Applying for 2012!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Okay so I take back that comment about not being tired of secondaries....my goodness. I just spent two hours at Starbucks trying to figure out how Rush wanted me to describe leadership abilities with an example and 1000 characters, including spaces, in a relatively intelligible language! This is crazy!!! I too am aiming to be complete at all my schools shortly after Labor Day--I guess this means no BBQ:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I've got 4/5 of my LORs ... so now I can be complete at some of the schools that I applied to.... YAY! :D

Lol, you should go ahead and applied to all the schools u applied to with your 4 LORs. For alot of schools, 3 is quite enough. As long as you have 2 science prof LORs, and 1 non-science prof LOR, u should be straight. Don't delay your app if that last LOR isn't all that important. But you truly are on track right now. you just need to return those secondaries in light speed to beat the fall app rush.

Members don't see this ad :)
Drowning in secondaries here :scared:. I guess I know what I'll be doing all labor day weekend :D.
:laugh: I warned you this would happen! ;) Do the easiest ones first so you can get them out quickly. The other good thing is that after a while, you can start tweaking and reusing some of your essays. Just make sure you change the names of the schools. :p

:laugh: I warned you this would happen! ;) Do the easiest ones first so you can get them out quickly. The other good thing is that after a while, you can start tweaking and reusing some of your essays. Just make sure you change the names of the schools. :p

Haha, right you were :D. I guess this is a great problem to have, so I have no real reason to complain. I definitely heeded your advice this time and completed all of the easier ones first. I am trying to chip away at the longer ones currently. Almost half way done! :)

Hey people! I am applying for the class of 2012...I am really nervous, esp. since I wont be complete at my schools until mcat is released (sept 19th). But everything else is on track. :) Pray for me! And good luck to everyone!

(actually, I dont believe in luck...it just sounds good to say) By the way, why does the URM forum look like its shutdown from the forum page?

Hey bellacnella! Its definitely not shut down. The link that you see under the Pre-Allopathic section is actually like a shortcut for the forum which is really located underted the Topics in Healthcare section. That is why you don't see any information in the Pre-Allo section about # of posts, etc.

Hey bellacnella! Its definitely not shut down. The link that you see under the Pre-Allopathic section is actually like a shortcut for the forum which is really located underted the Topics in Healthcare section. That is why you don't see any information in the Pre-Allo section about # of posts, etc.
Oh ok, I have been curious about that for a while now. Thanks DoctaJay.

Anyways, quick rant session! :mad: I was all worried about my stuff being completed "late" at the schools I'm applying to because of my august mcat scores (to be released on the 19th). But the way things are going, thats the least of my troubles. I asked one of my professors from the bio dept. to write me a recommendation in MAY! She has been very hard to contact since then, and has been telling me that she sent her stuff out since last month. So far, not one of the 11 schools I am applying to has recieved a letter from her. WTF! And then when I asked her to forward one to virtualevals, she acted like she wanted to send all of the indivdual letters herself. But she finally agreed to do it and that was weeks ago. Still not sign of a letter. My other three letter writers sent theirs in a looong time ago and all the schools plus interfolio have had them for a long time.

So now I am stuck asking for another science rec. from the core lab professor. She knows me pretty well but I feel bad about asking her so last minute. Hopefully she will write it for me though. I am really worried... Is it ok to stalk a professor? Because I feel like there is a reason she is trying to sabotage me and her letter would be worthless anyways...+pissed+

I am so excited right now! :hardy::hardy::confused::D My first interview is scheduled for the 8th of October at UIC. I am so amazed at God's goodness and faithfulness. Anyone got any good interview tips/suggestions for me?

I am so excited right now! :hardy::hardy::confused::D My first interview is scheduled for the 8th of October at UIC. I am so amazed at God's goodness and faithfulness. Anyone got any good interview tips/suggestions for me?

