BU MAMS 2011-2012 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi all, I just got accepted into the program yesterday. I am currently waiting on a decision from the two other programs I applied to (Georgetown and U. Cincinnati), and am not sure if I'll be getting one by the deadline to commit to BU (5/31/11). I know it's a great program but I would prefer the other ones because of cost and the fact that they aim to get you into medical school the following year, but at least I know I have something to fall back on now. Would it be possible to put down the deposit for BU and withdraw in the event that I get accepted to either/both of the two programs after May 31st?

Members don't see this ad.

blag.

So, I took the GRE today and am downright certain I need to take it again. I am starting to worry because it's getting late in the game.

V470
Q520

Anyone have an idea what percentile this would be around? I'm think 45-50ish.

Do you HAVE to get exactly 70% (and above) considering the rest of your application is solid?

To study, I am considering doing a full length every other day until I get 670+

:-( lol

MUCH THANKS!

Last edited:
Hello All,

Congrats to everyone again. My roommate and I are looking for one more person so we can get a 3 bedroom apartment. Right now we're looking in allston/brighton, mission hill, or south boston. Females only please, and preferably non-drinkers and non-smokers. We're looking to have a study friendly space, including the weekends. Please be neat and considerate. We are viewing apartments for Sept 1st and the commute is ~ 30 minutes, probably more like 20 minutes.

Feel free to PM me if you might be interested or if you have any questions.
(I've posted in the housing forum but I don't think there are too many people reading that, so I'm posting here as well.)

Members don't see this ad :)
blag.

So, I took the GRE today and am downright certain I need to take it again. I am starting to worry because it's getting late in the game.

V470
Q520

Anyone have an idea what percentile this would be around? I'm think 45-50ish.

Do you HAVE to get exactly 70% (and above) considering the rest of your application is solid?

To study, I am considering doing a full length every other day until I get 670+

:-( lol

MUCH THANKS!

Hi Rainingstairs,

Below has the GRE scoring scale:
http://www.testmasters.net/gre/information/scoringscale.aspx

Although it may not be accurate, as it is few years old, it should give you some idea about where you stand.

I took GRE to get in, too. It will be fairly easy to score significantly boost your quantitative score. And as for the verbal score, there are many books out there that should help you out. I was only able to study four days due to my oral and written qualifiers and fortunately, I got good enough score to get in. If you have any questions, PM me!

To answer your question, I do not think you have to be above 70% to be considered. If I were you, I would e-mail Dr. Offner or Dr. Davies and honestly and concisely explain your situation and go on from that point.

Good luck! :luck:

so back to the laptop subject real quick again...

If I wanted to apply for extra loan money to buy a laptop, it would have to be when I'm filling out the loan paperwork right? i.e.-I couldn't apply for a loan extension for a laptop I might buy next year (after my loan amount has been established?)

I am just wondering, because I might take advantage of this to buy a new tablet PC. I'm not sure I can make it two more years with the current computer when I am (hopefully) applying for med school loans. I also don't want to put anymore money into my mac--I'd have to get windows 7 or something for boot camp to be compatible right?

so back to the laptop subject real quick again...

If I wanted to apply for extra loan money to buy a laptop, it would have to be when I'm filling out the loan paperwork right? i.e.-I couldn't apply for a loan extension for a laptop I might buy next year (after my loan amount has been established?)

I am just wondering, because I might take advantage of this to buy a new tablet PC. I'm not sure I can make it two more years with the current computer when I am (hopefully) applying for med school loans. I also don't want to put anymore money into my mac--I'd have to get windows 7 or something for boot camp to be compatible right?

You can do it after you received your initial loan. You would just have to write up a letter documenting why you need a loan expansion and a proof of purchase.

I think I'll say what every incoming student is thinking/feeling/posted:

I am getting really excited about starting this program!

It set in after I signed a lease on my apartment up there yesterday. I got into Mount Sinai's MS in Biomedical Sciences too and I thought I put myself in a tough spot; but after visiting there and BU, I feel that BU is an incredible program and I am absolutely thrilled about going!

