Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There is not much that says "I have a small dick" quite like this post does! To go to the effort of creating an account and spending the time to write that post, how pathetic! I guarantee that the guy who wrote that post has a chip on his shoulder because he is a 30 year old virgin who spent his teen years getting shoved in lockers, get a life bro!

When I interviewed at Burrell I instantly fell in love with the school and the fact that it is a new program and they have an innovative spirit! I could not be more excited about being apart of the BCOM class of 2021!

You could have left the top part out as it was completely unnecessary, adds nothing to your argument, and completely unprofessional.

Please refrain from personal attacks, insults, call outs and stick with the topic at hand.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So anyways -

That DA list though... am I right? :3

Anyone just sort of excited for school? :]

Reactions: 1 users
Last time I talked to Adrian was about 2.5 weeks ago and at that point there were still 75 people on the DA list. It started with around 150. I don't know what's happened in the last couple of weeks bough as far as numbers.
I thought there were going to be less on DA this year not twice. Hmm

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought there were going to be less on DA this year not twice. Hmm
Yeah there was supposed to be less. That's what Adrian had initially told me. It's kind of frustrating, but nothing we can do about it now!

I just really find it upsetting that many programs refuse to release where you are on the waitlist or deferred list. Do they not understand that many students have their lives on hold for months waiting for an answer. At least if you know that you are close, you can start making financial/moving arrangements. I know this is a stressful time for everyone on the DA and WL but I hope you're more patient than I am lol. Good luck!

If there is more on the DA that might mean they expect a lot of people to drop their seats
Hopefully by now AACOM would have disclosed the list of students with multiple admissions to all medical schools for the schools to take the necessary action..

Last edited:
I just really find it upsetting that many programs refuse to release where you are on the waitlist or deferred list. Do they not understand that many students have their lives on hold for months waiting for an answer. At least if you know that you are close, you can start making financial/moving arrangements. I know this is a stressful time for everyone on the DA and WL but I hope you're more patient than I am lol. Good luck!
Having played that game myself, I get it.

It's incredibly frustrating.

Understand that the school's can't release that information. Everything is in a pretty constant state of flux. I realize it sucks to potentially have to drop everything and run at the last minute. However, plenty of students at every single medical school in the country do that every year. Being unprepared and moving to a new place at the very last minute with next to no support network is an incredibly small price to pay for taking the first step in the career you've worked so hard for.

God forbid you're one of those that needs to make a last minute move, hit up the current/accepted students. You'll be amazed at how supportive and helpful everyone is. Once you start, you're a part of that fraternity, and for the most part we help each other out.

Yeah there was supposed to be less. That's what Adrian had initially told me. It's kind of frustrating, but nothing we can do about it now!
For what it's worth, Adrian told me earlier this month that he anticipates all DA students to be pulled by end of June. And to keep in mind that this is a student driven process.

For what it's worth, Adrian told me earlier this month that he anticipates all DA students to be pulled by end of June. And to keep in mind that this is a student driven process.
any one recently talked to Adrian on the current status of DA list and wait list? hopefully interview process is done.

There is not much that says "I have a small dick" quite like this post does! To go to the effort of creating an account and spending the time to write that post, how pathetic! I guarantee that the guy who wrote that post has a chip on his shoulder because he is a 30 year old virgin who spent his teen years getting shoved in lockers, get a life bro!

When I interviewed at Burrell I instantly fell in love with the school and the fact that it is a new program and they have an innovative spirit! I could not be more excited about being apart of the BCOM class of 2021!

Just because you don't agree with him or his post doesn't mean you're justified in making your post. Also, let's be honest here, you wouldn't be super excited and getting defensive of the school if it wasn't where you're matriculating. I was accepted to BCOM in October and while I was ecstatic about being accepted I was apprehensive of going to a brand new program. Take a unbiased look at the program and the struggles it's likely to face before getting defensive and proclaiming it a rising star.

Just because you don't agree with him or his post doesn't mean you're justified in making your post. Also, let's be honest here, you wouldn't be super excited and getting defensive of the school if it wasn't where you're matriculating. I was accepted to BCOM in October and while I was ecstatic about being accepted I was apprehensive of going to a brand new program. Take a unbiased look at the program and the struggles it's likely to face before getting defensive and proclaiming it a rising star.
Your residency slot is mostly determined by your step 1 board scores (both COMLEX and USMLE) and your letters of recommendation. Grades are thirdly important, then tied for fourth place is the reputation of the school and your class rank. If going to an academic residency is so important to you, you should have gone MD. Most residency programs that regularly admit DOs won't place too much weight on what school you went to. e.g., if your scores are tied with someone from KCOM and you went to BCOM, you'll both likely get an interview invite. Maybe you won't, but after you're through the door, it's all on you. Don't expect KCU COM to make you superior to anyone in the DO world, because it doesn't. Likewise, don't expect going to BCOM or any other new XCOM to hold you back... If you're a good student, you'll get in somewhere where you'll be happy.

