ventricular chambers?

No one prepares you for this..its more how to code properly than actual diagnosis..terrible day 2

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If I had to retake I’d wait for new CV board and see what initial cert is going to be like. The stress of trying to figure out what they actually want on that exam isn’t worth it IMHO, life is too short and we work too hard to be dealing with that kind of garbage. The entire country is short on cardiologists and there are job postings in every state and major city—no one is going to fire you over it. If they do, it’s probably an academic appointment and you’d be better off/make more money in private practice anyways 😬. Keep your heads up, a decade or more of graduate level education and training isn’t defined by a terribly constructed exam.

If I had to retake I’d wait for new CV board and see what initial cert is going to be like. The stress of trying to figure out what they actually want on that exam isn’t worth it IMHO, life is too short and we work too hard to be dealing with that kind of garbage. The entire country is short on cardiologists and there are job postings in every state and major city—no one is going to fire you over it. If they do, it’s probably an academic appointment and you’d be better off/make more money in private practice anyways 😬. Keep your heads up, a decade or more of graduate level education and training isn’t defined by a terribly constructed exam.
How do we write to the new board? Who to contact for that?

How do we write to the new board? Who to contact for that?
From what I understand there is supposed to be a meeting early 2024 to outline the process and timeline for moving the board. All the major players at this point are on board with migrating. You have quite a long time before the deadline to signup to retake I believe so could see if anything develops before giving ABIM any more money.

I’d also recommend to anyone who will be signing a contract in the near future to have the language modified in your contract that you must be or are are board eligible, rather than board certified for at least the initial contract you sign. Most first contracts are 2-3 years so that gives you time if something happens and doesn’t put so much weight on a poorly written exam.

From what I understand there is supposed to be a meeting early 2024 to outline the process and timeline for moving the board. All the major players at this point are on board with migrating. You have quite a long time before the deadline to signup to retake I believe so could see if anything develops before giving ABIM any more money.

I’d also recommend to anyone who will be signing a contract in the near future to have the language modified in your contract that you must be or are are board eligible, rather than board certified for at least the initial contract you sign. Most first contracts are 2-3 years so that gives you time if something happens and doesn’t put so much weight on a poorly written exam.

Thank u this is helpful..meeting by ABMS?.. I will **** tight and pray!

They’ll totally fire you over it… and not just academic places. Plenty of community places would.. and if you wait too long you won’t get hired/credentialed. No one cares about the job shortage. Policies are policies and not being board certified is a huge deal.

Sure you can play the “board eligible” thing for a year or two and/or probably wait until next year to see what similar nonsense a bunch of out-of-touch ivory tower types come up with. I too think it will be better than abim but after their first announcement I have no illusions that it won’t be a similar money grab time suck.

Reactions: 1 users
Fortunately I passed and did nearly 2SD above avg Day 2 without any clue what they wanted thus take what I say with a grain of salt.

On EKGs I coded as much as I could based on the concrete rules of EKG and had the mindset that every vignette was trying to tell you / test you on something although I think they were much less clear on the test than in practice. Dialysis = lyte problems, SCD/Drown = congenital / channelopathy, etc etc.

Echo coding was hard because you don't know how much or little to put but was more clear than EKG / Cath in my opinion. I always started with the main finding and then would always code as much as I could see of everything else. Every LV I could see got a LVEF, wall thickness, wall motion. I didn't give severe unless very clear. If I saw an LA it got a size. I had no idea how to code the stress echo part.

Cath was so sketch and I felt like I coded very little in that section.

Passed. This is a real garbage exam and board certified means nothing to clinical practice. It is just money scam in healthcare industry!!

Thanks God, passed but its very badly conducted exam. Most people fail in day 2. Couple of suggestions for day 2:
For ECG do ECG source they resemble in quality the actual exam ECG. Okeefe online forms your basis.
Do it on time mode because in real exam after you encounter difficult ekg, you get under time pressure.
Practice pacemaker ekg, know how to differentiate CRT from dual chamber pacing, how to identify dual chamber chamber pacer from single spike by looking at PR interval. Learn pattern for clinical disorders, they are easy points.
Just code one ot two major diagnosis, dont go 3 diagnosis frequently otherwise you will lose.
Learn ekg of PE, inferior MI differentiation.
Learn differentiating lateral MI with Q in lead 1 and AVL or lead misplacement.