I think I'll say what every incoming student is thinking/feeling/posted:

I am getting really excited about starting this program!

It set in after I signed a lease on my apartment up there yesterday. I got into Mount Sinai's MS in Biomedical Sciences too and I thought I put myself in a tough spot; but after visiting there and BU, I feel that BU is an incredible program and I am absolutely thrilled about going!

Did you join the FB group?

Hi all. I recently accepted my admission to the MAMS program for the fall and I was wondering if anybody had any advice on how/where to find housing. Thanks!

Hi all. I recently accepted my admission to the MAMS program for the fall and I was wondering if anybody had any advice on how/where to find housing. Thanks!

Hi CalanBSowas join the FB group and we have talked about it extensively already

BluDev, I'm curious, are you a fellow Dukie?

No unfortunately I cannot call myself a Dukie. Just a basketball fan, would love to give people a more legit reason why I am a duke fan though!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everybody,

I just sent in my deposit today for BU MAMS and I'm very excited about it! I'm also applying to med school this year and hoping to finish this program in one year. I applied to USF MSMS, Georgetown SMP, Tulane CBM and NYMC MSBMS as well. I'm looking for housing and open to pretty much anything. I'm a 21-yr-old guy, went to the University of Central Florida, and I'll miss the beach down here but its well worth it. Hope to meet you all soon!

Congrats SouthFLA!

Hi everybody,

I just sent in my deposit today for BU MAMS and I'm very excited about it! I'm also applying to med school this year and hoping to finish this program in one year. I applied to USF MSMS, Georgetown SMP, Tulane CBM and NYMC MSBMS as well. I'm looking for housing and open to pretty much anything. I'm a 21-yr-old guy, went to the University of Central Florida, and I'll miss the beach down here but its well worth it. Hope to meet you all soon!

Hey guys,

I'm having a difficult time choosing what program to attend this fall. Thus far ive been accepted into BU's MAMS, Drexel's IMS program and the New George Sqaured SMP (georgetown SMP at george mason university).

I came into this process dead set on going to georgetown, but after talking with people and reading some of the forums on this site, i've confused myself entirely.

I know BU is a two year program, and that is something I would like to try to avoid if at all possible.

My stats during undergrad were
3.248 overall gpa
3.148 science
I was a neuroscience major and did well in those classes which kept my Sgpa over a 3.0, I did not do as well in my premed req classes ( that gpa would be slightly below a 3.0)

Research and volunteer work for 2 years including some research awards and a co-author in the journal of neurotrauma.

the Gsquared program suggests I send in my apps this summer, before I enter the program.

I'm looking for advice on both which program is the best choice (comparing both the work load to its pay off )

and whether or not I could be considered competitive to medical school, if i applied before my program, as george squared suggests, given only half a years worth of graduate school grades( hypothetically saying that i do relatively well in the program).

thanks in advance for your support guys!

Sincerely,
Pittkid

ps. my mcat was a 29O plan on retaking it though in july

Last edited:
But do be warned that there are those who won't make it through in the MAMS program and will either switch concentration or not finish because its tough.
you can say this about any SMP

@Pittkid, your gpa/mcat combo is obviously not competitive

@rogueunicorn you are right, I definitely at this moment am not competitive, however Gsquared still suggests that all applicants apply before the year. So my question is, would half a years worth of good SMP grades be enough to make my application competitive ( this would be as opposed to taking the full year of classes and then applying, but also having the gap year.

@gujudoc thank you for your response! Yeah my feelings toward the drexel program mirrored yours, but thank you for solidifying that decision in my mind. As for George Sqaured, when I spoke with the program director, Ms. Donna Fox, she seemed very confident that the program would be received the same as the Gerogetown SMP. The classes are identical, in that they are actually video taped at georgetown then shown a week later at mason. The exams are the same, and you are graded against the georgetown SMP students as well as the georgetown MS1 students. I am trying to get ahold of someone at georgetown med to confirm that in fact they will look upon the programs the same. If they do, would you still suggest boston for someone in my position? Or do you think half a years worth of grades at mason would be enough to make me a competitive application?

