BU MAMS 2011-2012 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, i'll be going to BU MAMS in the fall as well. Hope to see everyone there that's going there. Formalities aside,

They sent out a book?

I didn't get a book either, but the website probably has most everything the book would have. I'm guessing they are getting with the times and just putting it online. I think I would have liked a book to eagerly thumb through though in my acceptance excitement. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, i'll be going to BU MAMS in the fall as well. Hope to see everyone there that's going there. Formalities aside,

They sent out a book?

i hear they will send out housing info in the summer? maybe thats the book?

what is this roommate match people are mentioning?

I thought that I would post some of the highlights of the BU MAMS Webinar that was presented today by the Assistant Director, Dr. Theresa Davies-Heerema. A major focus of the presentation was geared toward students who have not yet applied/been admitted into the MAMS program, but there were other important topics of the program that were addressed, which I recorded below.

Here are the notes that I took (I tried to keep out any info that is already on their website/been said on this thread/regarding admissions to MAMS) and I’m sorry if I am rehashing old info that was already stated:

While in the Program
It is highly stressed that NO Extracurriculars are recommended in the first year and all focus should be placed on taking the courses. This is because “students cannot underestimate how rigorous the courses are and cannot be working or volunteering in their first year.”

Most students DO NOT complete a concentration, and usually focus only on the required courses. Only 5-10% of MAMS students choose to do a concentration.

~10-20 students/170 do a dual MA/MPH degree (may apply before/during the program) and many apply AFTER the fall semester.

Immunology might not be offered as an elective next year.

Thesis may be completed outside of BUSM, at BMC, Boston Area, or your home state

Time Frame:

10% graduate in 1 yr – Apply to med school before attending the program

75% graduate in 2yrs – Apply to med school usually in the summer b/w yr 1&2; Fall/Spring year 2 do thesis, shadow, volunteer, tutor, work, and complete the program

15% graduate in 3 yrs (usually students that have 3.1-3.2 GPA) – Apply to med school in the summer of yr 2.

Advising
12 MAMS Advisors, many of whom are the course managers for many classes in the program

Offer study skills, mentoring, faculty/peer mentoring à LOR, personal statement, advise what is lacking in your med/dental school application, offer mock interviews

Assemble graduate letter package, LOR (Deans/Advisor letters, other faculty)

After Graduating from the MAMS Program
A strong performance (>3.5 GPA) in the MAMS program usually earns a BUSM interview.

70% Matriculate into a US Allopathic Medical School or Island Schools/Non-US schools

20% Matriculate into an Osteopathic Medical School

~20-25 students/170 are accepted each year to BUSM

These were the important points that I took from the presentation. I did not include the discussed criteria of admissions into the MAMS program, the admissions process, good candidacy, etc. since I wasn’t sure if anyone was interested. Let me know if you want me to post more details about that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought that I would post some of the highlights of the BU MAMS Webinar that was presented today by the Assistant Director, Dr. Theresa Davies-Heerema. A major focus of the presentation was geared toward students who have not yet applied/been admitted into the MAMS program, but there were other important topics of the program that were addressed, which I recorded below.

Here are the notes that I took (I tried to keep out any info that is already on their website/been said on this thread/regarding admissions to MAMS) and I’m sorry if I am rehashing old info that was already stated:

While in the Program
It is highly stressed that NO Extracurriculars are recommended in the first year and all focus should be placed on taking the courses. This is because “students cannot underestimate how rigorous the courses are and cannot be working or volunteering in their first year.”

Most students DO NOT complete a concentration, and usually focus only on the required courses. Only 5-10% of MAMS students choose to do a concentration.

~10-20 students/170 do a dual MA/MPH degree (may apply before/during the program) and many apply AFTER the fall semester.

Immunology might not be offered as an elective next year.

Thesis may be completed outside of BUSM, at BMC, Boston Area, or your home state

Time Frame:

75% graduate in 2yrs – Apply to med school usually in the summer b/w yr 1&2; Fall/Spring year 2 do thesis, shadow, volunteer, tutor, work, and complete the program

15% graduate in 3 yrs (usually students that have 3.1-3.2 GPA) – Apply to med school in the summer of yr 2.