Learn EKG with RBBB pattern in anterior leads with Q wave in V1, V2,V3 old MI.

Don't code any thing unless you are 100% confident.
Learn differentiate between flutter and fib, some time difficult.
Brugada pattern should be on your finger tips.
Don't code sinus rhythm on every EKG. If you see 16 QRS and code it sinus, and you didn't see the 17 the P wave you will be dinged.
The most difficult ekgs are differentiating 2nd, from 3rd degree AVB, know sinus arrest and differentiating it from sinus exit block. Know differentiating pauses from PACs.
Code RBBB and LBBB when its very clear.
Don't even care about left or right atrial enlargement coding. More risk of negative points.
Some time flutter and SVT difficult to differentiate. Do thorough practice.
On ECG source in the easrch column if you search SVT it will show all ECG with SVT diagnosis and help you see different pattern of same diagnosis. Hope that helps.
I still beleive it is unfair exam. There should be another body like ACC to do certification exam to set competition with ABIM. Exam should be held atleast 2-3 times year. Best of luck

Fortunately I passed and did nearly 2SD above avg Day 2 without any clue what they wanted thus take what I say with a grain of salt.

On EKGs I coded as much as I could based on the concrete rules of EKG and had the mindset that every vignette was trying to tell you / test you on something although I think they were much less clear on the test than in practice. Dialysis = lyte problems, SCD/Drown = congenital / channelopathy, etc etc.

Echo coding was hard because you don't know how much or little to put but was more clear than EKG / Cath in my opinion. I always started with the main finding and then would always code as much as I could see of everything else. Every LV I could see got a LVEF, wall thickness, wall motion. I didn't give severe unless very clear. If I saw an LA it got a size. I had no idea how to code the stress echo part.

Cath was so sketch and I felt like I coded very little in that section.
It seem like you coded more than i did. I only code what I am >90% sure is the correct diagnosis and related to the stem. Usually skip over atrial size bc i thought it would not be accurate to size atrium based on one bad picture and “guess” lvef by “eyeballing”. I only scored slightly above the mean on day 2 so i guess we should be coding more ?

Members don't see this ad :)
The issue is no one knows how to properly answer the vignettes. The ABIM apology doesn't address that - it is still a wildly flawed exam.

The issue is no one knows how to properly answer the vignettes. The ABIM apology doesn't address that - it is still a wildly flawed exam.
hopefully the new board is setup(fingers crossed) and they get rid of the current one and by the next test rolls in we won't have ABIM administering it

This is very sad. Most cardiologists who take care real sick patients here and unfortunately failed this garbage exam have to guess and learn how to pass this exam. this system is so broken

Reactions: 2 users
I m actually devastated and still trying to get on my feet..after all this achievement I feel like ****

I m actually devastated and still trying to get on my feet..after all this achievement I feel like ****
There’s a lot of us that feel like that you’re not alone. MCAT. 3 steps. Im boards. Nuc boards. Echo boards. We are with you

Thanks God, passed but its very badly conducted exam. Most people fail in day 2. Couple of suggestions for day 2:
For ECG do ECG source they resemble in quality the actual exam ECG. Okeefe online forms your basis.
Do it on time mode because in real exam after you encounter difficult ekg, you get under time pressure.
Practice pacemaker ekg, know how to differentiate CRT from dual chamber pacing, how to identify dual chamber chamber pacer from single spike by looking at PR interval. Learn pattern for clinical disorders, they are easy points.
Just code one ot two major diagnosis, dont go 3 diagnosis frequently otherwise you will lose.
Learn ekg of PE, inferior MI differentiation.
Learn differentiating lateral MI with Q in lead 1 and AVL or lead misplacement.

