2012-2013 Social Thread!! Let's start networking!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you think the MCAT was the deciding factor in not getting in the first time? You need to show that you improved yourself in some way for the re-app, so if you didn't re-do the MCAT then you need to have other things to show how you've improved.

Unless you're not getting in the first time was purely due to mistakes with applying (i.e. applying too late and not to a broad enough school selection).

Just my $0.02 but hey what do I know...I'm just getting ready for my first application cycle :laugh:

My weakest point was my GPA, not my MCAT. I'm sitting on a couple wait list positions now. Everything else was fine, I'm actually worried about having to rework what I believe to be a brilliant personal statement. I've been working full time in the same job for almost two years, so nothing else is really different except for the fact that I'll be going to a special masters in the fall if I don't get pulled off the waitlist. I really don't want to wait to finish the masters to reapply.

Members don't see this ad.

My weakest point was my GPA, not my MCAT. I'm sitting on a couple wait list positions now. Everything else was fine, I'm actually worried about having to rework what I believe to be a brilliant personal statement. I've been working full time in the same job for almost two years, so nothing else is really different except for the fact that I'll be going to a special masters in the fall if I don't get pulled off the waitlist. I really don't want to wait to finish the masters to reapply.

what was your GPA if you don't mind sharing?

and did you apply broadly? both MD and DO? where are you on waitlist at?

what was your GPA if you don't mind sharing?

and did you apply broadly? both MD and DO? where are you on waitlist at?

I don't like posting it because it's low, but you could probably figure it out if you go through my posts. There's also no trend; I had a rough start and then some life upheavals in my junior year.

I applied wherever made the most sense given my resources (ie until I ran out of money) and where I wanted to be. I ended up being sent 6 secondaries, had 4 interviews, and 3 waitlists. I want to go to USC the most.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't like posting it because it's low, but you could probably figure it out if you go through my posts. There's also no trend; I had a rough start and then some life upheavals in my junior year.

I applied wherever made the most sense given my resources (ie until I ran out of money) and where I wanted to be. I ended up being sent 6 secondaries, had 4 interviews, and 3 waitlists. I want to go to USC the most.

4 interviews from 6 secondaries isn't too bad. Did you apply early? How many primaries did you complete? Can you contact the school you were rejected from for feedback?

I get the impression that if you are invited for an interview at a particular school academics is not the concern of your app, otherwise the wouldn't have invited you.

4 interviews from 6 secondaries isn't too bad. Did you apply early? How many primaries did you complete? Can you contact the school you were rejected from for feedback?

I get the impression that if you are invited for an interview at a particular school academics is not the concern of your app, otherwise the wouldn't have invited you.

Submitted August 1, verified August 26 or thereabouts. I have contacted the schools that don't say "we don't give feedback," they all say GPA. Which is the big, glaring red flag of my profile. I've been grilled on it in all my interviews that weren't blind. I knew it going into applications that it would be an issue.

I'm an older applicant and I've had some really fantastic experiences in the workforce and I can write well. I think all of those things contributed to me having interviews at all.

I think I'm not going to do the MCAT again. Now that I think about it, only one school told me I should think about it and the amount of money I'd have to spend for a considerable change in my score (new study materials) I just don't have. Thanks for everyone's input!

Submitted August 1, verified August 26 or thereabouts. I have contacted the schools that don't say "we don't give feedback," they all say GPA. Which is the big, glaring red flag of my profile. I've been grilled on it in all my interviews that weren't blind. I knew it going into applications that it would be an issue.

I'm an older applicant and I've had some really fantastic experiences in the workforce and I can write well. I think all of those things contributed to me having interviews at all.

I think I'm not going to do the MCAT again. Now that I think about it, only one school told me I should think about it and the amount of money I'd have to spend for a considerable change in my score (new study materials) I just don't have. Thanks for everyone's input!

Yeah I wouldn't retake the MCAT... It's too risky that your score will drop.

Were any of your interviews MMI format? The MMI allowed me to demonstrate the significance of my non-traditional experiences through critical thinking. In someways the exposure of such experiences reflects a cognitive competence that almost compensates for "mediocre" academic performance.

Hopefully you don't have to reapply, if you do I'd definitely apply to schools that use an MMI in their interview process - those are the ones that are truly holistic IMO.

And yes if schools are saying that your GPA was the problem, then go ahead and do an SMP.

No MMI's. I'll probably have to choose between two different SMP programs in 1-2 weeks.

No MMI's. I'll probably have to choose between two different SMP programs in 1-2 weeks.

