Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They answered me pretty quickly when I contacted. "Most if not all deferred students will be offered by late June/ early July"...

Also said they would be releasing students from the bottom of the waitlist very soon. "As long as you don't get one of those letters then you have a shot"

Granted I was put on this waitlist the earliest out of all the ones I am on now, but it looks like I probably have the lowest shot at this school. It didn't really make me feel better but if it helps somebody it was worth posting. I just like getting emails back from them because it means at least they are paying general attention to the fact that I exist
You don't know your ranking on the WL so stay positive. No one does and you have an advantage of being competitive if you have to reapply because you had an interview and have a sense of school and faculty on what they are looking for.

Members don't see this ad.

They answered me pretty quickly when I contacted. "Most if not all deferred students will be offered by late June/ early July"...

Also said they would be releasing students from the bottom of the waitlist very soon. "As long as you don't get one of those letters then you have a shot"

Granted I was put on this waitlist the earliest out of all the ones I am on now, but it looks like I probably have the lowest shot at this school. It didn't really make me feel better but if it helps somebody it was worth posting. I just like getting emails back from them because it means at least they are paying general attention to the fact that I exist

What do you mean by, "those letters?"

I left Adrian a voice mail a few days ago asking about WL movement. I'll let y'all know what he says when he responds.

He just called back today and said that the waitlist is starting to move now. They're almost done with the DA list and expect people to come off the WL all the way up until the white coat ceremony in august

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
He just called back today and said that the waitlist is starting to move now. They're almost done with the DA list and expect people to come off the WL all the way up until the white coat ceremony in august

Did he clarify how the wait list was moving? As in people were getting pulled off? Or released? Or just moving up the queue?

Reactions: 1 users
Did he clarify how the wait list was moving? As in people were getting pulled off? Or released? Or just moving up the queue?
It's most likely moving up the queue because I'm still on DA. A lot of the DA don't accept the offer.

I'm also on the DA list and haven't heard anything yet, though I am definitely getting prepared to move on short notice.

For the laptop, it doesn't matter what computer you have before starting school. Even if you already have the same exact model the school requires, you'll be required to pay for the one the school distributes to you. You can't opt out. We had surface books this last year. Chances are that you'll have the same laptop/tablet hybrid we got this past year. If not that then maybe the surface pro 4. But like it's been mentioned here already, some people will prefer to use their own personal laptop from before med school. About 90% of the time I use my macbook. Really the only time when I use my school issued laptop is when we're testing and when I need to print stuff out. Any other time and you'll probably catch me using my macbook.

What do you mean by, "those letters?"
I was quoting what he said to me but I'm not sure if he means like a literal letter in the mail or just some form of communication about being rejected off the waitlist. He meant you have a shot as long as somebody doesn't contact you saying you're rejected

I was quoting what he said to me but I'm not sure if he means like a literal letter in the mail or just some form of communication about being rejected off the waitlist. He meant you have a shot as long as somebody doesn't contact you saying you're rejected
I was told the same.

He said that they'll start offering admission to the people on the top of the waitlist soon. But he didn't say exactly when so I'm not sure about the timeline.

That post is correct to an extent. The reality is a lower board score from Harvard will do better than the same score from BCOM (or ANY DO school, that is). You can make up for a lot with a good board score. As far as the education...I'd say that's probably equal. The human body doesn't work differently at BCOM than it does at Harvard or Hopkins, or UNM, or any of the UC schools. It will contribute, to an extent, to your residency apps.

The reality is, coming out of a DO program...program directors don't know as much about them. There aren't very many DO programs that have a lot of notoriety amongst residencies so...it is what it is.
Now. If you get into Harvard and BCOM and don't go to Harvard...I mean...come on.
It depends on the individual and what people consider most important in their life. I know a student waited for one year, did research, published papers during the gap year and got into harvard medical school. She had 4.0 gpa, could have joined some other school instead of taking a gap year, but considered going to harvard most important in her life. For me even if I get in harvard I would prefer prefer Burrell due to the culture which I givee most importance.

Last edited:
I'm also on the DA list and haven't heard anything yet, though I am definitely getting prepared to move on short notice.
If you hop off, be sure to reach out to students on the 2021 page so you can set up temporarily lodging if need be. Everyone is really helpful, you'll be fine. best of luck to you!

Has anyone heard anything new about the DA or waitlist status?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard anything new about the DA or waitlist status?
No news, I'm on DA. I was told first invoices went out this past Monday, which hopefully caused some withdraws.

Is there anyone who knows of any cheap health insurance or a way to get covered besides obamacare?

For those of you still on the DA list, would you accept the offer or do you have other offers that you prefer?

