BU MAMS 2011-2012 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Withdrew my spot today. GL waitlisters

Members don't see this ad.

I submitted my application on Monday and got in this Wednesday. Definitely spots open.

Congrats rr89!

I submitted my app a month ago and still waiting :(

What were your stats/credentials like if I may ask?

My stats were 3.5 (cum and science) and 30Q. I just graduated from a southern Ivy this past fall and had a pretty decent amount of research, volunteering, and leadership. I live in CT and had applied to BU medical school in the fall (first rejection of this cycle) so I had them transfer my MCAT score, LORs, and personal statement from the BU medical school admissions office. I contacted the GMS admissions office a few times to ask questions about the program, so I think that showed them that I was definitely interested.

I have been waitlisted at 2 med schools (UConn, NYMC), so I don't know if this program is right for me or a waste of my money. It seems like a good fit, but if anyone has any opinions on whether it is worth it for a student like me to do this program or look for a research or volunteer position for a year (I would aim to do this program in one year since I am applying this cycle), I would greatly appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you sure about this? I thought if you applied before the program started you wouldn't get a letter, but after one year you could get one from the dean.
right-o. his point i believe was regarding people who finish in one year while applying that year, with the intention of going to med school directly afterward.

right-o. his point i believe was regarding people who finish in one year while applying that year, with the intention of going to med school directly afterward.

yeah my mistake, let me edit it so other pople dont get confused

For those looking for apartments, I am looking for 2nd roommate for a 2 bedroom in South End within walking distance (.5 mi) to campus.

Shoot me an email at [email protected] for more information

Thanks

Matt

Just got my schedule! Biochem monday, wednesday, thursday, friday.
Physio monday wednesday friday,
and something called "Rel MED Sci" (what's that?)
And which track does this mean I am?

Are people still being accepted into the program? I submitted my app a month ago and still no word

Where did you go to see this??

Hi Guys,

If any of you guys live in Harrison Court or have a lease that starts (or you're planning to move in) before Aug 1, it'd really mean a lot if I could somehow store my stuff there for a week til Aug 8 since my current lease ends July 31 and the new one starts Aug 8 and my stuff will be homeless for a week. I'll pay you a few hundred bucks!! (easiest couple hundreds you'll ever make :p )

Please PM me! Also, I just finished my first year as a MAMS student so feel free to ask any questions too :)

Thanks again!

I believe there are no "tracks" starting this year & everyone has the exact same schedule... but not entirely sure if those plans went through or not. Rel MED sci is your Thesis credits, for which you get a letter grade if you do a lab thesis and no grade if you do a written thesis.

I believe there are no "tracks" starting this year & everyone has the exact same schedule... but not entirely sure if those plans went through or not. Rel MED sci is your Thesis credits, for which you get a letter grade if you do a lab thesis and no grade if you do a written thesis.

I think you're right since in their list of GMS elective/required courses, there is no mention of a combined 6 credit one semester Histology course. There is only a 2 semester Histology A and B course each split into 3 units. Same goes for the required Medical Physiology Course.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys

This is pretty much my last shot at getting into a US-MD. I understand that this is it, and I'm expecting to go in and work my behind off. I applied late, about a month ago, and just got accepted two days ago. :)

Do any current 2nd year students/grads have any advice on how to excel in this program? I looked through the sticky on the Master's programs, and there was some pretty good information. Most people say to expect to work really hard, which is not a problem with me.

Where should I study? Should I buy textbooks or use USMLE review books? How many hours a day should I expect to spend studying if I want to ace all my courses?

Thank you!!

if you look through this thread, several people have posted tips

don't buy books yet

Anybody else still looking for housing / roommates?

Ah I just got accepted two days ago as well and I'm heavily considering *not* going. CRAZY RIGHT?

I'm from San Diego, CA and moving to Boston blows my mind. I don't even know what I want to do right now. I've already submitted my apps for AACOMAS and AMCAS this cycle. My dilemma is that if I can get into a DO/MD this cycle, then going to Boston would be a waste, but if I don't get in this year, then I definitely should have gone to BU. ~$60k more debt also makes me cry.

3.14 cGPA, 3.1 sGPA, heavy upward trend last two years (3.2-3.9 range), 33Q MCAT, Chemistry Major. (looking at DO schools, but did MD just on the off-chance)

I still have 7 days left to decide. I'm going bald ripping my hair out and having many sleepless nights.

Let's weigh the things. Your options...
Firstly, your chances at MD are pretty nonexistent, so I'll just ignore that for now.
1) Don't go to BU, get into DO - Save 60k, no chance at MD
2) Don't go to BU, don't get into DO - Then BU , and then do OR med school but 2 years after that (3 years after)
3) Go to BU, get into DO - Waste 60k, no chance at MD (that year)
4) Go to BU, dont' get into DO - Do well and have a decent chance to get into DO or MD school.

You can either not go to BU, and gamble POSSIBLY getting into DO in fear of wasting 60k. If that fails, you are screwed and will need to wait an additional 2 years after that before matriculating. You can burn 60k right now, apply and POSSIBLY get into a DO. If you get in, you wasted 60k. If you didn't get in, you now have a chance at not only a DO but also a MD.

Personally, I think this is a no brainer. You are afraid of spending 60k in hopes that you MIGHT get into a DO, but the opportunities opened by spending 60k is much, much better. You not only can apply again as soon as this cycle fails (if it fails) but you also open up your chances to go to not only a DO school but a MD school. Go to a SMP, it is by FAR the safer choice

Ah I just got accepted two days ago as well and I'm heavily considering *not* going. CRAZY RIGHT?

I'm from San Diego, CA and moving to Boston blows my mind. I don't even know what I want to do right now. I've already submitted my apps for AACOMAS and AMCAS this cycle. My dilemma is that if I can get into a DO/MD this cycle, then going to Boston would be a waste, but if I don't get in this year, then I definitely should have gone to BU. ~$60k more debt also makes me cry.

3.14 cGPA, 3.1 sGPA, heavy upward trend last two years (3.2-3.9 range), 33Q MCAT, Chemistry Major. (looking at DO schools, but did MD just on the off-chance)

I still have 7 days left to decide. I'm going bald ripping my hair out and having many sleepless nights.

I don't know whether I could post this (if not I will delete this), but if anybody want to buy class textbooks early send message to me.

I have books that are used in biochemistry and pharmacology class. I am so eager to get rid of these.

So should we register for an elective this semester? Or are these classes enough. I know we are supposed to take 12-16 credits a semester.

So should we register for an elective this semester? Or are these classes enough. I know we are supposed to take 12-16 credits a semester.

I'd say it's better to take less than more. but as guju says, histo is typically the elective though some decide not to take that at all as well

Accepted

Waitlisted at Georgetown, Accepted at Midwestern, Rejected NYMC

when I was in the program most took Histo as an elective. You should try to do that but if you don't want to do histo do Pharmacology.

I have been following the threads on the program since they started, I even read back a few years and met with some students a few months ago. From what I thought I remembered (I could be absolutely confusing this though) Histo was mostly taken because the professor who taught it was on the Adcom for BU and if you wanted to get into BU you basically had to take it. But I thought I remembered hearing she won't be teaching it anymore so it's not as critical of a course now?

well, firstly, it's not true that just because she was on the adcom that you HAD to take histo to get into BU. These rumors have been wandering around for awhile and definitely needs to be dispensed. I would still not recommend taking more classes than absolutely necessary, considering how challenging the program is.

To people in the program or grads.

How doable is it to get a dual degree in 2 years? Would you recommend it? How about a concentration?

I’m sure they’ll tell us more about the lab thesis later but I’m trying to get a general understanding of how it works. How do people usually go about finding a professor for the lab thesis and is it difficult to find a paid position?

How doable is it to get a dual degree in 2 years? Would you recommend it? How about a concentration?

Well... it is definitely doable. However, not many people actually do it. As far as recommending it or not... well... I wouldn't recommend it in that it is a lot of extra work and can take away from your performance in your core courses. I would recommend it in the sense that if this is something you have really wanted to do or you feel like this is the thing for you. You should definitely do it in such a situation.

I'm sure they'll tell us more about the lab thesis later but I'm trying to get a general understanding of how it works. How do people usually go about finding a professor for the lab thesis and is it difficult to find a paid position?

i think a paid position is difficult though not impossible. They'd have to have a REALLY good reason to pay you. You basically ask different professors with topics you may be interested in, just like you normally would in finding research. It's no different than other researches you may have done, except at the end, you gotta write a thesis

2. If you really want the MPH, remember you can also do the dual program in med school as MD/MPH programs so if u think that will be more feasible I'd go that route.
How long does an md/mph program take? If you did the library thesis and finished MAMS in a year (without applying before it started), you have a 'gap year' so MPH would be a good idea?

How many units should you take on your first year? what is a sound amount/ how many classes?

I'm bout to enter the BU Met college for a second degree to complete ALL the prereqs for pre-med/biology...

spoke to a counselor today...

Going to the open house on July 30th...

...is this a bad idea?

I'd do the SMP, but I have an MS already... :confused:

:: phew::

Thanks so much Crisco and Guju, I was super lost about the whole research thesis thing. I kind of really just want to start already.

Last edited:
For all those still on the waitlist, I just declined my spot, so hopefully one of you gets it. Good luck!

Out of curiosity if you don't mind my asking, how come? You got into med school somewhere? Or into another MS/postbac program? Just curious.

Goodluck with your future plans.

Hey guju,

I'm happy to see you're still actively posting and helping people, as usual.You're right about the reason. I am attending USC's MS in Global Medicine program. I have a lot of reasons why I chose it, but the main ones are that I like the curriculum, the area, the close proximity to my family, the small class size, the opportunities offered there, and the lower cost (including money it would take to move). I also heard that a large percentage of people from last year got into really good CA schools with GPAs under 3.5. My friend who just graduated from the program mentioned UCLA, USC, and UCI, not that I'm banking on that. In general, it just seemed more feasible.