I know this requires a ton of speculation, but any advice you guys can offer is greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Pittkid

@rogueunicorn you are right, I definitely at this moment am not competitive, however Gsquared still suggests that all applicants apply before the year. So my question is, would half a years worth of good SMP grades be enough to make my application competitive ( this would be as opposed to taking the full year of classes and then applying, but also having the gap year.
i don't think any of us can speculate on this with any degree of certainty/credibility, but this seems to be a question you should direct at the gsquared people.

My stats during undergrad were
3.248 overall gpa
3.148 science

my mcat was a 29O plan on retaking it though in july

Time to bring out the blunt hammer of dewm.

I'll give you a very short answer and explain why it is the case. I'll say 70% chance you will not get in this cycle with those stats in the G^2 program IF it is like the GU SMP program.

The average uGPA in GU SMP is something ridiculous like 3.3. The attraction of GU SMP is to try and get you within year 1 and they do it fairly well. However, their average uGPA is 3.3... which means half the class has over a 3.3. Those students with 3.4s and 3.5s or even higher will definitely have a good shot of getting in with only half a year. They had a pretty good shot to begin with. On top of that, you need a competitive MCAT (33+)

Let's look at your situation. You are nowhere near 3.4-3.5+. Your MCAT is nowhere near what these students probably had. Therefore, the odds that you will get in with only 1 semester of grades is close to ZIP unless you have absolutely phenomenal EC.

SMPs are not an easy way out. It is not easy and the bigger your mistake in undergrad, the EXPONENTIALLY harder it is for you to dig yourself out of the hole. I can not emphasize that enough. You are lucky that your uGPA is still pretty good (in terms of SMP students). I think you're probably above the average uGPA at BU, for example... so in the long run you will have a very good shot at getting into medical school. Don't rush into SMP, with a feeling of "ASAP" and then focus ONLY on the fact that you can get in within 1 year, but then completely fail to realize it would have been very difficult within a year anyway. There is nothing wrong with waiting a few years to get into medical school. Take your time, cover all your weaknesses & be completely prepared or you will make a disastrous mistake that'll permanently keep you out of medical school

Last edited:
I'm in! Now where do I live/who needs a roommate?

See ya'll in August!

Something I sent along to an incoming student, thought others might benefit. Some tips from my perspective/experience to succeed in the program...

1) PRE-READ. This is pretty critical. All the classes will hand out a very comprehensive, textbook-like syllabus that will detail all that you will learn in the lectures. Read the corresponding section before the lecture, and make an attempt to understand a good portion of it.
2) POST-READ. This may be obvious, but make sure to read the syllabus after the lecture, ideally after a couple of days have passed, along with the class notes to integrate everything into your memory.
3) DON'T SLACK. The classes are very manageable as long as you stay on top of things. Once you let even a couple of lectures pile up, you might put yourself in a hole you can never come back out of. I've seen this first-hand. It's not a good place to be.
4) BE EFFICIENT. Don't become one of those people who brag about spending 8 hours a day in the library. Without exception, these are the same people who are checking facebook on their laptops while supposedly studying. Focus and do the task at hand. I don't know about you, but I'd rather intensely study for two hours, and take the balance of the time for myself, than spread out the work over six hours. On that note..
5) RELAX. Make sure to take some time for yourself so that you don't go completely crazy. No one can study 24/7, and a well-used period of fun will actually improve your performance greatly. It will also help if you come with a good regular schedule for yourself with this time built in.
6) ASK QUESTIONS. Don't be afraid of asking questions in lecture or after lecture. I would actually recommend approaching the professors often, they will remember you. That being said, ask real, genuine questions, don't be that person who asks questions that are either completely off topic or questions for which s/he already knows the answer.
7) TALK TO PROFESSORS. Continuing in the vein of the previous note, talk to professors as much as humanly possible. They've been through their share of rodeos, and have lots of great advice in terms of study techniques, med apps, etc. If for nothing else, they also usually tell some great stories about ye olde days. You also never know which of them might be very influential on the AdCom or whom their friends may be.
8) BE PROFESSIONAL. This program is for people intending to become professionals. As such, you should embody professionalism the moment you step onto the campus. Some people take this idea very seriously and dress nicely for every class, but it doesn't need to go that far (although I would advise against dressing too sloppily). It can simply be the matter of being punctual to both classes and meetings, being respectful of everyone (incl. the support staff on campus), and being honest with your professors and peers. It's almost a bit sad, but this professional behavior will set you apart.
9) HAVE FUN. The year you're in classes does not have to be at all a painful process, and it all depends on your own attitude. The stuff you'll be learning is voluminous and challenging, but it's also interesting! You are being given the privilege to learn some really intricate and quite cutting edge details of how humans work. Take interest in that, and then suddenly it's not so bad reading about physiology, because it's actually kind of cool. And remember, if you're doing this the right way, you should still have some time most weeks to kick back and enjoy yourself.

