BU Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eagle34

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone accepted planning on coming here next year??

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone accepted planning on coming here next year??

I have some tough decisions to make and I am still waiting to hear from a couple of schools but it is possible.

There's a 50+% chance that I will end up at BU. I love Boston.

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome! I'm pretty sure that I'm going to BU as well. Where is everyone from and are you guys planning on coming to the open house on May 3?

How are you guys planning to pay for the tuition? (aside from the obvious loans) I would love to live in Boston but the housing and tuition are really swaying my decision. :confused: I will be paying off my loans until I am 40 if I go into primary care...

How are you guys planning to pay for the tuition? (aside from the obvious loans) I would love to live in Boston but the housing and tuition are really swaying my decision. :confused: I will be paying off my loans until I am 40 if I go into primary care...

I don't know if there is other way to pay for stuff other than loans...I'm going to try to find a bunch of scholarships during the summer and see if I can get at least a little money for BU...I don't know...for me, I love the school, I love Boston (I'm from around here and finishing my undergrad in a Boston school) and I just want to stay here...and after Harvard, this is the best med school in MA.

and after Harvard, this is the best med school in MA.

That's quite debatable. I also thought that when I started applying and I was just looking at the research rankings, but after visiting all of the MA schools and talking to more people who actually are in medicine or go to the MA schools I really am not sure that this is true...that being said, BU is a great school. I am not saying UMass or Tufts is necessarily better than BU, but BU definitely isn't just the 'second best school in MA.'

hey guys, looking forward to the accepted students weekend! i loved boston, but i, too, am terrified at the cost. i want to do the 5 year md/mph, so add another 40k+ on to that chunk of debt. but if i don't hear good news back from a certain other school, i may see some of y'all next year.

That's quite debatable. I also thought that when I started applying and I was just looking at the research rankings, but after visiting all of the MA schools and talking to more people who actually are in medicine or go to the MA schools I really am not sure that this is true...that being said, BU is a great school. I am not saying UMass or Tufts is necessarily better than BU, but BU definitely isn't just the 'second best school in MA.'

I don't know about Umass because I'm interviewing there in March, but I go to Tufts undegrad and the whole time I've been here I've done research at Tufts med school and interviewed there as well...so I've met a lot of Tufts med students...some love it...some don't...every school has its positives and negatives and after a lot of exposure to tufts med school, i'm pretty sure that i will not be going there. Of course, everyone has their own personal criteria for what they look for in medical school. For example, Umass is a lot cheaper than Tufts or BU and being a MA resident, I should want to go to Umass, but I don't think I want to go there. On the other hand, Tufts is also more expensive than BU. So again it all depends on what you're looking for. Both Tufts and BU have early medical exposure, and pretty similar curriculum. From being around tufts med school, I can say that the professors there are great and very knowledgeable. Tufts-NEMC is an awesome hospital as is most of the other affiliated Tufts hospitals.

When should we expect to receive financial aid packages from BU? Hopefully before 5/15?

I am definitely going to BU !!!!:) I am planning on attending the open house on May 3rd... anyone else?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am definitely going to BU !!!!:) I am planning on attending the open house on May 3rd... anyone else?

I'm also going! Where are you from?

I was a GMS (Graduate Medical Sciences) student and have really enjoyed BUSM. Definitely going!!! :D

I'm also going! Where are you from?

I am a senior at University of Rhode Island...My best friend is from Tufts ( i saw from your previous reply that you go there too!) Was this one of your top choices?

I am going to BU. :D
I made arrangements to see a realestate agent this coming weekend. I have a pretty good idea of what part of Boston I want to live in. Has anyone figured out housing?

Does anyone know when BU is sending out there acceptance letters?

Does anyone know when BU is sending out there acceptance letters?

I think people start getting calls around March 28-30th, and acceptance letters should go out end of march.

I am about 95% likely to go to BU in the fall, I've got an MD/PhD acceptance (my one and only in the USA), but I am still waiting from my home country schools (University of Toronto and University of Ottawa, Canada).

Hey everyone,

This is my first post on SDN. :eek: I only started lurking a couple of months ago and just gained my acceptance to BUSM. Since this school has been my top choice since I finished interview season, I am undoubtedly going to attend!

It's nice to finally be on the boards and I look forward to meeting all of your who decided to come to BUSM. :thumbup:

For those of you who are planning on attending BUSM next year, what did you like/dislike about the school. I just got an acceptance email and I'm trying to decide where to go. Thanks.

For those of you who are planning on attending BUSM next year, what did you like/dislike about the school. I just got an acceptance email and I'm trying to decide where to go. Thanks.

I really like the clinical exposure component as well as the fact that BMC is a level I trauma center and a safety net hospital...you'll see a lot of cool stuff there. I dislike the fact that most of the day, you're in class.