Learn EKG with RBBB pattern in anterior leads with Q wave in V1, V2,V3 old MI.

Don't code any thing unless you are 100% confident.
Learn differentiate between flutter and fib, some time difficult.
Brugada pattern should be on your finger tips.
Don't code sinus rhythm on every EKG. If you see 16 QRS and code it sinus, and you didn't see the 17 the P wave you will be dinged.
The most difficult ekgs are differentiating 2nd, from 3rd degree AVB, know sinus arrest and differentiating it from sinus exit block. Know differentiating pauses from PACs.
Code RBBB and LBBB when its very clear.
Don't even care about left or right atrial enlargement coding. More risk of negative points.
Some time flutter and SVT difficult to differentiate. Do thorough practice.
On ECG source in the easrch column if you search SVT it will show all ECG with SVT diagnosis and help you see different pattern of same diagnosis. Hope that helps.
I still beleive it is unfair exam. There should be another body like ACC to do certification exam to set competition with ABIM. Exam should be held atleast 2-3 times year. Best of luck
This is great, any input about Echos and Caths what to look for or and resources you suggest for Echo and Caths

Is there a limit on how many times we can take the ABIM CVS? Like 3 back to back?

Hey guys, congrats to all who passed and for those that didn't, I'd like to provide my two cents below...

Day 1: I prepared with Mayo videos and supplemented some topics that I felt I needed a little more depth/ understanding with ACC videos. I referenced my ITE's to bolster some weak areas and really focused on those with the aforementioned content. Lastly, I did ACCSAP questions twice through in random order.

Day 2: I used three main resources including O'keefe online, ECG source and again, the Mayo videos (Cath, echo and ECG coding). There really isn't much "practice" outside of the first two resources, but I felt watching the Mayo videos over and over helped me gain a better understanding of how they grade. For ECG's I stuck to 3 main codes +/- really obvious things. I can't emphasize enough, that at least for me, less was more. I tried to do the same for echo and cath, but felt that there either wasn't always 3 things to even code or perhaps, there were at times more. I didn't code EF for all as there clearly image sets that didn't allow for that. I coded ONLY what I saw and didn't assume because of one obvious finding that there was something else commonly associated.

I passed with above average marks and I don't say this to brag, but more so demonstrate that those resources are plenty. I also don't feel particularly skilled at angio interpretation, especially poor images but feel my ECG reading really helped secure a pass. I hope this helps. Cheers.

Last edited:
It seem like you coded more than i did. I only code what I am >90% sure is the correct diagnosis and related to the stem. Usually skip over atrial size bc i thought it would not be accurate to size atrium based on one bad picture and “guess” lvef by “eyeballing”. I only scored slightly above the mean on day 2 so i guess we should be coding more ?

You are right. My thought process was that if the 1 view they give you shows a normal EF they can't take points off if you call it as such but who knows!

I’m shocked. I compared answers with friends after the exam, I can see how on EKG things can get confused, but there’s no way I did this poorly on the echo and cath section. I’m submitting a rescore request, but it pisses me off because I know it’s just a 250$ donation and who knows if they even actually re-grade it.

I’m shocked. I compared answers with friends after the exam, I can see how on EKG things can get confused, but there’s no way I did this poorly on the echo and cath section. I’m submitting a rescore request, but it pisses me off because I know it’s just a 250$ donation and who knows if they even actually re-grade it.
man I failed day one by 7 points..dont think I will do a rescore...likely just take ur money...upto u man

Same. Identical coding on ekg and echo and both other fellows passed and I didn’t.

