BU MAMS 2011-2012 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes, definitely. That's what I like about BU, it seems as if they judge the entire applicant as a whole and it seems as if they weigh many factors based on each applicant on a case-by-case basis.

Members don't see this ad.

I was complete April 8 and just got the acceptance this morning! Fast turnaround!!

Probably going, but still waiting on mount sinai, michigan, case western and columbia.

Hey all,
I think I'm confusing the protocol for the BU MAMS program with other SMPs... but after sending in the application online, will BU send an email saying that my transcripts and scores were received and my application is under review? I spoke with Michelle today because I haven't heard anything (I sent in all my stuff many moons ago), and she had me email a second copy of my AMCAS. She then sent me this email:

M.,

This is to confirm receipt of your documents. Will be in touch if we need any further from you.

Thanks much,

Michelle Hall

So would this be my confirmation email? Do I just wait now for the mailman each day?:confused::eek::idea::sleep::xf:
Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I was complete April 8 and just got the acceptance this morning! Fast turnaround!!

Probably going, but still waiting on mount sinai, michigan, case western and columbia.

Congrats on the acceptance!

Nvr heard of Michigan offering any pre-med post bacc program. Is there a formal post bacc program at Michigan or are you talking about just taking science classes to boost your gpa?

So would this be my confirmation email? Do I just wait now for the mailman each day?:confused::eek::idea::sleep::xf:
Thanks

Yeah, I received an informal confirmation from them similar to that.

I wouldn't be waiting for the mailman since you first receive notification through email. Just start hitting the refresh button on your email every hour or so. :smuggrin:

Congrats on the acceptance!

Nvr heard of Michigan offering any pre-med post bacc program. Is there a formal post bacc program at Michigan or are you talking about just taking science classes to boost your gpa?

Thanks!

Yeah michigan is starting one, this Fall will be their first class (~20 kids I think). Here is the link fyi:

https://physiology.med.umich.edu/programs/master/index.htm

If I got in, I would take a visit. They seem to be on the right track (I gather that from the FAQ section, esp. about establishing linkages).

But back on BU, it is def in my top two. I wasn't sure if I would get in.

Yeah it seems like this program has the potential to be pretty substantial in a few years. I just can't believe that it costs 42k for out of state residents with no direct financial aid! :eek: Looks like schools are looking at BU to compare pricing...

but i'm moving home at the end of this month. anyone interested in subletting a 1 bedroom apt at Harrison Court for the months of May, June and July (which is when my lease ends)...shoot me a PM!

Just wondering what the general course schedule will be. Are they morning, afternoon, mixed. Back to back, or staggered throughout the day. I know it will be different for everyone as we choose our electives, but just trying to get an idea.

Just wondering what the general course schedule will be. Are they morning, afternoon, mixed. Back to back, or staggered throughout the day. I know it will be different for everyone as we choose our electives, but just trying to get an idea.

Most likely it'll be late morning to early afternoon (10-12 and 1-3?) or so. Roughly. It's usually not back to back, but with an hour or so in between. Second semester, you may have a class that's early in the morning though.

mind sharing your stats?

Most likely it'll be late morning to early afternoon (10-12 and 1-3?) or so. Roughly. It's usually not back to back, but with an hour or so in between. Second semester, you may have a class that's early in the morning though.

I agree with this statement. For example: Biochemistry was from 12-2 usually, whereas med physio (the 6 credit one) is in the morning along with immunology. Histo also varies depending on the semester.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got accepted to both BU and Tufts. I'm leaning toward Tufts for the MBS but I prefer BU for the MPH. there is no way of doing the MBS and then MPH at BU (a one year MPH), is there?

I got accepted to both BU and Tufts. I'm leaning toward Tufts for the MBS but I prefer BU for the MPH. there is no way of doing the MBS and then MPH at BU (a one year MPH), is there?

Actually, both Tufts and BU have the MPH option.