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
see this makes all of those secondaries not seem so bad!!! I don't know any interview tips because mine start next week... I ordered a book off of amazon (the one on the front page of the SDN website)...but everyone keeps telling me to just be sincere!!!! and research the school as much as you can!! I hope you get many more!!!

Congrats!!! I remember my first interview invite...I felt like I had just been accepted into medical school,lol. Just be genuine and your interview should go great!

Congrats on your interview invite! I still am waiting for invites, but I received an acceptance from MSUCOM this morning in my email!!! So one way or another, I WILL be in med school next summer/fall!!!! Good luck to all of you!

Congrats on your interview invite! I still am waiting for invites, but I received an acceptance from MSUCOM this morning in my email!!! So one way or another, I WILL be in med school next summer/fall!!!! Good luck to all of you!

WOW!!!! Congratulations to you! I know you must feel absolutely excited! I wish you the best with all of the rest of your apps/invites. I noticed on your mdapps page that you applied to UIC, too. Might see you along the way (interview, class;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats!!! I remember my first interview invite...I felt like I had just been accepted into medical school,lol. Just be genuine and your interview should go great!

Thanks, bruh! I am just sitting on cloud nine. I really want this to go well. I was praying to have at least one interview by November and as my grandma would say, "look at God!" This is a breath of fresh air. How's school going? Getting ready for exams?

Just got my last letter of rec today :). Time to become complete at schools :D. Yay for interfolio!

As I approach my last secondary, I am starting to take it easy. (My last secondary is for a school that I already have an interview at, and I don't think I am going to submit one other secondary). However, I have been CHRONICALLY attached to my inbox! Gmail - Inbox (1) almost gives me a panic attack! :laugh:

Oh man... it's gonna be a loooong 7 months...

EDIT: 3 interviews so far, so I'm happy... but my first one is in exactly 2 weeks!!

As I approach my last secondary, I am starting to take it easy. (My last secondary is for a school that I already have an interview at, and I don't think I am going to submit one other secondary). However, I have been CHRONICALLY attached to my inbox! Gmail - Inbox (1) almost gives me a panic attack! :laugh:

EDIT: 3 interviews so far, so I'm happy... but my first one is in exactly 2 weeks!!

CONGRATS!!!
hahahaha i still have like 6 secs to go (19 completed):), but I don't think I can do another one...but maybe I should... I dunno... I have 8 interviews 5MD/3 DO and I think I should save money...what do you guys think? I don't ever want to become over confident and kick my self later...

iI understand about this being a looong 7 months... I can't leave my house until 5 pm:) and on the days I have to go to work I check it constantly... it's like "nurse I am having chest pain".... and I say "well take a deep breath and wait one minute I have to check my email" :)

Mel:)
joking by the way:) (in case my boss reads this):laugh::laugh::laugh:

Congrats LovelyMD! I had the same problem with my GMAIL account,t hey the way I calmed my fears was that I created a seperate GMAIL account for medical school stuff so when I saw a new message in that inbox, I new it was something good and not just a stupid forward from my friends. It'll be a fun, prayerful, anxious, and happy 7 months. Enjoy it!

Congrats on all of the interviews, everyone! If you guys haven't found it yet, there's a very nice interview feedback feature on SDN that you should check out. Just pick the school where your interview is, and you will see what previous interviewees experienced and some of the questions they got asked. This part of SDN was a huge help for me a couple of years ago when I was interviewing; I often had already had a chance to think about every single question the interviewers asked me, even the oddball ones. :luck: to everyone. :)

In case some of yall didn't know, Howard has started sending interview invites. I sent in my secondary last week and they sent me an invite yesterday so they seem to be moving pretty quickly.

Hi all,

I just submitted, but thanks to the wonders of the internet this week and next will be all about answering the questions for the secondaries posted on SDN.

Question, can you submit a secondary when you're not verified and haven't been asked explicitly to submit one?

Glad to hear about everyone's interviews, I hope to join you all in the near future!