Hi all! I scored over 600 on day 1, and was failed on day 2 with score 330. It tells me i’m seriously below average in all ecg’s echo and cath (when i crushed echo, nuke, ct and mri boards). I prepared well for the test, am an excellent exam taker, and my answers were identical to my colleagues who passed. I did not undercode or overcode. Not sure how I could be so bad in all 3 ecg’s echos and caths?!! Seems like there’s something fishy. Other people who went through the same - let us get together and figure out a way to correct this? Maybe get together and ask for ACC/SCAI help. Thanks

Last edited:
Hi all! I scored over 600 on day 1, and was failed on day 2 with score 330. It tells me i’m seriously below average in all ecg’s echo and cath (when i crushed echo, nuke, ct and mri boards). I prepared well for the test, am an excellent exam taker, and my answers were identical to my colleagues who passed. I did not undercode or overcode. Not sure how I could be so bad in all 3 ecg’s echos and caths?!! Seems like there’s something fishy. Other people who went through the same - let us get together and figure out a way to correct this? Maybe get together and ask for ACC/SCAI help. Please reach out to me on 910-777-7356. Thanks
Problem is we can’t use this as proof right? We’re not supposed to be discussing exam questions after the fact. Just sucks and there’s definitely something off. I’m submitting a re-score request and I think you both should as well.

Hi all! I scored over 600 on day 1, and was failed on day 2 with score 330. It tells me i’m seriously below average in all ecg’s echo and cath (when i crushed echo, nuke, ct and mri boards). I prepared well for the test, am an excellent exam taker, and my answers were identical to my colleagues who passed. I did not undercode or overcode. Not sure how I could be so bad in all 3 ecg’s echos and caths?!! Seems like there’s something fishy. Other people who went through the same - let us get together and figure out a way to correct this? Maybe get together and ask for ACC/SCAI help. Please reach out to me on 910-777-7356. Thanks
I agree sth def fishy going on…

I need a few people who failed day 2 this year to reach out to me. Already spoke with some people in ACC/SCAI. Need a group of people to write a letter to them, before they can ask ABIM questions and have them fix anything with this year’s exam result or next year’s exam. Please reach out to me on 910-777-7356 if you did poorly on day 2 this year and think there was something wrong with the exam. A few people have reached out already, need some more. Thanks
I will call u in a bit

Wont beat a dead horse, but allow me to echo what a ****ty exam this is - all the way from proportion of content tested to the way it's tested.
I passed thankfully. For those who didn't, it feels like a punch in the gut, and makes you feel like a very very small, degraded human being. This feeling will persist well into next six months. I would recommend rip it like a bandaid, and tell everyone who needs to know that you didn't pass; get it over with. Nobody should be made to feel this way, especially not hard-working, otherwise bright physicians who've done great all their lives. I say this because I've been in a similar position for other tests.

I'm here to give my meagre 2 cents on day 2 for the most part - prep ideas, and my (estimate of) coding. I didn't score as highly as some of the other folks here, but scored between 1-2 SD above mean on Day 1 and (f*ing surprisingly) almost 2SD above mean on Day 2 (makes you really wonder about this exam, seriously). Again, these are things that worked for me, may not necessarily be for you or may not necessarily be RIGHT for that matter. So be gentle.

Background: recently had finished IC fellowship at busy program. echo boarded the year prior. Scored 1SD above avg on ABIM, just a smidge above avg on echo boards.

TL;DR:
EKGs:
Cautious coding. No more than 4 findings coded for unless deathly necessary. F*k the atria. Know pathologies and patterns inside out. Know reasonable number of criteria.
Echo: Careful but not restrictive coding. Avg 4-7 findings coded for. Know pathologies inside out, try to see multiple representations of all pathologies. Apparently general cardiologists read congenital echos all day, everyday, so be prepared to be tested as such.
Cath: Let em rip. Code like a boss. Avg code variable, simply dependent on what you're seeing. Be creative (ie observant), and don't just code what you see. Code what you 'dont' see (read details below).
Misc: Don't waste time after finishing day 1. Don't cry, don't spend an hour calling people and cursing the exam, don't come on SDN to say 'wtf?!' and then wait for responses. Grab lunch, take a shower, and hit the books. A LOT of what you review last day may be tested (bias). For me, that included Card-Onc, congenital and HTN stuff. Carry on for details.

