AZCOM Class of 2012 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh yeah, I am on facebook now---I am the profile with the picture of the Pug in a lifejacket.

I changed my Facebook picture to match my SDN picture. In case you guys haven't figured out who I am yet.

Members don't see this ad.

HI Slim, EEL, sunshine,and woobadger! Thanks for the congrats. The same to you!

EEL, nice to know someone else from the metroplex will be with me in AZ. I am originally from Maine (lived and went to college there). Gonna be a much different climate than Maine. It will be sad to leave Dallas, but I am going on to bigger and better things.

I interviewed on Thursday, Feb. 28th. Anyone else interview on this day? There were 17 of us there on that day.

DioNic, I was at work (in a law firm, ironically) so I could not make any loud, baboon-ish noises, but I sure felt like it :)

I called and found out about my acceptance. Did you guys get something in the mail??

Wow! It's hard to imagine what Maine would be like. I'm always fascinated by places that seem so different from any of the states I've lived in (my home state is IL). My husband, two kids and I are planning on renting a house in Surprise. I already checked out three daycares right after my interview and have narrowed it down to two. I called on Friday and found out I was accepted but I'm so antsy to actually get official confirmation in the mail. I feel like I can't cancel my MCAT until I do.

HI Slim, EEL, sunshine,and woobadger! Thanks for the congrats. The same to you!

EEL, nice to know someone else from the metroplex will be with me in AZ. I am originally from Maine (lived and went to college there). Gonna be a much different climate than Maine. It will be sad to leave Dallas, but I am going on to bigger and better things.

I interviewed on Thursday, Feb. 28th. Anyone else interview on this day? There were 17 of us there on that day.

DioNic, I was at work (in a law firm, ironically) so I could not make any loud, baboon-ish noises, but I sure felt like it :)

I called and found out about my acceptance. Did you guys get something in the mail??

I called as well...I interviewed on 2/26 ...I was told that the letters will be mailed out by the end of this week...I need to get started on the FAFSA stuff...housing ...everthing!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to all of the 2012 incoming class.

Anyone from the Feb 25th-29th dates...a special congrats for having to put up with me during your interviews.

I called as well...I interviewed on 2/26 ...I was told that the letters will be mailed out by the end of this week...I need to get started on the FAFSA stuff...housing ...everthing!

I am so itching to get that letter. It's just hard to believe I got into such a great school. Maybe they looked up my husband's app instead. :eek:;) jk

Anyone from the Feb 25th-29th dates...a special congrats for having to put up with me during your interviews.

It was a pleasure putting up with you. :)

Hey newbies,
Welcome to the "in-crowd." I am a first-year AZCOM student but will be doing an extended study program (i.e. I will be doing the pre-clinical work in three years instead of two). So I guess, technically, I am in the class of 2012 when all is said and done. I'll be taking one class per quarter with you guys next year, and some second-year classes with the 2011ers, so I'll get the best of both worlds. :)

You are coming to AZCOM at a very interesting time - one of massive growth and restructuring. If you need any words of encouragement or advice, or you need to find a good sushi restaurant, shoot me a PM or just ask here.

Hey Sarikate, just out of curiosity how many students in your class went on the extended study program? In our class of 157 I think we had about 5 or 6.

So anyone who is moving out of DFW to AZ I would be willing to help them move or consolidate moving costs... I am going on the 35 day Europe trip from 6/21 to 7/26 though, so I wont be available then...

in essence if you want/need someone really cool to move or live with and yet who is lazy about planning things like this PM me and you wont be sorry...

Thanks...and ya I remember you...Thanks for answering the 80 million ques!! :)

ok lol one more ( of the more many more to come)
what offcampus apartments do most students live in?!

anyone from the week of feb25 - 29th recieved their official acceptance letter yet?!

Hey everybody! I finally made my decision today and am soooo excited to be going to AZCOM come this fall! I can't wait to see you guys then! :D

I'm really hoping to go to the eurotrip, but I'm trying to figure out the logistics right now (as in I need 5k fast). Who all is going???

Oh, and I just joined the AZCOM 2012 facebook page. I'm the girl who just posted on the wall.

Hi everyone! I most likely going to join u guys in AZCOM but I'm still trying to decide b/w AZCOM, CCOM, and KCUMB. Any suggestions? I just love the area in AZ soooooo much but CCOM and KCUMB are much older so their rep is well known. How did u guys choose?

Yay!! The color finally change on interact now for me!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am so itching to get that letter. It's just hard to believe I got into such a great school. Maybe they looked up my husband's app instead. :eek:;) jk

It was a pleasure putting up with you. :)

My acceptance letter is framed and hung up on my wall. :) I am sure you will probably do the same, congrats EEL!

