Best and worst insurance companies for pain physicians

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lmsanscafe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a pain doc, what are your 3 favorite and 3 least favorite payors? (Cover pretty much everything and/or reimburse well)

Members don't see this ad.

For me the Medicare advantage supplements are the worst as well as state medicaid they don’t pay for anything and waste everyone’s time.. but because we are a community hospital I have to see them.. over and over and over and can never get anything approved for them.. the best seems to be united.

My favorite is traditional Medicare, my 2nd favorite is state Medicaid, third favorite is federal work comp. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Favorite is auto and no-auth BCBS. I also appreciate straight Medicare for having clear rules. Absolute worst is Medicaid and the advantage plans.

It's not even about the payments, it's about the roadblocks.

I wouldn't call any my favorite, more most tolerable to least. Aetna probably the least, based on PA denials. Rates are going to vary. Contract negotiation is an infuriating experience.

I wouldn't call any my favorite, more most tolerable to least. Aetna probably the least, based on PA denials. Rates are going to vary. Contract negotiation is an infuriating experience.
Aetna is the least tolerable for me as they deny basically everything. Triwest after that due to timing of them approving procedures, followed by BCBS.

My favorite is traditional Medicare, my 2nd favorite is state Medicaid, third favorite is federal work comp. 😂

Federal BCBS. Follows primary Medicare but reimburses better.

Reactions: 4 users
Y'all need to keep your Medicare love in the private forum before they see it and think it's ok to cut rates some more

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Federal BCBS. Follows primary Medicare but reimburses better.

Until you find out that "no auth required" means "no reimbursement required" 3 months post facto

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 7 users
"Least worst "straight medicare, BCBS federal, and actually around my parts medicaid indian health service (pay isn't good but they don't deny much).

Worst: humana, carefirst (a version of medicaid in my state, deny everything), and california work comp.