BU Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well I chose based purely on location. As much as I loved Northwestern, I've been in Boston as an undergrad for 4 years and I know a lot of people at the med school and in Boston. They had comparable match lists and their curricula are really similar so I chose to stay close to home. It was hard though, Northwestern is fantastic.

Jem86, what undergrad did u go to, if u dont mind me asking? I'm graduating tufts this year.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know when exactly Orientation (along with IP, ICM, Public Health) start this August? Somehow I have the number 8/11 floating in my head (last year it was 8/13 which was a Monday, and 8/11 is a Monday this year). I might have an internship/research that runs from June to 8/9 in Cali, so I don't know if doing that would be a good idea, considering I'll probably have to fly back to NYC on the 10th, and start right next day. I already emailed the Office, but my app is due tomorrow, and I don't know if they'll get back to me then. Hope someone here knows.

Does anyone know when exactly Orientation (along with IP, ICM, Public Health) start this August? Somehow I have the number 8/11 floating in my head (last year it was 8/13 which was a Monday, and 8/11 is a Monday this year). I might have an internship/research that runs from June to 8/9 in Cali, so I don't know if doing that would be a good idea, considering I'll probably have to fly back to NYC on the 10th, and start right next day. I already emailed the Office, but my app is due tomorrow, and I don't know if they'll get back to me then. Hope someone here knows.

From the interview orientation, I do believe it's August 11. Whoooo!!

Members don't see this ad :)
hey everyone- just got my acceptance here last week and I'll definitely be attending. Just want to say hi and looking forward to meeting all of you who end up coming here in the fall!

btw, on a related note, I've been living in Boston for a couple years and I recommend living near the main campus...nice breather away from school and the shuttle bus between the two campuses makes it a convenient alternative. Anyhow hopefully i'll catch some of you at the 2nd look :)

Yep, I thought so, 11th... tight schedule man... But I'll be seeing you guys at 5/3. Just look for a nontypical asian. haahaa.

Yep, I thought so, 11th... tight schedule man... But I'll be seeing you guys at 5/3. Just look for a nontypical asian. haahaa.

There'll probably be more than one of those at BU haha

I'm totally making a list of nontypical asians at BU open house then. :D

Btw, I just mailed/well, tomorrow morning, my technical standard and written notice. Call me paranoid but I'm afraid it might get lost in the snail mail. :scared:

Maybe it's just me. How's the weather in Boston around May?

Btw, I just mailed/well, tomorrow morning, my technical standard and written notice. Call me paranoid but I'm afraid it might get lost in the snail mail. :scared:

May is actually one of the months when it's pretty awesome to be in Boston. It's usually pretty warm and sunny, not much run, and actually not humid, unlike in the summer.

this may be a dumb question, do any of you guys know if they reimburse you at all for your trip to open house? i'm pretty sure they don't but still thought i'd ask.. haha

this may be a dumb question, do any of you guys know if they reimburse you at all for your trip to open house? i'm pretty sure they don't but still thought i'd ask.. haha

very few schools do, and bu is not one of them...i think.

i have a question about financial aid. BU listed 20k for COA (cost of attendance, including room/board, incidentals, transportations) per year, which is a LOT (my family and I dont even spend nearly 20k for a year in NYC). Do the students MUST follow the said amount on paper? I mean, is it possible to just file for Tuition+fees which is rougly 50k? that chunk of 20k makes me very testy.

I don't believe they do, but you can call the admissions office and find out for sure.

i have a question about financial aid. BU listed 20k for COA (cost of attendance, including room/board, incidentals, transportations) per year, which is a LOT (my family and I dont even spend nearly 20k for a year in NYC). Do the students MUST follow the said amount on paper? I mean, is it possible to just file for Tuition+fees which is rougly 50k? that chunk of 20k makes me very testy.

No, you take out as much as you want as long as it's not tuition fees, I believe. BU has a set price for tuition and then estimated prices for everything else. So if you know you're gonna be spending only 10K a year for COA, you can take tout that much and not more. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would also really love to know this answer, as if I were to live with family friends or what not, that 20k might drop to 2k for the semester.. which makes signing a loan heck of an easier time.

What I have heard is that the prudent thing to do is to make a budget and then overestimate the loan amount you will need. The worst thing that would happen is that the extra money sits in a money market account and you end up taking less out in loans for your second year.

The other option, where you are trying to save money on loans and underestimate, is a very sad alternative and not advisable.

Given that I am int'l, the banks will probably be a little bit stingier than usual... so I'm hoping to loan as little as allowed...:scared:

what is the name of the area in which BU main campus is located? cambridge?? but cambridge is very big no?

what is the name of the area in which BU main campus is located? cambridge?? but cambridge is very big no?

It's downtown Boston (near the Charles River) next to the Fenway Park

Other areas that Main Campus extends is Kenmore, Allston,

does anyone know if the Admin Office will send you a message or note after you snail mailed your Written notification and technical standard? Maybe it's just me but snail mail kind of scares me...

does anyone know if the Admin Office will send you a message or note after you snail mailed your Written notification and technical standard? Maybe it's just me but snail mail kind of scares me...

Don't worry. The Admissions Office will send you a "mutual acceptance" email once they receive your letter & tech standard.

your bu admissions webpage will have a note showing that you have accepted the offer of admissions.

do you guys know when the health forms will be mailed to us?

That 65K price tag freaks me out, too. I'm married, and my wife doesn't make much, so I'll be waiting to see what the financial aid package says before I make a final decision. Right now, just the shear cost of living in Boston is making me lean towards my other option (also 65K pricetag, but much cheaper city), but who knows? Maybe BU will come through once I file the finaid forms? One can always dream, right?

Yeah I am very concerned about the price and some other things with BU. I really want to go here, but am starting to look to my other schools. 4.5% tuition increase thats $67K total, the rank dropped to 43 for research, and they didn't even rank for primary care but claim to be very focused on that. Also everyone I met there didn't seem to be very friendly and kind of gave me a sense that they did not feel very supported by the faculty and administration. I guess that is the Boston stereotype though. See you all in May who go, but I personally don't know if BU is worth it.

Did anyone else think it was funny that we were asked to pay $25 to fill out the collegeboard profile? Sure, $25 is a drop in the bucket compared to what we'll end up paying, but still.......c'mon.

Did anyone else think it was funny that we were asked to pay $25 to fill out the collegeboard profile? Sure, $25 is a drop in the bucket compared to what we'll end up paying, but still.......c'mon.

That is pretty funny...oh man, I just wanna know my financial aid already, just give it to me BU so I can get used to the feeling of how much money I owe.

I already owe about 50k in student loan (went to private undergrad + masters). 4 yrs of BU would probably cost me 250k, so I may be looking at 300k total. Talk about starting financial life in a big hole.

I already owe about 50k in student loan (went to private undergrad + masters). 4 yrs of BU would probably cost me 250k, so I may be looking at 300k total. Talk about starting financial life in a big hole.

tell me about it.

Ugh. I know. I have about $45K of debt coming in and it has really been freaking me out lately. BU's financial aid application just drove the sorry state of my finances home for me.

I just got an email confirmation from BU saying that they received my financial aid application. Hopefully there is nothing wrong with it and they can tell me my package before the end of the month.

so how early do you guys think we can expect to know our financial aid?

haha well if it makes you feel any better, i owe a little over 90k from undergrad, 5k from postbac, 35k to my parents for undergrad (they loaned me the rest, but i have to pay them back with interest once i start residency), and 250k from BU. Sooooo 345k in formal loans, 380k total. I've already had an anxiety attack today so i feel like i'm bringing another one on just talking about this.

so how early do you guys think we can expect to know our financial aid?

I spoke with a woman in financial aid today and she said it would be early May. I also talked to her about the price for more details and after some hassle, she told me that yes it is very expensive but they will do what they can to help us. However, she said that starting this fall they will be the most expensive medical school in the nation! She told me that the medical campus tuition is increasing more than the 4.5% that the undergrad campus is increasing. So I am guessing that means we can up that $65K figure they gave us on paper for 07-08 to $70K-$75K per year this fall :wow:....

graduating with $300K debt from just med school almost makes me cry :(
definitely having second thoughts.....

The financial aid office told me that we should hear back a couple of weeks after they receive our applications (I got the email saying they received mine today). I believe the beginning of May date is the latest they plan to let us know and it is indicated in our acceptance letter. Typical BU. They don't like to commit to anything so they are always hedging.

I spoke with a woman in financial aid today and she said it would be early May. I also talked to her about the price for more details and after some hassle, she told me that yes it is very expensive but they will do what they can to help us. However, she said that starting this fall they will be the most expensive medical school in the nation! She told me that the medical campus tuition is increasing more than the 4.5% that the undergrad campus is increasing. So I am guessing that means we can up that $65K figure they gave us on paper for 07-08 to $70K-$75K per year this fall :wow:....

graduating with $300K debt from just med school almost makes me cry :(
definitely having second thoughts.....

that's just ridiculous...and scary.

but i guess if you had to pay off 300K in loans, being doctor is one of the better professions to do it...

For those who mailed their Consent Notice and Technical Sheet this week, any messages from BU? I mailed mine on Tuesday and so far no messages about whether they received it or not. Seeing the deadline is next Tuesday, I'm a lil freaked out. (I really dislike postal mails...).