Hi everybody,

For those of you who seem to know a lot about the SMP's: I've already sent my deposit for BU MAMS and I'm pretty set on going there. But, I have applied to Georgetown SMP also with no response thus far. My question is: which one would be more worth going for if my main goal is matriculating into medical school in fall of the following year? My stats: 3.36 uGPA, 32R mcat, average ECs. I need all the input I can get. Thanks.

Hey, can anybody tell me what all forms we all need to have filled out when? Right now I'm just trying to focus on getting my financial aide and finding a place to live, what all should I have taken care of this summer?

Hey, can anybody tell me what all forms we all need to have filled out when? Right now I'm just trying to focus on getting my financial aide and finding a place to live, what all should I have taken care of this summer?

Also, up-to-date Immunizations and Heath Forms. I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow to get those taken care of.

Oh yeah forgot about that. Yes MMR, PPD skin test for TB, HepB, and Tetanus vaccination.

I recall those. I think Vaccinia vaccination was not necessary for us but if you become a med student there then it is necessary.

And come to think of it I think there was some physical I had to get done or some medical forms of other sorts i needed to have my doctors fill out with like any medicine allergies and other health conditions I have and sign off on to give student health services in case of an emergency.

At some point they also give you information for the early bird signing up for your bu email access.

Yup! Just got my email address this week :D

Hi,
About the dressing professionally thing, so do people not wear Jeans and tshirts?

Oh man, I decided to stop by while cruising the boards and looking for tips on my upcoming Step 1...

Reading some of the posts, I feel that I should chime in. GujuDoc, I think we might've been at BU MAMS during the same time?!?! Haha anyways...

I feel that undergrad/science GPAs are highly variable and really depend on where you are coming from. There is definitely a lot of variance between schools, and if I chose to take a ton of really easy science courses, or enroll in really hard upper level courses with a steep curve then obviously there will be a difference in GPA. I've heard of, and known students who have gotten into med school after doing this SMP and others. There are also people who haven't been so fortunate. Generally speaking? If you put in the work, time, and discipline I feel that most well-respected SMPs will get you where you want to be.

On the other hand, the MCAT I feel is a good indicator of where you are relative to admissions, it's a standardized test and so you can compare yourself to others in your class who have successfully/unsuccessfully applied.

Definitely don't waste your time, be disciplined and with your goal in mind you should get there.

Good luck guys! Stick with it. Trust me, you'll get there.

What year were you? I was there from 2009-2010 though technically graduated 2011 because thesis year was this past year.

If you are an M2 taking your step 1, my guess is you were either the year before me or 2 years before me.

Oh man never mind, I was there earlier than you. Either way, I'm grateful for the BU MAMS program. I think a lot of alumni of the program don't check in here that much and I think it's good to give perspective to people who are considering this or any other SMP.

For all the prospective/soon to be starting students...

I remember Dr. Offner or the dean at the time saying something like, this is your chance, prove to us that you can not only work at the level of the MS1s but above that! Get ready to work HARD

Agreed!!!

Well there's been a few kids on here trying to help out the last few years. For a while this kid from BUSM Clas sof 2014 was posting on here but then he just took it to the fb groups to helping there directly cuz he didn't like SDN.

Then there's been crisco who posts on here and is going to be attending BUSM in the fall. Then there's me and there's some people from this past year's 2010-2011 class that have been around. And then there was that guy in class fo 2014 who posts as redsquareblack. So I mean it fluctuates but there's been 2 or 3 every year.

I've heard that they are trying to set up a liason though between SDN and those in charge of GMS.

Dr. Linda Hyman is now the dean of the program vs. I believe Dr. Broitman and Dr. Franzblau who were the deans in charge when you were there, most likely. Dr. F and Dr. B are still around though. Dr. B is still and advisor and Dr. F still teaches about collagen and some other stuff.

Dr. offner, Dr. Davies, and Dr. Parks have all be promoted since your time in GMS too. One is assistant dean, one is director, and I forget what the the 3rd is. But they are all high up positions and they are also on top of that still advisors of GMS.

So that's what has changed since your time.

And with changes to BU curriculum on the horizon a few years down the road, there may be changes to BU GMS curriculum in the future.

But I general premise of your posts still not changed and I agree with everything you posted.

there are changes happening even for this upcoming year, which I think is a good thing. Well, good changes are made every year based on the previous year's comments & flaws

FAFSA for financial aid, 200 dollar deposit in, and finding a place to stay.

Not much else that I did summer before starting.
FAFSA doesn't cover everything right? Are we supposed to try to get loans for the rest now? I've never used FAFSA/financial aid so the process is quite new and foreign :confused:

If you live frugally stafford loan subsidized, unsubsidized, and GradPlus should be enough. But I actually ended up returning the 17k I had for living expenses cuz my parents covered it for me for living expenses.
Are the stafford ones thru FAFSA? how do I get the gradplus one? I emailed the financial advisor and she said she could give me an appt to come in but it was too complicated to explain over email...wont be in Boston til Aug

I think I already know the answer, but would it be useless to apply right now for this fall? I just got my MCAT.

Hey everyone, I submitted my application to the MAMS program at the end of March and had all of my LOR's and required materials submitted by then except for transcripts. I decided to wait until final grades, class rank etc came out in the middle of May to request transcripts and now here I am 4 weeks later and BU has not received my transcripts, which I requested on May 20th. I just emailed unofficial copies for now. I am concerned that since it is late in the application cycle there will not be spots available. Is this generally how it works? Just how competitive is admissions?

My stats are a little complicated. I was an athlete at URI for 2 years before sustaining a knee injury. At URI my GPA was a 2.8 (I had one semester where I had a 2.2 because I missed 3 weeks after the injury/surgery on my knee). I then transferred to Assumption College as a Bio and Envi Sci major. I have improved academically every semester since transferring to Assumption and graduated with a 3.34gpa. My major gpa's are a 3.32 for bio and a 3.56 for envi sci.

If I was not accepted into the MAMS program is it possible or reasonable to take classes as a non-degree seeking student?

hello.
im giving my spot away in the program.
goodl uck to people who are on the waitinglist

Hey everyone,

I'm in a bit of a tough situation and I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I just took my GRE and my scores were below the 70th percentile ranking that the program is looking for. However, I do have a competitive GPA (3.6+) and I did email Dr. Davies to explain my situation. She basically told me to apply and that my GPA should carry some weight, however she did mention that it is late in the cycle and that the class is almost filled up. She also mentioned that if I feel like I can re-take the test in July and do better, then I should apply and list my future GRE date. However, I think that this entails that the committee won't look at my file till early August (when my new GRE score gets sent in), when there are even less seats, and there is no guarantee that I will do better next time around. In addition, the new GRE is coming out in August, so this is essentially my last shot at the GRE for the summer.

My other dilemma is studying for the MCAT, if I take another month to study for the GRE, I don't feel like I have enough time to adequately prepare for my August MCAT date. So basically, is it worth re-taking the GRE for the program, or should I just apply with my current GRE score, and go ahead and study for the MCAT for the rest of the summer. I would really appreciate any advice, thank you!

Has anyone been accepted to this program with a GPA of around 3.05? A little below their average right?

