AZCOM Class of 2012 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you guys ever like.... open up google earth and zoom in on the campus and think "Wow that is where I'm going to be in a few months. And over there is where I'm going to live. And this is the path I'm going to take to campus every day...."

Just me? I know it is pathetic.

I've never actually used Google Earth but I do want to try. We'll likely be living in Surprise so we won't have the same route you guys will.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you guys ever like.... open up google earth and zoom in on the campus and think "Wow that is where I'm going to be in a few months. And over there is where I'm going to live. And this is the path I'm going to take to campus every day...."

Just me? I know it is pathetic.

lol, I don't do that because I live in glendale already... BUT I drive past the school everyday and think the same thing!... I have done that with google earth in the past though, so you are not pathetic... or maybe we both are?

Members don't see this ad :)
lol, I don't do that because I live in glendale already... BUT I drive past the school everyday and think the same thing!... I have done that with google earth in the past though, so you are not pathetic... or maybe we both are?

Bingo!! :smuggrin: Just kidding. I finally downloaded it myself today and checked it out. I didn't have much time to look at it but I'm sure I will be a regular pretty soon. I'm so excited about moving out there! Well not the move itself because if I had a choice we would just teleport ourselves and all our stuff. :D

I know. I HATE moving furniture. Especially when I have to do it all by myself. The apartment that they assigned us is A104 though so I'm hoping that means I won't have to carry things up any stairs.

Oh and moving in during the hottest time of the year will also be fun.

I know. I HATE moving furniture. Especially when I have to do it all by myself. The apartment that they assigned us is A104 though so I'm hoping that means I won't have to carry things up any stairs.

Oh and moving in during the hottest time of the year will also be fun.
Great for the cardiovascular system.

And I think 104 is a bottom floor number...dont hold me to that though, I dont live on campus.

I am looking for a 2 bed apartment near campus, but not across the street.. too close for me.

I visited some when I was there for my interview and really liked Sierra Canyon, Camden Towne Center and Strayhorse at Arrowhead. Does anyone know anything about these apartments good or bad? Thanks

PS I'm a big bike rider for any of ya'll who might be interested in something like that.

PS I'm a big bike rider for any of ya'll who might be interested in something like that.

Yeah man! :thumbup: I've looking forward to being able to take out my Coda for more than two or three months out of the year. I think I'm just going to deal with living on campus for the first year. I'll park my car and just cycle back and forth as much as possible.

Hey everyone! My name is Zach and this message marks my first post on SDN. I have used the site many times simply reading the threads, but I finally decided to join after seeing the post for class of 2012. I sent in my deposit last week, which means I'm finally going to medical school - still very surreal to me, though. I am ecstatic to be going to AZCOM, but also anxious to get my life organized, now. Besides financial aid issues, I am working on finding housing since on-campus housing is full. I would like to live close to campus with at least one or two other guys. I have looked at the Glendale-housing blog online and searched Craigs list to no avail. So, I thought I'd try SDN and see if anyone is looking for a roommate/has any suggestions. Thanks and I look forward to meeting everyone!

I am looking for a 2 bed apartment near campus, but not across the street.. too close for me.

I visited some when I was there for my interview and really liked Sierra Canyon, Camden Towne Center and Strayhorse at Arrowhead. Does anyone know anything about these apartments good or bad? Thanks

Congrats on your acceptance!

I live in Sierra Canyon and am very happy with it. It is quiet, the staff is great and if anything breaks they have it taken care of within hours.
It is close enough to come home for lunch everyday, or ride your bike to school. The complex is next to a bike path that runs along a creek bed that you can follow to school.

If you do end up leasing here, let me know before hand. You can use me as a referral and then have them apply whatever referral bonus they offer to your deductible.

Hey guys! I finally made my decision to join yall at AZCOM!! I'm so excited! Do you guys know if the school as a web site to look for potential roommates? And when do we get the info. on shots we need to get etc.? Anyways if anyone is looking for a roommate or know anyone who needs one let me know! I wold love to get a place with 1 or 2 other people. I'm really really really easy going and not to brag but i've been told that I'm a great roommate b/c i love to clean and i'm a lot of fun :D (when not studying)!

Hi! Ur screen name is dancer22 right? Anyways I danced in college and still love to dance!!!! Only sad thing about medschool is no dance team :( but it's nice to see someone with the same hobbies so i just wanted to say hi and i'll see u at AZCOM :)

Hi!!! So i finally decided on AZCOM... just can't get over how pretty and awesome the area was so I'm really excited! Thanks again for being such a sweet heart and taking me back to the hotel. It's good to know there's people like u in my class! See u soon and I look forward to meeting ur husband and adorable son!