I mailed mine in on Monday from Philadelphia. I called and they said they had not received it yet and that I'd get an email notification when they did. Unlike other schools, BU's admissions office has not magically become more friendly because I was accepted. What is up with them?

That sucks.. All i got was an email about the Open House... And it's not like we can just stop by the admin office and hand in the letter. XD

If I don't receive any sort of email confirmation from then by the 9th, I plan to send a message to their message center acknowledging and accepting their offer. I think this just might be the best recourse.

Anyone else see these forums?

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=510413

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=371985

... I mean yeah a few people will always have bad experiences, but this sounds like more than common by chance. I am definitely going to ask more questions to students when I revisit.

I have seen these forums and was worried about it as well. So a little while after I was accepted in January, I decided to just walk around the school and see if I can talk to random students, who were mostly MSI and MSII. What I got out of it was that since the first two years are pass/fail now, the cooperation between the students is great, professors really try to help you out the best way they can, and the resources there are pretty awesome. But I'll definitely be asking these questions again during second look. Even though BU went down in the rankings, I still think it's a great school...just look at where people match.

I spoke to a BU alum, who is on her way to cardio fellowship now. She said the MS 3 and 4 was a blast, but MS1 and 2 were a torture. Exactly what kind of torture she didn't specify/get back to me yet, but I think it might simply be due to courseload and memorization, as the alum's former professor told me that she wasn't the best at memorizing large amount of information. But the alum sounded very happy about her 4 years there overall. Hope that helps.

Received my mutual acceptance email today and update on the website. Now I am just sitting tight and waiting to see what the finaid office has to say!

I spoke to a BU alum, who is on her way to cardio fellowship now. She said the MS 3 and 4 was a blast, but MS1 and 2 were a torture. Exactly what kind of torture she didn't specify/get back to me yet, but I think it might simply be due to courseload and memorization, as the alum's former professor told me that she wasn't the best at memorizing large amount of information. But the alum sounded very happy about her 4 years there overall. Hope that helps.

Interesting! I don't think there are many schools where MS1 and 2 are a great time for anyone...learning so much information in such a short period of time is not fun for many people. But its those 3rd and 4th years that make a big difference, at least for me, and knowing that an alum really enjoyed them is a great thing to hear. I'm really looking forward to starting next year.

Another Asian here. Count me in.

Hi all,

As you can see I am quite new here, so please be nice! I am still in shock that I got accepted to BUSM as they were my top choice school (out of the ten I interviewed at). I've sent in my forms, I'll see you all at the open house in May, and I'll be there this fall. It seems as though there is a lot of indecision going around this forum regarding whether or not to attend BUSM...I was wondering: Who is definately matriculating this fall? I was just looking to start meeting my future friends and colleagues, so I figured that I'd ask.

Also, since I'm currently at Boston College, my proximity gave me a chance to stop over in the BUSM area and take a second look. I really do love the school, the mini-campus, and the surrounding area. I was wondering though, for those planning to attend, what do you have in mind for housing?

There is a very upscale apartment complex (Archstone Boston Common) right next to Tufts NEMC and about 1.3 mile walk to BUSM (the T stop is also right outside of the apartments. These apartments are really expensive but they have a program for affordable housing options for low-income families/students like us. I was seriously considering this option but was wondering if anyone feels it might still be too disconnected from the campus to let me foster new friendships and just keep in touch with everyone. Is this a rediculous concern?

Thanks for reading and I look forward to meeting those who come to BUSM next Fall.

Hi all,

As you can see I am quite new here, so please be nice! I am still in shock that I got accepted to BUSM as they were my top choice school (out of the ten I interviewed at). I've sent in my forms, I'll see you all at the open house in May, and I'll be there this fall. It seems as though there is a lot of indecision going around this forum regarding whether or not to attend BUSM...I was wondering: Who is definately matriculating this fall? I was just looking to start meeting my future friends and colleagues, so I figured that I'd ask.

Also, since I'm currently at Boston College, my proximity gave me a chance to stop over in the BUSM area and take a second look. I really do love the school, the mini-campus, and the surrounding area. I was wondering though, for those planning to attend, what do you have in mind for housing?

There is a very upscale apartment complex (Archstone Boston Common) right next to Tufts NEMC and about 1.3 mile walk to BUSM (the T stop is also right outside of the apartments. These apartments are really expensive but they have a program for affordable housing options for low-income families/students like us. I was seriously considering this option but was wondering if anyone feels it might still be too disconnected from the campus to let me foster new friendships and just keep in touch with everyone. Is this a rediculous concern?

Thanks for reading and I look forward to meeting those who come to BUSM next Fall.

I'm graduating Tufts this year and i'm def coming to BU in the fall! whooo boston!