... as for that guy who kicked the hornets nest a few posts above, yes, Deans and school faculty do monitor this website. And they probably know who you are. I have reasons to believe that the schools work with the staff here at SDN. If true, they can trace your IP address where you log on back to your house. Coupled with the fact that many of you have posted your MCAT scores, GPA, and much of your ECs, please note that you are NOT anonymous here. Sober up before you post, or you could find your acceptance withdrawn.

Rule of thumb on social media: don't post ANYTHING you wouldn't show the Dean to his/her face.

Members don't see this ad :)
if an acceptance is withdrawn bc something is posted here, I smell a lawsuit since there is no way to prove anyone put anything on the internet.

Your residency slot is mostly determined by your step 1 board scores (both COMLEX and USMLE) and your letters of recommendation. Grades are thirdly important, then tied for fourth place is the reputation of the school and your class rank. If going to an academic residency is so important to you, you should have gone MD. Most residency programs that regularly admit DOs won't place too much weight on what school you went to. e.g., if your scores are tied with someone from KCOM and you went to BCOM, you'll both likely get an interview invite. Maybe you won't, but after you're through the door, it's all on you. Don't expect KCU COM to make you superior to anyone in the DO world, because it doesn't. Likewise, don't expect going to BCOM or any other new XCOM to hold you back... If you're a good student, you'll get in somewhere where you'll be happy.

... as for that guy who kicked the hornets nest a few posts above, yes, Deans and school faculty do monitor this website. And they probably know who you are. I have reasons to believe that the schools work with the staff here at SDN. If true, they can trace your IP address where you log on back to your house. Coupled with the fact that many of you have posted your MCAT scores, GPA, and much of your ECs, please note that you are NOT anonymous here. Sober up before you post, or you could find your acceptance withdrawn.

Rule of thumb on social media: don't post ANYTHING you wouldn't show the Dean to his/her face.

Never said KCU was "superior" only said BCOM is new and there are draw backs to going to a new school regardless if you'd like to acknowledge that or not.

have reasons to believe that the schools work with the staff here at SDN. If true, they can trace your IP address where you log on back to your house. Coupled with the fact that many of you have posted your MCAT scores, GPA, and much of your ECs, please note that you are NOT anonymous here. Sober up before you post, or you could find your acceptance withdrawn.

Anonymity is kept to high regard with the SDN team. So the above is incorrect.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Getting into a discussion on the pro's and cons of each school isn't necessarily something that should happen on this thread. If you want to get into that...it's a constant highlight on almost every school page, get your kicks there.

I think SDN does it's absolute best to respect everyone's privacy, but you can get a decent sense of who's who based on how they write and what they write.

We're getting down the rabbit hole here. Instead of already thinking defensively, let's just not be ridiculous online and it's a non-issue. The reality is that the second you matriculate to medical school...your world is not the same. You don't get the luxury of conducting yourself like a ***** in your private life, then putting on a smile for your professional life. Those lines blur extraordinarily fast once you enter this profession.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know when the drug screening needs to be done? I might be out of the country and I'm waiting to hear back from BCOM.
Also what type of test is it (hair, saliva, ect). I don't do anything just FYI lol but I do take adderal which was prescribed. Thanks!

Does anyone know when the drug screening needs to be done? I might be out of the country and I'm waiting to hear back from BCOM.
Also what type of test is it (hair, saliva, ect). I don't do anything just FYI lol but I do take adderal which was prescribed. Thanks!

That information will be sent to you, and if you are going to be out of the country, respond to them ASAP so that they can address the scheduling. As long as you can document your prescription you have nothing to worry about.

• Submit Information for Criminal Background Check and drug screening - due by July 1st.
Everything is on your admissions checklist. It's a urine test and checks for basically anything and everything from the list of things I saw on mine.

Just got pulled off deferred list. Anyone have the matricilant facebook group page info please?

Just got pulled off deferred list. Anyone have the matricilant facebook group page info please?
congratulations on your acceptance! Enjoy your summer, relax, read, catch up with friends, and be ready to get to work in August!

Does anyone know how we are supposed to confirm that we have insurance? Like are we just supposed to like take a picture of an insurance card and email it to them or what?

Does anyone know how we are supposed to confirm that we have insurance? Like are we just supposed to like take a picture of an insurance card and email it to them or what?

They told me that would not work. Call your insurance company and ask for a "Proof of Coverage" letter to be emailed to you. It should have your company, insurance #, date paid through, etc. After they do that, just upload as a PDF onto the applicant portal.

Another question.... do you guys know when and how we tell them what size of white coat we will need for the white coat ceremony?

Another question.... do you guys know when and how we tell them what size of white coat we will need for the white coat ceremony?
you could probably ask the current students on the BCOM 2021 FB page to get better answers. This thread is for people who are either on DA (not pulled) or WL.

