BU MAMS 2011-2012 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IntelInside

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a first year student in the program, and I didnt see one for BU MAMS this year so here you go. Last year's was definately helpful for me and a lot of other people, so if you have any questions/thoughts post them up. Good luck on your applications.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do you have any more information on the average stats of matriculants in the program?

The websites says a gpa of 3.1 and MCAT between 25-30 - is that correct?

Also, how do you like the program? Do you feel as if it will help you/or already has helped you in getting to medical school?

Thank you

I came in with a 3.55 and a 32 on my MCAT, there are however plenty of people below me in terms of my incoming stats as well as some above me. The program will definately help in securing a position in medical school and I would say it is the best SMP program in the nation. The faculty are amazing and caring. The facilities are superb. There is literally nothing more I can ask for in a program

Members don't see this ad :)
I came in with a 3.55 and a 32 on my MCAT, there are however plenty of people below me in terms of my incoming stats as well as some above me. The program will definately help in securing a position in medical school and I would say it is the best SMP program in the nation. The faculty are amazing and caring. The facilities are superb. There is literally nothing more I can ask for in a program

could you comment on the workload? did you have time to go out/explore boston, or was it pretty much studying 24/7?

thx

Well it is different for everyone, but I definately have time to go out and explore boston other than on exam weeks. It's all about prioritizing your, and not losing sight of why you came into the program. It is definately doable.

lettuce be reality

First time poster in this post, so hello everyone :)
And here are some of the questions I have:

1. I am an international student, and I do want to know how many % of the class are international (international being not US nor Canadian)?
2. I took the MCAT last year (July 30th 2010) and I have a score that I am pretty happy with and intend to keep. If I apply to BU MAMS and start this fall, and do two years / one year + MPH, are my scores still 'good' for most AMCAS applications, or will I have to retake them sometime during my second year at BU?

That's all for now and thanks =)

First time poster in this post, so hello everyone :)
And here are some of the questions I have:

1. I am an international student, and I do want to know how many % of the class are international (international being not US nor Canadian)?
2. I took the MCAT last year (July 30th 2010) and I have a score that I am pretty happy with and intend to keep. If I apply to BU MAMS and start this fall, and do two years / one year + MPH, are my scores still 'good' for most AMCAS applications, or will I have to retake them sometime during my second year at BU?

That's all for now and thanks =)
honestly if i were you i'd be more concerned about getting into med school after MAMS as an international student than getting into MAMS itself.. as for the MCAT, it should be valid for the vast majority of schools.

Is it hard/possible to get into med school right after finishing the program?

I've read on this board that the program isn't very supportive to students who are applying to start the fall following completion. do most students finish in 1 year or 2?

I am doing it in 2 years. As I want to do a year of research in a particular field. and I know that most, if not all, of my friends are also do it in 2 years and we have had immense support for not just our research ideas/thesis but throughout the year regarding our performance in the sciences. That is not to say that there are people doing it in 1. As far as unsupportive, I wouldnt be able to comment on that as I am doing it in 2 and havent experianced this unsupportiveness as you have described.

Is there some type of transition program into BU Medical School program after completion of the program?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've read on this board that the program isn't very supportive to students who are applying to start the fall following completion. do most students finish in 1 year or 2?

Most students finish in 2 years. I was one of the few who did it in one. I officially graduated in September 2009, and got accepted to BUSM for the Class of 2014 (matric in 2010).

Very rare is the case where a student enters the program, completes in one year, and walks into med school the following fall. They're typically not that supportive because it almost never happens. This is for a couple of reasons, not least of which is because if you apply early, you've had very little time for any faculty members with clout to get to know you, but if you wait until faculty know you well, you're late.

Most students finish in 2 years. I was one of the few who did it in one. I officially graduated in September 2009, and got accepted to BUSM for the Class of 2014 (matric in 2010).

