BU MAMS 2011-2012 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys...I'm really having a hard time finding a shared room. If anyone is looking for a roommate, pls reply or pm asap. I wanna get settled soon.

Members don't see this ad.

.For those of you who have been accepted - for your personal statement, did you just follow their prompt and write to address the specific points (Report any research activities, publications, independent studies, and memberships in academic, professional, or honorary societies...yada yada) or did you "craft" a coherent essay (told a story and subtly answered the points in the prompt?) Did any of you use amcas essay?

Also, how feasible is it to commute from across the river around cambridge or somerville, without a car?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Also, how feasible is it to commute from across the river around cambridge or somerville, without a car?

It's Boston.. the T is your friend.

Most of the programs offer special commuter rates.. I know BU has a special discount T pass for red/green/orange (I think) until mid august...

so told me the ugrad admissions officer woman whose name I cannot remember when she helped me pick classes for my post-bacc

It's Boston.. the T is your enemy.

Most of the programs offer special commuter rates.. I know BU has a special discount T pass for red/green/orange (I think) until mid august...

so told me the ugrad admissions officer woman whose name I cannot remember when she helped me pick classes for my post-bacc
fixed

.For those of you who have been accepted - for your personal statement, did you just follow their prompt and write to address the specific points (Report any research activities, publications, independent studies, and memberships in academic, professional, or honorary societies...yada yada) or did you "craft" a coherent essay (told a story and subtly answered the points in the prompt?) Did any of you use amcas essay?

I used my standard personal statement I had used for all my other schools. But I made sure to insert into the story a little bit about my volunteer work/leadership, At the end of my essay I tacked on a paragraph or two elaborating on my research and anything else that didn't really fit into my statement's story as well.

Anyone apply to their SMPs before applying to MS?

Yes, that is what I meant.

I wasn't sure if it is best to try your luck at applying to medical school before you go to SMP. I ask because I will most likely be applying to medical school next June, but figured that I should apply to SMP this October and, if accepted, attend while my med school applications are being reviewed so I don't sit around and do nothing for a year. However, this is expensive, but I suppose if I NEED a SMP then I might as well get the ball rolling. What do you think?

I sent in my completed app this morning, and got the yes email from Dr. Offner right before dinner tonight! yay yay yay yay yay.

...now to wave my wand and conjure $40k.

I sent in my completed app this morning, and got the yes email from Dr. Offner right before dinner tonight! yay yay yay yay yay.

...now to wave my wand and conjure $40k.

Dr. Offner is incredible.

Given my low ugrad GPA (due to extenuating circumstances)... I intend to apply to the SMP @ MAMS in January once I receive my first semester grades (for my informal post-bacc) and my MCAT Score in Feb (for a Jan test date). The MAMS has a solid medical school acceptance rate - and I feel this program can best suit my background in science and provide me further insight and study into medicine - and hopefully, I can utilize my background from my current MS and my prior research to benefit those in the program with me next year.

I'm actually really excited about this.

Dr. Offner is incredible.

Given my low ugrad GPA (due to extenuating circumstances)... I intend to apply to the SMP @ MAMS in January once I receive my first semester grades (for my informal post-bacc) and my MCAT Score in Feb (for a Jan test date). The MAMS has a solid medical school acceptance rate - and I feel this program can best suit my background in science and provide me further insight and study into medicine - and hopefully, I can utilize my background from my current MS and my prior research to benefit those in the program with me next year.

I'm actually really excited about this.

happy for you! :thumbup: i'm sure we're all excited and really looking for this program as well. can't wait to start
:)

Is this program linked with BU's MD program and give a conditional acceptance like some programs do?

can someone start a new thread for the 2012 entering class?

Hey,

During undergrad, I had no idea what I wanted to do. My first 2 years of school were nothing but B's, C's, and D's. I finished the MAMS program last year and matriculated into BUSM this year. It's a great program. If you do your part, the program and advisors will do theirs.

If you got any questions, message me...will do my best to answer em...just like past successful GMSers/more knowledge people have done for me when I first started (ie. cameras, guju)

Generally though, I'd recommend taking histo. It's a really good class and will help you out in physio as well. Also, just be confident. You're gonna be a doctor, taking tougher courseloads than you'll see in the MAMS program, so lock down and you'll do fine. Secondly, don't study for MCAT during the program. I didn't take it again, but most of the people I knew had plenty of time to study after May for an June/early July date. I know if I did take it again, I'd barely have to touch BS because of the program.

Gluck. Hope y'all come if accepted.

Hello,

I realize that the program at BU is great and I would love the location. However, I need to decide between BU's low (30 out of 180 students) matriculation rate into their med school versus the higher linkages at other schools (~15/20 students). Also, the smaller class sizes at other schools.

What do you recommend?

Hello,

I realize that the program at BU is great and I would love the location. However, I need to decide between BU's low (30 out of 180 students) matriculation rate into their med school versus the higher linkages at other schools (~15/20 students). Also, the smaller class sizes at other schools.

What do you recommend?

30 usually attend but the acceptance I would say is a little higher maybe around 45

I was wondering if anyone applied with a GRE score. I just took the GRES and def did not get 70% on the verbal section. I already sent in all my stuff..just waiting for a response at this point.