Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, can anyone give insight on the sizing for the white coat?
check the Facebook page. look up the brand in the information sent to you. hit your local scrub stores until you find one that has the same brand. try it on. when in doubt, order big and tailor down.

Reactions: 1 users
For those on the DA, did they send you an email or call to pull you off? I'll be out of the country with my phone off in a couple weeks and I don't want to miss something. Thanks!

Just FYI, I was told by Adrian yesterday that the DA list has about 38 students left and will continue to call people till August to see what happens.

Members don't see this ad :)
Something strange is going on. When I spoke to Adrian about a month ago he said there's about 40 left. Then 12 were pulled and now there's 38?

Reactions: 1 users
Something strange is going on. When I spoke to Adrian about a month ago he said there's about 40 left. Then 12 were pulled and now there's 38?
Yeah about 3-4 weeks ago I spoke to Adrian at the school and he said there was 40 on the DA and he was offering about 20 seats the next week. So I'm confused how there are still 38? I'd think there would be a maximum of 20

In all fairness I give Adrian a credit for doing a tough job now in an effort to be clear with potential students yet maintaining the confidentiality of the school admission.

I understand but the information given should still be accurate. We all have our lives on hold waiting.

You think they are picking some people off the wait list before the DA list is done?

You think they are picking some people off the wait list before the DA list is done?
I don't think so. Only da list. Adrian seems like a nice guy who is doing the best he could. I imagine the influx of new apps and the da/wl makes it tough

Last edited by a moderator:

Yeah about 3-4 weeks ago I spoke to Adrian at the school and he said there was 40 on the DA and he was offering about 20 seats the next week. So I'm confused how there are still 38? I'd think there would be a maximum of 20

Yeah I am not too sure about this but that's what he said. I was expecting a reply of him pulling people off the waitlist by now, but i guess it is gonna be tough for waitlist folks this year.

I talked to Adrian today and he said they have about 30 people on the DA list and he's going to offer 12-15 seats next week

Reactions: 3 users
On the bright side for you guys on the deferred list. Our tuition is due today and if students are unable to pay today then they give up their seats (unless they get an extension or something).

For what it's worth, approximately two weeks prior to the start date of classes they'll probably be moving through the list very quickly. Most schools start 2-3 weeks before BCOM. Once students who on the waitlist start at those other schools, they'll no longer accept their seat at BCOM. It's not preferable, but they move through the list like fire during orientation week. At least that's how it was for us. I personally knew 3 people who were pulled off the list last year but they had already started elsewhere so they turned their offers for BCOM down. Seemed like everyday during orientation we had someone new show up because of hose quickly they were pulling people off.

Reactions: 2 users
If there are any second years on here at Borrell, please PM me or send me your email. I would like to know a little more about what I can to be more prepared when I start classes.

If there are any second years on here at Borrell, please PM me or send me your email. I would like to know a little more about what I can to be more prepared when I start classes.
you can relax. honestly just relax.
don't study, giant waste of time.

read.
sleep.
eat well.
exercise.

if you have personal life things you need to work on, do this before starting school because you'll be busy afterwards. DO NOT DO ANYTHING ACADEMIC it will be a colossal waste of your time. burnout is a real thing, so enjoy your break while you can. congratulations on your acceptance!

Reactions: 1 user
so if someone don't join for some reason after paying the portion, will he/she get the money back or the portion is gone.
deposit applies to your tuition, otherwise it's forfeit if you elect not to attend. there may be situation-specific exceptions for extenuating circumstances.

For what it's worth, approximately two weeks prior to the start date of classes they'll probably be moving through the list very quickly. Most schools start 2-3 weeks before BCOM. Once students who on the waitlist start at those other schools, they'll no longer accept their seat at BCOM. It's not preferable, but they move through the list like fire during orientation week. At least that's how it was for us. I personally knew 3 people who were pulled off the list last year but they had already started elsewhere so they turned their offers for BCOM down. Seemed like everyday during orientation we had someone new show up because of hose quickly they were pulling people off.
That does sound like a business opportunity.
Rejected off the waitlist today
i am so sorry. Retake the mcat and apply again. This means nothing!you will get in!

Rejected off the waitlist today
You're not the only one, admissions got back to me and said that they released almost half the waitlist and will be rejecting more from the waitlist next week.

I haven't gotten a rejection yet but that doesn't seem to mean anything because the waitlist people might not have a chance at all. Remaining hopeful though

You're not the only one, admissions got back to me and said that they released almost half the waitlist and will be rejecting more from the waitlist next week.

I haven't gotten a rejection yet but that doesn't seem to mean anything because the waitlist people might not have a chance at all. Remaining hopeful though
is the reply on wl decision through e mail? should be my guess

Thanks! Good luck with your cycle
research shows mcat has no impact on how one does in med school. that is what one school said when i went for the interview. but still most of the schools mainly MD schools value mcat. this culture would change but slowly my guess.

Last edited:
research shows mcat has no impact on how you do in med schools. that is what one school said when i went for the interview. but still most of the schools mainly MD schools value mcat. this culture would change but slowly my guess.
Research support the positive correlation with MCAT/USMLE scores. Personally I disagree. MCAT cannot predict how good of the doc one becomes besides being able to pass a test. Unfortunately schools think overwise.

Are any of you reapplying to BCOM? I personally am. Having an interview and feedback from the ADCOM seems to be very helpful to improve the application for the next cycle and chances to be accepted.

If you have a low mcat apply to more DO schools they do not weigh the mcat as heavily as MD

If you have a low mcat apply to more DO schools they do not weigh the mcat as heavily as MD
i took second time mcat and went up few more points but just because of the first score I have to be in WL; if didn't get through this time again will apply with the new score. because of mcat these hurdles one has to go through. may be there are many applicants like me may end up in waiting for another year. these kind of tests need practice rather than knowledge, doesn't make sense to be a gate keeper..

Last edited:
i took second time mcat and went up few more points but just because of the first score I have to be in WL; if didn't get through this time again will apply with the new score. because of mcat these hurdles one has to go through. may be there are many applicants like me may end up in waiting for another year. these kind of tests need practice rather than knowledge, doesn't make sense to be a gate keeper..
You may want to see if admissions will take your new score. This may bump you up on the WL

I don’t think Burrell is that concerned about mcat either tho. My friend got a 493 and was on the defferred list and got accepted already. I think the main thing is to be urself and be compassionate towards the field of study and express ur true desire to become a physician and how u would like to give back to the community in which made u the person u r today :) keep your heads up and reapply. I have heard from many schools saying that reapplicants have a higher chance of getting accepted as long as u improve ur application if that’s what they recommend.

I don’t think Burrell is that concerned about mcat either tho. My friend got a 493 and was on the defferred list and got accepted already. I think the main thing is to be urself and be compassionate towards the field of study and express ur true desire to become a physician and how u would like to give back to the community in which made u the person u r today :) keep your heads up and reapply. I have heard from many schools saying that reapplicants have a higher chance of getting accepted as long as u improve ur application if that’s what they recommend.
thanks and good to know.

Last edited:
I talked to Adrian today and he said they have about 30 people on the DA list and he's going to offer 12-15 seats next week
Did he mention when they would send out those acceptances?