Any very low GPA black students have success applying to MD schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

axelz165

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.0 cGPA and 3.21 sGPA. Any of you guys have any luck with similar stats getting into MD schools?

If so what MCAT did you get?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a 3.0 cGPA and 3.21 sGPA. Any of you guys have any luck with similar stats getting into MD schools?

If so what MCAT did you get?
Not me personally but I've have seen GPAs around here of those sorts.

Honestly and realistically you'll need a 504+ for MD and 498+ for DO

Members don't see this ad :)
That's it? lol
Yeah. Obviously, you should aim higher so it can expand your options but if we're being totally realistic here then yes.

As long as the rest of your app is solid and your essays are top notch. The average matriculant cGPA and mcat for AAs are ~3.4 and 502 respectively. It's even better if you're a black male, as they're more rare.

You can PM me for more specifics :)

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah. Obviously, you should aim higher so it can expand your options but if we're being totally realistic here then yes.

As long as the rest of your app is solid and your essays are top notch. The average matriculant cGPA and mcat for AAs are ~3.4 and 502 respectively. It's even better if you're a black male, as they're more rare.

Hey! Black male here interested mental health or health care (but heavily leaning towards mental health). Was wondering how rare it actually is for black men to be in healthcare? Not something I've actually thought about until recently, but I'm not quite sure how it will affect me in the future... I'm hoping it's not a huge deal and most people wouldn't really care?

Hey! Black male here interested mental health or health care (but heavily leaning towards mental health). Was wondering how rare it actually is for black men to be in healthcare? Not something I've actually thought about until recently, but I'm not quite sure how it will affect me in the future... I'm hoping it's not a huge deal and most people wouldn't really care?
I'm not sure in what context you are asking your questions but I would generally say that once you gain admission to medical school the possiblities are certainly endless.

Black men in are RARE in all areas of healthcare and even more so in mental health I presume. As rare as they are they are definitely sought after, and rightfully so.

They are definitely needed and can serve as great role models to other black males interested into going into medicine.

I'm not sure in what context you are asking your questions but I would generally say that once you gain admission to medical school the possiblities are certainly endless.

Black men in are RARE in all areas of healthcare and even more so in mental health I presume. As rare as they are they are definitely sought after, and rightfully so.

They are definitely needed and can serve as great role models to other black males interested into going into medicine.

Oh sorry for lack of context. I have family members with 'good' jobs who have expressed me that people were kind of taken back when they walked into a meeting and others saw that they were black, and I was just kind of hoping that's something I wouldn't have to experience. :) I think if I noticed that happening to me it would make me really uncomfortable!

Glad to hear that we are needed, that's awesome. I'll try my best.

Oh sorry for lack of context. I have family members with 'good' jobs who have expressed me that people were kind of taken back when they walked into a meeting and others saw that they were black, and I was just kind of hoping that's something I wouldn't have to experience. :) I think if I noticed that happening to me it would make me really uncomfortable!

Glad to hear that we are needed, that's awesome. I'll try my best.
You'll definitely get those types of reactions though as your numbers aren't many.

However, that shouldn't stop you from pursing medicine. People like that are usually ignorant or culturally unaware at best. It definitely can be an uncomfortable experience but it comes with the territory but you'll also receive many positive reactions from those who will see you as an inspiration.

Don't fret.

Reactions: 2 users

Hey can I PM you about my progress so far?

A good MCAT score can effectively erase any bad GPA you have, so work hard at that MCAT and you won't have to spend 50K on a post bacc!

A good MCAT score can effectively erase any bad GPA you have, so work hard at that MCAT and you won't have to spend 50K on a post bacc!
No. Just no.

For OP: Use this to get an idea. Set the GPA slider to 3.0 and applicant race to "Black" and play with the MCAT slider. The only caveat to keep in mind is that this data is limited, and doesn't factor important parts of an application like research, EC's, what schools those students applied to.
Check these out or more specifically for black applicants here. Without knowing if you've had extenuating circumstances. A 3.0 GPA does not instill confidence in a "high" MCAT score.
Your best bet if you are dying to get in this cycle is HBCU's, mid tier schools, and a few reach schools.

Otherwise check out SMP's. There are a few out there that are specifically geared to URM's i.e. Drexel's DPMS (which has a direct acceptance to Drexel's med school) or BU's MAMS, Gtown's GEMS. Showing an improved academic record in any of these would make you a competitive applicant for higher-tier medical schools/would give you options rather than just hoping to get in somewhere.

Why do you disagree?
If you'd like, feel free to PM me. I'll discuss with you there as to not de-rail this thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
No success yet, but hopefully I can own this upcoming mcat in July to have a better response soon

If race has such importance, why is it rated "low" on the chart as far as factors affecting application chances?

If race has such importance, why is it rated "low" on the chart as far as factors affecting application chances?
No one wants to admit how big a factor race is with med admissions.

But you still have to convince an adcom you can pass regardless of the racial admissions advantage. So get good grades and study for the mcat

Oh I don't have to worry about that. Im native American but not enough to count, and no tribal affiliation :unsure:

Wait are you all really saying a high MCAT and URM status is enough to overcome a low GPA? Because all the advice I'm getting is to do an SMP...