Members don't see this ad :)
OOps i just figured out how to post private messages... anyways that last one was for EEL. Any suggestions on how to find roomies other than on facebook?

OOps i just figured out how to post private messages... anyways that last one was for EEL. Any suggestions on how to find roomies other than on facebook?
online.midwestern.edu is the website that tells you what forms/immunizations you need. There is also a housing application on there (although they say it fills quickly) in which you can select preferences for a potential roomie. But thats only if you live on campus. Hope this helps. You can always call Student Services...cya in August

Hey guys! I finally made my decision to join yall at AZCOM!! I'm so excited! Do you guys know if the school as a web site to look for potential roommates? And when do we get the info. on shots we need to get etc.? Anyways if anyone is looking for a roommate or know anyone who needs one let me know! I wold love to get a place with 1 or 2 other people. I'm really really really easy going and not to brag but i've been told that I'm a great roommate b/c i love to clean and i'm a lot of fun :D (when not studying)!
Congrats

Hi everyone!

Hope all is well! I was hoping someone could help me out with finding a good and cheap health insurance company/policy in Arizona? I looked at the one our school is offering and I'm a little disappointed at how much I have to pay for such low coverage (maybe it's cuz i'm spoiled in california)... I tried looking for alternatives through google...but nothing seemed really good..even an HMO makes me pay like 20-50% of fees while I'm in a hospital or have a deducitible...I have Kaiser Permanente right now and it's HMO and Everything's covered... ahhh!!! Someone help please!

http://www.keytoazhomes.com/property.asp?id_property=107343

Hello AZCOM Class of 2012. First, congratulations on being accepted to AZCOM. I have been very satisfied with my education at AZCOM (I am in AZCOM 2008), both the pre-clinical and clinical years. I believe that our school prepares you to become a great physician and to match at excellent residency training sites.

I matched into an Allopathic 3 year Emergency Medicine residency program and must move out of state with my family. We are currently selling our home. The house is a great investment for any student with or without a family. The key feature is that the location is perfect! You will drive to school against traffic during your first two years and are located minutes from three major freeways in Phoenix to get to any rotation during your clinical years in minutes. North Scottsdale, the Biltmore, and Desert Ridge Marketplace are all 10-15 minutes away. The neighborhood is very safe, home is in immaculate condition, easy care front & back yards, and family-friendly neighborhood.

Medical school is very challenging. Every year it gets more enjoyable. Study hard and best wishes to you all!

Hi everyone!

Hope all is well! I was hoping someone could help me out with finding a good and cheap health insurance company/policy in Arizona? I looked at the one our school is offering and I'm a little disappointed at how much I have to pay for such low coverage (maybe it's cuz i'm spoiled in california)... I tried looking for alternatives through google...but nothing seemed really good..even an HMO makes me pay like 20-50% of fees while I'm in a hospital or have a deducitible...I have Kaiser Permanente right now and it's HMO and Everything's covered... ahhh!!! Someone help please!

try esurance.com

make sure to really look at the plans, but you can find a much cheaper one there. and you can wait til you get to school to do it if you want.

congrats to you all. you made the right decision. you will really enjoy the facilities and your education here at AZCOM. Students are getting (for the most part) the residencies they want. AZCOM really has a great reputation. I had solid teachers and great rotations.

I know many of you have questions about housing. I rent a 3/2 house from a faculty member and it is less than a mile from school. I will graduate in June. PM me if you are interested and I can get you in touch with landlord if interested. it is a great house for a family or roommates. rent 1000/month. plus, it is an ideal location close to school, library, freeway. I love living here.
B

ey mates! does anyone know how soon san lagos fills up? i'm on the waiting list for oncampus housing--which i would prefer for convenience/cost--but if that doesn't work out, san lagos sounds like the next best option.

p.s. WHO'S excited? anyone? anyone?:p

I'm excited but right now I'm just really focusing on finishing out these last two weeks of school!! :cool:

ey mates! does anyone know how soon san lagos fills up? i'm on the waiting list for oncampus housing--which i would prefer for convenience/cost--but if that doesn't work out, san lagos sounds like the next best option.

p.s. WHO'S excited? anyone? anyone?:p

The only thing that sucked about being accepted in October is the wait. I have been excited for waaaayyyy too long now and can't take it anymore. We are moving in July and it could not come sooner. :cool::D

Hi, congratulations and welcome incoming class of 2012!!!!!
I am currently a 2nd year medical student and will have two rooms available in my house. The house is within a mile of the school and has a two car garage. The master bedroom with private bath will be available May 16 for $700/mo and the second bedroom with shared bath will be available mid June for $600/mo. Most of my rotations are away, so I won't be around much, but I'll help you out as much as possible. If you have any questions, feel free to ask and contact me at [email protected]. Thanks.

