Cardiology service-line directorship salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mighty_MD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was recently asked to take on the role of cardiology service-line director at my institution. What is the expected pay for a cardiology service-line director?

I was told that the pay was 30K for the position, which is in addition to my base salary and clinical responsibilities. When I received the contact, it was 18K. I know, typical hospital administration antics.

My impression is that the position typically pays 30-50K.

Can anybody provide real numbers?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

I was recently asked to take on the role of cardiology service-line director at my institution. What is the expected pay for a cardiology service-line director?

I was told that the pay was 30K for the position, which is in addition to my base salary and clinical responsibilities. When I received the contact, it was 18K. I know, typical hospital administration antics.

My impression is that the position typically pays 30-50K.

Can anybody provide real numbers?
I'm not in cards, but I suspect things are similar across sub-specialties.

It definitely depends on the type of practice setting and the duties required. Some service-line directors are just there to sit in a few meetings a month. Others are expected to actually do work.

In my immediate past position, managing 5 clinics and ~15 physicians, I was paid $30K as medical director. It also involved interfacing with 2 different hospital systems that supposedly were aligned, but rarely actually were.

In my new position (starting in 3 weeks), I will be paid $50K to manage a single clinic and 2 physicians (one of whom is me) and 1 NP.

Reactions: 1 user
I’ve seen 25-50k with many places going to no stipend with admin work paid hourly (which almost never makes sense financially for the doc imo)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I wanted to provide an update. I had a meeting with the administration at my institution and informed them that I would be more than happy to let somebody else take on the role unless I received fair market compensation. There are several responsibilities that I would have to take on and cut into my clinical time. Three days later they amended the contract to the original stated amount of 30k annual compensation.

Reactions: 1 users