BU Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Most likely, I am matriculating at BUSM this fall. Regarding to the housing options, archstone boston common seems like a great option. 1.3 miles to school is not bad (within a walking distance). There is also Harrison court, which is next to campus. It might be much better if we can get a bit cheaper option somewhere in South End. Do you also think living near main campus and taking a free shuttle to the school can also be a good option?
Hi all
As you can see I am quite new here, so please be nice! I am still in shock that I got accepted to BUSM as they were my top choice school (out of the ten I interviewed at). I've sent in my forms, I'll see you all at the open house in May, and I'll be there this fall. It seems as though there is a lot of indecision going around this forum regarding whether or not to attend BUSM...I was wondering: Who is definately matriculating this fall? I was just looking to start meeting my future friends and colleagues, so I figured that I'd ask.

Also, since I'm currently at Boston College, my proximity gave me a chance to stop over in the BUSM area and take a second look. I really do love the school, the mini-campus, and the surrounding area. I was wondering though, for those planning to attend, what do you have in mind for housing?

There is a very upscale apartment complex (Archstone Boston Common) right next to Tufts NEMC and about 1.3 mile walk to BUSM (the T stop is also right outside of the apartments. These apartments are really expensive but they have a program for affordable housing options for low-income families/students like us. I was seriously considering this option but was wondering if anyone feels it might still be too disconnected from the campus to let me foster new friendships and just keep in touch with everyone. Is this a rediculous concern?

Thanks for reading and I look forward to meeting those who come to BUSM next Fall.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm graduating Tufts this year and i'm def coming to BU in the fall! whooo boston!

Sounds good! May I ask if you applied to/have been accepted by Tufts Medical? I am still under "active consideration" there but would stick to BUSM even if I was ultimately accepted at TUSM.

Anyway, see you next year!

Most likely, I am matriculating at BUSM this fall. Regarding to the housing options, archstone boston common seems like a great option. 1.3 miles to school is not bad (within a walking distance). There is also Harrison court, which is next to campus. It might be much better if we can get a bit cheaper option somewhere in South End. Do you also think living near main campus and taking a free shuttle to the school can also be a good option?

Hey AEIOU!

Awesome, I'll see you next year! Harrison Court is supposed to be pretty nice too. I've heard some people say that being a bit further from the medical campus can be a plus ("getting away from it all", etc.). On a similar note, there are current BUSM students who have told me that living near the main campus is good option. The shuttle is fast/free/dependable, and the proximity to BU undergraduate gives you convenient access to their really nice gym/facilities. I am still thinking Archstone given the pure quality of the place for a price cheaper than Harrison Court/etc...at least, if I get qualified for the "Within Your Reach" program...we'll see.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds good! May I ask if you applied to/have been accepted by Tufts Medical? I am still under "active consideration" there but would stick to BUSM even if I was ultimately accepted at TUSM.

Anyway, see you next year!

I did apply to TUSM, and have been under active consideration for a while. I will also be going to BUSM even if I got accepted to TUSM, so I'll probably be withdrawing from there pretty soon.

what makes you guys choose busm over tufts? just wondering :)

I am definitely going to BU this fall. As a matter of fact, my name tag (for Open House) would say Name Coming this Fall. :)

Living near campus/SouthEnd is so expensive, and Harrison Court is :eek: costly. I'll be biking or biking to MainCampus and shuttle. Shuttle runs every 15 min at peak times and 30 minutes otherwise (an MS2 told me). She said it's farily reliable.

Maybe I can find some roommates at the Open House.:idea:

I've spent a lot of time at TUSM the past four years, doing research and volunteering in the ER. It's a good school but from hearing student feedback, I think the clinical exposure component of BU seems to be more rigurous than at TUSM. In terms of first 2 years, they are hard in both schools. I also actually like BUSM curriculum a little better right now...but Tufts is trying to adopt a new curriculum that is based on BU's curriculum. Also, there is major construction going on at TUSM the next 2 years.

(It's funny, in the beginning of the year, a story ran in Tufts Daily, with a title of something like "TUSM trying to catch BUSM with new curriculum and student resources")

But isn't BUSM undergoing active construction as well?

But isn't BUSM undergoing active construction as well?

BU has made second year a true pass fail and completely integrated the curriculum for that year- its now basically all one big class taught in a systems based way. Also first year has been rearranged a bit and neuro is being decompressed. I think that will give us a little more free time than this first year had. Its going to be a little better I think

BU has made second year a true pass fail and completely integrated the curriculum for that year- its now basically all one big class taught in a systems based way. Also first year has been rearranged a bit and neuro is being decompressed. I think that will give us a little more free time than this first year had. Its going to be a little better I think

more free time...never thought i'd hear those words!