First, I wanted to welcome the incoming class of 2012. If you're still on the waiting list, hang in there. I was there four years. I hope everyone has a very relaxing, fun summer. Don't even think about school until orientation starts. Enjoy your time off while you have it!

Second, while Match Day is a week away we are 99% certain we'll be moving for residency. So I have a house to sell or rent less than two miles from AZCOM. It's a nice location, neighborhood and school district for families. If you want more purchase information, here's the links to the listing:

Broker's Listing or MLS Listing

PM me if you'd like information on renting.

Thanks!

I haven't been on here in a while. Hi people. Anyone have any hobbies they plan on attempting to keep? I play the drums and hope to still get 30min on them a day.

I haven't been on here in a while. Hi people. Anyone have any hobbies they plan on attempting to keep? I play the drums and hope to still get 30min on them a day.

I'm a (wannabe) cyclist and am hoping that I can at least keep doing that to and from classes. I hear there are good rock climbing areas around Phoenix, but I'm not holding my breath that I'll be able to make use of that for a while. :thumbdown:

Thats good....something go balance the craziness of school should be good.

Thats good....something go balance the craziness of school should be good.

I agree. My concern lies with really finding time for it when classes start. You hear all the stories of people burning out, it's a little sobering. It's important to have a life outside of it, but you also have to do well. It's a pretty tricky balancing act, I suspect.

Hello everyone. I am a current fourth year and will be moving come June to start residency. Our condo will be available for rent. We don't have to find replacement tenants, but our landlord has been so nice to us I thought I'd post this here as a favor to see if a first year is interested in moving there and potentially staying there throughout your four years.

The address is 71st Ave and Beardsley Rd. It is a just under 1000 square feet and is 2 bed/2 bath. It comes with a garage! It is located in a gated complex of condos and townhomes called Arrowhead Condominiums. It is on the 2nd floor and overlooks a lake where tilapia and large mouth can be caught if you like to fish. Rent will be around $900/mo. No smoking, no pets.

The landlord lives out of state so a property management company manages it. We have lived there almost 3 years and he has only risen the rent by $15 during that time. It has been a great place to live.

PM me if you are interested.

Thanks

If any current students know someone who is trying to rent out a house in Surprise please let me know!!

Someone help me....What does "PM me" mean???

If any current students know someone who is trying to rent out a house in Surprise please let me know!!

It would be nice to meet the DFW people before we head out west. Anyone interested in meeting for a casual dinner or something before school begins?

"PM" means "Private Message". You can send anyone a PM by clicking on their avatar or screen name and there will be an option to "Send a Private Message" to that person. It's cool because it's just like email, only through SDN.

It would be nice to meet the DFW people before we head out west. Anyone interested in meeting for a casual dinner or something before school begins?

PM means private message. Are you on Facebook? There are several of us DFWers who have been talking about planning on going out to eat possibly at PF Changs in Fort Worth sometime in April. Are you interested or would that be too far for you?

So I was looking up DOs that I might want to visit to get my physical done. And I found one that graduated from AZCOM and practices near my house.

The AOA website said that he was a FP doc. So I thought that was cool and I was all ready to make an appointment. Then I figured I'd google his name some more to see what would come up.

It was a good thing I did because it turns out he is an OB/GYN. THAT would have been an embarrassing phone call.

So I was looking up DOs that I might want to visit to get my physical done. And I found one that graduated from AZCOM and practices near my house.

The AOA website said that he was a FP doc. So I thought that was cool and I was all ready to make an appointment. Then I figured I'd google his name some more to see what would come up.

It was a good thing I did because it turns out he is an OB/GYN. THAT would have been an embarrassing phone call.

:lol:

I live in Avondale, but the drive to school is shorter than from Surprise. The house across the street from me is up for rent. It is a 1 story, 3 bed with a good sized yard. Big bonus is it puts you in Litchfield Elementary school district, which is one of the top in the state. Im not sure the price, but it cant be more than about $900 a month... maybe less (the 2 story 5 bed is for rent at $900).
Just let me know if you are interested.

I got my letter....yesterday....and my intract now changed today!!! so exciting!!
....:):)

Apartment search begins now....! :)

I live in Avondale, but the drive to school is shorter than from Surprise. The house across the street from me is up for rent. It is a 1 story, 3 bed with a good sized yard. Big bonus is it puts you in Litchfield Elementary school district, which is one of the top in the state. Im not sure the price, but it cant be more than about $900 a month... maybe less (the 2 story 5 bed is for rent at $900).
Just let me know if you are interested.