Advising
12 MAMS Advisors, many of whom are the course managers for many classes in the program

Offer study skills, mentoring, faculty/peer mentoring à LOR, personal statement, advise what is lacking in your med/dental school application, offer mock interviews

Assemble graduate letter package, LOR (Deans/Advisor letters, other faculty)

After Graduating from the MAMS Program
A strong performance (>3.5 GPA) in the MAMS program usually earns a BUSM interview.

70% Matriculate into a US Allopathic Medical School or Island Schools/Non-US schools

20% Matriculate into an Osteopathic Medical School

These were the important points that I took from the presentation. I did not include the discussed criteria of admissions into the MAMS program, the admissions process, good candidacy, etc. since I wasn’t sure if anyone was interested. Let me know if you want me to post more details about that.

I am already accepted, but I was just wondering if you know how many people apply?

We were told that a larger number of applicants applied this year compared to last. There is over 700 applicants this year for over 170 seats compared to last year's 600 applicants for 174 seats.

Thx guju for the link and also rokkida for the webinar summary.

Edit: I suppose its too early to be expecting them to send out a book.

Last edited:
Thx guju for the link and also rokkida for the webinar summary.

Edit: I suppose its too early to be expecting them to send out a book.

No problem, yfi the last webinar this year is being held at 1pm on 5/24 for anyone who is interested. http://www.bumc.bu.edu/gms/academic...ences/webinar-and-q-a-ma-in-medical-sciences/

I have yet to receive this book as well, but hope they give it sooner than later.

Also, correction on my previous post after looking at my notes: 172 matriculated into 2010 BU MAMS last year. (Cause it's such a huge difference compared to the 174 I previously stated ;))

Congrats! I hope to be where you are in 2 years!

Hey guys congrats to those that have been accepted!
Sorry to be off topic here. Does anyone have any inside info on the oral health mams?:cool: like has the admissions commitee accepted students so far?
Any info would be much appreciated thanks

Is it possible to ask for more money, even exceeding COA? I'm just anxious on how the heck I'm going to survive with $20000/yr as a living expense when apartment will cost $1200-1500/month and they discourage to have a job.. :scared:

No, unfortunately you can't. The school as to certify most student loans, and by law they can't certify for more than COA.

There's maybe one self-certified loan out there, which would allow you to borrow more than COA, but use that option at your own peril, and ONLY after exhausting all your other options.

While in the Program

I'll second the hell outta that.

It's much better to realize after a semester or two that you can afford to take on more than to figure out you've overextended yourself when your grades start to suffer.

Time Frame:

Minor quibble here. Most folks, even those who finished the program in 1 yr (myself included) didn't successfully apply until the summer after they started. It's simply not possible for the MAMS program to do a lick of good for you by then. My opinion is that anyone who could get into medical school by applying the summer before even starting the MAMS program probably didn't need to waste their money or time on it in the first place.

Sometimes even more. This year, just about 30 of my classmates are former GMSers.

How are you or How did you search for housing options? I'm no where near Boston at this point and other than BU off-campus housing site, I'm not sure how else to look for places and I would truly appreciate your help! :thumbup:
hey, where are you coming from? I just got my BU accept today. not sure if I'm going yet but we have something in common

Last edited:
hey, where are you coming from? I just got my BU accept today. not sure if I'm going yet but we have something in common (huskies)

Hoover, Alabama! :D Near Birmingham, Alabama.. At this point, after the detrimental tornadoes @ Tuscaloosa, Alabama, I am volunteering to foster more pups that were lost. So, there's a possibility that I may have more than one pup by September! :laugh:

Anyway, Congrats on your acceptance!! I wish to see you on the orientation day and we will have more than one thing in common! :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm looking for a nice dudey or a girly that is willing to share 2br/2ba at James Court. It seems to run around $3000 and we will equally share the cost and other utilities. I have been doing lots of research around the town (Brookline, Arlington, Brighton, Fenway, South Boston, Jamaica Plain,, etc) and it seems like even with 2-3 roommates, it will cost $700-900 and some more for utilities. And I'm just not quite sure if that will be worth the waste of amount of time and stress that I may have to deal by commuting. Thus at least for the first year, I would love to stay at the South End and I think James Court would be a great option! I have a very loving and social Siberian Husky puppy and please keep in mind that although he does not bark, he talks to you at times. :laugh:
I have not applied for any rooms yet, and James Court just appears to be the best option, however, if you already have a place at South End and need someone to cut the cost down, please let me know!

