Post-pandemic cardiology salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mighty_MD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there are threads from the past about salary, but I'm more interested in the salary trend in 2022 coming out of the pandemic. There are all sorts of pressures that affect salary from supply and demand dynamics to decisions made at the federal level in the Centers of Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) agency. I've heard speculation by colleagues that is both favorable and unfavorable for our future salary. I'm interested in your thoughts and your salaries.

I graduated fellowship this past June and recently started an employed position as a general invasive cardiologist in a small city in the midwest Great Lakes region. I have a guaranteed base salary of 550k for two years. After that, I'll take home $62 per wRVU. There's no cap. So if I produce 10,000 wRVUs then I make 620k and if I produce 13,000 wRVUs then I make 806k. I also got a 50k sign on bonus. Nearly half of my colleagues here are near retirement age. They're really gonna need a few more guys in 3 years from now.

I had other offers which were similar in Michigan, Wisconsin, and Ohio. My lowest offer was a 460k base from the institution where I did my fellowship, although they came up to 500k after negotiation. My highest offer was a 580k with a 100k sign on bonus. I ultimately took the job I did because I liked the location and the work environment seemed good. One funny and frustrating thing is that my home institution ended up raising the base salary for their cardiologists after they low-balled me and I walked away because they had been having poor recruitment over the last few years. Also, most of the recruiters or cardiology service line directors at institutions where I interviewed for a general cardiology position told me that they are expecting a mass exodus of cardiologist in the next 3 to 5 years because they are at retirement age.

What salary offers are you getting?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anybody have the 2022 MGMA salary and wRVU data for cardiology?

Prolly around the same. Check nejmcareercenter, doc cafe, healthecareers. Control F then dollar sign

Members don't see this ad :)
550 base likely creeping into the 600s with total package is pretty average in my area. I think that is a reasonable target for a general cards guy. If you get 700k plus you’ve found a really good (paying) job. Below 500 and you’re getting screwed.

It would be nice if we can make a table like the one for the fellowship applications, where we list where people work and salaries. And have a place to lists pros/cons/red flags/visa sponsorship etc. Does anyone know how to do this?

I know there are threads from the past about salary, but I'm more interested in the salary trend in 2022 coming out of the pandemic. There are all sorts of pressures that affect salary from supply and demand dynamics to decisions made at the federal level in the Centers of Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) agency. I've heard speculation by colleagues that is both favorable and unfavorable for our future salary. I'm interested in your thoughts and your salaries.

I graduated fellowship this past June and recently started an employed position as a general invasive cardiologist in a small city in the midwest Great Lakes region. I have a guaranteed base salary of 550k for two years. After that, I'll take home $62 per wRVU. There's no cap. So if I produce 10,000 wRVUs then I make 620k and if I produce 13,000 wRVUs then I make 806k. I also got a 50k sign on bonus. Nearly half of my colleagues here are near retirement age. They're really gonna need a few more guys in 3 years from now.

I had other offers which were similar in Michigan, Wisconsin, and Ohio. My lowest offer was a 460k base from the institution where I did my fellowship, although they came up to 500k after negotiation. My highest offer was a 580k with a 100k sign on bonus. I ultimately took the job I did because I liked the location and the work environment seemed good. One funny and frustrating thing is that my home institution ended up raising the base salary for their cardiologists after they low-balled me and I walked away because they had been having poor recruitment over the last few years. Also, most of the recruiters or cardiology service line directors at institutions where I interviewed for a general cardiology position told me that they are expecting a mass exodus of cardiologist in the next 3 to 5 years because they are at retirement age.

What salary offers are you getting?
I think that's a pretty good offer. I will finish IC fellowship next year and signed a job in TX. wRVU rate is $65.75 + a $2 quality bonus.

I don't know if there is a difference between GC and IC with regards to the wRVU rate.

Reactions: 1 user
I think that's a pretty good offer. I will finish IC fellowship next year and signed a job in TX. wRVU rate is $65.75 + a $2 quality bonus.

I don't know if there is a difference between GC and IC with regards to the wRVU rate.

The median wRVU rate for general cards is $62-64/wRVU according to 2019 MGMA data. I have not seen the more recent MGMA data.

Does anybody have access to 2022 MGMA data?

The median wRVU rate for general cards is $62-64/wRVU according to 2019 MGMA data. I have not seen the more recent MGMA data.

Does anybody have access to 2022 MGMA data?

I personally don't.

I started IC this year, had few offers including AZ (550k plus bonus and 25k signing), FL (510 plus bonus and 20k signing). Ended up with my current practice 410k plus 15k bonus and option to move to production at 67 per RVU after 1-1.5 year due to work life balance, big metropolitan city, amazing partners, good school systems. Overall, very happy with my choice. Job hunting can be stressful but you should really ask yourself what your priorities are and what will make you happy in the long run. And just be honest about what you want at the end of the day. Also run your finances to see how much your monthly income should be. They say live like a resident but we’ve been in the minimum wage line for so many years during training that we deserve to buy some nice stuff.
But remember no practice will allow you to make 70-90% MGMA while being in a metropolitan city and you being able to take every Friday afternoon off. Usually if you want to make good chunk of change from the start, they’ll want you to work for it especially in big/populated metropolitan areas

Reactions: 2 users
I started IC this year, had few offers including AZ (550k plus bonus and 25k signing), FL (510 plus bonus and 20k signing). Ended up with my current practice 410k plus 15k bonus and option to move to production at 67 per RVU after 1-1.5 year due to work life balance, big metropolitan city, amazing partners, good school systems. Overall, very happy with my choice. Job hunting can be stressful but you should really ask yourself what your priorities are and what will make you happy in the long run. And just be honest about what you want at the end of the day. Also run your finances to see how much your monthly income should be. They say live like a resident but we’ve been in the minimum wage line for so many years during training that we deserve to buy some nice stuff.
But remember no practice will allow you to make 70-90% MGMA while being in a metropolitan city and you being able to take every Friday afternoon off. Usually if you want to make good chunk of change from the start, they’ll want you to work for it especially in big/populated metropolitan areas
Hi Eden-Dar)le4 , I will be starting my HF next year, can you give me some tips how you landed an offer. Did you contacted the institutions yourself or used a headhunter.

Holy crapula! Is that what post-pandemic salaries are like now in rural areas? That blows away the average salary of basically any specialty pre-pandemic. These numbers are from 2019/2020 I think and no specialty even comes close: How Much Do Doctors Make in An Hour (Breakdown By Specialty) - Prep For Med School

Congrats on the offer!
i'm 410k+production+bonus (average salary after 3 years is >600k) in a metropolitan area; medscape woefully underestimates what the going rate is for cardiology.

Reactions: 1 users
Holy crapula! Is that what post-pandemic salaries are like now in rural areas? That blows away the average salary of basically any specialty pre-pandemic. These numbers are from 2019/2020 I think and no specialty even comes close: How Much Do Doctors Make in An Hour (Breakdown By Specialty) - Prep For Med School

Congrats on the offer!

Medscape is trash. MGMA is sort of the “gold standard” . 2 year old numbers in the link below.

Hi Eden-Dar)le4 , I will be starting my HF next year, can you give me some tips how you landed an offer. Did you contacted the institutions yourself or used a headhunter.
Sorry for such a late reply. I don't usually check this much. I used a headhunter initially but I actually ended up taking my current permanent job that my mentor introduced me to. He knew my current partner and it's been one of my best decisions. I would suggest taking as many looks as you can, see what your work-life balance is like. Try to be brutally honest with yourself in what you want after your fellowship. If you truly think it's money, then you gotta focus on that. If you're ok sacrificing a little pay while obtaining work-life balance for your family, then try to hunt out practices that have the same values as you. In the end, it's about the culture of the practice and the partners you work with.