AZCOM Class of 2012 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is a random question but, do we have dances or formals or whatever at AZCOM? I know some med schools have like "med school prom" so I was just wondering. I know TUCOM NV has them too.

I know for sure they have a spring formal dance type of thing.... I don't know if they do anything else throughout the year?

Members don't see this ad.

I know for sure they have a spring formal dance type of thing.... I don't know if they do anything else throughout the year?

Really? I never heard about these sort of things in a med school. That's brilliant! I'm glad to hear that we're allowed to be human occasionally. :hardy:

Members don't see this ad :)
http://mwunet.midwestern.edu/administrative/Registrar/regAZ.htm#Blocks

that's the website that'll have the block schedule and it should be up soon I would think. I'm a MSII, and we didn't have tests on Fridays until January (though there may have been an occasional one), ours were just on Monday. But again, things might change because of the class increase. You can also miss class Friday if you need to. It's not always the best advice, but depending on what classes you have, you might feel comfortable leaving early, say after anatomy. If you want to buy your tickets now, I would suggest Southwest because you can change your ticket easily and inexpensively...like $5 is what it was last year. That works great, especially since it might happen to be a difficult week for you and you don't want to skip class. Good luck! September's a good time though because you'll only have had a few weeks of class. :)

Thanks so much for all the help!

Hey Joe,
I'm a third yeard and am looking for a couple of roommates. My house is newer and right next to campus. It is huge and has a pool. Drop me a line if interested.
Steve

Hey everyone I'm an MS-IV who is looking to rent out a house less that a mile from campus. It is a three bedroom, 2.5 bath two story fully furnished house just east of campus near 51st Ave and Topeka (go east on Utopia). Total rent for three people is $1800 a month which should include utilities. If you have any questions or are interested give me a call at 623-628-7777.

My e-mail is [email protected].

Hey everyone I'm an MS-IV who is looking to rent out a house less that a mile from campus. It is a three bedroom, 2.5 bath two story fully furnished house just east of campus near 51st Ave and Topeka (go east on Utopia). Total rent for three people is $1500 a month which should include utilities. If you have any questions or are interested give me a call at 623-628-7777.

My e-mail is [email protected].

Questions about MSI schedule:

Anatomy Labs: These are listed every Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday. A first year told me that we only have anat lab once a week, so are we assigned just one of those three days? One day a week for anatomy lab sounds a whole lot better than three...for some odd reason.

Biochem workshops: What exactly are these? The only thing I can picture is my biochem lab in undergrad which was excruciatingly painful and tedious. Is this like lab with partners and stuff? What kind of topics are covered in "workshops"? Do the practicals have required attendance like labs? Maybe a current student could enlighten all of us about this.

Human Behavior: Easy class? Hard? It's only 1 unit so I thought I'd ask even though it probably won't make a difference.

Inter. Healthcare: Interesting? Worth attending?

Has anyone made the move to glendale yet? I just drove in from ohio and we move in today!
Posted via Mobile Device

Hi everyone- Congrats on getting into med school! I am a recent graduate and now a pediatric intern. I can't believe 4 years went so fast....Anyway, I am writing to see if any of you are interested in buying a house near school. My house is for sale in Peoria. It is about a 10 minute drive to the school. If interested check out the link below or PM me. Sorry about putting this on here, but I just wanted to see if any of you are interested in buying a place. Good luck and feel free to ask me any questions regarding AZCOM!

http://www.keytoazhomes.com/property.asp?id_property=105977

Anatomy Labs: These are listed every Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday. A first year told me that we only have anat lab once a week, so are we assigned just one of those three days? One day a week for anatomy lab sounds a whole lot better than three...for some odd reason.

Biochem workshops: What exactly are these? The only thing I can picture is my biochem lab in undergrad which was excruciatingly painful and tedious. Is this like lab with partners and stuff? What kind of topics are covered in "workshops"? Do the practicals have required attendance like labs? Maybe a current student could enlighten all of us about this.