For those curious, I talked to Adrian yesterday and he said he had 10 spots open in the class right now, and he expects 8-10 to withdraw this weekend, so by next week he will offer about 20 spots. There are currently 40 people on the DA list still

Reactions: 3 users
For those curious, I talked to Adrian yesterday and he said he had 10 spots open in the class right now, and he expects 8-10 to withdraw this weekend, so by next week he will offer about 20 spots. There are currently 40 people on the DA list still
Thanks for the info. current DA list seems to be still high, any comment from anyone? Hopefully this would be done by the end of June before WL gets pulled, any input from Adrian on when WL is expected to be pulled..

Last edited:
Hopefully only 20/40 will accept their seat on the DA
I'm on DA and wait listed at another school and I'm hoping for a seat at BCOM. Overall I like the area and school better and it's closer to home (2 hour vs 5.5 hour flight).

I'm on DA and wait listed at another school and I'm hoping for a seat at BCOM. Overall I like the area and school better and it's closer to home (2 hour vs 5.5 hour flight).
I am in WL only at Burrell. If I get here I will join for sure.

Last edited:
Anyone know how many people are left on the DA?

Still on the list, expecting/hoping for a call this week. I have a POD being delivered to my house on the 8th...I'm starting to feel the pressure!:nailbiting:

what is POD?

ewf-lms.jpg

Has anyone been pulled from the DA list this week? Also, any update on the number of people remaining?

Still on the list, expecting/hoping for a call this week. I have a POD being delivered to my house on the 8th...I'm starting to feel the pressure!:nailbiting:
do you hypothetically have a house in cruces already?

I was told at the end of last week that there were high 40's on the list, but 10 spots opened up so basically high 30's after they get the offers which will happen this week.

do you hypothetically have a house in cruces already?

No, but that is second on my list after I apply for financing. Which is part of the reason I am paying for a POD, just in case I need to keep all of my stuff in storage while I find a place. I've got a wife, 2 small kids and a 3 bedroom house, so I have to be extra prepared. If I was single it wouldn't be as big of a deal.

I was told at the end of last week that there were high 40's on the list, but 10 spots opened up so basically high 30's after they get the offers which will happen this week.
The DA list stays in 30s or 40s since last month. Adrian would be the best bet to talk to.

Last edited:
When is the tuition due for those accepted? That is when the most people will drop because those people will not pay

Can someone please try contacting Adrian to check on the status of the DA list? I've been having trouble getting a hold of him.

Hey guys just a heads up, I called admissions this week asking if there was any movement to the waitlist, and the lady on the phone responded with "we're not expecting as much movement in the waitlist as we did last year. The director should be sending an email out to those on the list by the end of the month about the status of the list."

I'm assuming she was implying that the class is almost full and there won't be any waitlist movement this year. That's all the information I've got.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys just a heads up, I called admissions this week asking if there was any movement to the waitlist, and the lady on the phone responded with "we're not expecting as much movement in the waitlist as we did last year. The director should be sending an email out to those on the list by the end of the month about the status of the list."

I'm assuming she was implying that the class is almost full and there won't be any waitlist movement this year. That's all the information I've got.
Bad news guys. Last year from the old thread I see people were picked from WL as well as DA list, vacillating between the two lists based on some criteria. Not sure of it is true..

Last edited:
The admissions office is friendly, but they're also very busy. They will update with solid information as soon as they are able. The only information you can truly ACT on is an acceptance or a denial. They could have two people on the waitlist, and that doesn't mean there will be movement. I know it's frustrating (been there), but the best thing you can do right now is wait. If you haven't started, I would suggest using this time to prep for next cycle, it will keep you busy and it's a valuable use of your time while you wait.

The admissions office is friendly, but they're also very busy. They will update with solid information as soon as they are able. The only information you can truly ACT on is an acceptance or a denial. They could have two people on the waitlist, and that doesn't mean there will be movement. I know it's frustrating (been there), but the best thing you can do right now is wait. If you haven't started, I would suggest using this time to prep for next cycle, it will keep you busy and it's a valuable use of your time while you wait.
any one from DA list pulled last week

I was on the DA list and got my offer today! Good luck to everyone on the DA and waitlist. Hopefully see you guys soon!

How long do they give you to accept the offer? Just wondering because hopefully more spots open up if people decline the offer.

Has anyone talked to Adrian recently on the DA list status. Thanks guys..
How long do they give you to accept the offer? Just wondering because hopefully more spots open up if people decline the offer.
agree

Last edited:
I feel like the DA list is never ending lol. Do they have 48 hours to accept?