Very rare is the case where a student enters the program, completes in one year, and walks into med school the following fall. They're typically not that supportive because it almost never happens. This is for a couple of reasons, not least of which is because if you apply early, you've had very little time for any faculty members with clout to get to know you, but if you wait until faculty know you well, you're late.
Were you successful because you were competitive enough without the program, or do you think you got in because of the program? I just know when compared to georgetown, GT strongly encourages you to apply before the program starts.

Hi, everyone!
My name is Courtney and I just received an e-mail from Dr. Offner that I am welcomed to the 2011 Fall class. As a non-tranditional student that will be traveling over 1000 miles to relocate, I would truly appreciate your advice, help, and support throughout the whole experience and beyond.
I look forward to hearing from you. :highfive::soexcited:

Hi, everyone!
My name is Courtney and I just received an e-mail from Dr. Offner that I am welcomed to the 2011 Fall class. As a non-tranditional student that will be traveling over 1000 miles to relocate, I would truly appreciate your advice, help, and support throughout the whole experience and beyond.

Hi Courtney. If you have any questions please dont hesitate to ask.

Were you successful because you were competitive enough without the program, or do you think you got in because of the program? I just know when compared to georgetown, GT strongly encourages you to apply before the program starts.

Oh, man, no question I could not have gotten in without the program.

Hi, everyone!

Hi, Courtney. Congratulations! Ask away!

Oh, man, no question I could not have gotten in without the program.
Could you make observations as to why you were successful in one year (lots of clinical experience/ published papers/ got to know faculty early?) and share your stats (only if you're comfortable). Thanks :)

if you're hell-bent on going to med school immediately after completing the smp, gtown is the better bet

I dont really do the whole student doc thing but i guess ill start? I recently received my acceptance letter from BU and I will definitely be going. Yay.

I wonder how early is too early to start thinking about housing. I want to live with a couple of awesome people to make life just a little bit easier while in school. If you're awesome and want to live with me...send me a message.

I dont really do the whole student doc thing but i guess ill start? I recently received my acceptance letter from BU and I will definitely be going. Yay.

I wonder how early is too early to start thinking about housing. I want to live with a couple of awesome people to make life just a little bit easier while in school. If you're awesome and want to live with me...send me a message.

Congrats james. Work hard and you will do well

We have a Siberian Husky Puppy and a toddler boy. Since we own cars, driving back and forth is still an option, however, I heard about the traffic in Boston and I'm not sure if that would be a reasonable method.

My questions to past, present, and future BU MAMS and anyone with decent knowledge of Boston are:

1. What are some good neighborhoods to live? Being a student, I would appreciate affordable neighborhoods that are safe and less hectic.

2. How stressful is driving around the town? I'm from a small town in the South and I wanted to punch many people's face for constantly riding on my ass and being inconsiderate to others in Atlanta, DC, NYC, Philadelphia.

Thank you!

i drove to class and did very well. it's doable, but then again if you drive like a grandma it might test your sanity. affordable and safe in a city generally don't go together, but boston as a whole is a very safe city. what's your monthly budget? if you drive, you'll need to cough up about ~150 in parking every month.

i drove to class and did very well. it's doable, but then again if you drive like a grandma it might test your sanity. affordable and safe in a city generally don't go together, but boston as a whole is a very safe city. what's your monthly budget? if you drive, you'll need to cough up about ~150 in parking every month.

I don't particularly drive slow, but I can't stand people that are impatient and rude..
I haven't figured out a monthly budget, yet. I won't have any financial support, so it seems like I will be shelling out student loans.

How much is reasonable in Boston?
Also, how much financial aid/ student loan can we get through BU? I'm not particularly worried about borrowing money, now. If I don't believe in myself to be able to pay my loan off in the future, I shouldn't be in school still. But I am worried about the limit of their support.

Thank you!

I don't particularly drive slow, but I can't stand people that are impatient and rude..
I haven't figured out a monthly budget, yet. I won't have any financial support, so it seems like I will be shelling out student loans.