Thus at least for the first year, I would love to stay at the South End and I think James Court would be a great option! I have a very loving and social Siberian Husky puppy and please keep in mind that although he does not bark, he talks to you at times. :laugh:

Ah, the pet - James Court is pet-friendly so you lucked out :) For anyone else who's thinking of renting at other apartments though, make sure you triple-check with the landlord that they're OK with one. Landlords are very picky, but I find that the South End is generally pet-friendly with a nice dog park near Union Sq :thumbup:

Hoover, Alabama! :D Near Birmingham, Alabama.. At this point, after the detrimental tornadoes @ Tuscaloosa, Alabama, I am volunteering to foster more pups that were lost. So, there's a possibility that I may have more than one pup by September! :laugh:

Anyway, Congrats on your acceptance!! I wish to see you on the orientation day and we will have more than one thing in common! :smuggrin:
I was watching the calamity on tv today--hope you're doing ok. Are you the one who's married (or is there another snder with a husky)? I'm relocating from 3000 miles away so I need to think it over. How dog-friendly is Boston?nI'm v happy to be accepted and I'll find you if I decide to go there!

Last edited:
I was watching the calamity on tv today--hope you're doing ok. Are you the one who's married (or is there another snder with a husky)?

I'm relocating from 3000 miles away so I need to think it over. How dog-friendly is Boston? I def need a fenced dog park nearby. I'm v happy to be accepted and I'll find you if I decide to go there!

My town did not get hit, however, Tuscaloosa (only 40 minutes drive) was absolutely devastated and I'm volunteering to help from this weekend cleaning up and fostering few pups that lost homes from the tornadoes.

I am engaged to a person with a toddler, but I don't think we will move together anymore. So, it's just me and my pup.

I heard Boston is very dog friendly and plenty of dog parks, indoor facilities, and beaches nearby. And if I am not mistaken, you can take puppies to subways, too! :love:

I heard Boston is very dog friendly and plenty of dog parks, indoor facilities, and beaches nearby. And if I am not mistaken, you can take puppies to subways, too! :love:

Yikes. Dog parks, yes. Indoor facilities - I'm not sure what you mean; I know some cafes are very dog-friendly. Beaches, I have yet to see "nearby", but if you mean "easily accessible"...if you own a car, then yes you can drive to a beach! People rarely bring their pets on the subway since it can get hectic/you don't want your pet smushed. Generally, if you're walking your dog, you'll ...walk it, and not subway-it, if you know what I mean!

Also, for those of you who are thinking of bringing pets - make sure your pet & you are aware of/can handle Boston weather. Having to worry about your Biochem exam and walking your dog in a snowstorm at the same time can be stressful!

I heard Boston is very dog friendly and plenty of dog parks, indoor facilities, and beaches nearby.
that's a pro for Boston.
Yikes. Dog parks, yes.
Also, for those of you who are thinking of bringing pets - make sure your pet & you are aware of/can handle Boston weather.
Huskies were born for snowstorms! are fenced dog parks nearby?

Last edited:
I just took my dog to a Boston beach today. You can take the blue line up to revere beach, but you are not allowed to have dogs on the beach from may to September; I went up to nahant and did it anyway but you have to drive to get there. There's some very dog friendly state parks shortly outside the city but beyond the subways.(Im in framingham a lot visiting my bf and I take my dogs with me sometimes)

BU is very old school. They have a lot of professors who use chalk boards or white boards to write on instead of powerpoints for everything.

Thanks for clarifying, gujuDoc. I also had no idea about the syllabus being different than in undergrad, so thanks for that heads-up too.