Hi,

My roommate and I are both second year MAMS students. We are both in the process of looking for an apartment and this would be fantastic. Are there still any vacancies?

If anyone is still looking for a roommate, please let me know. I'm going to be a 1st year student moving out from southern California. I'm a 24 year old male and am interested in sports and music. Im also incredibly neat and organized, so no fear of me trashing the apartment. Message me for more info.

Hey current/former MAMS students, MCAT question from an incoming student here- for those of you who had to retake or take the MCAT after the start of MAMS, when did you take it and did it affect your AMCAS application?

I know you're supposed to try and get your applications in about as soon as AMCAS opens in June. Having said that, I doubt I'll be able to take the MCAT in April or May and expect to get both a very high GPA in the second semester of MAMS as well as an improved MCAT score.

At the same time, if I wait until after MAMS to take it in the summer, I would need at least a month to study for the MCAT and also it would take another month for the score to be released. In that case, wouldn't applying later in the cycle also be bad? I was under the impression that the majority of MAMS students apply to med school at the end of their first year- obviously this isn't the case for people applying before they start MAMS, and people applying the summer after the second year definitely have time to study for and retake the MCAT.

So in a nutshell- try and handle both MCAT and MAMS at the same time, or take MCAT later and risk submitting primaries later? I have taken the MCAT once, so I'm not sure if I can say, submit that score and then try and update the application with an "improved" summer score- I would expect the schools to put a hold on the application until the second MCAT score from next summer comes in.

does anyone know what times the classes will be held this year?

I've been told its similar to our schedule that we had by people on here who have already received schedules.

thanks for the reply, if i'm not mistaken, classes start in september but the med school starts in august so do we not take medical school classes the first semester?

for those who have done this program already...do you think its a good idea to maybe take biochem and physio A (10 credits combined) and study for the MCAT in the fall and then take the exam in the winter? I know that many students take it in June or July after they have submitted their primaries, but I think it would take longer for me to remaster topics like orgo and physics which aren't covered in the program. This way I can take a heavier courseload after my exam and in case I need to take it again, I have that opportunity. I took a heavy science courseload in college and have already taken the MCAT once (30Q), so I think this is possible...what do yall think?

Wow, Dr. Offner is amazing.

I e-mailed Dr. Offner expressing my interest in the program and received quite a reply. And within 8 hours of initially establishing contact! :)

Hi X,
Thank you for your interest in the MAMS Program. You sound like an excellent candidate for Fall, 2012 admission.

For admission, we require the results of either the GRE or MCAT and 2 semesters each of Biology, Physics, General Chemistry and Organic Chemistry (all with lab). Thus, the plans you have outlined will satisfy our admissions requirements.

I look forward to receiving your application- you can submit in February once you have received your MCAT score.
Best wishes

----------------------------------

The question I have now... is, if I do this informal post bacc... and apply to the MAMS program, could it help me THAT much or hurt me?

I figure people suggest doing a SMP to top a low ugrad GPA... I'm considering it greatly.

That depends. Do you want to go to med school, and do you want to maintain your sanity?

I hate to be blunt, but chances are the reason you're going to that program is because you screwed up somewhere along the way. A good way to ensure the same outcome in grad school is to overburden your schedule.

Honestly, what do you hope to accomplish with two degrees that you can't do with one? Focus on knocking one out of the park. Prove you are an exceptional student, even in actual med classes. Everything else should be a distant second for goals.

Is anyone, preferably a male, still looking for a roommate for the upcoming 2011-2012 school year? I want to be as close as possible to maybe even in Harrison or James court. PM me if interested

Is anyone, preferably a male, still looking for a roommate for the upcoming 2011-2012 school year? I want to be as close as possible to maybe even in Harrison or James court. PM me if interested

PM'ed. No response back yet though. Is anyone else looking for a roommate? I'm coming in from California, so I don't really know how/where to look for a place before I get there. My plan was to find a place before I get there by looking through Craigslist and stuff, but it's been pretty difficult because I don't know anything about the area. Any suggestions?

I read on an old thread that admissions for BU MAMS is rolling for fall and spring. Does anyone know if it's possible to start in the spring? If so, does this help you avoid an extra year? Thanks!

I read on an old thread that admissions for BU MAMS is rolling for fall and spring. Does anyone know if it's possible to start in the spring? If so, does this help you avoid an extra year? Thanks!

Do you accept students for January admission?

No, we do not accept students to the MAMS program in January.* All students start* the program in the fall semester.

you can only start in the fall

Admissions are rolling, so I infer, and go up until July 2012 for NEXT fall.

I was recently encouraged to apply for the MAMS program by the director once I have my MCAT scores in January... if my MCAT or my post-bacc grades are below expectation, but meet their minimum criteria, I should apply for the coming year.

I have been warned that sMP's are expensive (obviously) and could make or break you.

I want this.