Re: Coding - EKGs
Those motha****ng EKGs.
- Stems are not very helpful unless they mention stuff that was mentioned above - dialysis, SCD presentation etc. So learn to read EKGs by looking at them, recognizing patterns, and coding accordingly. Okeefe (OK) is WAY to generous in his stems.
- I did OK (about 1/2 of the website). I did EKG source high yield EKGs only. And I listened to the mayo guys EKG video x2, once night before the exam speed x2. I also attended OK's twitter thing and marked the EKGs he mentioned were high yield. Its a LOT of them, but those you should have down pat.
- I coded MOST cautiously w/ EKGs. My rule was no more than 4 findings coded. So I always thought of it as spending a code. If I run out of codes, I'm screwed, so I only coded for something that was worth coding. In order to code for a fifth thing, I literally had to BEG myself. "Please, for f**'s sake the finding is RIGHT THERE, just one more dammit are you BLIND? This could save a goddamn life!" Only then would I grudgingly allow another code.
- With that little rule, I always coded
1a) Rate (know Ok's 16 vs 17 beats / QRS vs P-waves concept inside out - if its NOT a 100, its NOT sinus tachycardia. Mark NSR and move on with your life; on occasion I used the EP concept of HR = 60,000 / cycle length in ms to corroborate - because there were f*ing EKGs which were smack in the middle of 96-105bpm and it boiled my blood during the exam thinking I could lose or gain a point because of this ****TY distinction).
1b) and rhythm (must know Oks sinus definition and how to identify lead misplacement within that definition; practice ALL the heart blocks x2)
2) one MAIN finding (eg wenkebach)
3) one SUPPORTING finding (eg LVH)
4) one ADDITIONAL related / unrelated but obvious finding (eg LVH related ST change or axis)
If you use this process (TM) you are likely to get PASSING scores on MOST EKGs (which was literally my aim here) cos I HATE the negative marking concept
The 5th code, that I would beg myself to mark, was most frequently with multiple MIs

- You MUST know the quickies. Ie the segment in the coding sheet that has pathologies. Brugada, WPW, hypo / hyper whatever. Most of them are QUICK 2-code EKGs. Sinus rhythm, WPW, BAM - cant code ST-T waves, cant code MI, cant code bundles, f*k the atria. Done. NEXT.
- It doesn't hurt to know lots of criteria for the findings, however beware only those equipped to use those criteria appropriately should use them. Otherwise you'll be finding **** that's not there (I'm looking at you, low f*king voltage). I would posit that you know enough to know when something is glaringly obvious. That being said, you really should know a lot of the criteria and just use it sensibly. It'll help in real life too, even if this exam doesn't judge you for it.

Re: Echo coding
Lord have mercy. WTF is up w/ all the congenital.
If you're taking (or sadly, retaking) this exam, watch mayo's congenital videos x2. Night before, zoom through on mute just the clips and try to pick up the findings.
- I feel my colleagues who had just taken echo boards were a lot more comfy. One year out of boards, I was rusty and could only recall f*king ARTIFACTS which I had crammed for echo boards. They don't test artifacts on gen boards because clearly we've already acquired mastery over that petty **** and need to focus our energies on reading several congenital echos a DAY.
- Some pictures are ****ty, some are ok. You can not go clip by clip BUT you can go 'click by click', and you can slow down to 1/2 speed which helps too.
- I did Mayo echo; I did EKG source (also has echo) - did all those echos, they're pretty good, have good explanations.
- Anyway. I coded a lot more liberally with echo's. Read: liberally, not carelessly. Avg number of codes: 4-7
- Think of it as having an Interventional Fellow's salary as opposed to a Medical student doing a side-gig to survive. So I'm comfortable, but I know my limits.
1) I coded EF for MOST cases.
2) Rarely commented on LV /RV size and thickness unless it was in my face (think super dilated CM or crazy HCM or case of PE)
3) Skipped diastology unless it was relevant (think constriction etc). Don't go around f*king thinking about ****. That's not what they want you to do.
4) All valve disease was mild/mod UNLESS in your face severe
5) KNOW all the PATHOLOGIES. Go over the coding sheet and if its a disease you should know what it looks like from the front, back and upside down. In hindsight, would have reviewed the same pathology from different sources. Eg hypereosinophilia look at the mayo echo, look at EKG source's echo, then look at youtube or something for the same thing so that you can recognize it in your sleep
6) Time moves a LOT FASTER during the ECHO section. Still have jitters from when I realized how much little time I had left mid-way through echos.