Hi!

After interviewing at both, I prefer BUSM over TUSM for a couple of reasons. First of all, and this is entirely subjective, I enjoyed the feel of the campus and surrounding BUMC. Secondly, Dean Witzberg, the staff, and the students really made me feel more at home and confortable than at TUSM. Third of all, I do prefer their systems-based curriculum and their P/F grading system for MS1+2. Finally, they are indeed the more competitive school and seem to match a bit better in the specialties that I am favoring towards (although my preferences will likely change over the next four years).

I hope this helps!

I am definitely going to BU this fall. As a matter of fact, my name tag (for Open House) would say Name Coming this Fall. :)

Living near campus/SouthEnd is so expensive, and Harrison Court is :eek: costly. I'll be biking or biking to MainCampus and shuttle. Shuttle runs every 15 min at peak times and 30 minutes otherwise (an MS2 told me). She said it's farily reliable.

Maybe I can find some roommates at the Open House.:idea:

Hey nontypicalazn!

It's nice to meet another future BUSM classmate. I too have heard that the shuttle is reliable and that many students count on it to get to the medical campus every day. I'll most likely bump into you at the Open House!...btw, does SDN have any protocol for this? How will we identify our fellow SDners???

that's just ridiculous...and scary.

but i guess if you had to pay off 300K in loans, being doctor is one of the better professions to do it...

It's going to be okay. Really :)

The bottom line, is that you'll live fine during residency (my wife and I are living on that salary right now), and then you'll just need to keep living like that for about five more years to pay it off. Many people don't do that, because they want to buy a house and a BMW as soon as they become an attending, so it takes them longer to pay it off.

In the end, though, you will pay it off, and your quality of life in the meantime will still be good.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey nontypicalazn!

It's nice to meet another future BUSM classmate. I too have heard that the shuttle is reliable and that many students count on it to get to the medical campus every day. I'll most likely bump into you at the Open House!...btw, does SDN have any protocol for this? How will we identify our fellow SDners???

It's the usual secret handshake... You know, the one that the site walked you through when you registered. Thumb over middle finger, curl the index finger, push out with the ring finger, shake once fast, twice slow. No problem!

NAME Coming This Fall from SDN

though I doubt they can fit that much on a name :D tag

I'm sure during one of the lovely discussions or lunch, someone will mention the word SDN..

It's the usual secret handshake... You know, the one that the site walked you through when you registered. Thumb over middle finger, curl the index finger, push out with the ring finger, shake once fast, twice slow. No problem!

just being able to do that hand shake efficiently should get you into med school...i like that idea.

That sounds painfully similar to some type of patient-examination procedure...although I am not well versed in such things yet. :eek:

Also, thanks for the calming words re: debt...I think it is reassuring for all of us to hear how severe debt can be handled well as long as you think about future purchase decisions!

Hi all, I am definitely coming to BUSM this fall. I am looking forward to meeting all of you at the revisit. Is anyone planning on getting an apartment with fellow BUSM students?

P.S. Does anyone else think that putting up with the Patriots is going to be the hardest part about living in Boston? ;)

Hi all, I am definitely coming to BUSM this fall. I am looking forward to meeting all of you at the revisit. Is anyone planning on getting an apartment with fellow BUSM students?

P.S. Does anyone else think that putting up with the Patriots is going to be the hardest part about living in Boston? ;)

Patriots? just wait till you meet true Red Sox fans...

Speaking of the Red Sox, I almost cried when Bill Buckner threw out the ceremonial first pitch this afternoon.

Speaking of the Red Sox, I almost cried when Bill Buckner threw out the ceremonial first pitch this afternoon.

Were they tears of joy because he was such a good player? Or tears of sadness because his childhood coach didn't drill ground balls enough?

Were they tears of joy because he was such a good player? Or tears of sadness because his childhood coach didn't drill ground balls enough?

Tears of joy!! I was so happy for him. It's about time we forgive him for his costly error in 1986, and recognize him for the great player he really was then.

My PI taught in BU for 7 years. She's a New Yorker, and for 7 years, she was always a Yankees fan... And she managed to stay alive and well XD. Oh, she also did 5 years PhD at Harvard, so, there's still hope for non-Red Sox fans. :p

On a serious note, I would like to find a roommate too, but not South End, since it's really expensive. I'm hoping somewhere along BU main campus, or maybe* even Brighton, if it's not too far from the shuttle.

[Goes off to practice my handshake routine]

Man, I need to find a cheap hotel for 2 nights. :mad:

On a serious note, I would like to find a roommate too, but not South End, since it's really expensive. I'm hoping somewhere along BU main campus, or maybe* even Brighton, if it's not too far from the shuttle.

