Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There's still hope, I'll be giving up my seat on Monday. Hope someone good gets it!
Thank you and best of luck at the school you chose!

Members don't see this ad.

There's still hope, I'll be giving up my seat on Monday. Hope someone good gets it!
Hi. Are you giving up your spot from the deferred list or do you already have an actual seat? Thanks for clarifying.

Hi. Are you giving up your spot from the deferred list or do you already have an actual seat? Thanks for clarifying.

Hi,
I gave up a confirmed seat in the class not a deferred or wait-list slot, so someone should be getting a call or email very soon! Good Luck All those still waiting!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know the number of people on both lists as of now?

Hi,
I gave up a confirmed seat in the class not a deferred or wait-list slot, so someone should be getting a call or email very soon! Good Luck All those still waiting!
Thank you for clarifying!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys I have an interview with this school in about a month, I was wondering how long it was until you received a decision on your application following the interview date?

Hey guys I have an interview with this school in about a month, I was wondering how long it was until you received a decision on your application following the interview date?
I interviewed Wednesday got a decision the following Wednesday!

Any updates on DA list? Have they moved onto waitlist yet?

Not yet! Just seeing if there's still people on DA who are accepting if called.[/QUOTE]

Sorry lol, ricer7 are you on the DA or WL?

Sorry lol, ricer7 are you on the DA or WL?

Just curious, did you have to take GRE or did they honor the MCAT?
They accept both. I had taken both anyways though! Some schools you have to do the GRE though.

Hi :) did you get an answer on this? should we give up if we are on the waitlist?

Probably. BCOM previously said that you can't miss a single day of orientation and orientation starts tomorrow.

Probably. BCOM previously said that you can't miss a single day of orientation and orientation starts tomorrow.
Several schools accept students during orientation week due to unforeseen circumstances. While this statement is not meant to provide false hope, the start of orientation week is not necessarily the absolute last chance.

That said, if you're admitted...don't skip out on your orientation. That's a bad way to start off your career lol.

Hi :) did you get an answer on this? should we give up if we are on the waitlist?
Hi! Last I talked to adrian was Tuesday. He said there were 3 people on the DA list still. Last year they offered acceptances during orientation week. But he doesn't expect much more movement, if any at all.

I just got an offer to interview, can someone give me the run down on what the interview is like with as much detail as possible? This will be my first interview at any school so I don't have any base knowledge. If this has already been discussed as is likely you can just point me to the page, though recent experiences from this interview cycle would be most valuable. cheers

I just got an offer to interview, can someone give me the run down on what the interview is like with as much detail as possible? This will be my first interview at any school so I don't have any base knowledge. If this has already been discussed as is likely you can just point me to the page, though recent experiences from this interview cycle would be most valuable. cheers

General rule of thumb: know Why DO, Why that school, why do you want to be a physician, and know your app inside and out to elaborate on any EC's you've done as well as address any weaknesses in your app (low gpa, Low mcat... if any are applicable).

Some schools may ask what you think about healthcare reform

One of my classmates got into this place, but also wants to go orthopedics or some high-paying surgical field. Do you think BCOM will help her reach that goal? I wasn't sure what to tell her since it's a new school and all...

One of my classmates got into this place, but also wants to go orthopedics or some high-paying surgical field. Do you think BCOM will help her reach that goal? I wasn't sure what to tell her since it's a new school and all...
On one hand I would say No, going to Burell will make it much harder for her to go Ortho, on the other hand Burell is going to have an Ortho residency which although open to all, will probably show favoritism to Burell students.

On one hand I would say No, going to Burell will make it much harder for her to go Ortho, on the other hand Burell is going to have an Ortho residency which although open to all, will probably show favoritism to Burell students.

Is this ortho residency going to be ACGME? I've never heard of a DO school have a residency that's also ACGME accredited? :confused: and I thought with the merger, all residencies will become ACGME. When are they opening this residency?

Is this ortho residency going to be ACGME? I've never heard of a DO school have a residency that's also ACGME accredited? :confused: and I thought with the merger, all residencies will become ACGME. When are they opening this residency?
there's already ortho residents there, pretty sure they sometimes come to our school. All residencies will ACGME soon. Some of our classmates have shadowed the ortho here a lot.

at the end of the day its all about Step 1 though so going to any school regardless of its connections will require you to perform on the boards to even get looked at by the competetive residencies.

I submitted my secondary two days ago and have not yet received any sort of confirmation or acknowledgment or anything. Is this normal? Does the school not send a confirmation email for received secondary?

[QUOTE=" its all about Step 1 though.[/QUOTE]

Are all DO students now taking STEP 1 instead of COMPLEX since the residencies have merged?