Well, Surprise is only 10 miles from school, while Avondale is 25 miles up the 10 and 101, not a fun driving experience during rush hour. I would hate to make that drive every morning. Just imagine if there's an accident, and you've got an exam to get to. A friend was commuting to campus from Chandler (as I recall) and it was just killing her, but they were kind of stuck there because of the real estate situation. It's a lousy time to be selling your place in Phoenix, but I would strongly recommend living as close to Midwestern as possible.

Well, Surprise is only 10 miles from school, while Avondale is 25 miles up the 10 and 101, not a fun driving experience during rush hour. I would hate to make that drive every morning. Just imagine if there's an accident, and you've got an exam to get to. A friend was commuting to campus from Chandler (as I recall) and it was just killing her, but they were kind of stuck there because of the real estate situation. It's a lousy time to be selling your place in Phoenix, but I would strongly recommend living as close to Midwestern as possible.

One of the main reasons we are leaning towards Surprise is because it seems that the daycares/preschools in that area are more what I'm looking for (i.e. less citations from the state). That fact alone is enough to make us much more likely to live in that area plus, although it would be nicer to live by the school, it's not a big deal to us to have a bit of a drive. Chandler would definitely be too far although that's around where most of my husband's family lives.

One of the main reasons we are leaning towards Surprise is because it seems that the daycares/preschools in that area are more what I'm looking for (i.e. less citations from the state). That fact alone is enough to make us much more likely to live in that area plus, although it would be nicer to live by the school, it's not a big deal to us to have a bit of a drive. Chandler would definitely be too far although that's around where most of my husband's family lives.

oh man! DON'T live in Chandler lol! That is halfway to Tucson! Depending on the area of Avondale, it is not a long commute at all... You don't always need to take the 10, a lot of it is accessible from the 101, which is never jammed... not even during the super bowl weekend (that is where the stadium is located). Surprise is a good area too! Personally, I am partial to Glendale, RIGHT around midwestern :laugh: seeing as how I have lived right here for 24 years!

Ummm not so much! I actually live on the boarder of Avondale and Glendale... not the ghetto part way down the 10!

Being a Master's student at Midwestern, I can tell you that I live exactly (a la my GPS unit!) 11.2 miles from school. It takes 15 mins MAX to get to school (including during the superbowl!). This is because you are going AGAINST traffic... unlike someone coming from Chandler.

It ends up faster than Surprise because of those factors...

Hey guys! I'm getting more excited by the day! I'm already thinking about what clubs and/or Itramurals I might be doing. :D I think soccer would be really fun, even though the last official team I played on was first grade. Hmmm we'll see. There are so many choices!

(I'm quite possibly overly optimistic about any extra time I might have once classes start, so sue me.)

Thanks...and ya I remember you...Thanks for answering the 80 million ques!! :)

ok lol one more ( of the more many more to come)
what offcampus apartments do most students live in?!

anyone from the week of feb25 - 29th recieved their official acceptance letter yet?!
There are three apartment complexes across the street from campus that a lot of people live in.
San Lagos, San Prados, and another one I cant remember. There are cheaper places in the area(like the place I live in), but if paying a few extra bucks OR having a roommate isnt a problem, then those 3 places are fine. Nice places.

Hi everyone! I most likely going to join u guys in AZCOM but I'm still trying to decide b/w AZCOM, CCOM, and KCUMB. Any suggestions? I just love the area in AZ soooooo much but CCOM and KCUMB are much older so their rep is well known. How did u guys choose?
Weather, area, growth, facilities.

so are there any 1bed apt complexes close but in the $5-600 range? I will be driving down the first of april to hopefully find and put down a deposit.

Ummm not so much! I actually live on the boarder of Avondale and Glendale... not the ghetto part way down the 10!

Being a Master's student at Midwestern, I can tell you that I live exactly (a la my GPS unit!) 11.2 miles from school. It takes 15 mins MAX to get to school (including during the superbowl!). This is because you are going AGAINST traffic... unlike someone coming from Chandler.

It ends up faster than Surprise because of those factors...

Gotcha, didn't realize Avondale extended so far north. With regard to schools, we finally found an outstanding preschool, the Child Development Center at ASU West, a nationally known and nationally accredited program for ASU affiliates and members of the community; it's a rare find here in Arizona, #48 in the nation for education. Little wonder that the university is shutting it down to make room for more ping pong tables (see the online petition for the details).