How much is reasonable in Boston?
Also, how much financial aid/ student loan can we get through BU? I'm not particularly worried about borrowing money, now. If I don't believe in myself to be able to pay my loan off in the future, I shouldn't be in school still. But I am worried about the limit of their support.

Thank you!
you should start worrying.

you implied that there is a spouse, will s/he have no income? COL loans are only about 7-8K a semester if i remember correctly, and imo it'll be very difficult to cover a whole family's living with that. you can really live in a whole range of places with widely varying prices and options if you are willing to commute, but it does come down to what your financial situation is like. you can PM me with details if you wish.

Hi guys,
I have applied but ever since I submitted my application (late February), I have not received any e-mail saying it has been processed. Nobody seems to be returning any e-mails either. Is there a particular number I should try calling?

Also, if one has applied to BU Med as well, will they have access to your info from AMCAS?

I sent in my transcript, but just wanted to check.

Thanks in advance! :)

Hi guys,
I have applied but ever since I submitted my application (late February), I have not received any e-mail saying it has been processed. Nobody seems to be returning any e-mails either. Is there a particular number I should try calling?

Also, if one has applied to BU Med as well, will they have access to your info from AMCAS?

I sent in my transcript, but just wanted to check.

Thanks in advance! :)

This is the number to call: (617) 638-5121

Could you make observations as to why you were successful in one year (lots of clinical experience/ published papers/ got to know faculty early?) and share your stats (only if you're comfortable). Thanks :)

Whew, time flies. Sorry it's taken me so long to get back.

Ugh, it pains me to even post these stats, but here goes:

AMCAS' figures:

• Science GPA = 2.47
  • All other GPA = 3.13
  • Total GPA = 2.82
As you can see, there was just no way. My transcript GPAs were higher than this, of course, but that's because they didn't average out retakes. Once AMCAS worked its magic (which is essentially to depict your GPA in as unflattering a light as possible), it would have been a tall order to even get in the door of a DO school.

MCAT was okay; my first test was a 34R, which is good, but it was unbalanced:

• PS = 8
  • VR = 14
  • BS = 12
After two unsuccessful cycles, I applied to the GMS program in 2008, and got in.

I knew that for this to work for me, I'd have to work my ***** off, so I did. I finished my classes with a 4.0, and I laid the groundwork for a library thesis in January 2009 (talked to potential readers, got ideas for projects, etc.). By the time the 2009-2010 application cycle rolled around, my MCAT scores were too old, so I had to retake.

This time, I followed a strict study schedule (and the classes taken during GMS definitely helped with some concepts), and the score came out much better.

• PS = 14
  • VR = 12
  • BS = 12
Even that notwithstanding, the application cycle was pretty rough. But they say it only takes one.

Moral of the story is, if you can get into the GMS program, do it, but never forget that this is your last chance to prove yourself. It can be your ticket into med school, but if you slack off, it can be a handy coffin in which to bury your dreams of becoming a doctor.

I am also a current BU GMS first year student, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask here or you can even PM me.

Just to re-iterate what redsquareblack said, I cannot stress how important this is. There are students I know in the program who are not studying and not doing well. They don't understand that this truly is a last chance opportunity and that you must take it EXTREMELY seriously.

Moral of the story is, if you can get into the GMS program, do it, but never forget that this is your last chance to prove yourself. It can be your ticket into med school, but if you slack off, it can be a handy coffin in which to bury your dreams of becoming a doctor.

Rippy087

I am also a current BU GMS first year student, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask here or you can even PM me.

Just to re-iterate what redsquareblack said, I cannot stress how important this is. There are students I know in the program who are not studying and not doing well. They don't understand that this truly is a last chance opportunity and that you must take it EXTREMELY seriously.

Rippy087

I 2nd this as well.

Just wanted to say Hi, I'm Jess, I've been accepted to the Fall 2011 semester.

When should we start fretting about signing up for classes?

Just a quick question for those of you who have been accepted, on your application did you include the optional essay in the questionnaire section that asks why BU and why this program?

