AZCOM Class of 2012 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What type of computer does everyone have? I'd really like to get a mac, but i'm wondering if there is any software we'll be getting that won't be compatible. Any advice?

I have the exact same question! I would like a mac but I'm worried about compatibility issues . . .

Members don't see this ad.

I have the exact same question! I would like a mac but I'm worried about compatibility issues . . .

I have a mac and I plan on using boot camp to run Windows. There shouldn't be a problem.

What plan do you recommend?
Thanks!

A lot of people seem to go to Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Arizona for their insurance, slight cheaper and better coverage.

Members don't see this ad :)

No worries, buy a mac! There's no software they give us and a nice chunk of our class has macs (including myself). I also learned that you can use your iPhone when on rotations, that most of the software people use (voluntarily) is now compatible and available for free on the mac website.

Is the new auditorium suppose to be finished by the time school starts?

Yeah, I really hope they're ready for the 250 and the dental program...

On another note, I was wondering about financial aid, seeing as they won't return my email/phone....

I'm borrowing 40k for next year, so I'll need to fork over a little cash for tuition. So, I won't need to do that direct deposit thing since because the loan is going straight towards tuition, I won't actually ever have the money, right?

Yeah, I really hope they're ready for the 250 and the dental program...

On another note, I was wondering about financial aid, seeing as they won't return my email/phone....

I'm borrowing 40k for next year, so I'll need to fork over a little cash for tuition. So, I won't need to do that direct deposit thing since because the loan is going straight towards tuition, I won't actually ever have the money, right?

Right. As long as your not getting a refund (i.e extra loan money) no need for direct deposit.

What number did you try?

Try this one.... http://mwunet.midwestern.edu/administrative/FinAid/faHome.htm
they usually answer. If not, keep trying throughout the day. If you still don't get anything PM me. I'm doing some work study there and I can get someone to call you.

Are any MSI-IV looking for a roommate? I'm a easy going person seeking the same. Feel free to PM and I can give more info. See everyone during orientation! -ryan

A lot of people seem to go to Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Arizona for their insurance, slight cheaper and better coverage.

If anyone finds a good plan with them let me know. All I could find was super expensive.

If anyone finds a good plan with them let me know. All I could find was super expensive.

One option you do have is to go to the Department of Economic Security and apply for the state health insurance (AHCCCS). There are some qualifications you have to meet, but if your poor and living on student loans you should be able to get it. My wife and I were able to receive the insurance with little trouble (aside from having to wait forever to be seen by a social worker).

hey guys, does any1 know if we are going to have a white coat ceremony and when? i tried searching the school calender on the mwunet and i found the date for CCOM but nothing for AZCOM...

hey guys, does any1 know if we are going to have a white coat ceremony and when? i tried searching the school calender on the mwunet and i found the date for CCOM but nothing for AZCOM...

I believe it's on December 5 but I will double check.

Yep it's on December 5. I don't know about the website but the academic calendar at online.midwestern.edu has it listed under the winter quarter.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe it's on December 5 but I will double check.

Yep it's on December 5. I don't know about the website but the academic calendar at online.midwestern.edu has it listed under the winter quarter.

thank you :)

Last edited:
Try checking the website arizonahealthplans.com. I got insurance through Humana for about $72 a month, much better than the 200 the school plan charges. They have several plans/companies to choose from, including blue cross.

so has anyone seen the orientation schedule anywhere? i would like to go home over laborday weekend but was curious as to what time i could book a flight for friday afternoon.

if anyone is already here and waiting for classes, i have been bike riding around and might be cool to meet up somewhere and ride if anyone's interested. i live in country gables apartments across from thunderbird school of mgt.

if anyone is already here and waiting for classes, i have been bike riding around and might be cool to meet up somewhere and ride if anyone's interested. i live in country gables apartments across from thunderbird school of mgt.

I'm not so sure about the bike riding (a little hot for me), but we usually go out on the weekends and have a shindig or two during the week. If anyone is interested let me know. :thumbup:;)

Try checking the website arizonahealthplans.com. I got insurance through Humana for about $72 a month, much better than the 200 the school plan charges. They have several plans/companies to choose from, including blue cross.

I just found out that if you have AAA, they can get a 5% off the BlueCross group plan.

When do you guys start classes? I remember starting in late August but I don't remember the date. Also do any of you know if the class size was increased to 200 or 250? With that kind of increase I hope for your sake that the school signed more contracts with teaching hospitals to provide you with core rotations at hospitals with residency programs. Remember that lots of easy preceptor rotations will NOT prepare you to be a good intern. It may seem premature to think about this prior to the start of med school but believe me the more you know now the better off you will be when clinicals start. Enjoy orientation week and party hard :D

When do you guys start classes? I remember starting in late August but I don't remember the date. Also do any of you know if the class size was increased to 200 or 250? With that kind of increase I hope for your sake that the school signed more contracts with teaching hospitals to provide you with core rotations at hospitals with residency programs. Remember that lots of easy preceptor rotations will NOT prepare you to be a good intern. It may seem premature to think about this prior to the start of med school but believe me the more you know now the better off you will be when clinicals start. Enjoy orientation week and party hard :D

Hi im24, orientation's Wed.-Fri. August 27-29. As I recall it was not all day every day, more like 9-3. Classes begin Tuesday Sept 2 (Monday's labor day). The school says they've been working hard to line up new clinical rotation spots. Dr. G. is giving a "town hall" talk today at noon (Friday) in Cholla D and I'm going. Will ask her this question if no one else does.
Cheers,
Theraball

Hi im24, orientation's Wed.-Fri. August 27-29. As I recall it was not all day every day, more like 9-3. Classes begin Tuesday Sept 2 (Monday's labor day). The school says they've been working hard to line up new clinical rotation spots. Dr. G. is giving a "town hall" talk today at noon (Friday) in Cholla D and I'm going. Will ask her this question if no one else does.
Cheers,
Theraball

Cool bro, that would be a great question to ask her although she may give you the run around or say something nonspecific. When I say these things I'm not trying to be pesimistic or bad mouth the school. I just want to make sure that all of you are getting your 43K a year worth of education. Believe me there are some students in my class who never thought about any of this nor were proactive. Many of them ended up with garbage rotations that they are tyring to make up for at the beginning of fourth year. So make sure to be proactive and do your research. Anyone can PM me with questions as well.

Is the new auditorium suppose to be finished by the time school starts?

No way, but I hope it's done by June because we're supposed to have our graduation ceremony in that sucker!

Cool bro, that would be a great question to ask her although she may give you the run around or say something nonspecific. When I say these things I'm not trying to be pesimistic or bad mouth the school. I just want to make sure that all of you are getting your 43K a year worth of education. Believe me there are some students in my class who never thought about any of this nor were proactive. Many of them ended up with garbage rotations that they are tyring to make up for at the beginning of fourth year. So make sure to be proactive and do your research. Anyone can PM me with questions as well.

She said they're "working hard" on expanding the number of clinical training opportunities, and institutions are starting to "come to us" now. I guess that's a good trend. $43K. Wow, I'm numb. That used to sound like a huge amount of money, but it's just a number now.

hey guys, I see the budget says $3200 for books and supplies. is that reasonable/high/low??? any input would be helpful. I'm doing some financial planning.