Are W-2 physicians being suckered?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
if elon musk is the savior, then we are all really f$cked

Twitter still lives via ad revenue, and advertisers won't sit idly by while MTG talks about jewish laser beams or DJT tells us how Russia is the best thing since sliced bread.

to those on this board who i am "ignoring" -- maybe click on the provided link to answer your question
Why can't those ppl say whatever they want?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
It seems to be a recurring theme but I'm really glad he posts. I wish more people out there in lurker's land would post as I prefer a variety of viewpoints. I'd much rather read different points of view that challenge me as echo chambers tend to be boring.
While I agree for the most part, I feel like most of these posts are not thoughtful at all. They are not backed up by any kind of critical reasoning, just a sloppy mashup of headlines and Google search results.

Members don't see this ad :)
same reason you can't yell "fire" in a theater. there are, have always been, and should be limits to freedom of speech

Disagree in your assertion about the implications of "laser beam" speech and "Russia is the best ever."

Also just pretty much disagree in general about curtailing free speech in any case you cannot prove an immediate and direct threat resulting from said speech.

The modern Left is interested in silencing people outright. Elon buying Twitter should make every liberal leaning American happy.

Free speech is the foundation of liberal ideology.

Reactions: 4 users
if elon musk is the savior, then we are all really f$cked

Twitter still lives via ad revenue, and advertisers won't sit idly by while MTG talks about jewish laser beams or DJT tells us how Russia is the best thing since sliced bread.

to those on this board who i am "ignoring" -- maybe click on the provided link to answer your question
I have noticed that people get so polarized on a person's stance that they totally villainize everything about them. People seem to love Musk, Trump, Maher, Pence and others until they say something they disagree with and then they hate them. The world is whole lot of gray area. Elon is either right or wrong about being an absolutist based on his words, not bc of who he is. He never was and never will be our savior. Everyone should be trying to save themselves, not waiting to be saved.
same reason you can't yell "fire" in a theater. there are, have always been, and should be limits to freedom of speech

I think the reference was to people saying crazy conspiracies or their personal opinions. In the case of Jewish laser beams, they should be allowed to say it. Can you imagine a medical world where you weren't allowed to state what you thought the best treatment was? Someone could say there was a side effect to the medication and it threatened the health of the patient/public. You wouldn't be allowed to say "this person needs opioids to control their pain" bc it may stop their breathing. You also couldn't say "this person needs to avoid opioids bc it could stop their breathing" bc they may commit suicide since they are in so much pain. Slippery slope except for very, very few situations. Err on the side of free speech as I believe more lives have been ruined by too little free speech rather than too much.

Reactions: 2 users

If you use the analogy that people sitting safely at home are "in a crowded theater", you have ultimate power to infringe on freedom of speech.

There is no authority in America that can protect weak-minded nut jobs from fringe, wacko, conspiracy garbage.

I think it is funny that people on twitter/fb are getting lifetime bans, but the guy with the megaphone downtown is still out there annoying everybody. Shouldn't he be in jail? At least for the safety of the children, no?

Because words can have consequences. For example, if someone repeatedly tweeted/stated that so and so is bad, and all people from that race are evil and they must be stopped and killed. Someone crazy is going to act out upon those statements. This is just one simple example.

Remember you could say Twitter was in part responsible(along with Zuckerberg (and his $400million) for censoring a legitimate news organization reporting on Hunter Biden the month before the election.

E018184D-B855-4919-9DF1-44219B88E364.png

Reactions: 1 users
W-2 employees are suckers. Think about all of the small cash businesses that do not report income. All of the folks with cash side gigs who never report income.

Eliminate cash, mandate plastic for all transactions. Flat tax under 10% would probably raise more income for government than ever before. Side benefit would be to curtail illegal drug trade, gambling, prostitution, etc.

Because words can have consequences. For example, if someone repeatedly tweeted/stated that so and so is bad, and all people from that race are evil and they must be stopped and killed. Someone crazy is going to act out upon those statements. This is just one simple example.
Nope

It has happened. Living in denial that this doesn't happen is honestly sad.
How many Asian looking folks are being targeted and assaulted after someone called it a Chinese virus. If you don't acknowledge this, then there is no point in trying to have a conversation with you.