Back to the topic of pets... am I the only cat lover here? :p

Hello everybody! I was recently accepted to the BU MAMS and am currently waitlisted for the Georgetown SMP. Since it is so late in the game and I am already beginning to stress about finding living quarters and settling in early, I will most likely be attending BU this year.

I know this question has been covered in previous and the current thread, but I wanted to ask if anybody else can clarify this for me: are there truly no chances of getting a BU interview following a ONE YEAR completion of the BU MAMS? I will be a re-applicant this year and already have 4 years of research experience and 2 years of clinical experience, so I am sending in all of my apps before the MAMS program starts. The reason I was so anxiously leaning towards G-town is due to the information circulating on this thread about the BU advisors NOT being very supportive of their students finishing the program in one year (versus G-town, where they famously want you to be done within one year). I had a friend who completed the MAMS program and was accepted to medical school the following year but didn't even get a LOR from any of the advisors because they were so off-putting when she asked about graduating from the MAMS in one year! Any thoughts on this topic?

I just took my dog to a Boston beach today. You can take the blue line up to revere beach, but you are not allowed to have dogs on the beach from may to September; I went up to nahant and did it anyway but you have to drive to get there. There's some very dog friendly state parks shortly outside the city but beyond the subways.(Im in framingham a lot visiting my bf and I take my dogs with me sometimes)
btw the closer/better beach from bu would probably be the one by JFK/UMASS

Yes there is no chance of getting into BUSM for Med school but that doesn't mean you won't be able to get into your state school or elsewhere. you just won't have a dean's letter. But you can get individual letters to update schools after first semester and update the grades on your own with unofficial transcripts or official transcripts after fall grades come out.

I don't know if this is entirely true.

There is definitely a chance of interviewing with BUSM during your first year in the MAMS program. I know of at least one individual who interviewed with BUSM and got waitlisted. There may be more.

Ok let me rephrase its not that you won't get to interview but even if you do chances are u will be waitlisted.

And to get that interview you'd have to already be pretty strong of an applicant at BU. it is what I observed when i was there and heard from multiple sources.

Greater chance in that situation where you don't wait a year is to get into ur own state schools or elsewhere.

This is absolutely true.

Is there a fb page for BU MAMS students who start this year?

Is there a fb page for BU MAMS students who start this year?

I have been periodically searching for one since I got accepted a couple months ago and haven't found one; and I haven't wanted to be the person who starts it :laugh:
I'm hoping someone starts one

I have been periodically searching for one since I got accepted a couple months ago and haven't found one; and I haven't wanted to be the person who starts it :laugh:
I'm hoping someone starts one

do it!

Ok let me rephrase its not that you won't get to interview but even if you do chances are u will be waitlisted.

And to get that interview you'd have to already be pretty strong of an applicant at BU. it is what I observed when i was there and heard from multiple sources.

Greater chance in that situation where you don't wait a year is to get into ur own state schools or elsewhere.

Hey gujuDoc,

Can you please clarify this?

Students who complete the curriculum in 1 year will not likely be accepted to BUSM the same academic year OR students who complete the curriculum in 1 year will not likely be accepted to BUSM?

Now, these two statements are different as there are students who want to get into BUSM the same year they are taking classes whereas the other type of student is able to complete the curriculum in 1 year and will apply following the completion of this year (thus creating a glide year).

I was a bit confused on which your response was directed towards as I believe the member you were replying to was inquiring about applying for medical school following the completion of the program in 1 year.

Thanks!

Hey gujuDoc,

Can you please clarify this?

Students who complete the curriculum in 1 year will not likely be accepted to BUSM the same academic year OR students who complete the curriculum in 1 year will not likely be accepted to BUSM?

Now, these two statements are different as there are students who want to get into BUSM the same year they are taking classes whereas the other type of student is able to complete the curriculum in 1 year and will apply following the completion of this year (thus creating a glide year).

I was a bit confused on which your response was directed towards as I believe the member you were replying to was inquiring about applying for medical school following the completion of the program in 1 year.

Thanks!

Relax! The only reason why a one-year completion would hurt you is if you had relatively weak grades. Otherwise, there's no difference. But for all the reasons I and guju have mentioned above, it is very rare for students to be accepted to the MED during their first year.