Anyone know the internet/tv situation with the on campus housing?

Is the cable and internet included in the price or is it extra?

I can't find much information at all on the student housing.

Hey fellow first years. Like others im looking for 2 roomies to rent a 3 bedroom house with. The house is a half mile north of campus and sits on a lake (a little one). Rent would be $500-550 plus utilities.

sounds like a lot of people are going to be hanging around glendale in august. fun fun.

Anyone know the internet/tv situation with the on campus housing?

Is the cable and internet included in the price or is it extra?

I can't find much information at all on the student housing.

I dont know about cable...but I know internet is included in da pricing.

The only thing that sucked about being accepted in October is the wait. I have been excited for waaaayyyy too long now and can't take it anymore. We are moving in July and it could not come sooner. :cool::D

I was accepted in October also...I hardly remember it....

I got accepted but have not recieved the offical letter yet, never have I been so anxious to pay.

Does anyone have some advice for housing, I have cats, a 70lb dog (a lovable pitbull) and a soon to be wife? I think apts are out, are there houses for rent close by. And if you rent a house do you have to pay the water bill (I sure water is expensive living in a desert)?

I got accepted but have not recieved the offical letter yet, never have I been so anxious to pay.

Does anyone have some advice for housing, I have cats, a 70lb dog (a lovable pitbull) and a soon to be wife? I think apts are out, are there houses for rent close by. And if you rent a house do you have to pay the water bill (I sure water is expensive living in a desert)?

Congratulations and welcome to our class. Sadly, I'm not much help with advice on places to live. I tried to find an off campus place that I could take my cat and could afford on my own. I failed, found a temporary home for my cat, and will be living on campus for the first year.

Try craigslist, lots of listings for house rentals. Lots of people are having trouble selling right now so they're renting them out instead. On the other hand, it's a great time to buy, so you might consider that instead. Over four years' time, you will make out better financially than by renting, even if you sell the house for the same price you bought it.

There is a large binder in student services that is full of housing options in the area. Many of the places in there are houses owned and rented out by 3rd and 4th years or faculty members.

This thread hasn't seen much action lately so I thought I'd give it a bump. Here are a few things that have been on my mind.

1. The MWU scrubs they have sent to previous incoming classes have usually arrived by this time of the year (according to my own thread searching). I guess they are waiting until the class is full before they do that?

2. I wonder when financial aid awards are going to come through. Not the checks, but the confirmation that you're actually going to be receiving something. I've been waiting on them for a while now.

3. They added a couple of 360* panoramic views to the "Campus Tour" feature on this website. http://www.midwestern.edu/azcom/
It is kind of fun.

4. It has been HOT in Glendale lately. I check the weather there every day (helps me mentally escape from my office here at work). I'm looking forward to the heat. This last winter in Utah has been miserable.

This thread hasn't seen much action lately so I thought I'd give it a bump. Here are a few things that have been on my mind.

1. The MWU scrubs they have sent to previous incoming classes have usually arrived by this time of the year (according to my own thread searching). I guess they are waiting until the class is full before they do that?

2. I wonder when financial aid awards are going to come through. Not the checks, but the confirmation that you're actually going to be receiving something. I've been waiting on them for a while now.

3. They added a couple of 360* panoramic views to the "Campus Tour" feature on this website. http://www.midwestern.edu/azcom/
It is kind of fun.

4. It has been HOT in Glendale lately. I check the weather there every day (helps me mentally escape from my office here at work). I'm looking forward to the heat. This last winter in Utah has been miserable.

I'm so with you on #4. Aside from a blissful weekend of warm weather, Buffalo has been COLD. I'm actually sitting in front of a fireplace working on my thesis.

I'd wager a lot of us are harried by end-of-term madness. Blah :(

I'd wager a lot of us are harried by end-of-term madness. Blah :(

mmmm im with slim, i sit at work all day bored off a** waiting for this whole med school thing to save me from this lab. and i drink a lot after work.

a whole lot last night after the suns got kicked out of the playoffs.

bored with a hangover....at work....jesus

Hey what's up everyone. I'm currently a 3rd year student at AZCOM (almost 4th year, yay!) and was curious to know what the school told you about rotations for your 3rd and 4th years. I heard that the new class is going to be 250 (up from the current 155 or so) so they will obviously have to expand the current rotation sites. Do make sure that when you are setting up your rotations for third year that you request as many as possible in teaching hospitals with residency programs. I really can't stress this enough. If you apply to internship not knowing how to properly write progress notes, complete history and physicals, present patients on rounds, write and/or dictate discharge summary reports, and at least write proper admit orders you will be at a huge disadvantage. This is not meant to be a discouraging post by any means. As incoming students it is best that you come into med school with foresight.