I guess someone there doesn't want to see us move up to #47 :( :( :( :(

This is a long shot, but here goes...

So I am definitely wanting to find at least one roommate, probably for san lagos... 90% sure I wanna be there... I have alot of nice stuff to share... but I am kinda anal retentive... I have not had good luck living with guys

if you put my teflon skillets or wooden utensils in the dishwasher; if you leave my steel knives in dishwater to rust, if you get drunk and break my wine goblets, if you burn food onto anything, if you turn on my projection tv while it is cooling down and blow a $300 bulb, if you do not keep clean your own room and bathroom, if you do anything that smells bad in the slightest, if you have a friggin playful annoying cat or a dog that craps inside, if you have extremely loud sex I will be up your *** like your mom... so dont put yourself into that situation

I have had the best luck living with women, and they dont really have to be that perfect, i.e. I want to be married one day so I have lots of practice taking **** off of women that I would take off of no man

and now that I have made myself seem like the most undesirable roommate possible... anyone interested? I am on the facebook group as Stephen Bell if you wanna check out more about me...

This is a long shot, but here goes...

So I am definitely wanting to find at least one roommate, probably for san lagos... 90% sure I wanna be there... I have alot of nice stuff to share... but I am kinda anal retentive... I have not had good luck living with guys

if you put my teflon skillets or wooden utensils in the dishwasher; if you leave my steel knives in dishwater to rust, if you get drunk and break my wine goblets, if you burn food onto anything, if you turn on my projection tv while it is cooling down and blow a $300 bulb, if you do not keep clean your own room and bathroom, if you do anything that smells bad in the slightest, if you have a friggin playful annoying cat or a dog that craps inside, if you have extremely loud sex I will be up your *** like your mom... so dont put yourself into that situation

I have had the best luck living with women, and they dont really have to be that perfect, i.e. I want to be married one day so I have lots of practice taking **** off of women that I would take off of no man

and now that I have made myself seem like the most undesirable roommate possible... anyone interested? I am on the facebook group as Stephen Bell if you wanna check out more about me...

:laugh: I think potential roommates will be banging down your door. ;)

so are there any 1bed apt complexes close but in the $5-600 range? I will be driving down the first of april to hopefully find and put down a deposit.
First off...SEC football does rule...especially for a particular school that has a dawg for a mascot.

Secondly, I live in a single bedroom apt that is in that price range. You will probably have to look elsewhere than the apts across the street from the school.

do you have any names of apartments in that range, or if the one's you are in have any openings? I am coming down the first of april to find something and put my deposit down.

Student housing (for those who applied):

We should be hearing back about this anytime now correct? Has anyone heard anything?

My status still says "Application Is Complete and Awaiting Acceptance"

Student housing (for those who applied):

We should be hearing back about this anytime now correct? Has anyone heard anything?

My status still says "Application Is Complete and Awaiting Acceptance"

Same here.

I've got a 1 yr old 1700 sf townhouse approx 10-13 minutes from campus.

2 level
gated entry
2 car garage with auto opener
pool/spa (community)
3 Bedroom/3bathroom. Perfect for family or splitting costs.
Comes with 1 yr old fridge/washer/dryer/stove/etc.
Brand new all tile lower level incl. master bedroom.
Small backyard
No Pets
No Smoking
Literally ( i kid you not) about 2 minutes from the local school. K-6 I think.

The feedback I've had from my medical students is that the price is the same as renting an apartment, but with an extra 700SF. Not to mention the garage, backyard, etc..

$1050/mo. Require 1st/last, non refund cleaning deposit, and $1000 security (fully refundable).

623 328 7120 Gerry or Rosy

Thanks for responding!

Did you make your decision yet? By the way, it took me a while to realize that your last name is the first half of my middle name. :D

I know there's a "what laptop are you getting" thread, but I'd like to know what kind you guys are bringing. I'm not sure what kind of laptop AZCOM suggests and what kind they wouldn't (apple?). Does anyone know what kind of specs are needed or know if that info is online?

Also, since the financial aid checks won't even be coming until the first month after school starts, are most of you guys just waiting until then to buy a laptop? Waiting until a month or even a week into school to get a laptop seems sketchy. If I did that, I would just make do with the one I use now until getting the new one, but it makes more sense to get the new laptop before school starts, right?

From what I understand, it is not even necessry to have a laptop. I bought a gateway notebook last year and I will have that with me when I move, but I don't plan on lugging it with me to class. I am hoping I can get by with just my blackberry.

p.s. I don't know about you guys, but I am starting to get really excited about moving!!