Add me as another one who will be attending BU this fall, if my international loans pan out... If you US residents have to repay the loan till the age of 40, I don't even wanna think about the future for me. (C'mon Lottery!)

Anyway, the cost is scaring the pants off me :eek::eek::eek:... but I'll definitely visit BU 5/3, so hope to see some of you there.

For those who aren't financially well off, where is the most practical place to live?

I received an acceptance letter too (to BU).

Advantages:

- Boston is a great place to live and go to school
- Clinical exposure component
- Awesome hospital
- BU students that I met on interview day seemed to be very satisfied with their decision

Disadvantages:

- $65k+ budget (this is from last year)
- Max Grant: 5% of the budget
- School is rich, but I don't understand why they didn't offer many scholarships!

Yeah, I think the biggest negative about BU is its cost. It'll be really interesting to see what the financial package this year will be like, not that it'll probably be any different from previous years.

Still, going to med school in Boston in a HUGE advantage, I think. I was talking to a couple of med students from BU and they were telling me how they always get lecturers that are leaders in their fields because they can get them to come lecture from Harvard, Tufts, etc.

That 65K price tag freaks me out, too. I'm married, and my wife doesn't make much, so I'll be waiting to see what the financial aid package says before I make a final decision. Right now, just the shear cost of living in Boston is making me lean towards my other option (also 65K pricetag, but much cheaper city), but who knows? Maybe BU will come through once I file the finaid forms? One can always dream, right?

It gets a lot cheaper to live if you're not actually in the city but in the suburbs.

Hey guys! I'm in a similar position to boombarash.. Waiting on a Canadian school which would be so much cheaper than any American school, but their decisions come out very late. If I don't get in, there's a high chance I'll be at BU. I love the school's passion for helping those in need, and the northeast is the place to be for my research interests. I also loved Boston and felt it was the closest to being a Canadian city of all the areas I interviewed - people are nicer and willing to talk to you, and it's not so seedy and grimy.

Negatives - co$$$$t (especially being Canadian and thus eligible for NO US aid or loans), distance from my west coast family (I'll get over that), and also, isn't 2nd year still H/P/F? At my interview I heard mixed mumblings that by the time we're in 2nd year both 1st and 2nd year might be P/F, but might not. I think I'd prefer a less competitive atmosphere, does anyone know what has been decided on regarding that?

Also I keep hearing rumours about people hating the BU clinical experience; things like "pimping" and other forms of condescension. If this was just coming from students, I wouldn't care so much.. but actual physicians share this concern, so I take it a bit more seriously. I haven't spoken with anyone who feels this way, but it is definitely the school that I consistently hear this about more than other schools. On the flip side of that, several people absolutely love BU, so maybe it is just a very polarizing school, and if so, I wonder why.

Regardless, I'll 99% be there on 5/3 to help make my decision. I have some serious financial things to work out, and I want to look at housing. I don't know anything about Boston's housing except that I'll likely be living in "southie"? For 1600 a month :)?

I have a question for those who are US residents. Since you get financial aid and loans from the US gov, why are people still really stressed out about the tuition?

And for the Bostonians, what's the most economic place to live in Boston, that is still accessible to transportation (school bus and the metro system)?

30% of the students will receive need-based scholarships/grants. So, if you and your family aren't well off (like myself), it is important to see what they give. Also, BU gives out a school loan. If the amount of that loan is too low, you will be forced to take a private loan, which has a much higher interest rate. The US govt will only give us loans, no grants, for finaid.

The bad thing about BU in terms of transportation is that it doesn't have a T stop by its still accessible by bus. The cheapest places to live is not in Boston itself but around in the suburbs, maybe around Medford/Somerville, where it's around 600-700/month.

The bad thing about BU in terms of transportation is that it doesn't have a T stop by its still accessible by bus. The cheapest places to live is not in Boston itself but around in the suburbs, maybe around Medford/Somerville, where it's around 600-700/month.

I would NOT live in the suburbs. Sure the cost is lower, but the commute will be terrible. If you drive parking will be super expensive, and the T is unreliable. I am living in South End, and love it because of the short walk to school. Living in Kenmore or near the Charles River (main) Campus is okay since there is a free shuttle that runs very frequently Monday-Friday.
I was a GMS student and will be attending next year. Feel free to PM me on living in Boston.

I would NOT live in the suburbs. Sure the cost is lower, but the commute will be terrible. If you drive parking will be super expensive, and the T is unreliable. I am living in South End, and love it because of the short walk to school. Living in Kenmore or near the Charles River (main) Campus is okay since there is a free shuttle that runs very frequently Monday-Friday.
I was a GMS student and will be attending next year. Feel free to PM me on living in Boston.

Do you know how much parking is on campus?

Do you know how much parking is on campus?
I don't for sure...but at least $5-$10/day. A garage spot in my building goes for $250/month.

deleted

Last edited:
thanks! I have a car so I think I may live somewhere in the burbs and try commuting by car...still, it would prob be less expensive to live in the suburbs and get a parking pass then living in boston

thanks! I have a car so I think I may live somewhere in the burbs and try commuting by car...still, it would prob be less expensive to live in the suburbs and get a parking pass then living in boston

Well, good luck with that! I promise you will be cursing the commute after the first week.

To GoLance:

regarding living near Charles River, I've heard some students recommending since it's cheaper and there is a shuttle bus. How is the price/environment there? Honestly I'd see myself in school most of the time, home is just a shower and bed to sleep in. Any suggestions on that?

Now to anyone who knows this: is there a particular way to write the Written notification on the intention of coming here? I know it's no PS, but is there a general way of writing it? lol. And when exactly should we mail the tuition deposit if we are *definitely going there? (I know deadline is 5/13 or something, but can we just mail it to the Admin Office any time we want?).

Oh, is anyone gonna write a little note or something to their interviewer? I heard it's a polite and right thing to do.

Thanks

Now to anyone who knows this: is there a particular way to write the Written notification on the intention of coming here? I know it's no PS, but is there a general way of writing it? lol. And when exactly should we mail the tuition deposit if we are *definitely going there? (I know deadline is 5/13 or something, but can we just mail it to the Admin Office any time we want?).

Thanks

I wasn't sure how to write that note either so I went to the admissions office to ask and they give me a piece of paper and said "Write that you're accepting our offer." So, I wrote one sentence that went something like "Thank you for offering me a seat in the Class of 2012, I accept it."

That's it. It's only read by secretaries so don't spend too much time thinking about it.

Well, good luck with that! I promise you will be cursing the commute after the first week.

I've driven from Somerville to BU a couple of times, and usually it takes around 20 minutes. Do you think it'll really get that bad?

Thanks Eagle. I thought something along the line of that would do. XD. And now I'll be posting on craiglist to sell my body parts for tuition. :rolleyes:

Hey everyone, i'm not totally sure where i'll be next year, still have a big decision to make, but i found out on thursday that i got into BU and there's a good chance that this will be the school for me, so i thought i'd say hello and introduce myself. I wish i could get a good read on whether the students really like or dislike what seems like a great clinical program.

To GoLance:

regarding living near Charles River, I've heard some students recommending since it's cheaper and there is a shuttle bus. How is the price/environment there? Honestly I'd see myself in school most of the time, home is just a shower and bed to sleep in. Any suggestions on that?

Thanks

Living near the Charles river campus is great, I had some friends who did it last year. Just make sure you live within a short walk to one of the shuttle stops. It would be my second choice to living within walking distance of the school.

I've driven from Somerville to BU a couple of times, and usually it takes around 20 minutes. Do you think it'll really get that bad?

Honestly, I really do. Many of our classes start at 8am and we get done with IP and ICM, labs, discussions, etc around 4-5pm some days. I think that amount of time that you spend at school and the fact that many people will meet for study groups at school will make you wish that your commute wasn't so long. Plus coming into the city at rush hour and paying for parking seems like a huge headache to me.
My first year as a GMS student, I lived in Brighton because it was way cheaper, and I thought even the commute with the Green Line and the bus wouldn't be bad. It was like an hour each direction (because of the inconsistency of Boston Public Transit)! I hated it, and now I literally live within a 5 minute walk to school.
For me the best decision was to pay a little more rent and live very close to school and therefore have more time at home, eat at home, not spend the money to commute or park, have easy access to the school anytime, blah blah blah.

Hi everyone! I'll definitely be coming here next year and i'm so psyched. Just some info- I've been in boston for the last four years and I have to say the shuttle bus is super reliable so living near the main campus would be pretty cheap and not such a hassle. plus its near the fitrec which is free for us. and if you can help it do not buy a car. boston is the worst worst place to drive and itll cost so much to park. looking forward ot next year!

Hi everyone! I'll definitely be coming here next year and i'm so psyched. Just some info- I've been in boston for the last four years and I have to say the shuttle bus is super reliable so living near the main campus would be pretty cheap and not such a hassle. plus its near the fitrec which is free for us. and if you can help it do not buy a car. boston is the worst worst place to drive and itll cost so much to park. looking forward ot next year!

Jem86, I'm trying to decide between Northwestern and BU. What made you choose BU?

And thanks to everyone who has posted their opinions about BU!

Jem86, I'm trying to decide between Northwestern and BU. What made you choose BU?

And thanks to everyone who has posted their opinions about BU!

Well I chose based purely on location. As much as I loved Northwestern, I've been in Boston as an undergrad for 4 years and I know a lot of people at the med school and in Boston. They had comparable match lists and their curricula are really similar so I chose to stay close to home. It was hard though, Northwestern is fantastic.