Okay, so what you explained was essentially what I have previously concluded.

If I do attend BU, I would probably only stay 1 year for the MAMS program. My intention all along was to complete it in 1 year, however I will not graduate until the completion of the lab portion in Summer 2012. I was planning on applying to medical school during Summer 2012, but not sure if the summer session will affect this schedule.

I was also admitted into the MPH program, so another option is to pursue a dual degree MAMS/MPH in 2 years, thus allowing me to make use of the glide year. However, this is an expensive route and the MPH degree might not prove to be very useful for medical school admissions. Regardless of this, I still want to complete the MAMS curriculum in 1 year (Fall 2011 - Summer 2012) without interfering with applying to medical school (Summer 2012). Will this be plausible?

I'm starting to look into some housing. If anyone's interested in sharing an apt, send me a PM?

I'm trying to get somewhere near south end to not have to deal with traffic allowing for a quick walk to campus/classes.

Okay, so what you explained was essentially what I have previously concluded.

If I do attend BU, I would probably only stay 1 year for the MAMS program. My intention all along was to complete it in 1 year, however I will not graduate until the completion of the lab portion in Summer 2012. I was planning on applying to medical school during Summer 2012, but not sure if the summer session will affect this schedule.

I was also admitted into the MPH program, so another option is to pursue a dual degree MAMS/MPH in 2 years, thus allowing me to make use of the glide year. However, this is an expensive route and the MPH degree might not prove to be very useful for medical school admissions. Regardless of this, I still want to complete the MAMS curriculum in 1 year (Fall 2011 - Summer 2012) without interfering with applying to medical school (Summer 2012). Will this be plausible?

When you say "lab portion", do you mean to imply that you'll be completing a lab thesis? If so, it will be a bit more difficult than you probably imagine to finish in a year. Most of the folks who finished in a year completed a library thesis. It's a surprisingly large investment of time to find a research project, let alone actually do the research and have enough to write a thesis about.

As for the MPH, I couldn't tell you. Not having one certainly hasn't hurt me.

The people who finish lab theses in a year rather then a library thesis to finish the program in a year have usually done one of the following:

1. Picked up where they left off at a lab they've already been at for 4-5 years i.e. where they were in ugrad. This is esp. easy for bostonians entering the program.
or

2. They sacrificed taking some of the non required med classes like histo to be able to have time to do lab thesis while in classes making their load lighter. I'd recommend against this option. Point of an SMP is to do med classes and show you can handle med school.

Therefore, to graduatae in a year more often then not it will be library literature review thesis in summer for pass/fail rather then qualifying for 8 credits of A.

That is correct, gujuDoc. Through a one year curriculum, I will have complete a library thesis as there will not be enough time to complete a research thesis. Like you mentioned, there are some who sacrificed enrolling in important classes that will improve chances in medical school admission in order to complete a research thesis. I will not be taking this route as I do want to make myself as competitive as possible. I do see taking more classes, albeit a balanced course load, to be more beneficial than reducing course load to complete a research thesis.

That is correct, gujuDoc. Through a one year curriculum, I will have complete a library thesis as there will not be enough time to complete a research thesis. Like you mentioned, there are some who sacrificed enrolling in important classes that will improve chances in medical school admission in order to complete a research thesis. I will not be taking this route as I do want to make myself as competitive as possible. I do see taking more classes, albeit a balanced course load, to be more beneficial than reducing course load to complete a research thesis.

Solid plan, incidentally exactly what I did.

Solid plan, incidentally exactly what I did.

Sounds great. If you don't mind, can you tell me how you performed in the program (GPA & perhaps courses taken) and when you interviewed for medical school? Of course, any additional information you might want to share will be very helpful!

Sounds great. If you don't mind, can you tell me how you performed in the program (GPA & perhaps courses taken) and when you interviewed for medical school? Of course, any additional information you might want to share will be very helpful!

+1 for this. You can send a pm or put your post here!

+1 for this. You can send a pm or put your post here!