Re: Cath coding
Step aside b*chs, DADDY's home.
I kid you not, I coded like there was no tomorrow. I scored the best here compared to the other two. So being at 2SD, it makes me REALLY wonder - was there MORE to be coded that I didn't code for?! (doubt it, but who knows) or did I lose out on some points by overcoding (more likely). Regardless, i'll take the W.
- Eg, Prox LAD disease? code it. Circ ostially occluded? code it. RCA no disease, mid-RCA stent patent, gives collaterals to circ and LAD, code it, code it and code it baby.
- The RULE I had for CATH CODING was simple: its the worst thing(S) about each vessel. This statement is more profound than you think. You have to body-shame the **** out of EACH vessel as MUCH as you can, legally.

For example: they ONLY show a LIMA being injected, that's attached to the distal LAD that has good runoff to the apex, and flows partially retrogradely too. No disease anywhere in the distal LAD or in the graft. DONT just code "Bypass graft - LAD" and move on, because that's all you can technically code on the coding sheet from what's being shown. But, for f*k's sake, the worst thing(S) about each vessel. You need to be a bit more creative. Look at everything. Why did the vessel not fill retrograde all the way to the LM? Why did it stop mid-way? Mid-LAD is probably obstructed. Boom, code 'Total occlusion - LAD'. Is there a stent hanging in what should be the LAD and there's no retrograde filling through it? Boom, code 'Stent: occluded - LAD'. Are there collaterals from apical LAD filling the RPDA? Boom, code it.

If this same vessel filled retrogradely to the LM but had ****ty tight diffuse mLAD disease and didn't fill towards the circ? BODY SHAME EVERY VESSEL. LAD is ****ty, code severe stenosis - LAD. Why is there no flow down the circ? Total occlusion - LCx. Are there collaterals going from LAD to mid-Circ however there's a stent in proximal circ? Collaterals - Circ. Stent-occluded - LCx, code it and code it.

- Of course these are just made up examples. Point is, code everything you see. Now if you're not good with cath films, I hear EKG source has cath films too. Do those a bunch of times and code big picture, you will PASS cath section.
- I can not emphasize how important it is to REVISIT the cath images once you're done coding all.
- Every time I did a second look, I found something more to body shame. Special shout out to myocardial bridging - brought to you by the makers of gen boards who seem to be just fascinated by bridges, the least f*king consequential finding in cath. But you'll see it, and you'll catch it and you'll send over a big f*kyougram by coding it. Because if a general cardiologist ever misses a myocardial bridge on a cath film, alas, all is lost. All is lost...

Misc Tips:
- Day/evening before the exam is VERY crucial, do NOT waste your time, grab a quick lunch and hit the books again. Have a running (realistic) list of things you want to eyeball / review quickly during your prep and cross it out as you go. I saw a LOT of stuff on day 1 AND 2 which I would've just guessed if I hadn't reviewed.
- As per standard advice, know the coding sheetS (plural) inside out. You will get stressed, and strained for time, and you will stare at the clock ticking while you keep hunting for the right code (I know cos I f*ing did that), and you will curse yourself for not knowing the sheet better. Particularly for echo.
- Some EKGs have movable calipers. Some don't. People say don't waste time with calipers. I would say become really really familiar with using them so that you're facile enough to use em during the exam without wasting time. They helped me root out some wenkebachs and flutters here and there.

This went longer than intended. Apologies. Will create a TLDR.
Remember - "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill
Good luck

Reactions: 4 users
The worst part is they make you take both day 1 and day 2 all over again so you have to study everything over again. If you showed competency and passed one of the 2 days should be allowed to retake just the day you failed.