Human Behavior: Easy class? Hard? It's only 1 unit so I thought I'd ask even though it probably won't make a difference.

Anatomy lab..you'll be in lab once a week.

Biochem lab..not actually a lab. It's more like a workshop they make you tie in basic sciene principles with real world clinical scenarios..Diabetes, alcoholism, nutrition, etc.

Human Behavior..fluff psych class.

Integrated health..completely ditchable.

Has anyone been on CCOM's website? Noteably the intranet/dean's/clinical education links? Its much more organized with tons of slides/lectures/powerpoints....whats up AZCOM, get w/ the program

Members don't see this ad :)

Anatomy - yes, you only have lab once a week, but you're responsible for the dissections they do the other 2 days (so you go in on your own or look over it the one day you are there). this is mandatory.

biochem - the workshops are, surprisingly, a little difficult to describe. you go 1 day a week for these too. no partners, it's class work. you cover topics similar to those you're learning in lecture, but do calculations or just talk about them more in depth. it's good because your'e in a small enough group where you can ask questions if you want to. these are mandatory too.

human behavior - everyone thought this would be easy, but it turned out not ot be for many people. don't underestimate it and only study like an hour for the test. with that said, it really isn't a difficult class, and it is onyl an hour, so not worth much, but if you pay attention and give it a little time, it's an easy A. not mandatory (no lectures were for us at least)

interdisciplinary - this is mandatory and if you skip and they take attendance, you have to write a 6 page paper. i'm sure your topics will change. but all the first years from all the programs come and you learn about the others programs, plus there are some different "general health" topics. the point is, we're a health system that needs to talk with other members of it and understand what other members can do for you and your patient.

Has anyone been on CCOM's website? Noteably the intranet/dean's/clinical education links? Its much more organized with tons of slides/lectures/powerpoints....whats up AZCOM, get w/ the program

totally bring this up in orientation. we were told they couldn't do things until ccom did them....such as internet in the classrooms.

Yeah seems pretty rediculous. CCOM even has a whole tone of histology/path slides on there for studying...you'd imagine they'd have the same site coordinator to make both campus sites similar? Or maybe i just dont know anything about the web

Anatomy - yes, you only have lab once a week, but you're responsible for the dissections they do the other 2 days (so you go in on your own or look over it the one day you are there). this is mandatory.

biochem - the workshops are, surprisingly, a little difficult to describe. you go 1 day a week for these too. no partners, it's class work. you cover topics similar to those you're learning in lecture, but do calculations or just talk about them more in depth. it's good because your'e in a small enough group where you can ask questions if you want to. these are mandatory too.

human behavior - everyone thought this would be easy, but it turned out not ot be for many people. don't underestimate it and only study like an hour for the test. with that said, it really isn't a difficult class, and it is onyl an hour, so not worth much, but if you pay attention and give it a little time, it's an easy A. not mandatory (no lectures were for us at least)

interdisciplinary - this is mandatory and if you skip and they take attendance, you have to write a 6 page paper. i'm sure your topics will change. but all the first years from all the programs come and you learn about the others programs, plus there are some different "general health" topics. the point is, we're a health system that needs to talk with other members of it and understand what other members can do for you and your patient.

Thanks! This is really helpful! And it's definitely a relief to look at the schedule and know that anatomy lab will only be one of those days...sheesh.

I remember reading back in the winter people mentioning that we get "mentors" or pretty much students that call us over the summer or something. What ever happened to that?

I remember reading back in the winter people mentioning that we get "mentors" or pretty much students that call us over the summer or something. What ever happened to that?

I got an email a couple of days ago from someone who said she was my "big sister." It came to my azwebmail account.

So yeah, it looks like they are doing that.

I was wondering w/ double the class that they might not be able to find enough 'big bro/sis'....I wonder how useful they are?

well, like profs or parents,
some can be great, some can suck. so cross your fingers that yours is good lol
some ppl will have two "little siblings" and the idea is that they will hand down notes/books/pointers on how to study and will introduce you to the school, both academically and socially.
my big bro emailed me, thou he and i have been keeping in touch all summer cuz we knew we were getting each other (he requested me).
but you guys should all hear from them soon if you havent already yet.

a good idea is to meet with them before school starts just to shoot the **** and get aquainted. this is a great oportunity for us in my opinion, and these ppl were in our shoes just last year. so i would definitely suggest staying on their good sides and listening to their advice.

:)
hope that cleared up any confusion about the whole mentor thing.....thats the most i know at this point in time.

ps. i'm getting really excited to move down and meet everyone!

I contacted the site coordinator MWU websites and mentioned how ours are subpar to CCOM's intranet and the lady told me that the administration has been very busy with the class increase and securing rotations here in AZ, so I guess its ok that our site is outdated for now!

I contacted the site coordinator MWU websites and mentioned how ours are subpar to CCOM's intranet and the lady told me that the administration has been very busy with the class increase and securing rotations here in AZ, so I guess its ok that our site is outdated for now!

Yikes! Yeah, I hope to see the benefits of the great work of the staff come third year! Keep working on those clinicals MWU! :) :D

I just scheduled my appointment for my physical. What exactly is the purpose of these things? I'm in great shape, but for some reason I'm nervous about it. It just seems like one last thing that could keep me out of med school.

Plus I made the appointment with some random MD that I have never met. Then I told my wife who my appointment was with and she said "Oh I went to that guy once. He was a real jerk"

soo.... I hope everything goes well.

I went to my family doctor for my physical and he seriously spent no more than 5minutes w/ me. Most the time he just congratulated me on med school. I doubt this will keep you out of med school unless your b.p is 180/80 and you go blind.

Thanks! This is really helpful! And it's definitely a relief to look at the schedule and know that anatomy lab will only be one of those days...sheesh.

Hi Dancer
Regardless of how many classes per week (at some schools it's more like 2-3 labs a week) I think going into the lab nearly every day to review the structures will be a pretty good idea unless you're one of those amazing memorizers. In my opinion, having to share the cadaver with two other teams kind of sucks because you don't learn the structures as well when you don't discover them, at least it's true for me.
-Tb

I was wondering w/ double the class that they might not be able to find enough 'big bro/sis'....I wonder how useful they are?

The emails with names and email addresses were issued last week so you should check your azwebmail and your alternative email address that is on file with AZCOM.

Some of the big sibs are out of the country and probably wont be emailing their little sibs until August.

Only about 80 of the 2011'ers signed up for the program so most that did will have 2-3 little siblings.

The program is great, your big sib will help you get acclimated, pass down any advice/notes/special study aids that they found useful. They will also get you the Med Stud DVD which is about 6 gigs worth of useful material.

Thanks for the info, you should be my big bro haha

Hi Dancer
Regardless of how many classes per week (at some schools it's more like 2-3 labs a week) I think going into the lab nearly every day to review the structures will be a pretty good idea unless you're one of those amazing memorizers. In my opinion, having to share the cadaver with two other teams kind of sucks because you don't learn the structures as well when you don't discover them, at least it's true for me.
-Tb

Thanks, that's good to know. Is the cadaver lab that accessible throughout the day, like is it open late at night for the night studiers? How about the library?

Thanks, that's good to know. Is the cadaver lab that accessible throughout the day, like is it open late at night for the night studiers? How about the library?

As a fellow night studier, I can probably answer this.

The anatomy lab closes at 8:30PM, however all that means is the automatic locks will not accept your key card beyond that time. If you are already inside the lab, or there is someone there to let you in from the inside, you can stay there as late as you want. Generally, the security staff will not kick you out after hours. I've been there as late as 1am with no problems.

The library has odd hours; on Sunday nights they are open till 12AM, Fridays they close at 8:30PM, Monday through Thursdays and Saturdays I think they are open till 10:30 or 11PM. I think they open sometime around 10AM on weekends, but being a night studier I was hardly ever at school that early on weekends. I am not sure when the library opens on Monday-Friday, it has always been open when I arrived for class at 8AM. They also change their hours during finals week to allow for more late nights.

There are a few 24 hour access areas on campus that are great for those of us studying late. There is a 24 hour room that has vending machines (including a starbucks machine that makes hot coffee....delicious). You can always access the cafeteria 24 hours a day too.

There is a pretty consistant group of late night studiers between the 24 hour room at the cafeteria so come join the crew.

Last edited:
Big brothers/sisters can be very helpful if both parties are willing to put in the time.

Last edited:
rose - im looking at getting Aetna which is going to run about $60 a month. i heard blue shield is a good choice too

Also - had a roomie drop out so im looking to rent a room in a 3BR lakeside house thats a half mile north of campus. $525 plus split utilites. email me at [email protected] if you want to see pictures or get more info. thx!

Hey everyone,

I am a first year med student and I just got accepted to AZCOM. I am actually in Ft. Lauderdale right now and was planning on attending NSUCOM in about a week (bad timing for an acceptance). I was actually five min away from buying a car when I got the call. Anyways, I am having a hard time figuring out which is the better school as far as education goes. I would say hands-down, NSU has better cultural/social life, equal weather, and a sweet campus. But I am more concerned about the education. If you have heard anything about NSU and could give me a general comparison or a gut instinct it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Andrew Liguori

its seem really late for you to just switch school, especially since you're starting next week. Azcom has very stellar passing rates for the boards, pretty much either number 1 or 2 among DO schools in % students passing. But what could anyone tell you to make you decide to come across the country on such short notice. I know nothing about NSU so hopefully someone else can help you. Ask NSU students

Hey everyone,

I am a first year med student and I just got accepted to AZCOM. I am actually in Ft. Lauderdale right now and was planning on attending NSUCOM in about a week (bad timing for an acceptance). I was actually five min away from buying a car when I got the call. Anyways, I am having a hard time figuring out which is the better school as far as education goes. I would say hands-down, NSU has better cultural/social life, equal weather, and a sweet campus. But I am more concerned about the education. If you have heard anything about NSU and could give me a general comparison or a gut instinct it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Andrew Liguori

Congratulations--some people don't get in anywhere, and you get to choose. Life could be much worse :)

I think this comparison has been made before, so I'll be brief:
Nova cons: required attendance (swipe in to class with ID--they're serious); dress code (ties, etc., see school website); expensive place to live (so I hear); crime rate is moderate to high.
Pros: Fort Lauderdale, fun place to live, lots of hospitals, grads say it's a good school.
AZCOM cons: preceptor clinicals (variable quality), newly enlarged class (could also be a pro), paleolithic attitude toward computers (limited wi-fi, limited course materials online, no recorded/video'd lectures).
Pros: high board pass rates, no dress code, no required attendance to lectures, friendly professors and administration, (relatively) cheap cost of living.

good luck!

rose - im looking at getting Aetna which is going to run about $60 a month. i heard blue shield is a good choice too

Also - had a roomie drop out so im looking to rent a room in a 3BR lakeside house thats a half mile north of campus. $525 plus split utilites. email me at [email protected] if you want to see pictures or get more info. thx!

For only $60 a month does it have the type of coverage we're required to have?

hi guys! hope every1's enjoying their summer ;)

does anyone knows anything about car insurance in az? as an out of state student I don't think i have to get an az driver license, can i still get car insurance there with an out of state license? can i drive in az with insurance from another state? another thing is my car is actually under my dad's name, whom is not moving to az with me.

thnx in advance ^^

hi guys! hope every1's enjoying their summer ;)

does anyone knows anything about car insurance in az? as an out of state student I don't think i have to get an az driver license, can i still get car insurance there with an out of state license? can i drive in az with insurance from another state? another thing is my car is actually under my dad's name, whom is not moving to az with me.

thnx in advance ^^

I can't imagine it would matter, as long as you have insurance. But honestly, the best people to call about this would be your car insurance company and ask one of their customer service reps. They should be able to give you a firm answer.

Another thing you can do is a call a national insurance company like progressive or something and ask them as well (if your insurance company can't provide an answer).

i just read the insurance waiver and the only thing im unsure about is the min $200,000 benefit. i sent an email to my rep to ask if the Aetna PPO 5000 would qualify.

i'm moving from nyc on August 25th to start school. i need help!! any suggestions on how to go about finding an apt and roommates?!

i'm moving from nyc on August 25th to start school. i need help!! any suggestions on how to go about finding an apt and roommates?!

Hey Congratulations! Glad to see you'll be joining our class! Since this is all last minute for you, I would first call Student Services at AZCOM (they're really helpful) and they can email you a list of apartments nearby and maybe even provide you with names of other students looking for roommates.

The primary apartment complexes that other AZCOMers seem to be living at are San Lagos & San Padro (closest to school, probably want a roommate to split costs since expensive for single BR), Sage Stone, Sierra Canyon, and Adobe Ridge. The last three are very affordable for a single BR apt if you can't find a roommate and decide to live alone. I'm living at Adobe Ridge with several other AZCOMers and if they still have 1 BRs available, you should check them out because they probably have the lowest cost and they're my favorite :D. I would do all of this apt hunting soon though (I would call these places), because the availability at the closest apartment complexes is dwindling.

Best of luck and we'll see you soon! :hardy:

The primary apartment complexes that other AZCOMers seem to be living at are San Lagos & San Padro (closest to school, probably want a roommate to split costs since expensive for single BR), Sage Stone, Sierra Canyon, and Adobe Ridge. The last three are very affordable for a single BR apt if you can't find a roommate and decide to live alone. I'm living at Adobe Ridge with several other AZCOMers and if they still have 1 BRs available, you should check them out because they probably have the lowest cost and they're my favorite :D. I would do all of this apt hunting soon though (I would call these places), because the availability at the closest apartment complexes is dwindling.

thanks for the advice! i called adobe ridge and there are still a few 1 and 2 bedrooms available. now to find a roommate...i really don't want to live by myself. please contact me (anyone!) if you still searching for a roommate. btw, do you mind if i give your name to the adobe ridge housing office? I think since you refered me to the complex you get a discount or some sort of deal on your rent, which I assume would be a plus for anyone. thanks again and look forward to meeting you as well :)

Can someone please post a list of elective courses (not rotations) available at AZCOM?

The catalog says to check the intranet for current options, but I'm pretty sure your average Joe can't access that. If this is false, a link would be great!

Hey Guys,

Hope everyone is enjoying their Summer. I thought I would pass along some cash saving advice for you incoming students.

Do everything you can to find alternative insurance to what the school will offer you; it is a horrendous insurance plan. There are comparably priced, and better plans out there. Aetna comes through the school and will run you about 200$/month, and they will refuse to pay for damn near everything. If you need a normal medication refill, they will deny the office visit. If you find yourself having allergies to the Arizona weather, they will deny the visit. If you get an ear infection (happened to a friend) and need to go get antibiotics, they will deny the office visit. If you break a bone and need to go see a specialist, they will approve the visit, then make you pay for everything anyway by "applying it to the deductible".

The schools insurance plan has not paid for a single thing for me the entire 6 months I have had it. Avoid them and get a better carrier.

What plan do you recommend?
Thanks!

Who else thinks the school should give us PDAs our 2nd year like some schools. that'd be sweet

Who else thinks the school should give us PDAs our 2nd year like some schools. that'd be sweet

That really would be sweet. Didn't know there are schools that do that. I'm a bit worried about the school being not really "computer dependent", maybe they would see PDAs as unnecessary also....

What type of computer does everyone have? I'd really like to get a mac, but i'm wondering if there is any software we'll be getting that won't be compatible. Any advice?