BU Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How much is living around at main campus? also 800?

Members don't see this ad.

How much is living around at main campus? also 800?

It depends on how many roommates you have. I would say that $800/per person is good for splitting a 3 bedroom anywhere in Boston.

I think that apts cost about:

Studio - $1000-$1300/mo
1BR - $1300-$1800/mo
2BR - $1400-2200/mo
3BR - $2000+/mo

Obviously you can get more expensive than this and you may find cheaper.

So, I received my financial aid info today...no grants, but a subsidized institutional loan, which is not bad. How was everyone else's aid?

Members don't see this ad :)
Haven't received mine yet. What's the interest rate on the subsidized loan? What's the estimated Cost of Attendance? Please share.

So, I received my financial aid info today...no grants, but a subsidized institutional loan, which is not bad. How was everyone else's aid?

exciting! when did you turn in all of your financial stuff?

I turned my stuff in pretty early because I was accepted in January. This is the gist of what I got in my e-mail today...

NSTITUTIONAL AID
FALL
SPRING

Wolfson Loan
$5,575
$ 2,600

TOTAL
$5,575
$2,600

FEDERAL DIRECT LOAN AID
FALL
SPRING
Subsidized
$ 4,250
$ 4,250
Unsubsidized
$ 6,000
$ 6,000
Super-Unsubsidized
$ 10,556
$ 10,555
TOTAL
$ 20,806
$ 20,805

The standard student expense budget for your class during the 2008-2009 academic year, as well as projected budgets for future years, is:

2008-2009

2009-2010

2010-2011

2011-2012

Tuition

$44,786

$46,577

$48,440

$50,378

School Fees

$ 2,497

$ 3,037

$ 3,633

$ 3,140

Books and Supplies

$ 2,902

$ 2,328

$ 641

$ 654

Room and Board

$12,219

$11,807

$16,058

$15,214

Personal Expenses

$ 3,156

$ 3,050

$ 4,148

$ 3,878

Transportation

$ 2,060

$ 2,224

$ 3,393

$ 4,052

TOTAL

$67,620

$69,023
$76,313

$77,316

You may supplement these funds with a Graduate Federal Direct PLUS and/or private loan. Your eligibility for these forms of assistance is subject to citizenship, enrollment and credit history requirements. The combination of all sources of assistance may not exceed your budget for the 2008-2009 academic year. If you borrow the maximum amount available every year, you may graduate with substantial debt. Therefore, we encourage you to rely as much as possible on sources of funding from family, friends, or outside scholarship programs which can be found at www.bumc.bu.edu/osfs/med/scholarshipalerts. We also urge you to keep your expenses within the standard budget.

Wolfson loan is BU subsidized loan - 5% interest begins a year after graduation from BU. Super-unsubsidized federal loan is the same thing as unsubsidized, except that it's only given to health professions students. The interest right now for federal loans is 6.8%

i'm pretty new to all this loans stuff. but assuming i get a similar financial aid package as you, eagle, are we expected to get the rest of the 50-odd grand per year on our own, through private loan companies?

i'm pretty new to all this loans stuff. but assuming i get a similar financial aid package as you, eagle, are we expected to get the rest of the 50-odd grand per year on our own, through private loan companies?

I'm pretty sure you can get the rest through the Perkins loan, as it says in the e-mail. It's pretty easily done, and you can do it through BU website, I think.

Apartment rented as of 4/21/08.

Aaah, just shoot me now... The loan stuff is killing me...:scared::scared:

$67,620 for the first year is not bad at all. I mean...it's a lot of money but it's only a 3.2% increase from last year's. I was expecting it to be $70,000+.
I am also anxiously waiting for my financial aid packet (turned in all my financial aid stuff at the end of March).

Do any of you who are going to the Open House on May 3 know what the "dress code" is? I figured business casual but I thought I would ask before I showed up over dressed...:cool:

I don't think there's a dress code...I don't even want to dress business casual, I want to be comfortable...this is BU's chance to impress us, we already impressed BU.

Members don't see this ad :)
True (we did already impress them)!! Casual it is then...

True (we did already impress them)!! Casual it is then...

Nice! And in case its just the two of us who are in casual, then we'll know who the other person is...

hey... is anyone staying in a hotel? ill be coming from california and it would really be much cheaper if i split a hotel or something with someone going to 2nd look... or would someone be kind enough to accomendate me for the weekend? ill defiantly buy u a few drinks :)

pm me

Nice! And in case its just the two of us who are in casual, then we'll know who the other person is...

I will most likely be casual as well...i've shown up to 3 second looks hungover so far, haha and i figure i may as well keep it a pattern...and nothing helps a hangover like being comfortable.

to thejonqproject, you should check out the hosting thread (it's stickied) in the pre-allo forum, there's probably someone there in boston who wouldn't mind hosting you. I'm crashing on a friend's couch or i'd offer.

Do any of you who are going to the Open House on May 3 know what the "dress code" is? I figured business casual but I thought I would ask before I showed up over dressed...:cool:

I'm a BUSM I and will be volunteering at the 2nd look this year. There definitely is no dress code. That being said, I went business casual and I would say the majority of the class did as well, just because you're meeting the Dean, shaking his hand and it's your first impression on potential peers. Plus I always go with the philosophy - you can never be overdressed for an event. Definitely nobody was wearing their suit or a tie. People showed up in jeans my year too though, so don't feel obligated one way or the other. Even as a volunteer though, I'll probably come business casual.

I'm a BUSM I and will be volunteering at the 2nd look this year. There definitely is no dress code. That being said, I went business casual and I would say the majority of the class did as well, just because you're meeting the Dean, shaking his hand and it's your first impression on potential peers. Plus I always go with the philosophy - you can never be overdressed for an event. Definitely nobody was wearing their suit or a tie. People showed up in jeans my year too though, so don't feel obligated one way or the other. Even as a volunteer though, I'll probably come business casual.

Thanks for letting us know! Now, what's this event that they have planned for us after the open house?

Well thank you for mentioning that.... Eagle34 it looks like our casual plan is no longer valid. Big people clothes for everyone, hehe;)

do you know when we'll receive BU accounts? like email account

do you know when we'll receive BU accounts? like email account

I want to know too...especially since I'm losing my undergrad e-mail account almost right after graduation.

Yea, does anybody know what this "social" is after the open house??

They're taking you to the Beantown Pub. If it was similar to last year, the drinks were not free unfortunately, but there were free appetizers and they rented out a private area of the bar. Some first years will probably attend too.

Free snack is good for me, since I don't drink, unless it's LI sweet, I mean really sweet.

Business casual, that means no bleached mohawks? :smuggrin:

I want to know too...especially since I'm losing my undergrad e-mail account almost right after graduation.

I spoke to one of the professors at BUSM and she did not know an exact date but she said that if she remembered correctly we would receive information about classes and email and stuff in June...so I am assuming that after we all submit the deposit and they have an idea of who is in the entering class, they will give us passwords and stuff.

Also I heard that our white coat ceremony is moved from last year... it is on Aug 11th now and that they basically changed the entire schedule for first year. So we have a different classes and stuff than the students before us.

I spoke to one of the professors at BUSM and she did not know an exact date but she said that if she remembered correctly we would receive information about classes and email and stuff in June...so I am assuming that after we all submit the deposit and they have an idea of who is in the entering class, they will give us passwords and stuff.

Also I heard that our white coat ceremony is moved from last year... it is on Aug 11th now and that they basically changed the entire schedule for first year. So we have a different classes and stuff than the students before us.

Wow, that's pretty interesting...it'll be good to hear about the new changes during the pen house, hopefully all these changes are for the better. It's also interesting that the white coat ceremony is now Aug 11, which I think, is our first day of orientation.

One more thing...I have a family friend who graduated BU Med, did his residency at BMC and is not a fellow there in orthopedic surgery, and this is what he had to say about the clinical years at BUSM:

"How's it going? I guess its good that MSI and MSII are P/F because that take some pressure off. As far as the clinicals go, they can be pretty busy. My experience was that you do get pimped and are expected to know your patients on all rotations and work very hard without complaints on surgery rotations, along with always being prepared for surgery cases. My experience and best advice for clinicals regardless of where you go to med school is very simple.....brush up on your acting and learn to play the game. More specifically, the clinical years are bull****. It doesn't matter how much you know but how well you feign interest in your rotations. i.e. don't ever tell one of your pediatric residents or attendings that you want to do CT surgery...they will invariably take it the wrong way and rather than presuming you are a stellar medical student aiming high they will assume you have no interest in pediatrics. Also be able to belittle yourself to a petty slave and chase your interns trying to do as much scut work as possible rather than studying or learning in the conference room while they handle their mundane tasks. Maybe this is cynical, but I believe it to be true and probably the most important thing I can tell you. So remain ostensibly undecided about what you want to do and tell everybody on rotation that you are keeping an open mind, or better yet, lie through your teeth and tell the OB/GYN residents you're considering their field. Clearly the clinicals will become more important if the preclinical years are P/F. Good luck and feel free to get in touch with any more questions."

That's some interesting advice your friend gave you... I can't say that I'm surprised. I guess diplomacy and fawn almost never go wrong. My friend who graduated from BU said that year 1 and 2 were torture, though back then it wasn't P/F for the first 2 years. The clinical years were better. I think I'll ask her some more. Speaking of which, does BU internally rank you?

Did the admin say why White Coat is so early this year? Don't we have a bunch of classes starting August 11, like Ethics, Biostatistics?

That's some interesting advice your friend gave you... I can't say that I'm surprised. I guess diplomacy and fawn almost never go wrong. My friend who graduated from BU said that year 1 and 2 were torture, though back then it wasn't P/F for the first 2 years. The clinical years were better. I think I'll ask her some more. Speaking of which, does BU internally rank you?

Did the admin say why White Coat is so early this year? Don't we have a bunch of classes starting August 11, like Ethics, Biostatistics?

I'm not sure about the ranking...but August 11th is the first day of orientation so I'm surprised as well white White Coat is so early.

I'm wondering if 2 is the maximum number of guests you can invite like last year. I hope they would increase more slots with the tuition hike XD.

I'm not sure about the ranking...but August 11th is the first day of orientation so I'm surprised as well white White Coat is so early.

One reason I've heard is that it's so that parents who want to come out and check out the school when their children start don't have to come back again. Seems rather sentimental, but being that I'm from the west coast, I'm sure my parents appreciate the gesture.

One reason I've heard is that it's so that parents who want to come out and check out the school when their children start don't have to come back again. Seems rather sentimental, but being that I'm from the west coast, I'm sure my parents appreciate the gesture.

That's definitely the reason. My parents came out for White Coat last year which was held maybe a month into school when we were already studying for Anatomy so it was really difficult to spend any time with them. Also, tickets aren't checked at the White Coat Ceremony and last year there were a lot of open seats. Just make sure your parents get there maybe even an hour early so that they can sit close to the front because you're not allowed to come up to the stage to take pictures, at least you weren't last year. Anyways, if you want to bring extra guests, they should easily be able to come.

Thanks for the schedule. I've never seen any other med school schedule, but is it normal to have classes so early in August? Anatomy, IP and ICM in the 2nd week of August?

Thanks for the schedule. I've never seen any other med school schedule, but is it normal to have classes so early in August? Anatomy, IP and ICM in the 2nd week of August?

This is what the Professor I met with sent me about the curriculum changes...

"BUSM I 2008-09 In response to recommendations from the LCME and initiatives of the Medical Education Committee and Preclinical Curriculum Subcommittee, the first-year curriculum has been under revision by the BUSM I course managers with a two-year implementation plan. In the first phase, 2007-08, the start date was shifted two weeks earlier to mid-August for an orientation program on medicine as a profession, its ethical foundations, and the analytical tools for the practice of evidence-based medicine. A second major innovation was implementation of Bacus virtual microscopy for teaching histology, which allowed for more flexibility in curricular scheduling. In the second phase, 2008-09, BUSM I will begin with the White Coat Ceremony on the first day, August 11. The new curriculum will introduce students to Biochemistry and Cell Biology early in the first year (rather than in the second semester), along with Gross Anatomy, Human Behavior in Medicine, Integrated Problems, and Introduction to Clinical Medicine (ICM 1). In part because of an increase in the number of weeks in the fall semester, the neuroscience course will begin in December with an exam prior to intersession and then end in January. It is anticipated that this schedule will serve to decompress this intense integrated systems course. The Histology course will be shifted to the spring semester and coordinated with the courses in Physiology, Genetics, Immunology and Integrated Problems in an organ system-based context (cardiovascular, gastrointestinal, respiratory, hematologic, renal, endocrine). Also in the spring, a core curriculum for ICM 1 will include eight online modules on the patient-doctor encounter and interview techniques, as well as introductory physical exam workshops and clinical visits. Physical exam videos have incorporated review of anatomy and other curricular components. The enhanced coordination of the first-year curriculum will allow for increased independent study time and an earlier end date for the first-year (May 22, 2009). The planning includes changes in the corresponding GMS courses for pathway and MA students to continue the option of advanced standing on BUSM I enrollment."

Wow, this is interesting...Jeez, it's crazy to read about all these classes for next year as I'm studying for my molecular bio exam tomorrow...

I have to echo Eagle34's comments...wow! It's funny because I am feeling a lot of apathy towards my remaining classes this year, but a lot of enthusiasm for BUSM I this Fall. Anyone else experiencing this dichotomy??

I have to echo Eagle34's comments...wow! It's funny because I am feeling a lot of apathy towards my remaining classes this year, but a lot of enthusiasm for BUSM I this Fall. Anyone else experiencing this dichotomy??

Definitely. I'm in all humanities classes now, and suddenly I can't wait to get to med school!

Wow, all these classes. I took a year off after college grad, so I better crack open a book or two to get my brain up to speed again. It looks like a very intense first year/first semester. A little freaked out but excited too.

You can say that again...All I have left are a bunch of Gen. Ed classes and I can barely push myself to do my homework... I cannot wait to start at BU and move up to Boston though, it is all so exciting. :p

You can say that again...All I have left are a bunch of Gen. Ed classes and I can barely push myself to do my homework... I cannot wait to start at BU and move up to Boston though, it is all so exciting. :p

I have no motivation left here...I just finished my molecular bio exam and it's my last exam of undergrad career...all I have left is projects for molecular bio and biochem....but motivation is totally out the window now. Excited to meet everyone soon!

Hi All,

Can someone give me the long/short on financial aid? Our MS1 budget is $67.6K. The majority of it goes to tuition, as yall know. However, the $ they designate for ROOM+BOARD comes out to about 1286/month!

Wait, BU is really in Boston right?

When I called the OSFS to ask about fin aid, they said NO to increasing my budget to cover room and board expenses. If the OSFS won't increase my budget, then lenders won't give me more money (prob a good thing) because all loans have to be approved by the OSFS (correct me if I'm wrong).

I read in another post that some students borrow more money than they anticipate needing, and the extra money just sits in a money market account and is applied to your account for the next academic year.

Any input? Does the OSFS really have such tight control over the loans we take out? What about housing- is it resonable to assume $1200/month will cover rent/heating/electric/water/parking? For anyone living in Boston, do many BUSM students bring their cars?

Thanks everybody.

I don't think many BU students bring cars unless they are planning on living outside of Boston proper...or have enough bank to pay for keeping a car in Boston (hint: it is very expensive!) Most students seem to have roommates, which will lower your monthly expenses. I haven't gotten my financial aid yet, so I can't comment on that final amount though. Remember, you can work during the summer and get three months of income to supplement your loans.

First 1200$ for room an board per month is more than enough to live in Boston....with a roommate. My boyfriend and I are living together and rent + utilities costs us 750$ a month. This leaves me 450$ for other stuff. So even though it seems like very little you will probably be fine. Granted I do not know if you have a family or not to support but for one person its more than enough.:)

P.S. Our 750$ also includes parking. Though I do not think that most students will have a car.

Lshapley, I just read your student profile... I also interviewed at BU on 11/28, I must have seen or met you!!

LOL! There were a bunch of us...but I don't remember meeting anyone that day from Rhode Island. I'm sure I would remember you if I saw you though.