Can others who did really well on day 2 keep posting tips and advice on coding just so we can see if there are consensus patterns to coding. Can't believe how much day 2 depends on coding then actual knowledge.

The worst part is they make you take both day 1 and day 2 all over again so you have to study everything over again. If you showed competency and passed one of the 2 days should be allowed to retake just the day you failed.
That rule does not make any more sense then making more money

I am happy to hear how people who passed day 2 coded. But after talking to others who failed day 2 this year, doesn’t make any sense. We all coded identical to our colleagues and got all the big diagnoses. Day 2 was not hard. Not sure how ABIM is failing people, but doesnt sound like a knowledge or coding issue to me after talking with others

I am happy to hear how people who passed day 2 coded. But after talking to others who failed day 2 this year, doesn’t make any sense. We all coded identical to our colleagues and got all the big diagnoses. Day 2 was not hard. Not sure how ABIM is failing people, but doesnt sound like a knowledge or coding issue to me after talking with others

Yeah it's all about coding which NO ONE knows for sure how to code which is why we need everyone who did well on day 2 to share how they coded. Unfortunately it seems the questions are not equally graded..i.e. if it's deemed an easy question (i.e. high percentage of prior test takers got it right) and you don't get it exactly right you're dinged more for it than say a question that was deemed hard. That's how they base those percentiles and use that to calculate your overall score. It's not straightforward as a percent correct.

It seems like I failed the echo part. I am going to be reading an echo textbook, echo review questions and do Mayo echo board review videos. Would that be enough?

It seems like I failed the echo part. I am going to be reading an echo textbook, echo review questions and do Mayo echo board review videos. Would that be enough?
Have you taken echo boards? I took echo boards a year before gen boards and it mostly prepared me. Had to revisit some of the more obscure congenital stuff but the meat and potatoes are the same.

My 2 cents on the board. Passed significantly above average.

Total study time about 2-3 months while doing a busy IC fellowship. ITEs were below average, in the 30-40 percentile range (didn’t intentionally study for them either). Took echo board the year prior.

Study materials- ACCSAP 2x , Mayo videos 1 pass and EKGsource (finished about 60%) only.

Went over ACCSAP twice during the study period. I would 50 questions at a time, untimed and go over them right away. I did 2-3 set of those questions a week to avoid burn out. I thought this was enough for the day 1. On the days I didn’t do questions, I would watch Mayo videos casually, no notes and just watch and try to absorb and integrate the information. I think trying to take meticulous note take way too much time and I really want to use the time to integrate the information. The Mayo videos were not as useful as I thought but some of the higher yield ones were the congenital stuff and EP section.

For day 2
Angio- I’m an IC fellow so I felt pretty confident with the anatomy and graft cases. I only coded severe if it’s truly severe I.e 90% lesions. Didn’t code any moderate or mild lesion. For graft case, I didn’t code the native vessel and only coded the graft courses. Make sure you can recognize post MI VSR, both RAO and LAO vgrams etc.

EKG- the best advice I can give for this section is to keep it simple. They want you to code the code that they don’t want you to miss the diagnosis in real life. I coded no more than 2 on any EKGs on the real test. For example, if it’s an inferior wall MI and borderline tachycardiac and with maybe a left atrial enlargement, all I coded was inferior wall MI. I would rather take 5/7 points possible doing this way than take potentially 2/7 if i overcoded. Surprisingly, a lot of the EKGs on the test had a HR between 90-100. Make sure to be familiar with CRTs, ICDs and heart blocks. Avoid OKeefe EKGs, if we all coded the way that answer key was showing I have no double we all would have failed.

Echo- I did echo board so this section I barely studied. The Mayo video on echo coding was very high yield. I didn’t code any EFs unless it was obvious global low EF and or taktsubo type of echo. I used the same strategy as I did for EKG- keep it simple and consistent with the overarching diagnosis.

Good luck
It’s not a fair test but it’s totally doable!

My 2 cents on the board. Passed significantly above average.

Total study time about 2-3 months while doing a busy IC fellowship. ITEs were below average, in the 30-40 percentile range (didn’t intentionally study for them either). Took echo board the year prior.