Just wanted to say Hi, I'm Jess, I've been accepted to the Fall 2011 semester.

When should we start fretting about signing up for classes?

Unless they've changed the way they do things, you don't sign up for classes until orientation. They'll register you for the required stuff (e.g., Biochemistry), and then you can make changes after consulting with your advisor.

I was accepted and sent in my deposit about a week ago. Can't wait to get started next fall :)

Congrats TrollDoc! If you have any questions feel free to post them or pm me.

Just a quick question for those of you who have been accepted, on your application did you include the optional essay in the questionnaire section that asks why BU and why this program?

Yes I did. I just praised the program a bit and told them how I live In Boston already on weekends and love the city.

Ya, I filled out everything possible. Just wrote a quick paragraph though. no big deal.

Just got the acceptance email today. Depending on whether I get into to RFU or EVMS I will probably be heading to Boston next fall :)

For reference I had:

3.2 Cum GPA
2.9 Science GPA
30S MCAT
Decent LOR, not a lot of clinical medical ec's, lots of teaching/serving in underserved populations

Just got the acceptance email today. Depending on whether I get into to RFU or EVMS I will probably be heading to Boston next fall :)

For reference I had:

3.2 Cum GPA
2.9 Science GPA
30S MCAT
Decent LOR, not a lot of clinical medical ec's, lots of teaching/serving in underserved populations

EVMS program is quite good too actually. As long as you're trying not to be too picky about the med school you're going to, EVMS is a safer bet. Congrats :)

fyi one of my friends from the program just got into duke, so yea, mams is sweet

I filled everything out in the application. I was accepted today via email.. I read through the BU MAMS thread from 2009.. Alot of useful info in that thread, but I am not sure if they are up to date still.. It might be worth it to read regardless.

My stats are 3.26 cGPA, 3.16 sGPA, 33Q MCAT. Psych major, and have med field related publications.

Does anyone know how the MCAT score would work? I have some specific questions on how long the MCAT score is valid. My most recent MCAT score is AUG 2010 which was also my highest.. Would taking the two year track lead to the expiration of my MCAT score?

Where is everyone who is accepted/ going to the MAMS program from? I am from NYC.

Would like to say thanks to the posters on the 2009 thread, i encourage you guys to go read it..

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=612661

I filled everything out in the application. I was accepted today via email.. I read through the BU MAMS thread from 2009.. Alot of useful info in that thread, but I am not sure if they are up to date still.. It might be worth it to read regardless.

My stats are 3.26 cGPA, 3.16 sGPA, 33Q MCAT. Psych major, and have med field related publications.

Does anyone know how the MCAT score would work? I have some specific questions on how long the MCAT score is valid. My most recent MCAT score is AUG 2010 which was also my highest.. Would taking the two year track lead to the expiration of my MCAT score?

Where is everyone who is accepted/ going to the MAMS program from? I am from NYC.

Would like to say thanks to the posters on the 2009 thread, i encourage you guys to go read it..

I think the MCAT score expires after 3 years, which should be fine.
August 2010.. would mean you start class in 2011, apply 2012 so it would still be valid for that year. I think that's the last year you can use it though.
(2010-2011, 2011-2012, 2012-2013).

People in the MAMS program comes from nearly everywhere, so there should be a good distribution of students.

Not so sure about MCAT...I plan on retaking it either way.

From DC

I think the MCAT score expires after 3 years, which should be fine.
August 2010.. would mean you start class in 2011, apply 2012 so it would still be valid for that year. I think that's the last year you can use it though.
(2010-2011, 2011-2012, 2012-2013).

People in the MAMS program comes from nearly everywhere, so there should be a good distribution of students.

If I apply to med school in 2012 would I still be in the program? (Meaning I would still be taking classes/ doing research?) Any clues as to how this would work? also, would a 33Q still be competitive a year from now? I know its mostly speculation at this point.
Thanks for the response.