For example, for OB/GYN and surgery there are many "hospital" rotations called department based where you show up at the department and ask to scrub in on cases and request to follow attending during rounds or procedures. Don't let this fool you. I did my surgery rotation department based and thought that is was a weak rotation. Yeah it was fun and during the month I got to scrub in on close to 80 surgeries. Good hours too. But I never had to admit the patient, write preop notes, round in the morning, write post op notes, or discharge the patient. Surgery isn't what I want to go into, but felt that I missed out on valuable medical education during that rotation. Plus, I had to put up with surgeons constantly telling me about how crappy my surgery rotation was. Other students who did OB/GYN rotations set up this way said similar things. Just something to keep in mind for the future.

I wish all of you best of luck during the first year and remember not to get too discouraged and hang in there. The first two years are really rough but you come out well prepared for Step 1 (COMLEX and USMLE). There may be some of you who will feel like you have to study all the time, but don't. Make sure to take off at least one night per weekend from studying and do something fun. Plus the night after each exam is also a good time to do this. Active learning is key as well. What I mean by this is I feel it is vitally important to get with a study partner and quiz over the material that you just studied. Then I recommend finding old exams or doing questions from board review books to help that knowledge stick. Same goes with anatomy lab. You've got to go in after hours and quiz your partners on the structures until you have them down cold. I really wouldn't waste time making your own flash cards or elaborate review sheets when the material is all given to you in the notes. If you do want to create better organized study sheets I think it is best to get in a group and assign everyone a different lecture to summarize. Once this is done the compiled review sheets are sent to the group via e-mail and everyone is covered.

Another word of advice is don't study the summer before your first year and don't study the summer between first and second year. Those are your last bits of free time for quite a while. Anyhow I'll get off my soapbox for the time being. Congrats to all of you on your acceptance and know that you will get a very good eduction at AZCOM, but remember to be proactive as your education is what you make of it. If anyone has further questions feel free to e-mail me at [email protected].

Best wishes,

Matt

Congratulations on getting in. I'll be starting my third year in the DO program. I have huge new house right next to campus and am looking for some responsible, CLEAN roommates. It's $495 + $90 utilities. It covers everything including, cable, high speed wireless internet. It has a pool too. You would share a bathroom with one other person. Best of luck with your move.

Hey everyone,

My wife and I just graduated from BYU and we're heading down to AZ in August. We're super excited. We're planning on buying a house in Surprise or El Mirage. Do any of you guys know much about those areas? Is a very long commute? Anyway, another thing is that my wife is considering doing some child care out of the house. Her degree is in child development and she has tons of experience so if any of you need some help contact me. Thanks,

See you all soon.

Hey BYU 2008,
The owner of the house I'm staying in is a realtor. He specializes in housing around the school. He's been scoping out Surprise and El Mirage. He says there are some incredible deals out there. He's also a BYU alum. Here's his cell # Doug 480 628-2426. Good luck!

Anyone know if they have finalized the class yet or are they still interviewing? I'd be nice for them to finish so they can start sending us stuff for next year...whoot whoot

I heard from a friend that a they were down to like 30 spots ( this was a few weeks ago), however they are still interviewing- another friend of mine has an interview on May 9th, not sure if they go much past that.

Hey everyone,

My wife and I just graduated from BYU and we're heading down to AZ in August. We're super excited. We're planning on buying a house in Surprise or El Mirage. Do any of you guys know much about those areas? Is a very long commute? Anyway, another thing is that my wife is considering doing some child care out of the house. Her degree is in child development and she has tons of experience so if any of you need some help contact me. Thanks,

See you all soon.

Hey my wife and I both graduated from BYU too! I graduated last year though. It will be cool to have another BYU guy there. You like football? Our team should be awesome this year.

Hey my wife and I both graduated from BYU too! I graduated last year though. It will be cool to have another BYU guy there. You like football? Our team should be awesome this year.

I love football. I'm looking forward to seeing how we do this year. You never know with BYU though, they always manage to screw something up in the 4th quarter or the last half of the season. We've been good the last few years but they've been bad for so long I still get anxious because I've seen them blow a good lead so many times. But anyway, yeah. I look forward meeting you.

I had a dream last night we made it to page 8

Who's afraid of scorpions...anybody? anybody?

maybe there isn't anything to talk about since they havent mailed us in ages...

I've been getting really excited reading the Orientation schedule. If you haven't read it yet, you need to! (It's located on the MWU intranet.) It also makes waiting torture!

Also, has anyone found MWU or AZCOM paraphernalia online? I looked in the bookstore online but all I could find were a couple of beanies. I wanted to get an MWU Medicine sweatshirt or something. Maybe they have those at the bookstore on campus?