In case some of yall didn't know, Howard has started sending interview invites. I sent in my secondary last week and they sent me an invite yesterday so they seem to be moving pretty quickly.
Does anyone have any advice on where to stay when interviewing at howard?? I'm looking for a hotel that's close and CHEAP because I'm broke but i couldn't find anything about a student hosting program, and my interview is next week already!

I got my first interview invite this afternoon :)! Let's hope this is a good indicator of what the future may bring :D!

I got my first interview invite this afternoon :)! Let's hope this is a good indicator of what the future may bring :D!

That's great! when I got my first one, I felt like I just got into med school... then I had to tell myself not to count my chickens before they hatch... lol

I'm starting to stress out about interviews now (mostly about preparing for possible healthcare questions)... my first one is this Friday, and I think I may have booked them a little too tightly. I have one this Friday, and then next Tuesday and Wednesday... Oh boy, I'm going to be so tired of talking about myself by the end of September. :laugh: I do have 6 total, and I'm in shock because it's only the middle of September... I was just hoping to have ONE by September!

I hope everyone else is doing well, and I look forward to meeting some of you on the interview trail.

Thanks for the kind words everyone :), I'll keep you all updated about what's going on.

And congrats on all theinterviews so far Lovely! That's awesome; I hope you don't mind me pm'ing you for interview tips since you will soon be the master haha. Goodluck!

Thanks for the kind words everyone :), I'll keep you all updated about what's going on.

And congrats on all theinterviews so far Lovely! That's awesome; I hope you don't mind me pm'ing you for interview tips since you will soon be the master haha. Goodluck!

Haha, sure, that's fine with me... though I'll probably have better tips after 9/26. By then, I will have interviewed at 3 schools... hopefully they go well and I'll have something useful to tell you! lol

Does anyone have any advice on where to stay when interviewing at howard?? I'm looking for a hotel that's close and CHEAP because I'm broke but i couldn't find anything about a student hosting program, and my interview is next week already!

I'd love to hear if you found a good place to saty--I have an interview in a few weeks at Howard and any advice on cheap places to stay would be so helpful. Thanks!

I'd love to hear if you found a good place to saty--I have an interview in a few weeks at Howard and any advice on cheap places to stay would be so helpful. Thanks!

Me, too. I just got the invite today (was wondering why they wouldn't show me any love?!?!?!) and realized that they really are ambitious giving us less than a month for arrangements. I would even be open to splitting lodging costs if there is someone that is interviewing ont he 10th. PM me and let me know.

I stayed at the President's inn, i woudln't call it good...i got stuck in a smoking room because they gave away my reservation, the wallpaper was peeling off, there were a couple of holes in the wall in my room...but it was cheap. The only reason i had such a problem was that there was a 50,000 person convention in the area...if you look now all the best western/red roof inn type places should have openings. Although my arrangements weren't optimal, it was a place to stay and i was fine. The Howard day was great, and it is a really comfortable place to be, hopefully you will enjoy it as much as i did.

I stayed at the President's inn, i woudln't call it good...i got stuck in a smoking room because they gave away my reservation, the wallpaper was peeling off, there were a couple of holes in the wall in my room...but it was cheap. The only reason i had such a problem was that there was a 50,000 person convention in the area...if you look now all the best western/red roof inn type places should have openings. Although my arrangements weren't optimal, it was a place to stay and i was fine. The Howard day was great, and it is a really comfortable place to be, hopefully you will enjoy it as much as i did.

Is GW near Howard at all? I just realized that my GW interview is actually on Howard Homecoming weekend, so I'm going to go through hell trying to find a place to stay, let alone a cheap place to stay.

But I can't even think about that interview yet, because I have my first one tomorrow and I'm actually INCREDIBLY nervous!!! Hopefully having dinner with the current students tonight will calm me down some.

Not a big poster on SDN but I had to throw my congrats out to everyone getting those interviews! I have four so far myself and 9 more secondaries to complete (applied to 30 schools)!

Congrats again!

I'm pretty late joining the thread I guess but I just got my scores back yesterday. 32Q! I'm pretty happy with it, and I hope its good enough for me to join you all in med school next fall!

