ATSU-KCOM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
From my understanding, it means you ARE accepted, but they have already offered 172 seats or so to earlier applicants; therefore, when the people whom they have accepted decides yay or nay (they have about 2 weeks to decide), they will then fill accordingly with people they have accepted contingent on seat availability. If all of the people they have offered seats to accept, then you have a promised seat in their 2015 class.

I believe this is different than the waitlist, b/c I'm pretty sure the people on the waitlist are not promised a seat at all.

Does that make sense? Hopefully it helped.

Yes, this is correct. There are people in my class who were accepted off the "Accepted pending a seat list" in July that I know of, maybe even later, and there are also people who didn't technically have a seat until the first day of class because someone decided to not come at the last minute. Keep your chin up!

Members don't see this ad :)
So I have an interview scheduled for Feb. 19th. I am somewhat nervous, as I do not know what to expect. Does anyone have any tips or know of any strange questions they may ask? Thanks!

So I have an interview scheduled for Feb. 19th. I am somewhat nervous, as I do not know what to expect. Does anyone have any tips or know of any strange questions they may ask? Thanks!

I know it sounds cliche, but the interviews are really laid back. You have three, two with faculty members (in my case it was one with a physician in NERMC and one with a professor), and one shorter interview with an admission counselor. They are all low stress, conversational, etc. I really enjoyed my interview day. I don't want to speak for everyone, but I think it's safe to assume you won't be grilled, or thrown any of the crazy 'what type of tree would you be' type questions. Both my interviewers knew my application well, so obviously know your primary and secondary well, but be yourself. KCOM seems to really look for students that 'click' with the school, so let your personality shine through in the interviews. The best way to do this is to not get caught up or be too nervous going into it.

I know it sounds cliche, but the interviews are really laid back. You have three, two with faculty members (in my case it was one with a physician in NERMC and one with a professor), and one shorter interview with an admission counselor. They are all low stress, conversational, etc. I really enjoyed my interview day. I don't want to speak for everyone, but I think it's safe to assume you won't be grilled, or thrown any of the crazy 'what type of tree would you be' type questions. Both my interviewers knew my application well, so obviously know your primary and secondary well, but be yourself. KCOM seems to really look for students that 'click' with the school, so let your personality shine through in the interviews. The best way to do this is to not get caught up or be too nervous going into it.

Thanks for the advice! I am really excited for the interview, but just didn't know the best way to prepare.

Did you happen to interview with Dr. Roof??

Oh ok, just wondering. I interviewed with him, and he was a physician at NERMC. I remember getting a nice little tour of the hospital first thing as I was having to walk over to his office.

Interviewed on 1/15 and got the acceptance call last Thursday morning. I liked the school and the family feel but I am still skeptical about living in such a small town away from most of my family and friends (KC/Lawrence/Wichita area). Can any current students give any more insight as to what life is like as a student in Kirksville? Thanks in advance and good luck to all.

Oh ok, just wondering. I interviewed with him, and he was a physician at NERMC. I remember getting a nice little tour of the hospital first thing as I was having to walk over to his office.

Yeah I got the same thing. It was awesome. One minute I was walking down the hall of the school, and a few turns later, I'm in NERMC! The doc I interviewed with actually interviewed me between surgeries. It was awesome and she was super cool. The kind of doc everyone wants to be, you know.

Interviewed on 1/15 and got the acceptance call last Thursday morning. I liked the school and the family feel but I am still skeptical about living in such a small town away from most of my family and friends (KC/Lawrence/Wichita area). Can any current students give any more insight as to what life is like as a student in Kirksville? Thanks in advance and good luck to all.

I can answer specific Q's you have or I'll attempt to write something up to summarize later when I get back from class later today.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone who interviewed since Jan. 21 recieved an acceptance that is not pending the availability of a seat?:xf:

Last edited:
Well ...

Quite a few people on the board already know, but I mine as well come out with it for those who have asked/are interested/care ...

I'll be attending KCOM.

Class of '14 ... woot, woot!!!

Well ...

Quite a few people on the board already know, but I mine as well come out with it for those who have asked/are interested/care ...