I hear that there is significant wait-list movement in June for USC, and it looks like a good number of people have withdrawn their acceptances. You have about 2 solid months to hear good news. I would prep for reapplying, but send in meaningful letters of update every month and continue hoping for the best :)

Whatsup guys. I just completed the first year of my post bacc and I'm applying next year. Looking forward to chatting with all of you.

Quick question, when did you all start studying for the MCAT? I'm planning on taking it in March/April.

Whatsup guys. I just completed the first year of my post bacc and I'm applying next year. Looking forward to chatting with all of you.

Quick question, when did you all start studying for the MCAT? I'm planning on taking it in March/April.

Welcome Welcome, I started studying around early Feb and took test end of May.

I think in another thread they were talking about Mcat test questions or something like that.

Oh god please don't put my account on hold now :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
Free ChemEngMD!! lol.... but forreal

So this probably violates TOS lol but Whyyyyyyyy is ChemEngMD's account on hold?????

:confused: I didn't even know that could happen.

I think in another thread they were talking about Mcat test questions or something like that.

Oh god please don't put my account on hold now :scared:

Free ChemEngMD!! lol.... but forreal

I'm free!!! I did a week stint in the county cause they trying to hold a brother back, but I'm out and running the streets again...tell somebody

But for real I appreciate yall's support... the mods got a little trigger happy about a comment I made about my MCAT... oh well lol def not an AAMC offense

I'm free!!! I did a week stint in the county cause they trying to hold a brother back, but I'm out and running the streets again...tell somebody

But for real I appreciate yall's support... the mods got a little trigger happy about a comment I made about my MCAT... oh well lol def not an AAMC offense

keep-calm-and-free-my-brother.png

Good to have you back!

:thumbup: well I hope the exam at least went well for ya

So what's everybody up to this summer? I'm currently in the lab wishing we had windows :laugh:

Class of 2017 med school. What school are you going to again? My class is planing a trip to Vegas before school begins. I love my school.

UCLA. And your school already has plans for a trip! I don't think we have talked about anything just yet for our class. I know a couple of people who will be your classmates, they are pretty awesome.

UCLA. And your school already has plans for a trip! I don't think we have talked about anything just yet for our class. I know a couple of people who will be your classmates, they are pretty awesome.

Starting to plan. So how are the people at UCLA? How would you compare them to the people you know at UCSF?

Dang...just when it was getting juicy :laugh:

Don't worry, I am sure you will soon enough you will have your own stories. Plus our conversation wasn't too juicy, except for maybe the Vegas trip.

Any of you guys watching game of thrones tomorrow? Last weekends episode had me like :wow::wow: then :cry::cry: I'm a sensitive man.

Any of you guys watching game of thrones tomorrow? Last weekends episode had me like :wow::wow: then :cry::cry: I'm a sensitive man.

I'm proud of you for making it this far into the series without getting that **** spoiled for you. When I read the books that scene tripped me out. I'll be watching tomorrow...I'm really interested to see how they end the season

+1 :laugh: lol that is pretty awesome they have trips planned already, I hope my class is that much fun too!!

Glad you're back ChemEngMD!!!

I appreciate it ;)

I'm proud of you for making it this far into the series without getting that **** spoiled for you. When I read the books that scene tripped me out. I'll be watching tomorrow...I'm really interested to see how they end the season

I take a very active avoidance approach when it comes to GoT, I only converse with people who haven't read the books about the series. Hopefully I can keep this up the next few years.

It's a documentary on NetFlix from PBS's NOVA. I found it to be pretty eye-opening and depressing haha. I think it shed light on the fact that just because you're going to become a Harvard educated doctor (or doctor at all for that matter) doesn't ensure that you are going to have a great life.

It made me a little :scared: about my situation and made me think I need to find a wifey before I get to med school haha

I think that goes without saying. Education isn't everything. Very educated people go about thinking their credentials is the solution to everything and they don't have to try hard in other areas of life - beginning of a miserable life.

I take a very active avoidance approach when it comes to GoT, I only converse with people who haven't read the books about the series. Hopefully I can keep this up the next few years.

The contrast between your old avatar and your new avatar is stark :laugh: ...you selling out on us bro?

Hope everyone is doing well!

Can't complain. How is it going?

I'm chillin, waiting another week for the MCAT scores to come out. The wait is a b*tch cause I just wanna know if I'm going to need to reschedule for August or not. I'm thinking anything below a 29 I'm going to have to reschedule.