I'm pretty late joining the thread I guess but I just got my scores back yesterday. 32Q! I'm pretty happy with it, and I hope its good enough for me to join you all in med school next fall!
Nice job! :thumbup: That's an excellent score, and provided that the rest of your app is also competitive (GPA, ECs, etc.), I see no reason why you won't be. :)

hiya... fisrt I just wanted to say congratulations and good luck to everyone as we start flying/driving/walking all over the country... I am exhausted!! but this is amazingly exciting!!! God is truly amazing!!!

next i just wanted to say that i was accepted into UNECOM (DO)...YAAAAAAY!!!!!:laugh:, it will make my other interviews hopefully just a tad less stressful knowing that no matter what I will be in medschool next year...

ummm I have completed 3 interviews soo far... with...10 more scheduled...
4 DO schools 9 MD schools...:eek:

I am absolutely in disbelief about the response I am getting... I looove SDN there is soo much support and advice on here!!!:love::love:

okay i have to get ready for work now!!

hiya... fisrt I just wanted to say congratulations and good luck to everyone as we start flying/driving/walking all over the country... I am exhausted!! but this is amazingly exciting!!! God is truly amazing!!!

next i just wanted to say that i was accepted into UNECOM (DO)...YAAAAAAY!!!!!:laugh:, it will make my other interviews hopefully just a tad less stressful knowing that no matter what I will be in medschool next year...

I am absolutely in disbelief about the response I am getting... I looove SDN there is soo much support and advice on here!!!:love::love:

CONGRATULATIONS!!! You must be so relieved right now! 13 interviews, that is amazing! I just had my first interview on Friday and it went very well from my standpoint (what the interviewers thought of me could be a completely different story). So I am crossing my fingers and hoping to be able to relax after October 15th.

congrats!!! you are going to have a stellar year!

CONGRATULATIONS!!! You must be so relieved right now! 13 interviews, that is amazing! I just had my first interview on Friday and it went very well from my standpoint (what the interviewers thought of me could be a completely different story). So I am crossing my fingers and hoping to be able to relax after October 15th.

hiya Lovely!!!

Congrats to you too!!:luck::luck::luck: I am sure you did wonderfully...!!! its obvious to everyone here how intelligent and ariticulate you must be!!! you are racking up the interviews as well... I never had a doubt!!! isn't this exciting???
I know I went from taking this as a year long process to crossing my fingers for 10/15!!!!! how amazing would that be???:love:...but I know we will end up where we are supposed to be... I think I need to remember to be patient... but this is truly amazing!!!

Good luck on all of your interviews!!!!

congrats!!! you are going to have a stellar year!

Thanks!!! and OMGoodness Congrats to you too!!!! I think my eyes start to hurt when I read your invite list!!!!!:luck::luck::luck:! there are just sooo many of them!!:) I am impressed..."they" said to apply early and broadly and we did!! YAAAAAAY...you have some truly spectacular interview invites there!!! you are also going to do wonderfully this cycle!!! Good luck!!

on a sad note... my poor bank account!!!:( I think I need to write an obituary for it!! its dead..gone...bye bye...I am not really complaining...its a wonderful thing to spend (dare I say it??) thousands of dollars on!!! but I see some over time shifts (after interview season) in the future:):laugh:

okay I am packing and preparing for my Upstate interview on wednesday

nightie night

I've been keeping tabs on everyone's MDApps and you guys are doing extremely well this application cycle. Congratulations on a job well done! I am starting to receive a fair amount of interviews myself - this is starting to get extremely expensive, no :laugh:? Here's to an acceptance on (or near) Oct 15th! :thumbup:

I've been keeping tabs on everyone's MDApps and you guys are doing extremely well this application cycle. Congratulations on a job well done! I am starting to receive a fair amount of interviews myself - this is starting to get extremely expensive, no :laugh:? Here's to an acceptance on (or near) Oct 15th! :thumbup:

Oh, if I'm getting a million interviews, you're DEFINITELY going to get a million+ ...hahaha! If you're interviewing after me at any of the places I have interviews at, feel free to PM me and ask about it... (this doesn't just go for RandomBlackManX, this goes for anyone interested).

hiya

Should I really send thank you notes to all of my interviewers??? and how long after the interview do I send them? and what if don't know their names...do I send none at all?? or do I simply address it to the admissions office?? or do I call to find out?? but it has to look bad if I forgot their names...