However, I have one piece of advice: I'm assuming that you're entering one of the programs to do well in the SMP... so, I think you should reconsider your priorities. In other words, Tufts and BU have very different curriculum styles for their SMP year, and you should definitely weigh the pros and cons of those instead of the (possible) MPH. When choosing the SMP, MPH is irrelevant, because it will not really matter for med school acceptances. If MPH is a make or break deal for you, send me a PM and we can chat ;)

yes true i will choose Tufts over BU because of the SMP, which is the main thin gI am concerned about. what suggestions do you have on the MPH though? I'm assuming MBS at Tufts and then 1 year of MPH at BU is not possible.

but then i could not do the MPH in 1 year, correct? b/c i thought that was a MBS/MPH or MAMS/MPH accelerated program

i got an email from Dr. Offner that my application was completed on the 12th and I got an acceptance email from Michelle Hall on the 15th. was kinda amazed at how quick the entire process was.

i got an email from Dr. Offner that my application was completed on the 12th and I got an acceptance email from Michelle Hall on the 15th. was kinda amazed at how quick the entire process was.
Hey there, congratulations! I completed my online application on April 8th (Friday) and received an automated e-mail saying that one of my professors completed and submitted an LOR (1 of 3). Would I be receiving an automated e-mail like this for each LOR submitted? In other words, it is certain that my other 2 professors haven't submitted their LORs yet?
Also, I've been trying to get ahold of someone from the admissions office for DAYS now (both at 617-638-5121 and 617-638-5255) but no one ever seems to answer! Has anyone else had this problem? I wasn't sure if there was a specific time of the day that would be the best to call.
Thank you everyone for all of the helpful information.. Cross your fingers for me!

Try 617-638-5217 NOT the 5121 number. Not sure if that is the right number.

Natasha hall's number is ending 5217. she's also in admissions with michelle hall. I believe that michelle is her mom.
Oh, I haven't tried that number yet; thank you. I'm thinking it's a bit too late to call as of today, since it's almost 5pm ET.. I guess I'll try tomorrow morning.
Could you perhaps answer my question about the LORs?

Yeah, I received an informal confirmation from them similar to that.

I wouldn't be waiting for the mailman since you first receive notification through email. Just start hitting the refresh button on your email every hour or so. :smuggrin:

I totally haven't received a thing yet... should I be worried?f:scared:

Hi everyone. Congrats to all the new acceptances. I am finishing up the first year of MAMS classes right now. My roommate and I are both moving from our current apartment and my landlord is looking for someone to start renting it in June or July so I told her I would get word out. We live in a two bedroom apt. that is about a 5 minute walk from school. It's two bedroom one bath and we have two floors, which is A LOT of space for Boston (and it's a lot cheaper than James Court or Harrison Court). Heat and hot water is included in rent and there is also a laundry room for the building. I really love living here and wish I could stay next year, but my roommate and I are both moving closer to where we will be doing our research. It's Parmelee Court and here is the number: 617.427.7745.

Last edited:
Hey there, congratulations! I completed my online application on April 8th (Friday) and received an automated e-mail saying that one of my professors completed and submitted an LOR (1 of 3). Would I be receiving an automated e-mail like this for each LOR submitted? In other words, it is certain that my other 2 professors haven't submitted their LORs yet?
Also, I've been trying to get ahold of someone from the admissions office for DAYS now (both at 617-638-5121 and 617-638-5255) but no one ever seems to answer! Has anyone else had this problem? I wasn't sure if there was a specific time of the day that would be the best to call.
Thank you everyone for all of the helpful information.. Cross your fingers for me!

Yes! you will receive an automated e-mail for each LOR submitted. However, if you are a suspicious or an anxious kind (me! :D), you can get on the link below (the exactly same link that you submitted online application) and check up on them yourself.

https://www.bu.edu/link/bin/uiscgi_graduate_application.pl?ThisCollege=med

Hi everyone. Congrats to all the new acceptances. I am finishing up the first year of MAMS classes right now. My roommate and I are both moving from our current apartment and my landlord is looking for someone to start renting it in June or July so I told her I would get word out. We live in a two bedroom apt. that is about a 5 minute walk from school. It's two bedroom one bath and we have two floors, which is A LOT of space for Boston (and it's a lot cheaper than James Court or Harrison Court). Heat and hot water is included in rent and there is also a laundry room for the building. I really love living here and wish I could stay next year, but my roommate and I are both moving closer to where we will be doing our research. It's Parmelee Court and here is the number: 617.427.7745.

Hi FutureOncDoc,
I am looking for an apartment right now and I like that the place is close to the school. However, the place has pretty bad reviews online. Did you actually enjoy your stay? I am currently living thousands of miles away and I can't afford to drive around the town to look for a place before the school starts and I will really appreciate your honest opinion.

What do you think my chances are if I just applied with a ~3.1 cum. g.p.a. and a 26O on the MCAT? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Hello everyone, I posted this question in the Tufts thread also, but was wondering what people who have been to BU and/or graduated from BU can say about BU's MAMS in comparison to Tufts?

I've read that BU's MAMS has been around longer than Tufts program and has more recognition from med schools due to this. Is this true at all?

What are the main differences between these two programs? Which would you choose? Does anyone know what Tuft's % into any med school is? I think BU's is 85% into health professions.

Thanks all.

What do you think my chances are if I just applied with a ~3.1 cum. g.p.a. and a 26O on the MCAT? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

I have a 3.1 cumm and 26r mcat. I have graduate level bioengineering research and autism research, lots of clinical experience volunteering and shadowing. So I have the same numbers as you and I got in, I imagine if you have good extra curriculars you can too. I hope that helps you gauge yourself :) good luck!

Hello everyone, I posted this question in the Tufts thread also, but was wondering what people who have been to BU and/or graduated from BU can say about BU's MAMS in comparison to Tufts?

I've read that BU's MAMS has been around longer than Tufts program and has more recognition from med schools due to this. Is this true at all?

What are the main differences between these two programs? Which would you choose? Does anyone know what Tuft's % into any med school is? I think BU's is 85% into health professions.

Thanks all.

Maybe you've already seen this already, but just in case:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=515439&page=2

Its got great information about similarities and differences. Doesn't answer your specific question about % into medical school but the general consensus is ... both programs are wonderful and designed to get you into medical school (if you do well etc.). So its just about your preferences, what learning environment do you prefer?

Yeah you will receive an email from [email protected] when each of your LORs are submitted. I actually had all my professors send their LORs even before my application was completed so when my application did reach BU's office all of my LORs were attached to my application.

In regards to getting a hold of someone, the email address provided above will be your best bet. If you email you are most likely to get a reply either by the end of the day or the next day.

I definitely have my fingers crossed for you! Hope to see you in Boston in the fall :)

Hi everyone! I was accepted into the MAMS program about 2 weeks ago and submitted my deposit earlier this week. Congratulations to everyone else entering this fall! I'm really excited about starting, but I did have a question regarding a welcome email that I received earlier today.

The email detailed (among other things) specific computer requirements and recommended models of laptops. I currently use a netbook which I love. It's very light, very small, has a relatively long battery life, and has worked great for all my other graduate studies. Apparently though, BU actually recommends against most netbooks (due to screen/resolution being too small, insufficient RAM, etc). I assume they have a reason to be so specific about minimum computing requirements, but how important is it to adhere to these standards and invest in an expensive new laptop, when I have a perfectly functional and portable one already?

Congrats on being accepted Charbinger! I started the MAMS program August 2010 and have been pleased with the teaching quality and advising thus far. For the laptop requirement, I don't remember receiving detailed information on specific ones to get. However, I have noticed a lot of students using Netbooks for the long battery life and convenience. It's mostly unnecessary for class unless you like typing notes on the bottom of each ppt slide or if you prefer to watch lectures online, since most lectures are recorded (not sure how a netbook would perform in this regard). Most teachers don't use ppt slides unless you're taking Pharmacology or this year's Immunology. A few of the professors in Biochemistry and Physiology also use ppt for part of the lecture. Also, I'd imagine that a fast laptop with nice graphics is useful for Histology, but I didn't take that class so I cannot comment. So if your laptop works well for you, is fast enough to view online lectures, and doesn't cause too much eye strain, then you most likely wouldn't need to buy a new laptop though if you did, you could request a loan increase allocated towards that purchase! Also, the medical library and the computer labs have nice computers with very big Mac screens to view Histology slides or Facebook photos. Good luck!

I have a couple of quick questions that I was wondering if you guys could help answer.

I'm confused as to where to send the transcripts. I think I looked over the website pretty good but can't find a definite address. My best guess was:
M.A. in Medical Sciences Program
Boston University School of Medicine
72 East Concord Street, Room L-315
Boston, MA 02118

Is that were you guys sent them?

Another question. I have all my LORs ready to go at interfolio. These are standard letters, not the 'BU Recommendation Form'. I opted not to submit letters online because I can get them in quicker by mail because I already have them. How did you guys go about sending your LORs through interfolio? It says they need to be signed across then envelope but I don't think that possible using interfolio. Two more questions; If I send my LOR through interfolio can I just send them as is? I'm just confused on how they would know they were for me unless they read them. Finalllllllly, do I send the LOR to the same address as my transcripts.

Thank you very, very much guys.

So if your laptop works well for you, is fast enough to view online lectures, and doesn't cause too much eye strain, then you most likely wouldn't need to buy a new laptop though if you did, you could request a loan increase allocated towards that purchase!

So, is it possible to ask for more money? I will be relocating from thousands of miles away and it makes me nervous to know that housing is 1000-2000/month around the South end and I won't have any income source. According to the website, it states that private loans will cover what federal loans won't cover for tuition purposes.. :scared:

So, is it possible to ask for more money? I will be relocating from thousands of miles away and it makes me nervous to know that housing is 1000-2000/month around the South end and I won't have any income source. According to the website, it states that private loans will cover what federal loans won't cover for tuition purposes.. :scared:

I know you can request a loan increase for laptops specifically, but it'd be a hard sell to ask for more money to live in an apartment nearby. Your best bet is to look around for a roommate in Harrison or James Court.... it can be a $1300 vs $1700 breakdown (one person takes the larger room w attached bathroom, the other person takes the smaller room and hallway bathroom)... Otherwise you can always live in other sections of the city and commute if money is an issue.

Some people have PM'd me about finance and places to live - and my honest opinion is: make sure your priority is to maximize your chances of getting into medical school. Only you can judge the worth of what you get for your dollar. If you're paying $400/mo more for rent in the South End, you're really paying for the peace of mind of not getting to your exam in the middle of snow traffic, and being able to walk home in between classes for meals/brief catch-up studying. If that's not worth the additional $400/mo in your mind, then save your money and live in Allston and take the BU shuttle to school! There's definitely plenty of people who live even further than that, or in places in between. Whatever you choose, just make sure you're 100% happy with it.
("I'm stuck with a $50,000 loan, but I had more time to study and got into med school"
vs.
"I'm saving $10,000 this year by living further and I still got into med school"
vs.
"I'm saving 10,000 this year and had less time to study... and didn't get into med school")
There are cheaper apartments in the South End, but make sure you really check out the premises (for rodent problems, leaks, utilities charges, window gaps for lost heat, etc.) - there are some definite hidden gems but you'll have to search! Good apartments starting May-August get signed in under 24 hours... Boston is highly rent-mobile for the 10,000+ students starting school in the fall!!!

Note: Try working this summer if you're worried about your expenses. You might be able to save up a couple $$ to offset those loans. It's not perfect, but it's an option.

=============================
The email detailed (among other things) specific computer requirements and recommended models of laptops. I currently use a netbook which I love. It's very light, very small, has a relatively long battery life, and has worked great for all my other graduate studies. Apparently though, BU actually recommends against most netbooks (due to screen/resolution being too small, insufficient RAM, etc). I assume they have a reason to be so specific about minimum computing requirements, but how important is it to adhere to these standards and invest in an expensive new laptop, when I have a perfectly functional and portable one already?

I'd say if you're set on taking Histology, you need a comfortable screen size so that you can follow along in class. I have a tablet PC with a smaller screen size (12.5") but most people have 13"-17" laptops. Otherwise, as earlier mentioned, you don't really need your laptop in other classes. I feel more comfortable using my own PC for the Histology exams, but you can always go up to the library to take your Histo exams on their computers if your (older) one decides to spaz. A netbook for a Histo exam might be a little small (you might have to have 2 windows up at a time - one with the questions and one with the slide), but if you're comfortable, that's your call!

Last edited:
How hard is it to develop a good relationship with the BU professors and your primary advisor? I am asking for the purpose of obtaining new letters of recommendation for a med school app for next summer (after 1 year of the program).

On another note, is $2000 for a 1 bedroom for 1 person too much to pay for housing close to the med campus? I think I would rather live by myself for at least the first year, but everything is soo expensive I may have to reconsider.

Is financial aid pretty good about giving us whatever we need for tuition and housing? Does some of the financial aid have to be co-signed by our parents?

So, financial aid only covers the MAMS Annual Cost of the Program: http://www.bumc.bu.edu/gms/academics/masters-in-medical-sciences/mams-annual-cost-of-the-program/

The tuition went up a little bit for next year, so the figures might change a bit, but that was the budget for this year.

If you have receipts for a new laptop, you could ask for a budget increase to cover that. I would do the math and figure out how much you could afford based on what you have to spend on rent. $2,000/mo for rent is a bit steep and almost 3x what I am paying (I pay $750 to share a 2 bedroom located by Roxbury Community College). However, it takes me 25 minutes to get to school every day so it was a pain during the heavy snow days, but I managed to get a lot of studying done at home luckily. There are definitely better deals out there, but you have to look and be willing to take the BU Shuttle or walk 20+ minutes to school. There are plenty of people that do live closer to the main campus, but it's hard if you have early morning classes and getting back during rush hour could take up to 45 minutes or an hour.

Also, if you're interested in doing the 1 year deal, you should probably talk to Dr. Offner, since she would be a good person to gauge whether you would be successful or not. There are definitely current MAMS students that have gotten in to medical school already, but I'd imagine that their undergraduate grades were pretty good. Also, you would have to have EVERYTHING ready before you even started the MAMS program, so that means no LOR's from the MAMS Faculty. Also from what I've heard, the faculty is generally not supportive unless you were borderline for medical school and not sure if they would write update letters for you. I know Georgetown Faculty will, since the program is geared towards getting students into medical school after 1 year of classes (that's why a lot of those students have pretty decent grades/MCAT).

Good luck!

... Also from what I've heard, the faculty is generally not supportive unless you were borderline for medical school and not sure if they would write update letters for you...

This is in reference to, if you do it one year right? If you do well in the class, talk to them here and there, and ask for a LOR - are professors are generally accommodating?

How hard is it to develop a good relationship with the BU professors and your primary advisor? I am asking for the purpose of obtaining new letters of recommendation for a med school app for next summer (after 1 year of the program).

Not hard at all. It's just like building relationships with any faculty member. Get to know them, ask them questions, respect their time, do well in their courses, and you should be just fine. By the time I was done with one year in the program, I had a great bunch of letters.

Incidentally, you might make it a point during the introductory sessions to get a feel for which faculty members are part of the adcom: It never hurts to have one of them write you a letter.

On another note, is $2000 for a 1 bedroom for 1 person too much to pay for housing close to the med campus? I think I would rather live by myself for at least the first year, but everything is soo expensive I may have to reconsider.
Living by yourself close to the campus will cost you. However, there are a few places here and there that are affordable. Buddy of mine lived in a small apartment on Mass Ave., looked fine, serviceable kitchen, etc., and from what I recall, he didn't pay much for it. For larger, nicer places, $2000/mo. is about normal for a 1 bed in the South End, and rents show no sign of dropping any time soon.

You might also look for some places in the Brookline (Coolidge Corner) area, and even into Allston/Brighton, all of which are a reasonable commute by the BU Shuttle to the Med Campus. In the early Fall and late Spring, these are also a comfortable bike ride away. I lived near Coolidge Corner when I did the GMS program, and it was one of the best places I've ever lived (minus the roommate). Best of all, they're more affordable.

Is financial aid pretty good about giving us whatever we need for tuition and housing? Does some of the financial aid have to be co-signed by our parents?
Yes, FA is pretty good at giving you whatever you need for tuition and housing, provided it does not exceed your COA.

Last edited:
Most teachers don't use ppt slides unless you're taking Pharmacology or this year's Immunology. A few of the professors in Biochemistry and Physiology also use ppt for part of the lecture. Also, I'd imagine that a fast laptop with nice graphics is useful for Histology, but I didn't take that class so I cannot comment. So if your laptop works well for you, is fast enough to view online lectures, and doesn't cause too much eye strain, then you most likely wouldn't need to buy a new laptop though if you did, you could request a loan increase allocated towards that purchase! Also, the medical library and the computer labs have nice computers with very big Mac screens to view Histology slides or Facebook photos. Good luck!

Thanks for the input, and for the reality check at the end re: Facebook photos. :laugh: I do type faster than I write, and I've been typing notes for so long that handwriting all my notes might be detrimental to my learning experience. I also have pretty bad eye strain with my netbook though, so I'll probably need to shop around for a better alternative.

I'd say if you're set on taking Histology, you need a comfortable screen size so that you can follow along in class. I have a tablet PC with a smaller screen size (12.5") but most people have 13"-17" laptops. Otherwise, as earlier mentioned, you don't really need your laptop in other classes. I feel more comfortable using my own PC for the Histology exams, but you can always go up to the library to take your Histo exams on their computers if your (older) one decides to spaz. A netbook for a Histo exam might be a little small (you might have to have 2 windows up at a time - one with the questions and one with the slide), but if you're comfortable, that's your call!

I haven't yet decided about taking Histology, but when you say that a laptop isn't really necessary, is it because most people take notes by hand? Also, can you comment on whether having a tablet PC is better for notetaking (compared to only being able to type)? And in terms of battery life, how long should I expect to be on campus for classes, on average?

i was trying to avoid posting more, but I will.

GujuDoc, we cannot do without your infinite wisdom! (I've seen your posts on a few other forums and they're very helpful.) Don't leave! Thanks for posting, even though you were trying not to.

Yes, FA is pretty good at giving you whatever you need for tuition and housing, provided it does not exceed your COA.

Is it possible to ask for more money, even exceeding COA? I'm just anxious on how the heck I'm going to survive with $20000/yr as a living expense when apartment will cost $1200-1500/month and they discourage to have a job.. :scared:

Hmm I wasn't able to get more but you could inquire into it. I do think you should consider getting a roommate if you can. That may help the cost some.

Or consider living on the main campus and using the BU shuttle to come to campus. They have 600/month kinda living near that area more.

that's what several of my classmates did.

600/month?! Alright!! :thumbup:

Anybody looking for a roommate, PM me please! I personally prefer guys as they tend to self-control better in stressful situations (such as, school. :D), but, if you are an awesome chick like myself, I like you, too!

Is anyone else on the BU housing waitlist? I really hope there is movement on the list before the fall.

Is anyone else on the BU housing waitlist? I really hope there is movement on the list before the fall.

I am on the waitlist for Harrison, but I am signing a lease at James Court this week so I will be taking myself off the list- one spot closer to move in for you!

How are you or How did you search for housing options? I'm no where near Boston at this point and other than BU off-campus housing site, I'm not sure how else to look for places and I would truly appreciate your help! :thumbup:

How is the Back Bay area? Is it safe for the most part? I have found some better priced options around that area. I also found that copely park has a bus stop right next to it that takes you all the way to BU med in an estimated 6 minutes according to their website. Are buses safe? Only certain hours?

How are you or How did you search for housing options? I'm no where near Boston at this point and other than BU off-campus housing site, I'm not sure how else to look for places and I would truly appreciate your help! :thumbup:

I've been using the bostonapartments.com mostly. I don't like craigslist personally, but this website doesn't look too much better. The BU housing website said it was reliable though.

Hey guys, i'll be going to BU MAMS in the fall as well. Hope to see everyone there that's going there. Formalities aside,

They sent out a book?

My acceptance packet came after my acceptance e-mail. It only came with the deposit sheet-nothing about housing. But I have found the BU Housing website to be very helpful.