History shows. Look at what happened to the innocent Jews with Hitler. Words have consequences.

Members don't see this ad :)
How many Asian looking folks are being targeted and assaulted after someone called it a Chinese virus. If you don't acknowledge this, then there is no point in trying to have a conversation with you.

History shows. Look at what happened to the innocent Jews with Hitler. Words have consequences.
I think your example is more an illustration of why the government shouldn't have too much power and why people should be allowed to speak out against it without fear.

Reactions: 5 users
And I believe that the person who assaulted Asians bc someone called it a Chinese virus was going to assault someone anyway. If you don't acknowledge this, then there is no point in trying to have a conversation with you.

Reactions: 3 users

And I believe that the person who assaulted Asians bc someone called it a Chinese virus was going to assault someone anyway. If you don't acknowledge this, then there is no point in trying to have a conversation with you.
Don't disagree with your point. Perhaps my example was flawed but ssdoc33 point holds true

Don't disagree with your point. Perhaps my example was flawed but ssdoc33 point holds true
it's not ssdoc's point....it's been said all day on MSNBC and CNN as an argument against Elon Musk owning Twitter. These same people have no problem with Jeff Bezos owning the Washington Post. And what really matters is who yells fire in a movie theater.....because twitter was only censoring conservatives, and not any other terrorist organizations or even Putin.

It's not misinformation to call it a Chinese virus. Even the "fire in a crowded theater" doesn't hold up if there's actually a fire.

If you're advocating government suppression of accurate information to keep the people in line, that's not what we do here.

i agree with everyone's point about shadow banning and suppression of only certain individuals speech. Argument for that is that its a private company so they can do what they want. Is that right? Don't know. What i do know is that I myself have been silenced and shadow banned on insta/facebook/twitter if I say anything against injustices/talking points that fit the narrative of whoever is in control of the media/online platform etc. So, I understand what's happening.

I'm not a liberal. I'm not a conservative. I'm just a guy who wants everyone to respect one another, and despite having different viewpoints/arguments, be able to get along and not cause division.

i agree with everyone's point about shadow banning and suppression of only certain individuals speech. Argument for that is that its a private company so they can do what they want. Is that right? Don't know. What i do know is that I myself have been silenced and shadow banned on insta/facebook/twitter if I say anything against injustices/talking points that fit the narrative of whoever is in control of the media/online platform etc. So, I understand what's happening.

I'm not a liberal. I'm not a conservative. I'm just a guy who wants everyone to respect one another, and despite having different viewpoints/arguments, be able to get along and not cause division.

then you should not go on to twitter. it is a cesspool right now --- can't imagine it'll get better

Last edited:
I can't imagine using any form of social media beyond the age of 22. If I wanted to melt my brain, I would just watch Real Housewives of Orange County with my wife instead. Essentially the same content and we have ad-free Hulu.

I can't imagine using any form of social media beyond the age of 22. If I wanted to melt my brain, I would just watch Real Housewives of Orange County with my wife instead. Essentially the same content and we have ad-free Hulu.
Now that's another issue. "ad-free". Still has ads. All these streaming services now and were about to come full circle back to cable

Not going to reply to Hitler and Jews bc that proves my point. Thanks.

"Fire" in a crowded theater =/= Expressing dissenting political opinions, mentioning the Lab Leak or Hunter Biden laptop story. It is not akin in any way to Milo trolling or Alex Jones claiming Sandy Hook didn't happen.

You do have the right to be an A-Hole in this country.

Reactions: 2 users
Tesla is down 125 B on news of the Twitter deal as of my posting this, truly we live in interesting times!

"Fire" in a crowded theater =/= Expressing dissenting political opinions, mentioning the Lab Leak or Hunter Biden laptop story. It is not akin in any way to Milo trolling or Alex Jones claiming Sandy Hook didn't happen.

That is basically what it boils down to. Whenever somebody is being a complete d@ck, they can always hide behind "Its a free country. Its my first amendment rights".

Lovely.

Not me. I personally prefer ruckus. The world would be too dull and grey for me without raw commotion. Keeps you on your toes, lol.

That is basically what it boils down to. Whenever somebody is being a complete d@ck, they can always hide behind "Its a free country. Its my first amendment rights".

Lovely.
Bedrock of Western liberal democracy is free speech.

because there are many outright lying and deceiving people, and people seaching on social media are too, well, ignorant to find out the truth. they find comfort in someone who is spewing these lies because it fits in to their world view, even if that view is wrong.

Bedrock of Western liberal democracy is free speech.

Free speech does not include blatant lies and misinformation or hate speech.
It's not misinformation to call it a Chinese virus. Even the "fire in a crowded theater" doesn't hold up if there's actually a fire.

If you're advocating government suppression of accurate information to keep the people in line, that's not what we do here.
no, thats racist. the virus is not chinese. where it was first found has no foundational relationship to the people in that region.

and using these terms causes harm to those people who are thought to be from that region.
thats not true.

these sick individuals normally suppress violent tendencies and do not act, until they are given what they feel is carte blanche to act - based on what they see on social media, their perception that there is approval by society to perform violent acts.

if what you stated were true, then the rates of hate crimes of asians would have remained the same even after misinformation spreaders started railing about COVID and blaming it on asians. but we saw a 339% increase in hate crimes against asians in 2021, after a 75% increase in 2020.

because there are many outright lying and deceiving people, and people seaching on social media are too, well, ignorant to find out the truth. they find comfort in someone who is spewing these lies because it fits in to their world view, even if that view is wrong.

no, thats racist. the virus is not chinese. where it was first found has no foundational relationship to the people in that region.

and using these terms causes harm to those people who are thought to be from that region.

thats not true.

these sick individuals normally suppress violent tendencies and do not act, until they are given what they feel is carte blanche to act - based on what they see on social media, their perception that there is approval by society to perform violent acts.

if what you stated were true, then the rates of hate crimes of asians would have remained the same even after misinformation spreaders started railing about COVID and blaming it on asians. but we saw a 339% increase in hate crimes against asians in 2021, after a 75% increase in 2020.
Your views cause me considerable pain and I feel violated by your rhetoric. #safespace

to clarify, i am not talking about dissenting political opinions. dissenting political opinions care necessary for a functioning republic. i am all for - and follow - Kinsinger and Romney and Cheney on twitter.

i am not talking about the Biden laptop, though trump should really look at the mote in his eye when discussing, considering how much he has "given" to his kids.

there is political discourse, and then there is "nancy pelosi is a traitor" and liking a post about putting a bullet in her head, "id like to punch him in the face", implying that a fellow US congresswoman has a bomb in her backpack because she is Muslim, saying that fellow Congresspeople are not real because they didnt swear on a bible, "kung flu", Joe Rogans multiple racist slurs.

and im talking about bleach injected in to the body to fight covid, vitamins to prevent and cure covid, vaccine lies including snake oil in them or magnetizing the body or infertility or that the mRNA vaccine causes COVID or microchips are implanted through the vaccine or mRNA vaccines alter DNA or how they contain aborted fetal parts or they made someones testicles swell up in Brazil.....

all the while these false prophets are claiming that their products - vitamins, supplements, salves, that they sell and are raking in millions of dollars off of - are the prevention or the cure for covid. even propping up ivermectin, hydroxychloroquine after studies have really shown that they do not cure covid.

just to repeat, it's totally fine for liberals to yell fire at a movie theater, but nobody else can

• Dislike
to clarify, i am not talking about dissenting political opinions. dissenting political opinions care necessary for a functioning republic. i am all for - and follow - Kinsinger and Romney and Cheney on twitter.

i am not talking about the Biden laptop, though trump should really look at the mote in his eye when discussing, considering how much he has "given" to his kids.

there is political discourse, and then there is "nancy pelosi is a traitor" and liking a post about putting a bullet in her head, "id like to punch him in the face", implying that a fellow US congresswoman has a bomb in her backpack because she is Muslim, saying that fellow Congresspeople are not real because they didnt swear on a bible, "kung flu", Joe Rogans multiple racist slurs.

and im talking about bleach injected in to the body to fight covid, vitamins to prevent and cure covid, vaccine lies including snake oil in them or magnetizing the body or infertility or that the mRNA vaccine causes COVID or microchips are implanted through the vaccine or mRNA vaccines alter DNA or how they contain aborted fetal parts or they made someones testicles swell up in Brazil.....

all the while these false prophets are claiming that their products - vitamins, supplements, salves, that they sell and are raking in millions of dollars off of - are the prevention or the cure for covid. even propping up ivermectin, hydroxychloroquine after studies have really shown that they do not cure covid.
your analogies are factually inaccurate. Hunter Biden doesnt belong in the same zip code as the Trump children, who all work extremely hard, just like their father, and arent addicted to cocaine and hookers and sex, or sleep with their siblings spouse.

Please stop repeating the injecting bleach false story. If anybody said it, it was the media who propagated that mischaracterization. You are smarter than that.

Last edited:

We do have a term for that, and it is illegal and not protected free speech: Fraud. It’s the people selling it that are the criminals, the ones buying it are victims, until they go out and commit a crime based on the violent rhetoric.

So only facts count as free speech. Your last two posts are factually inaccurate. You should be silenced.

FYI - I will argue in support of your free speech when the Right seizes power and starts silencing its opposition.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
because there are many outright lying and deceiving people, and people searching on social media are too, well, ignorant to find out the truth. they find comfort in someone who is spewing these lies because it fits in to their world view, even if that view is wrong.
This is true no matter where or when you go in the world. How do you stop this everywhere and who gets to decide what ideas are allowed?
Actually free speech does include this. For example, "I am in better shape and better looking than everyone else. Everyone else is unattractive." I should be allowed to say this regardless of it being a lie, misinformation and hateful. You are just blatantly wrong.

Bobwin's Law- the longer an internet conversation goes the more likely that someone will call invoke racism, thereby winning the argument. No further discussion can be made by the one who was accused of the racist act. Long live censorship!

I do agree that some people may attribute some negative connotation to the term chinese virus, but honest to goodness it doesn't in my mind. Chinese culture, chinese cuisine, chinese vases, etc. None of it is negative in my mind unless there is some reason for it to be negative. People will believe that it was produced in a chinese lab or not regardless of calling it the chinese virus. That is where the negativity comes from.
thats not true.

That is true. I said I believe, which is definitely true, but common sense tells you this anyway. You lied and spread misdisfalseinformation and should be banned from the internet and placed on house arrest by the government. See how that works? Who gets to control what is lies, misinformation, hate speech? You would like it if you agree with that person but would be irate if you disagreed. That is why you err on the side of allowing free speech.

I can assure you that the person attacking asians had attacked someone else in the past. You actually try to place the blame on someone else rather than the person that committed the act. Weird rationalization bordering on psychosis.

(Obvious sarcasm and tongue in cheek comments littered above.) Hopefully you can see the danger in your views and controlling what others say. I agree that some things shouldn't be done, but we don't live in a fairy tale world and never will. You will have to suffer through some rude and boorish behavior throughout life.

I agree on much of the above. Both sides have hypocrisy. Just call it out both sides when you see it.

And don't support having thin skin. I try to prepare my kids for when mean things are said (empowerment). I wouldn't advise trying to police the world so nothing bad ever gets said to them....ain't gonna happen

There has always been snake oil salesman and always will be. I don't see anyone advocating for it. Having options is good and let the free market decide.

are there limits to freedom of speech? if so, where do YOU draw that line?
As I said earlier, any speech directly resulting in harm, which is clearly what happens if you're in a crowded theater and begin screaming there is a fire. There's no wiggle room in that scenario. No ability to interpret that in any other way.

Discussing the Lab Leak Theory is not in any way similar. Silencing a news outlet for releasing the HB story is not in any way similar. Alex Jones claiming Sandy Hook didn't happen is not in any way similar.

People going online and discussing medications used billions of times without any significant risk profile (HCQ + Ivermectin) is not in any way similar to a crowded theater erupting in chaos.

No one was recommending anything to treat COVID other than staying home until you're SOB, then you go to the hospital after it is too late.

If there is any way HCQ or Ivermectin can HELP, why not discuss it?

The Left silenced monoclonal antibodies for God's sake. My own GD PCP refused to give me MAb after I tested positive for COVID.

Edit - I hit post by accident. I'm not done with this reply, but I also know it doesn't really matter what I say so I'm not too concerned with finishing my thought.

As I said earlier, any speech directly resulting in harm, which is clearly what happens if you're in a crowded theater and begin screaming there is a fire. There's no wiggle room in that scenario. No ability to interpret that in any other way.