Study materials- ACCSAP 2x , Mayo videos 1 pass and EKGsource (finished about 60%) only.

Went over ACCSAP twice during the study period. I would 50 questions at a time, untimed and go over them right away. I did 2-3 set of those questions a week to avoid burn out. I thought this was enough for the day 1. On the days I didn’t do questions, I would watch Mayo videos casually, no notes and just watch and try to absorb and integrate the information. I think trying to take meticulous note take way too much time and I really want to use the time to integrate the information. The Mayo videos were not as useful as I thought but some of the higher yield ones were the congenital stuff and EP section.

For day 2
Angio- I’m an IC fellow so I felt pretty confident with the anatomy and graft cases. I only coded severe if it’s truly severe I.e 90% lesions. Didn’t code any moderate or mild lesion. For graft case, I didn’t code the native vessel and only coded the graft courses. Make sure you can recognize post MI VSR, both RAO and LAO vgrams etc.

EKG- the best advice I can give for this section is to keep it simple. They want you to code the code that they don’t want you to miss the diagnosis in real life. I coded no more than 2 on any EKGs on the real test. For example, if it’s an inferior wall MI and borderline tachycardiac and with maybe a left atrial enlargement, all I coded was inferior wall MI. I would rather take 5/7 points possible doing this way than take potentially 2/7 if i overcoded. Surprisingly, a lot of the EKGs on the test had a HR between 90-100. Make sure to be familiar with CRTs, ICDs and heart blocks. Avoid OKeefe EKGs, if we all coded the way that answer key was showing I have no double we all would have failed.

Echo- I did echo board so this section I barely studied. The Mayo video on echo coding was very high yield. I didn’t code any EFs unless it was obvious global low EF and or taktsubo type of echo. I used the same strategy as I did for EKG- keep it simple and consistent with the overarching diagnosis.

Good luck
It’s not a fair test but it’s totally doable!
This is how I coded. I did two standard deviations below on ekg and echo.

This is how I coded. I did two standard deviations below on ekg and echo.

Thats how I coded also and got the 2 standard deviations below as well for echo, 1 SD below for ECG and angiograms despite being IC. I did not find day 2 hard but clearly did not do well. I did well on day 1. I tried to keep it simple and only code for obvious diagnosis and I did not do well. I honestly thought I would pass.

Anyone who failed day 2 previously and then passed the next year? What did you do differently for your 2nd attempt?

My scenario is different I failed day 2 last year and this year failed day 1 and did well on day 2..so very lost

Sorry to hear that. This is a terrible exam and not reflective of our capabilities. We wouldn't have gotten this far if that was the case--we have jumped through many many hopes already. What did you do differently for day 2 to get a pass? I'm assuming you focused more on day 2 this time around at expense of studying for day 1?

Sorry to hear that. This is a terrible exam and not reflective of our capabilities. We wouldn't have gotten this far if that was the case--we have jumped through many many hopes already. What did you do differently for day 2 to get a pass? I'm assuming you focused more on day 2 this time around at expense of studying for day 1?
Yes I had passed day one with ease first time around..like near average..not sure what happened this time..I had given it time but surely not enough…

For day 2..for ekg I coded less then last year with at the most 2-3 things..never missed the bid diagnosis and small things I would code only if I har not coded 2-3 things already…knew all the diagnosis on the echo and Cath sheet which I lacked last year..did better at Cath as well as I got used to looking at more Cath this year..

Thats how I coded also and got the 2 standard deviations below as well for echo, 1 SD below for ECG and angiograms despite being IC. I did not find day 2 hard but clearly did not do well. I did well on day 1. I tried to keep it simple and only code for obvious diagnosis and I did not do well. I honestly thought I would pass.
Yes, there’s definitely something wrong with how they reported our day 2 scores. Know so many people who did not know all the echos and they passed above average scores. I knew almost all ecg’s echos and caths and got less than 2 sd below mean.. i didnt overcode.. obviously very fishy