I'll be attending KCOM.

i feel like a total stalker, but i kept wondering where you were planning on going. everyone else, i didn't care nearly as much lol. maybe because you're such a regular around here. ok, slinking away again :ninja:. i'll try to stop being a creeper now :laugh:.

i feel like a total stalker, but i kept wondering where you were planning on going. everyone else, i didn't care nearly as much lol. maybe because you're such a regular around here. ok, slinking away again :ninja:. i'll try to stop being a creeper now :laugh:.

Hahaha, yeah ... that's why I posted it. As vain as it sounds, I probably get 2-3 PMs a week asking ... so I figured this is easier.

Well ...

I'll be attending KCOM.

I knew it!

So I just had my interview last friday and it went pretty well I think. Anyone interview with Dr. Bergman or Dr. Purcell. Both very nice. Anyway, a few posts ago some of you talk about YOUR call to the admissions committee as to whether or not you got in...They didn't tell me anything about calling. After my interview with Donna Sparks in Admin was over she just said the board meets on thursdays and that it could be two weeks before I heard. Any comments? Thanks:thumbup:

So I just had my interview last friday and it went pretty well I think. Anyone interview with Dr. Bergman or Dr. Purcell. Both very nice. Anyway, a few posts ago some of you talk about YOUR call to the admissions committee as to whether or not you got in...They didn't tell me anything about calling. After my interview with Donna Sparks in Admin was over she just said the board meets on thursdays and that it could be two weeks before I heard. Any comments? Thanks:thumbup:

Donna Sparks is awesome. She's helped me tremendously this cycle. Call on Weds or Thurs after two weeks, and they should be able to tell you the decision on the phone. Guess that's all the comments I can give.

Hey all! I've been following the forum for awhile now but have been too shy to reply. Interviewed 1/26 and accepted today pending a seat. I must say all the nice things that I read on here about kcom couldn't be more true. I've never felt so welcomed. Hoping some seats open up soon!

Hey all! I've been following the forum for awhile now but have been too shy to reply. Interviewed 1/26 and accepted today pending a seat. I must say all the nice things that I read on here about kcom couldn't be more true. I've never felt so welcomed. Hoping some seats open up soon!

Good luck!

I felt like KCOM really wanted me when I was there too. It's an amazing feeling to feel a school pining for you and I definitely think they have their crap together.

At worst, if you don't get in this year aren't you automatically accepted next year?

I felt like KCOM really wanted me when I was there too. It's an amazing feeling to feel a school pining for you and I definitely think they have their crap together.

At worst, if you don't get in this year aren't you automatically accepted next year?

They aren't the only ones pining for you ;) ....

Yes, at worst I would have a spot for next year. Apparently that's why the class filled up so fast this cycle - they had about 20 students who were gauranteed a seat leftover from last year's app cycle. The email did say that they expected some seats to open in "upcoming weeks" so I am quite hopeful.

I got the same accepted pending seat availability. I was set on going to KCOM, but will probably be attending DMU. I loved my interview experience at KCOM, but maybe it just wasn't meant to be.

I feel the same way! Since you were set on going to KCOM (at some point during this process), did you ever consider waiting to start with next year's incoming class?

I got the same accepted pending seat availability. I was set on going to KCOM, but will probably be attending DMU. I loved my interview experience at KCOM, but maybe it just wasn't meant to be.

I feel the same way! Since you were set on going to KCOM (at some point during this process), did you ever consider waiting to start with next year's incoming class?

I thought about it yes. But there are no jobs out there right now and I have some undergrad debt that I would have to start payments on if I took a year off. Since my wife and I have kids...it’s not really an option. Especially with the multiple acceptances I have elsewhere.

I will probably wait until the last minute to put money down at other schools though.

Hello everyone, I have not been on in quite a while because of real life. I got a new lady friend, and have been living it up before schools starts. Congrats on all the acceptances (and the long awaited announcement from JP). I am looking forward to seeing all of you in August.

Hello everyone, I have not been on in quite a while because of real life. I got a new lady friend, and have been living it up before schools starts. Congrats on all the acceptances (and the long awaited announcement from JP). I am looking forward to seeing all of you in August.