Discussing the Lab Leak Theory is not in any way similar. Silencing a news outlet for releasing the HB story is not in any way similar. Alex Jones claiming Sandy Hook didn't happen is not in any way similar.

People going online and discussing medications used billions of times without any significant risk profile (HCQ + Ivermectin) is not in any way similar to a crowded theater erupting in chaos.

No one was recommending anything to treat COVID other than staying home until you're SOB, then you go to the hospital after it is too late.

The Left silenced monoclonal antibodies for God's sake. My own GD PCP refused to give me MAb after I tested positive for COVID.

Edit - I hit post by accident. I'm not done with this reply, but I also know it doesn't really matter what I say so I'm not too concerned with finishing my thought.
Exactly!

essentially every example you gave did in fact result in direct harm.

this really boils down to which tribe you happen to agree with -- which is sad. the actual truth, the ACTUAL FACTS, should have more power in this discussion than a fraudster, a liar, or conspiracy theorist

FYI: musk has tried to silence his critics and rivals. he has posted garbage conspiracy theories. trump does it on a nearly daily basis, esp with journalists.

and just so we are on the record, you are actually defending Alex Jones' right to say that Sandy Hook never happened. Scarlet Lewis' six year old son Jesse was actually not shot and killed by adam lanza. the courts disagree with you on this point, BTW. the only reason that Alex Jones ran with this BS is b/c he gets paid to do so. paid to lie and cause grief and misery on the internet. yet thats ok, evidently.

of course there is a slippery slope here. elon musk is not the answer. a bipartisan group, panel, whatever representing the values of our society is. that is "supposed" to be our government

We do have a term for that, and it is illegal and not protected free speech: Fraud. It’s the people selling it that are the criminals, the ones buying it are victims, until they go out and commit a crime based on the violent rhetoric.
yes, but why are these suddenly free speech advocates not criticizing their "leaders" for fraud and fraudulent statements on social media? iinstead, fake news is retweeted
This is true no matter where or when you go in the world. How do you stop this everywhere and who gets to decide what ideas are allowed?
Actually free speech does include this. For example, "I am in better shape and better looking than everyone else. Everyone else is unattractive." I should be allowed to say this regardless of it being a lie, misinformation and hateful. You are just blatantly wrong.
that statement is subjective. subjective statements should not censored. a vastly different statement than stating that there is snake venom in vaccines, or that vaccines are more likely to cause myocarditis than the infection.
I do agree that some people may attribute some negative connotation to the term chinese virus, but honest to goodness it doesn't in my mind. Chinese culture, chinese cuisine, chinese vases, etc. None of it is negative in my mind unless there is some reason for it to be negative. People will believe that it was produced in a chinese lab or not regardless of calling it the chinese virus. That is where the negativity comes from.
thankfully you do not associate the phrase "chinese" in a negative connotation. but that is your singular perspective. the 300 percent increase in asian hate crimes - which may be the tip of the iceberg in terms of such feelings - belies that this perspective is not static. clearly, something has changed - in a lot more than 1 person.

You lied and spread misdisfalseinformation and should be banned from the internet and placed on house arrest by the government. See how that works? Who gets to control what is lies, misinformation, hate speech? You would like it if you agree with that person but would be irate if you disagreed. That is why you err on the side of allowing free speech.
each social platform should have a way of monitoring and discussing with those who spread misinformation. those authors should have the opportunity to back up their statements with facts, and they should be given the opportunity to modify their positiion, or the option of clearly posting that they are expressing an opinion with no factual basis. there should be no retweeting or forwarding or reposting until such a process is complete.
I can assure you that the person attacking asians had attacked someone else in the past. You actually try to place the blame on someone else rather than the person that committed the act. Weird rationalization bordering on psychosis.
this is a common tactic to deflect racism. its not the fact that the hatred exists - you are saying that it only exists in that 1 person!
however... without what these individuals feel is implicit approval by some KOL for racist actions, that individual would not have acted.

it is a diversionary tactic to deflect blame for statements that prompt others to their inappropriate actions.

and just so we are on the record, you are actually defending Alex Jones' right to say that Sandy Hook never happened. Scarlet Lewis' six year old son Jesse was actually not shot and killed by adam lanza.
Yes. I am defending his ability to say those terrible things.