Its advised that you do send to all of your interviewers. I know I started to get lazy at the end of my interview cycle with the thank you cards, but its a good thing to do. As soon as you finish your interview, you ask your interviewer for their card. Their card should have their mailing address. Sometimes its advised that you send an e-mail immediately, and then follow up with the thank-you card. I just sent the thank you card.

Oh, if I'm getting a million interviews, you're DEFINITELY going to get a million+ ...hahaha! If you're interviewing after me at any of the places I have interviews at, feel free to PM me and ask about it... (this doesn't just go for RandomBlackManX, this goes for anyone interested).
You guys are both going to clean up, and well deserved. Keep us posted and lots of :luck: to everyone applying. :)

hiya

Should I really send thank you notes to all of my interviewers??? and how long after the interview do I send them? and what if don't know their names...do I send none at all?? or do I simply address it to the admissions office?? or do I call to find out?? but it has to look bad if I forgot their names...

I agree with DoctaJay. What I have been doing is sending the thank you notes to the interviewer, care of the admissions office. I'm sure the interviewers are in and out of the office frequently during the cycle so I figure in absence of a direct address or office number, this is the best way to get the note to them. So for example:

Dr. Whoever, Faculty Interviewer
c/o Office of Admissions
so on and so forth

I agree with DoctaJay. What I have been doing is sending the thank you notes to the interviewer, care of the admissions office. I'm sure the interviewers are in and out of the office frequently during the cycle so I figure in absence of a direct address or office number, this is the best way to get the note to them. So for example:

Dr. Whoever, Faculty Interviewer
c/o Office of Admissions
so on and so forth

Thanks for the advice!!! I will start doing it now... and I will send it to the two Md schools I have had so far!!!...

On a bright note... I have another DO acceptance!!:) it's to WVSOM...it's exciting to know that (god willing of course) I will be in med school next year...it's boasting my interview confidence...:laugh::laugh: oooh come on october 15...then I can start to check my mail box incessantly as well:) (poor mailman:))
so far...17 interviews...7 DO/ 10 MD/2 acceptances/1 rejection (well continue to hold :))

i am off to Morehouse and Wakeforest this weekend...
I wonder if people care about my ranting :laugh:...I think I post here because my family and friends who aren't applying are getting tired of me chatting about med school:)

good luck everyone!!!!

Thanks for the advice!!! I will start doing it now... and I will send it to the two Md schools I have had so far!!!...

On a bright note... I have another DO acceptance!!:) it's to WVSOM...it's exciting to know that (god willing of course) I will be in med school next year...it's boasting my interview confidence...:laugh::laugh: oooh come on october 15...then I can start to check my mail box incessantly as well:) (poor mailman:))
so far...17 interviews...7 DO/ 10 MD/2 acceptances/1 rejection (well continue to hold :))

I wonder if people care about my ranting :laugh:...I think I post here because my family and friends who aren't applying are getting tired of me chatting about med school:)

good luck everyone!!!!

Really?? this is all my mom wants to hear about. She even has 10/15 marked up on her calendar. On Sunday when I woke up, she said "15 more days!" As if I didn't have enough anxiety already.... :laugh:

But congrats on your second acceptance! And I second what QTCL said about how she sent her thank you notes. I, on the other hand, wasted an hour and a half trying to search school websites for my interviewers addresses before realizing I should just do it c/o Office of Admissions.

good luck everyone!!!!

That's crazy, in the best possible way! Congrats!!!