Same here...mostly. I wouldn't mind South End. I am taking the HPSP so I am not too concerned about money. If I am going to go through g*d knows how many years in the military I want to be able to live relatively hassle free during med school.

I don't mind south end or nearby places either as long as it sounds reasonable. Living near main campus sounds a good idea as that place seems more accessible to alot of other things.
My PI taught in BU for 7 years. She's a New Yorker, and for 7 years, she was always a Yankees fan... And she managed to stay alive and well XD. Oh, she also did 5 years PhD at Harvard, so, there's still hope for non-Red Sox fans. :p

[Goes off to practice my handshake routine]

Man, I need to find a cheap hotel for 2 nights. :mad:

I think that where you decide to live ultimately comes down to what is most important to you. I personally prefer to be within walking distance to BUSM to make transport easier. That being said, the prices are a bit steep and the location itself doesn't give you easy access to the main BU campus' facilities.

I will most likely be living with a couple of people that I know from my hometown (they are going to be at Tufts and BU), so that takes the whole "finding a roommate" issue out of the picture for me. Were I to need to find a roommate, I would be down for compromising with their preference...this just goes to show how the pros/cons balance out the various neighborhoods pretty evenly (at least for me).

One last thing...as a BC student, I have been living off-campus in Brighton for the past 2 years. The environment is extremely peaceful, safe, and collegial. That being said, it is quite a hike to BUSM (15-20 min via car), so IDK if this is ideal for BUSM students.

I'm probably going to live home for the first year (20 min commute) just to save some money on living expenses, but almost positively will be living somewhere in boston after the first year. We'll see how that pans out...

One last thing...as a BC student, I have been living off-campus in Brighton for the past 2 years. The environment is extremely peaceful, safe, and collegial. That being said, it is quite a hike to BUSM (15-20 min via car), so IDK if this is ideal for BUSM students.

As I wrote earlier, I lived in Brighton while I was a GMS student and the commute was a nightmare. Depending on where you live, count on about an hour via the T and the BU Shuttle.
If you don't choose to live in South End, then I would say that within a short walk to one of the shuttle stops (either on the Main Campus or around Westland Ave near Northeastern) is the next best option.

Is biking any viable option in Boston area? I know Boston gets awfully snowy and cold in winter...

As I wrote earlier, I lived in Brighton while I was a GMS student and the commute was a nightmare. Depending on where you live, count on about an hour via the T and the BU Shuttle.
If you don't choose to live in South End, then I would say that within a short walk to one of the shuttle stops (either on the Main Campus or around Westland Ave near Northeastern) is the next best option.

Hey guys,
I haven't wrote in a while... I just signed a lease for an apartment near Bu's main campus. The MS1 and MS2 students I talked to said that the commute wasn't bad at all... Plus My boyfriend and I got an amazing place for 700$ a month each. Is the Bu shuttle not reliable????

Hey guys,
I haven't wrote in a while... I just signed a lease for an apartment near Bu's main campus. The MS1 and MS2 students I talked to said that the commute wasn't bad at all... Plus My boyfriend and I got an amazing place for 700$ a month each. Is the Bu shuttle not reliable????

The BU Shuttle is VERY reliable. However, if you live further from campus in Brighton/Alston/Brookline where you must take the Green Line to and from the shuttle, the commute becomes a nightmare.
This is why I said that living within a short of walk of the shuttle is a great alternative to living in South End, and commuting from further in Brighton is a nightmare.

Is biking any viable option in Boston area? I know Boston gets awfully snowy and cold in winter...

Biking is a great option when the weather is nice. You can get a spot in the bike cage at BUSM through the transit office for like $20/year and is a safer, less crowded place to lock you bike.

hey abik86--
which building did you get an apt in?? i've been looking around online and asking friends who go to BU undergrad about buildings...i've heard about atrium and dexter park? also, when you were looking did it seem like there werent a lot of apts available? i'm getting nervous bc i can't come visit until middle of may and i feel like the buildings by the undergrads might fill up fast...
thanks!

Hello all,

Congratulations on your acceptance into BUSM! I am a member of the class of 2011 and if you guys have ANY questions (housing, curriculum, etc.) please feel free to shoot me a PM.

I'd also like to mention that your class's Facebook group has already been created and that you should join! Feel free to join the BUSM Class of 2011 group also and ask us questions if you wish - we will be more than happy to help.

Second look weekend is coming up soon but unfortunately it is the weekend right before the exams for current 1st-years. Regardless, we will most likely be going out with you guys for one of the weekend nights to get away from studying anyway. ;) See you there!

WOw the hotels are expensive at Boston...

btw, how long is the Open House till?

Hey guys,

May I ask when your lease starts? August 1? September 1? I know our first day of classes is in mid-August, but I am having a tough time finding an apartment available for Aug 1!!!

hey abik86--
which building did you get an apt in?? i've been looking around online and asking friends who go to BU undergrad about buildings...i've heard about atrium and dexter park? also, when you were looking did it seem like there werent a lot of apts available? i'm getting nervous bc i can't come visit until middle of may and i feel like the buildings by the undergrads might fill up fast...
thanks!

To be honest I don't my apartment complex has a name....it is on 90 Gardner st. Right next to BU main campus... I found it through Comm. Ave Associates. They have a lot of great places near BU main campus just google them. But hurry there are not a lot of August first places, it was very hard to find this one.

May I ask when your lease starts? August 1? September 1? I know our first day of classes is in mid-August, but I am having a tough time finding an apartment available for Aug 1!!!

My lease starts August 1st... it was very hard to find, but you can find one if you try. Check with Comm. Ave Associates their office building is steps away from BU main campus.

Also ask for neighborhoods such as: Fenway, Brighton, Brookline, Allston (be careful, this can be far...check for commuting time). Those are usually well priced and the apartment is not the size of a shoe box.:)

Just for the reference of people considering living further out...

I'm living by Kendall Square in Cambridge, and I'll be driving down Mass. Ave across the river and down through the city to park in the car park across the road from the school. I haven't timed it at rush hour, but after 9 it takes about 15 minutes door-to-door. Probably 30 minutes or so between 8 and 9, if worst comes to the worst.

I'm just going to go down there an hour early, avoid rush hour and pre-read/do work with my laptop - it's a good way to start the day.

A note to the wise, though... Don't try to drive down I93 at rush hour and drop off at the BUSM campus. You'll be stuck in the tunnels for ages.

I guess I'll need to find a roomate/roomates.. May be I will find a few at open house via the usual handshake thing..

Just for the reference of people considering living further out...

I'm living by Kendall Square in Cambridge, and I'll be driving down Mass. Ave across the river and down through the city to park in the car park across the road from the school. I haven't timed it at rush hour, but after 9 it takes about 15 minutes door-to-door. Probably 30 minutes or so between 8 and 9, if worst comes to the worst.

I'm just going to go down there an hour early, avoid rush hour and pre-read/do work with my laptop - it's a good way to start the day.

A note to the wise, though... Don't try to drive down I93 at rush hour and drop off at the BUSM campus. You'll be stuck in the tunnels for ages.

Or if you do have to drive down I93 early in the morning, like I'll have to, you better get the FastLane pass.

As everyone begins to find housing, let me know if you choose to live at Archstone Boston Common. I am living there with my girlfriend and a close friend from home who is doing a Ph.D. at BUSM...that being said, it would be great if I knew a few other BUSM medical students who lived in the same building as me. I was told that current BUSM students are, indeed, living there...but it would be great if there were some people from the class of 2012 as well.

Either way, I look forward to seeing you all in May!

How far is Archstone from BU undergrad campus? Is it expensive? I wouldn't mind living in the same building as some classmates.

How far is Archstone from BU undergrad campus? Is it expensive? I wouldn't mind living in the same building as some classmates.

I looked up the prices for archstone just for fun of it... If I saw the right website i think they were starting around 2000... for a studio I may be wrong though... That is a lot of money (for me anyway)

:oops:

Archstone is about a 1.3 mile walk to the BUSM campus, but there is a T stop right out in front with a ride time of ~15 minutes. I figure I'll just walk unless the weather is bad.

Wow.... The sharing does help, but that is a seriously expensive place.

On the upside: it is right by Chinatown, so you can go and get cheap noodles, porridge and all the other good stuff at 2am :)

Still, that said... $2000+ for a studio? Without parking? Are you all coming from NY or something, to think that is a good deal? :eek:

I am from NY and we don't pay 2000 for a studio......

that is seriously expensive... yikes.

Actually with electric, cable, etc the rent will probably come to close to 1000. I'd rather pay that to live near South End, even if I have to pay a bit extra.

I am from NY and we don't pay 2000 for a studio......

that is seriously expensive... yikes.

Actually with electric, cable, etc the rent will probably come to close to 1000. I'd rather pay that to live near South End, even if I have to pay a bit extra.
Once again, I agree that the studios are expensive. However, 800 per month (3 people in a three bedroom) is not bad at all for a comfortable, urban Boston apartment complex. The studios are expensive, so I am going to try and do the 2 or 3-bedroom and split it up to make it more realistic.

I have lived in Brighton (next to BC) for two years now and have payed a similar amount for my room.