There have been multiple people pulled of the DA list recently and all of them seem to be accepting the seat so I'm not sure how all the DA will be pulled off.

There have been multiple people pulled of the DA list recently and all of them seem to be accepting the seat so I'm not sure how all the DA will be pulled off.
Yes, it looks like the volume of DA people being pulled is low. Did anyone got released from the WL? The releases were supposed to begin 2 weeks ago.

I got pulled off the DA list recently as well and have accepted their offer. I hope to see most of you guys this fall.

I'm currently on the WL. Haven't received word about being released as of yet. I am also curious to know if there have been releases.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Earlier someone said that they will begin releasing in early June.

I left Adrian a voice mail a few days ago asking about WL movement. I'll let y'all know what he says when he responds.

Reactions: 4 users
For those that are on the deferred list or waitlist that are interested, there are a few things that you can do to get things in order faster once they extend an admissions offer to you.

1) You need to send official transcripts to them. So get information on how to do so if you no longer have access to sending them online through you school portal.
2) You need to have all of your immunizations up to date and you will have to have to your records to a health professional (PA,DO,MD,NP,etc.) to review them and fill out a form and sign it for you to send to Burrell. You will also need a Hep B surface antigen test and a varicella titer run within 6 months of matriculation and will need to get the lab requisition from a provider you see. Also, Part of the immunization paperwork includes getting 2 TB tests within 6 months of matriculation. Finding places that do these are a good start. My local walgreens did mine for me and signed off on them.
3) Make sure you have the $3000 deposit ready to go. Now they are only giving something like 48 hours from the time the offer was sent out in order to pay it.
4) Not much to prep for, but you will be asked to do a background check and a urine drug test, and they provide the company which it is ran by. You just have to pay the fees for them (was like $79 or something for both). If you take Rx's that may show up on the drug test, you may want to notify your provider ahead of time that you will be needing some documentation from them depending on what they require.
5) Also not much to prep for, but you also have to complete the two hour online portion of the AED and CPR training by time classes start and bring the card from it with you (you have to pay for this as well, however I don't recall it being very expensive at all).
6) Apparently there are some medical instruments (quite a few to my surprise) that we supposedly need, but I have only seen it on the FB page and have not received an email or anything from BCOM. If I find out for sure which ones they are I will make another post for you guys.

I hope this helps some of you and if you guys have any questions feel free to PM me or reply to this post.

Reactions: 6 users
Hey, I have a question about computers. How much do you guys rely on the surface book? I am thinking about using my personal laptop. Do you guys use the touchscreen quite often? Are there a lot of students who bring Macs to school, or does everyone generally stick with what is provided?

Hey, I have a question about computers. How much do you guys rely on the surface book? I am thinking about using my personal laptop. Do you guys use the touchscreen quite often? Are there a lot of students who bring Macs to school, or does everyone generally stick with what is provided?

I believe you may be receiving different laptops from what we have. The majority of us use the surface book- it's nice b/c you can write on it during class and annotate your notes. I do know of a handful of people that only use the school laptop on test day, when we're required to, and otherwise use their mac for everything else.

I believe you may be receiving different laptops from what we have. The majority of us use the surface book- it's nice b/c you can write on it during class and annotate your notes. I do know of a handful of people that only use the school laptop on test day, when we're required to, and otherwise use their mac for everything else.

Damn, I was looking forward to getting a Surface Pro. Any chance you know why they switched or what model they are switching too? How did you like the Surface Pro? Did you find out that there was glitches with it this year?

I think it was because we've had a lot of issues with these laptops thus far. I personally haven't had anything that serious happen but they do freeze up from time to time. I really like being able to draw on the screen and annotate my notes. IMO PC overall has more of a glitchy interface to it compared to Mac products. I will say that I've used my Mac only about 10-15% of the time now that I have this school PC because it's just easier to use one system overall to keep my lectures/etc organized

Eh... that's a real shame. I was hoping for an excuse to buy one of those new Macs that are going to be unveiled at WWDC.

Also still waiting. I talked to Adrian about a week and a half ago or so, and he said that the DA list was down to about 30 from 150, so anytime from now until end of July people could be continued to be pulled off.

Also still waiting. I talked to Adrian about a week and a half ago or so, and he said that the DA list was down to about 30 from 150, so anytime from now until end of July people could be continued to be pulled off.
Hmm, he class is 150. Does not look good for WL. Maybe it's time to reapply to Bcom

They answered me pretty quickly when I contacted. "Most if not all deferred students will be offered by late June/ early July"...

Also said they would be releasing students from the bottom of the waitlist very soon. "As long as you don't get one of those letters then you have a shot"

Granted I was put on this waitlist the earliest out of all the ones I am on now, but it looks like I probably have the lowest shot at this school. It didn't really make me feel better but if it helps somebody it was worth posting. I just like getting emails back from them because it means at least they are paying general attention to the fact that I exist