Thanks and congratulations on your acceptance! :D

I had another question about this program. I read somewhere that 75% finish in 2 years, 10% finish in 1 year, and 15% finish in 3 years. Does that mean that 75% of those who finish, finish in 2 years, or 75% of all the students finish in 2 years? Did you guys apply to med school right before you entered the program (to avoid the 2nd year) or do they make you finish the program before you can go to med school?

YES people get accepted all the time with well below that too esp. if they had some postbac, an upper trend, or grad work from another MS that was non SMP but strong in GPA.

GOOD LUCK

and guys, BU really does work if you do halfway decently. I just got my first acceptance to medical school after one hell of a grueling application process. GOOD LUCK and stay positive. But be prepared to work your rear ends off like there is no tomorrow.

Congrats on the acceptance gujuDoc! I've been perusing other pre-med threads and know you were waiting for this acceptance for some time. I'm really happy for you!! :D

Do you plan on applying concurrently while doing classes at BU? Or do you plan on applying the year after doing classes, meaning next summer?

If u plan on doing apps next summer instead of this summer for med school, you have time as u can take MCAT then and may even score slightly better due to what you learn in grad school. But if u plan on applying this year don't do the GRE again and just apply with what you got if it will affect MCAT scores.

Kemcho Guju Doc and congrats on your acceptance! Based on Dr. Davies' recommendations, I decided that I'm just going to apply with my current GRE score since time is a factor for MA MS admissions. I plan on applying to a few med schools this summer, but ideally I feel like applying the summer after I finish my first year in BU MA MS (if I get in) is the best scenario for me. Wish me luck!

Hey All!

If anyone is looking for a roommate for the program, and doesn't mind two cats, let me know!!

For anyone who is currently in the program or has attended: how many of you decided to complete the program in one year (4 semesters in 12 months), and applied the summer immediately after finishing your first year of classes? I'll most likely be attending the program in the fall and would like to apply no later than next summer myself. Why do most students end up completing the program within two years, and would applying while completing a lab thesis during the two summer semesters be difficult to do?

For anyone who is currently in the program or has attended: how many of you decided to complete the program in one year (4 semesters in 12 months), and applied the summer immediately after finishing your first year of classes? I'll most likely be attending the program in the fall and would like to apply no later than next summer myself. Why do most students end up completing the program within two years, and would applying while completing a lab thesis during the two summer semesters be difficult to do?

Most people complete the program over two years. Everyone (without good reason otherwise) should apply the summer after the first year, regardless of finishing the program in 1 year or 2 year.

If you finish the program within a year & apply during that year, you will most definitely not get a dean's letter. However, those who apply after at least a year in the program will receive a dean's letter. A big reason to do 2 years is because the research is great for the activities section of the application and is something extra to talk about during your interviews.

Your last question about lab thesis during 2 summer semesters is virtually impossible unless you have some research somewhere you were already working on & you can use that for your thesis.

Last edited:
Hi all! I am looking for a third male roommate for a three bedroom apartment in South End, so if you are interested, feel free to send me a message!

Hi all, I have know about the BU MAMS program for awhile and despite my initial hesitations have decided to make the push to go for the challenge. I would ideally like to apply for Fall 2011 - however, I realize that it is extremely late in the application cycle to be applying. I understand that SDN member GSR recently spoke with Dr. Davies and there are very few seats left open. Does anyone know if it is game over for me on the Fall 2011 cycle? I was reading past BU MAMS threads and I noticed that there were a few people that posted acceptances to the program as late as August 20th. Anyone heard of late-applicant success stories? The earliest spot for the GRE I could get is July 22nd. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I contacted Natasha this morning both through e-mail and phone, but haven't gotten a response. Is she the best one to talk to about this, or should I contact Dr. Davies?

Thanks for all your posts everyone. I have found this forum to be a great resource! :)

I submitted my application on Monday and got in this Wednesday. Definitely spots open.

A major advantage to completing the program in 2 years is that you get a dean's letter written for you while finishing within a year won't. A second reason is because the EC from research is really nice & is something extra to talk about during your interviews.
Are you sure about this? I thought if you applied before the program started you wouldn't get a letter, but after one year you could get one from the dean.