BU Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
does anyone know when we should be applying for other loans? (i.e. if stafford loans don't cover BU's cost of attendance and we need a grad plus loan, etc when do we apply for that?) i'm a little fuzzy with the financial aid details...:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

does anyone know when we should be applying for other loans? (i.e. if stafford loans don't cover BU's cost of attendance and we need a grad plus loan, etc when do we apply for that?) i'm a little fuzzy with the financial aid details...:confused:

I don't know but I think I am going to start looking at the application for GradPLUS loans next week and maybe make a trip to see them (I live in Boston now). If I find anything out I will post.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just wondering if people were still in the market for a room - I just got one of the 1BR apartments at Harrison Court (right across the street from campus) and while it would be small, I am looking for a roommate. One of us would be in the bedroom and the other in the "living room" - this doesn't bother me as I've lived in closets in NYC for the past 4 years. The upside of this smaller space is that the rent would only be 900/month per person and that includes internet, hot water, and gas. Also, you can't really beat the fact that you'll be right across the street from class and won't have to worry about a car or spending a lot of money on the T. The floor plan is here:

http://www.bumc.bu.edu/Dept/Content.aspx?DepartmentID=173&PageID=7369

and the room that I have is on the second floor with a balcony. If anyone is interested, just e-mail me at [email protected] in the next few days and we'll talk. Thanks!

Hi there,

I'm just finishing up a master's at BU Med and found an apartment on Washington between Newton and Mass. Ave (on the nicer, trendier side of Mass Ave.) right next to the Med campus. It's 5 min. from the very trendy Tremont St., 10 min. from the Prudential center and downtown Boston. Very accessible to the T station and buslines, as well as the BU shuttle. The apartment is beautiful, a 2 bedroom with very large living room, very large bedrooms, lots of sunlight, and a newly renovated and spacious kitchen. It's in a well-kept apartment complex (Deacon Court, many of the BU students live here) and there is an open courtyard with grills for the residents as well as laundry on the 1st floor. I'd prefer to live with a female who is clean and easy going. Oh, and the place is available for moving in beginning Sept. 1st and is a year-long lease. Rent is 1125 per person, not counting utilities, plus one month's rent for the realtor's fee. Ping me if you're interested!

Hey all. Is anyone moving from California to Boston this fall? LET'S SPLIT A MOVING VEHICLE. It would be lots cheaper and we could bring more stuff that way! I'll be and MS I this fall and want to have my stuff in Boston around August 1. Private message me if anyone's interested.

Hey guys, Im a graduating GMSer and thought I would let you know that I have a studio that's up for rent. It's two blocks from school (W.Concord b/t shawmut and tremont) for 1050. It's got three huge windows and 13'ceiling. Here's a link to the local reality website:

http://www.atlanticpropertiesonline.com/rentals.htm

They might have something cheaper there. I think its half fee though. South End is the nicest neighborhood. Awesome spot right on the corner - Orinoco -with the best latin food in the city!

What is the dress code for orientation ( just the first day Aug 11th) Since the White coat ceremony is the same day I did not know if we are supposed to be dressed up for the whole day or change for the ceremony or something?? Sounds silly but I did not want to show up in a dress if everyone else is in jeans...

What is the dress code for orientation ( just the first day Aug 11th) Since the White coat ceremony is the same day I did not know if we are supposed to be dressed up for the whole day or change for the ceremony or something?? Sounds silly but I did not want to show up in a dress if everyone else is in jeans...