Keep in mind, they may have changed the curriculum around a bit (now they have different paths, etc.), but here are the particulars:

For the Fall 2008 semester, I took Biochemistry/Cell Biology, Introduction to Pharmacology, and Biostatistics with Computers. In the Spring 2009 semester, I took Physiology, Histology, and Endocrinology, as well as that Biomed Info course they make GMSers take.

I was able to manage a 4.0 in the program, which took a lot of work, but it pays dividends.

I applied during the summer of 2009, and interviewed in December 2009 at BUSM. I got the acceptance telephone call in January. The circumstances around my acceptance may be a bit different from the norm, however. My undergraduate grades were very, very low.

Keep in mind, they may have changed the curriculum around a bit (now they have different paths, etc.), but here are the particulars:

For the Fall 2008 semester, I took Biochemistry/Cell Biology, Introduction to Pharmacology, and Biostatistics with Computers. In the Spring 2009 semester, I took Physiology, Histology, and Endocrinology, as well as that Biomed Info course they make GMSers take.

I was able to manage a 4.0 in the program, which took a lot of work, but it pays dividends.

I applied during the summer of 2009, and interviewed in December 2009 at BUSM. I got the acceptance telephone call in January. The circumstances around my acceptance may be a bit different from the norm, however. My undergraduate grades were very, very low.

Are there any tips you wish you knew before you went in? You clearly did
phenomenally so you must have some great tips or suggestions as to how to do well. :D

Despite your low undergraduate grades, you persevered through the MAMS curriculum and obviously proved to the admission committee that you are fully capable of graduate level coursework.

I hope I can do the same as you have and be admitted into medical school upon the completion of the program.

How did you do on the MCAT?

Despite your low undergraduate grades, you persevered through the MAMS curriculum and obviously proved to the admission committee that you are fully capable of graduate level coursework.

I hope I can do the same as you have and be admitted into medical school upon the completion of the program.

How did you do on the MCAT?

I ended up with a 38.

I finished my classes in May of 2009, and then spent the entirety of the summer basically doing two things: Working on my thesis and studying for the MCAT.

My situation might be a little bit different than other people, so I should clarify a few things. First of all, I was older than the majority of my fellow GMSers, so I wasn't very involved in social activities. This might sound like a bummer, but it actually allowed me to devote a significantly larger amount of time to schoolwork. I made some great friends all the same. Second, my undergrad grades were sufficiently low that nothing less than a stellar performance in the MAMS program would be sufficient to get me into med school.

At the same time, though, I should clarify that I don't think I did anything particularly special. I just worked my butt off, and found what works for me by trial and error. I have a treasure trove of tips and tricks that worked for me, and I'm happy to share them with people if they'd like.

At the same time, though, I should clarify that I don't think I did anything particularly special. I just worked my butt off, and found what works for me by trial and error. I have a treasure trove of tips and tricks that worked for me, and I'm happy to share them with people if they'd like.

Nothing but good old hard work. :) Great job on the MCAT score too.

I would love to hear your tips and tricks. You can either PM me or share them here if you'll like.

Nothing but good old hard work. :) Great job on the MCAT score too.

I would love to hear your tips and tricks. You can either PM me or share them here if you'll like.

I would love to hear them too, so if you could include me on that PM it would be much appreciated.

I don't think I will be attending any more, I got off the waitlist for RFU BMS and with my grades, getting into any medical school is the first priority.

Good luck to all and hope you guys rock next year!

Hm, so just fyi, I checked on the instructions for 2012 AMCAS and it looks like Pharmacology is not considered a BPCM course.

Does anyone know a good BU MAMS elective to replace that class?

Hm, so just fyi, I checked on the instructions for 2012 AMCAS and it looks like Pharmacology is not considered a BPCM course.

Does anyone know a good BU MAMS elective to replace that class?

it is considered a BCPM. It's a "medical pharmacology" course, not your generic undergraduate pharmacology :p I wouldn't bother trying to deviate from the track anyway. on a slightly relevant note, it's not the name of the course that's important but the content, and medicine...being medicine is basically BCPM for everything.

Hello, does anyone happen to be looking for a roommate? Or how to go about looking for one?

a facebook group was made for prospective & incoming students:
the group name is "BU GMS / MAMS 2011"