Wait are you all really saying a high MCAT and URM status is enough to overcome a low GPA? Because all the advice I'm getting is to do an SMP...
Edit: Start sarcasm
Honestly? Yeah. Expectations are lower and easier to meet/exceed. The hypocrisy of it all is maddening
Edit: End sarcasm

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
What do you mean by hypocrisy?
Basically ORMs are mad that it's "easier" for African Americans, Hispanics, Native Americans, and Alaskan Natives to get into med school--when they themselves have to work their butts off just to get their primaries looked at. I find that it's these same ORMs who are culturally incompetent, and have never sought to acquire any formal education on social determinants that set minorities back in life. In fact, their opinion of us is that all the lesser educated/unqualified applicants get into medical school because of their minority status, while "highly" qualified/intelligent Caucasian get rejected every year. So essentially.....the general consensus is that we're "stealing" the medical school spots. And then they wonder why minority patients want minority doctors. If they're attitude as a pre-med is anything to go by, I'm sure it doesn't get any better with residency :thinking:.....

Reactions: 6 users
What do you mean by hypocrisy?
Basically ORMs are mad that it's "easier" for African Americans, Hispanics, Native Americans, and Alaskan Natives to get into med school--when they themselves have to work their butts off just to get their primaries looked at. I find that it's these same ORMs who are culturally incompetent, and have never sought to acquire any formal education on social determinants that set minorities back in life. In fact, their opinion of us is that all the lesser educated/unqualified applicants get into medical school because of their minority status, while "highly" qualified/intelligent Caucasian get rejected every year. So essentially.....the general consensus is that we're "stealing" the medical school spots. And then they wonder why minority patients want minority doctors. If they're attitude as a pre-med is anything to go by, I'm sure it doesn't get any better with residency :thinking:.....
I think you both failed to sense the sarcasm in my last post. I disagreed with the exact statement that @prairiemusic made when MCATdisciple made it earlier. Figured that if I said it dripping with sarcasm prairiemusic would figure it out.
I've edited my previous post to make my sarcasm more apparent.

I think you both failed to sense the sarcasm in my last post. I disagreed with the exact statement that @prairiemusic made when MCATdisciple made it earlier. Figured that if I said it dripping with sarcasm prairiemusic would figure it out.
I've edited my previous post to make my sarcasm more apparent.
Honestly, I was just responding to OP directly. Didn't take the time to read through the entire thread :shrug:

I can understand taking SES into account, but I have had minority friends from higher social strata than I was raised in. I grew up lower middle class from a rural area, and many of my nursing peers grew up wealthier in gated city communities. It isn't as simple as race or ethnicity.

And as much as minorities may want minority doctors, I've heard patients of several races/ethnicities (black, white, Hispanic) complain about foreign doctors. I think its all stupid. If a person can takes care of my family or myself, and can be socially adept enough to explain what's going on, I don't care what color they are, or where they're from. That would be prejudicial.

Last edited:
I can understand taking SES into account, but I have had minority friends from higher social strata than I was raised in. I grew up lower middle class from a rural area, and many of my nursing peers grew up wealthier in gated city communities. It isn't as simple as race or ethnicity.

And as much as minorities may want minority doctors, I've heard patients of several races/ethnicities (black, white, Hispanic) complain about foreign doctors. I think its all stupid. If a person can takes care of my family or myself, and can be socially adept enough to explain what's going on, I don't care what color they are, or where they're from. That would be prejudicial.
True, but I’m from NYC where 90% of the physicians seem to be concentrated in Manhattan. From my interactions with the private practice physicians there, it’s super obvious that the only thing important to them is $$$. The only private practice docs that even remotely appear to give a crap: are the minority physicians and the brave docs willing to practice in underserved neighborhoods (without HRSA incentives). So, it’s not just about race, you’re right. But having a doctor that looks like you, that understands what you’ve gone through, that has lived through what you have lived through, and that cares about your health above all—is something that is very special to patients.

Reactions: 4 users
I guess its different in the South. And I have heard that before from Nurses. I would say at least of Louisiana's nurses are black, but I've had several co workers travel to Minnesota for strikes and they said patients assumed they were Unlicensed Personnel because "black people aren't usually nurses". I think different parts of the United States are different.

I guess its different in the South. And I have heard that before from Nurses. I would say at least of Louisiana's nurses are black, but I've had several co workers travel to Minnesota for strikes and they said patients assumed they were Unlicensed Personnel because "black people aren't usually nurses". I think different parts of the United States are different.
Damn that’s rough. The South sounds like a whole notha world. We definitely don’t have that problem where I’m at, just because the city in and of itself is diverse.

No, I mean in the South people accept having minority nurses and doctors. It was in Minnesota that Ive heard several black nurses say patients dismissed them as aides and were apologetic but surprised that a black person would be a nurse. I think its area dependent. There are so many blacks in Baton Rouge and New Orleans that they are totally immersed in our culture. No one bats an eye seeing them in any role really, period.

Take tonight for instance. I message you from a Step-Down, and we have 7 RN's working, and 3 are African American. 1 is Asian, and 3 of us are Caucasian. Pretty even split.

No, I mean in the South people accept having minority nurses and doctors. It was in Minnesota that Ive heard several black nurses say patients dismissed them as aides and were apologetic but surprised that a black person would be a nurse. I think its area dependent. There are so many blacks in Baton Rouge and New Orleans that they are totally immersed in our culture. No one bats an eye seeing them in any role really, period.

Take tonight for instance. I message you from a Step-Down, and we have 7 RN's working, and 3 are African American. 1 is Asian, and 3 of us are Caucasian. Pretty even split.

Couldn’t agree with this more