Yeah, i was wondering the same thing...I would think that we should dress up nice for the whole Aug 11, and not worry about having to change for the ceremony.

yeah that's probably true (re:hungover:ressing up on the 11th)

so i am planning on getting a new laptop, but are all new PCs pretty much coming with Vista now? i would really rather not have vista, i have heard nothing but bad things about it. all the people i know who have macs really love them, but i'm not that familiar with macs, so it makes me kind of nervous. also do we know if BUSM is fairly apple-friendly?
i'm really just not sure what to do =/
input, anyone?:confused:

yeah that's probably true (re:hungover:ressing up on the 11th)

so i am planning on getting a new laptop, but are all new PCs pretty much coming with Vista now? i would really rather not have vista, i have heard nothing but bad things about it. all the people i know who have macs really love them, but i'm not that familiar with macs, so it makes me kind of nervous. also do we know if BUSM is fairly apple-friendly?
i'm really just not sure what to do =/
input, anyone?:confused:

I just got a new Macbook, they are great!!!! For the most part now Macs are very compatible with PCs and PC apps. Most of the offices at BU (like the secretaries and admin) have Macs... My family has Dells with Vista... they are horrible, very glitchy and slow.

If you don't mind spending a little extra money Macs are great and you can get VM ware for Macs which allows you to run Windows as well as the Mac OS simultaneously.

I have had my Mac for a few months now and iWork '08 ( same as Microsoft office) no problems so far... if you are worried though you can get Microsoft office for Mac and you will not have any compatibility issues at all.

Hey everyone,

I know that says on our schedule that we have a "welcome" at 8:15am on the 11th, but does anyone know where we should be reporting to?

Also, we are free to go following the WCC, correct?

Thanks in advance and I am really excited to meet everybody on our first day.

-N

yeah the schedule is really unclear. we should probably just show up at the med school instructional building and they'll have signs and what not.

Members don't see this ad :)
so does anyone know about the details on dress code for our first day?? :)

Taking a look at the photos from previous ceremonies, the dress code is fairly smart, but not too much so. Guys wore shirts, 50% with ties, 50% without (maybe a few t-shirts in there). No jackets.

Essentially, respectable, but you don't need to dress for an interview :)

Does anyone know if there's a parking place on campus for parents/families (I think they had that for the 2nd look in May). Or do they have to find street parking??

Does anyone know if there's a parking place on campus for parents/families (I think they had that for the 2nd look in May). Or do they have to find street parking??

Albany street garage is probably where they should try to park first but it m ight be difficult in the middle of the day. I haven't heard anything official though.

hmm yes i'm still undecided about whether to dress up for the whole day or bring clothes to change into after lunch for the 1:30 white coat ceremony. what are you guys doing?

hmm yes i'm still undecided about whether to dress up for the whole day or bring clothes to change into after lunch for the 1:30 white coat ceremony. what are you guys doing?

I think I'm just going to show up in shirt and tie for th whole day than making it difficult by changing in the middle of the day. No hassle with leaving our clothes somewhere and all that stuff.

Shirt and respectable trousers for the rest of the day, and then just going to grab my tie for the ceremony, before whipping it off again afterwards :) It is the middle of August, after all.

ANyone's parents coming from out of town? I have to find a nice detailed instruction for my parents, who don't really speak English. :eek: Hope they won't get lost or anything LOL...

Yeah, will probably wear a dress for the whole day, but change into nice (but less comfortable) shoes for the ceremony.

My parents are coming from out of town - Student Affairs said they will have $5 parking vouchers at the ceremony for parking.

y parents are coming from out of town - Student Affairs said they will have $5 parking vouchers at the ceremony for parking.

So they just have to park in one of those garages on Albany? Thanks

Okay just called Student Affairs again and they said parents should park in the garage at 710 Albany Street.

Regarding attired for the White Coat Ceremony, almost all of the girls wore dresses or skirts and the guys wore slacks and dress shirts (tie optional, but I believe most did wear it). It's a pretty formal and significant event and pictures that you will definitely look back on for many years, plus it's your first impression on your classmates, professors, etc. It was blazing hot for the Class of 2011, so try to keep that in mind when you pick out what you want to wear. Parents should get there are early as possible. I think mine around 1.5-1 hour ahead of time to get seats right behind the med students. Our year, family wasn't allowed to come up to the stage to take photos, you just had shoot it from wherever you were sitting.

Taking a look at the photos from previous ceremonies, the dress code is fairly smart, but not too much so. Guys wore shirts, 50% with ties, 50% without (maybe a few t-shirts in there). No jackets.

Essentially, respectable, but you don't need to dress for an interview :)