I thought about you the other day and was hoping you were still heading K-Ville way. Also, the internet has no place for 'real life.' Pff ... real life. :smuggrin:

I haven't posted hardly at all for awhile now. . .life is definitely busy with me too. This quarter just flat out sucks. . .I am sooo ready for summer break and to get to K-ville in August (of course, I'm sure when school starts again this Fall, I'll be wishing it was still summer). I am definitely looking forward to meeting everyone (and figuring out which SDN profile is yours haha). . . how are housing plans coming along? I am making a trip at the end of next month to try to find me a place. Am I the only one looking for my own place? From the looks of the FB page, everyone is looking to get a roomie except me.

I haven't posted hardly at all for awhile now. . .life is definitely busy with me too. This quarter just flat out sucks. . .I am sooo ready for summer break and to get to K-ville in August (of course, I'm sure when school starts again this Fall, I'll be wishing it was still summer). I am definitely looking forward to meeting everyone (and figuring out which SDN profile is yours haha). . . how are housing plans coming along? I am making a trip at the end of next month to try to find me a place. Am I the only one looking for my own place? From the looks of the FB page, everyone is looking to get a roomie except me.

I'm making a trip out there probably early next month ... probably gonna post dates here to see if anyone is out there and wants to hang out, grab a brew, etc (this includes current students as well ... I'm dying to get to know people).

No, you're not alone Superman! I'll be going to K-ville at the end of March as well to look for my own place :) Can't wait to FINALLY live on my own :D

No, you're not alone Superman! I'll be going to K-ville at the end of March as well to look for my own place :) Can't wait to FINALLY live on my own :D

Yay, I have someone in the same boat haha. . .. yeah, after spending the last 6.5 years having roommates, I just want to come to a place to call my own. Hopefully, I will get guests though! :)

Housing is stressing me out. It is a little impractical for me to travel down to K-vegas before I move in, so I am trying to figure out my stuff online and over the phone. Ugg.
On a different note, I am totally pumped for KCOM next year! Very excited to meet everyone in august.

Best of luck to all those waiting for a seat to open up! I've got my fingers crossed for ya!!! :thumbup:

oh whoops i was totally thinking of the wrong list. i'm the potential interview if a spot opens up list. although at this point it's probably not worth holding out hope for, since i'd have to wait for a whole bunch of people to give up their interviews and then spots for me to have a chance. oh well.

I know a few people posted that they were getting a place alone, but any males out there looking for male roommate for 2-4 bedroom place with some roommates??

I received an invite to interview this Monday. Yet, they told me it was only possible to be put on stand by...Why would the school want to interview me if they have no spots, and they have already put alot of students in stand by and/or accepted cont. a seat opens up?

Am I wasting time that I could be in class, as well as money? Are they hoping that I will wait a year and attend then? Just want some more thoughts on this subject.

I received an invite to interview this Monday. Yet, they told me it was only possible to be put on stand by...Why would the school want to interview me if they have no spots, and they have already put alot of students in stand by and/or accepted cont. a seat opens up?

Am I wasting time that I could be in class, as well as money? Are they hoping that I will wait a year and attend then? Just want some more thoughts on this subject.

Don't think the standby list has even moved yet. Go if its your top choice, but if you have other interviews or accepts, then maybe its not a priority. It was a pain to get there and cost me the most $$ out of all my interviews.

from what i understand, they filled the class earlier than expected this year, so they have been putting people on a pending acceptance list since the end of january.

last i asked, they said the big dates to watch out for were march 15 and april... 1st (i think) because this was when another deposit/something was due and when they would be able to tell if more spots are open for the class of 2014. people are they taken off the pending acceptance list as decided by the admissions committee.

if kcom is a top choice for you and you get on that list - there might be hope at some point this year to get off that list? it's a decision you would need to make. maybe call the admissions office and talk to donna sparks about what the deal is? she can probably give you a better idea of what the current situation is.

I'm sorry to say but I just withdrew my seat at ATSU-KCOM. I wish everyone the best and I hope you guys rock the next four years without me. :xf: Here's to someone else getting a great phone call tomorrow with an offer of a seat!:thumbup: