AZCOM Class of 2012 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jltuttle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
ahhh! is this our class thread? I should start posting in here instead of in the pre-med forum because everyone in there is wondering about interview stuff... we are way past that :)! Already excited for school to start in 10 months!

Hello possible future classmates.

Got the good letter today. very happy. Ive been on 5 interviews and by far was most impressed with AZCOM. They really seem to have it together and I think in another 10 years AZCOM will be one of the top DO schools.

However I got interview at Touro-NY in 2 weeks and regardless of what I think of the school I would love to live on the east coast for a few years. Ive lived in SoCal way too long and need a change.

anyway...just me typing out the crap that floats through my head. gratz everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello fellow classmates! How exciting is this huh? Were in!

Now if I can just hold that acceptance letter in my hands to make it really official and I can log into my interact account.

Welcome, comrades. I just studied for 14 hours for our upcoming biochem test. I feel like a deflated balloon. To see people excited about coming to our school is heartening. The weather is nice. Fall quarter is over in 2 weeks. We will have something like 14 amazing days to be able to do the dishes and grocery-shop and call our friends and feel precious. Life will be good.

The school is absolutely afrizz with new buildings and it looks horrible right now but it will supposedly be razzly-dazzly by the time you get here.

Anyway, welcome, enjoy your life, let us know if you're going to visit.

Yay I'm so excited to be a part of this thread! I have one more interview at PCOM this week, but it really is a mere formality before I send my check to AZCOM (my parents live near Phil, thus really want me to go there).

It feels so nice to be accepted to this school :D

I haven't gotten my letter yet, I hope it comes today so I can log in!

Hey! How did you all decided to pick AZCOM.
My family didn't tell me I was admitted, I had to call up the school to find out. +pissed+ Anyway I'm really excited!

Hello all.

I'm a 2nd year student at AZCOM (class of 2010). Just as at all schools some of the classes have been great and some have sucked. The downside: perhaps this is also true at other schools, but when I interviewed I was told that arranging my own rotations wouldn't be a problem. My classmates have said that they were told the same thing. The dean informed the class this year that all of our 3rd year rotations would be "in-system" so that they could better regulate the quality of our rotations. They don't have enough ward-based rotations for half of my class (which is smaller than yours will be) and some of those that they have are awful (my wife was talking to the wife of a 3rd year recently who has been sitting around for two weeks on his ob/gyn rotation b/c none of the docs will let him in the same room). The real motivation for making us take this lousy rotations is probably that they're afraid that the other rotations in town are going to be snapped up by AT Still (new campus here), or Mayo. Another tasty event was when she walked in the first day of class second year and announced that the preceptorship program was going to be taken away and we were going to have to find "volunteers" to do physicals on during the quarter. She claims that was to make sure that we were getting "standardized" practice. The library currently has space for ~150 students packed solid and there are many times that number on campus. There's also constant heavy machinery work being done ~10 feet from the windows in the library. So, I don't know what you were told during your interview process, but this is my take for whatever it's worth.:thumbdown:

ouch! that post hurts.

I'm a first year at AZCOM and have been more than happy with my classes and professors here. They did do away with the preceptorships, but we were told that they would all be replaced with standardized patients. We were never told that we would have to find "volunteers." However, I have not had any experience with this yet. The dean also told us that this year alone they have added over 10 new rotation sites at big, teaching hospitals in Phoenix. Again, this is what we were "told" so take it for what it's worth. I am happy here so far and feel free to ask me any questions.

I would agree with poster above. School is expanding, they are constructing new facilities for incoming students and getting more clinical sites for incoming students. My roommate is third year student and all of his rotations are ward base. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.

Hi guys,

I'm officially accepted! Yay! I can't wait to start. I'm looking to purchase a house for the time that I'm there. Would anyone know how safe the neighborhood is around campus and what the housing market is like?

Hi guys,

I'm officially accepted! Yay! I can't wait to start. I'm looking to purchase a house for the time that I'm there. Would anyone know how safe the neighborhood is around campus and what the housing market is like?

the neighborhoods surrounding midwestern are all very safe. Currently the housing market is down... good for someone coming in to buy a house but bad for selling! The neighborhoods directly north and west of the campus are generally newer and nicer. The ones to the south and east are older, but still nice. All of the neighborhoods are equally safe though. Also, all the neighborhoods should have something in the price range for first time buyers. I'm not sure what size/price you are looking for or how far away you want to be from the school, but there are several new communities within a 15 minute drive from campus that are building new homes in all price ranges. PM me if you would like any other advice.... I have lived in the neighborhood of Midwestern for 24 years now!

Members don't see this ad :)
Firstly, welcome to all of you and congratulations from a first year student at AZCOM, you're making a good decision.....Posters on this page who are current students are generally correct, there are a lot of changes going on around campus and it can be frustrating getting around the contrsuction and occasionally can be loud.

But to those of you who may be "on the fence" about coming here b/c of someone's complaints on this thread, I offer this suggestion...keep the bigger picture in mind. They may be right, campus doesn't look the greatest right now but imagine what it will be like when its all done! They are building a brand new recreation center, a new academic building with new lecture halls, and they are adding many long needed ammeneties (elevator, bathrooms, and more study areas) to an already very nice library with tons of great resources and a very helpful staff. I study at the library quite a bit right now, and even with the second floor being closed for renovations, you can still usually find a spot to plop down for a good 8 hour study session. Plus you can always study outside in the "ramada" since it's like 80 degrees year round (they actually have a wireless access point out there for your laptop). Plus, most of the construction will be done by the time you guys get here.

As for the noise "issue" associated with the construction... it is never bad on the weekends or evenings since they typically don't build then, just sometimes during the day, when most students are in lecture anyways, not trying to study in the library...I suppose if you're one of the students who skips class to go study on your own, this could be annoying. My solution for the rare times they are loud.... iPod!! Jam out to some john coltrane or miles davis and you'll forget there's a jackhammer outside the window.

Well, I should go study considering we have 5 written exams and 2 practical exams to take this week (looking forward to thanksgiving break)....see what you all have to look forward to....enjoy your freedom / social life while it lasts!

Your buddy,

MedStud13

AZCOM 2011

I was accepted to AZCOM and I am waiting for allopathic interviews, should i put a deposite down on AZCOM? it seems like a lot of people have complaints about AZCOM

hey peeps

anyone mind posting some of the rotation sites for AZCOM? i know western has a big training hospital with arrowhead and was wondering what azcom has.

Thanks!

AZCOM 2012

Good Samaritan, Phoenix Children's, Baptist Hospital, to name a few...you can call up the clinical education department directly and ask them to get more pertinent details. Things are shifting fast around here. Lots of new things going on. Go to their website if you haven't and look at their rotation sites and also their residency matches.

Things are shifting fast around here. Lots of new things going on.

Can you be more specific? One thing that I'm worried about is the 100 student increase for next year. Of all the new buildings that they are in the process of making, will any of them include classroom space for this student increase? I'm specifically worried about anatomy lab and OMM. Furthermore, what are they planning on doing for third year clerkships? Will more rotation sites, that are actually ward-based, be availabe to all 250 third year students in the Phoenix area? Seems like a tall order to me!

Any input from current students would be much appreciated!

Hey Everyone!
I am about 95% postive that I will be coming to AZCOM next year and was wondering if anyone could let me know how likely it is that I will be able to live in the same place all four years. Do most students have to move after year two for rotations? I didn't get a clear answer when I interviewed. My husband and I would like to buy but only if it will be longer than two years with the market down and everything. Thanks,
Hillary

Hey Everyone!
I am about 95% postive that I will be coming to AZCOM next year and was wondering if anyone could let me know how likely it is that I will be able to live in the same place all four years. Do most students have to move after year two for rotations? I didn't get a clear answer when I interviewed. My husband and I would like to buy but only if it will be longer than two years with the market down and everything. Thanks,
Hillary

You're very likely to be in town for the first three years.

We bought a house anticipating that we would be here for 3-4 years. Although the housing market is slow at this time, most realtors that I have spoken to predict an upswing in about a year and a half. With about 100,000 to 120,000 people moving to the valley each year, the market is bound to pick up. And with Midwestern expanding the way it is, it should not be too difficult to sell your place to a medical family. Worst case, you might be able to rent out your house if you relocate for 4th year rotations. Good luck!

Anyone know when housing applications will be available?

Good Samaritan, Phoenix Children's, Baptist Hospital, to name a few...Go to their website if you haven't and look at their rotation sites...

I haven't found this info when I have looked. Any chance you can provide a link?

hello fellow AZCOM 2012ers... :hello: i'm glad to be joining your ranks. any other med students currently here and are willing to share their sentiments on +/-'s, it'd be greatly appreciated.

it's a long shot... but any Serbs/Bosnians/Croatians/Macedonians around? :)

you haven't had a chance yet, check out the front page of SDN. An AZCOM grad, originally from Uganda, shares his perspective on positive thinking and practicing medicine.

Anyone already pay the deposit yet?

Does anyone know where we can find sample syllabi on the website?

Any greeks out there by any chance? haha

Just thought I'd say hello to my fellow classmates. I am about to pay the deposit, and then it is final I guess. See you in 2008!

I too, 5 min ago, paid my deposit. AZCOM Class of 2012 is stamped on my ass. woot!

For anyone who is interested, the housing application is now available on the student services website. If you're interested in on-campus housing at MWU I would suggest signing up quick, I hear housing fills up fast.

I just got the call from admissions telling me I was accepted! :D I've got a few more interviews to go to, but so far I've been most impressed with this school. Happy to join the lot of you.

Hello all! I just found out today that i have been accepted! I can't wait for this fall!!!

Hello all! I just found out today that i have been accepted! I can't wait for this fall!!!

ME TOO! I am a masters student at Midwestern currently, and I cannot wait to start med school... get excited!

Anyone that is going to AZCOM looking for a place to live PM me!!! I am looking for 1-2 roommates that would want to live in the apartment complexes across from the school or find a house nearby!

I got my call yesterday as well, cheers to the Class of 2012 at AZCOM. :hardy:

Anyone that is going to AZCOM looking for a place to live PM me!!! I am looking for 1-2 roommates that would want to live in the apartment complexes across from the school or find a house nearby!

If you are thinking about housing nearby i would suggest you call the housing director at school and get the list of places for rent in the area. they can also set you up with roomates that way too...

if anyone wants to know more about the area around school, just ask... :)

If you are thinking about housing nearby i would suggest you call the housing director at school and get the list of places for rent in the area. they can also set you up with roomates that way too...

if anyone wants to know more about the area around school, just ask... :)

I've lived about 5 minutes from AZCOM for 24 years (my whole life lol), I just want to live at the apartments across the street because I want to be closer hahaha jk... naw, they are nice... a lil more expensive then others, but oh well. I'll call the school to get a list of people looking for roommates though!

Hey guys, just got the call on Friday too, I'm psyched!

Just out of curiosity, what sold you all on the school? I was really impressed when I went for my interview and felt like I really clicked, to the point where I would love to be there next year, but just trying to get some different feedback. For me, the high board pass rate, nice climate and low cost of living (I'm from Boston), along with the fact that there's going to be a lot of new facilities ready around the time that we get there were all major selling points.

I was slightly concerned with the 3rd and 4th year rotations, as well as the class increase (anyone heard anything final on that yet?). According to the guy who gave our admissions presentation, for the 3rd year rotations we could potentially get sent to some of their out-of-state rotations sites without actually choosing to go there (and apparently some are in alabama according to him). I was more set on trying to stay in the same general area for the first 3 years at least.

Anyway thanks in advance and hope to see you all in August!

so what are people's background here? I have a master's in IT and just spent 12 years in the USAF in Orthopedic Surgery.

so what are people's background here? I have a master's in IT and just spent 12 years in the USAF in Orthopedic Surgery.

I'm just finishing my master's degree in oncology. Been working as a surgical aide for the past 4 years as well.

Graduated from Boston College in 2006, been doing cancer research at Children's Hospital for the past year and a half

So has anyone seen the list of rotation sites that are currently available? I know that with the class increase and the new ATSU opening in Mesa that the sites will change, but still if anyone has an electronic copy of the current sites please send them to me.

thanks!
[email protected]

Actually if anyone out there does have those sites mentioned by SEC, if you could post them here or send them to me also in a PM or something I'd really appreciate it. The lack of certainty surrounding the clinical rotations is really my only concern (although according to the dean who gave an admissions presentation, they currently have space for 305 rotations and growing), else I'd be here in heartbeat.

Hi everyone! I just wanted to introduce myself, and my husband, to everyone. He looks at SDN sometimes but isn't registered. I have an interview scheduled for 2/29 so I can't consider myself the class of 2012 but my husband was accepted last Friday and will definitely be matriculating. We're really excited! We'll be heading down after Christmas to look at places to live and maybe some daycares/preschools. My husband is 39 years old with an MBA degree and is currently finishing his MPH degree with a concentration in epidemiology. I'm 29 and also finishing up the same degree and really really hopeful that I will be accepted!! We have two children, one son who is 2.75 years old and a daughter who is 16 months old. I look forward to meeting all of you in the fall one way or another! :D

graduated UCI 4 years ago and have been working in a cancer clinical lab ever since. single, and no kids. I have all the respect in the world for you peeps who are starting med school and raising kids. INSANE!!

EEL - guess ill see you next fall, im honored to meet such a SDN star.

graduated UCI 4 years ago and have been working in a cancer clinical lab ever since. single, and no kids. I have all the respect in the world for you peeps who are starting med school and raising kids. INSANE!!

EEL - guess ill see you next fall, im honored to meet such a SDN star.

:laugh: I feel bad for you guys. You'll get to see what a dork I really am. :p

Congrats on the interview!!!

Does anyone else on her plan on buying a house? If so, how is the search going?